Texas Hunting Forum

To Shoot or Not?

Posted By: Stub

To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 12:59 PM

In the stand Sunday morning, there were three young bucks and a couple of does in the field for just a short time because the youngest bucks kept chasing after them nuts and I hate seeing those little pervs run my girls off bang

Okay the bucks and two does are in the field, they turn and look back to the south wood line and here comes a good size boar.
So do you shoot the boar knowing it will spook your deer off this close to the season over one boar?

Well heck yes you do, I gut shot this big boy because there is no way I could get my two wheel truck to drag him off.
So would you have passed for fear of running your deer off right before rifle season?

Went and checked my gun at a 100 yards to make sure it was on, first shot dead on, second to the left, third to the right.

Beautiful morning with a nice view.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 01:27 PM

I don't have a bad hog problem. The ones that show up are shot on site before they settle in. I would have shot him too.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 01:50 PM

If the deer stay I give them a pass. If the deer all run for the hills I shoot them. If no deer and just hogs come up I shoot them.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 02:54 PM

I do just what you did unless there was a real shooter out there. I mean a buck 160" or better.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 03:26 PM

Kill em all
Posted By: janie

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 03:27 PM

Bang bang. I would've shot the hog.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 04:09 PM

There are very few scenarios that will prevent me from passing a shot on a hog.

And Stub, you really need a suppressor. It is an invaluable tool, especially for situations like this. A shot on a hog might not have even ran the deer off. It is very Sniper-ry.
Posted By: PMK

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 06:12 PM

standing orders are to kill every hog possible ... the deer will come back
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 06:14 PM

Hogs have ruined more hunts by showing up. They die not matter when it is or what is around.
Posted By: don k

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 06:18 PM

I shoot hogs or coyotes first anytime I seen them
Posted By: Scott W

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 06:21 PM

Saw this on a hunting TV show a few years back and it's stuck with me. I think it works for pigs/hogs too.

"You know the best time to shoot a coyote? When you see one!"

Yes, I would've shot the pig in a heartbeat.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 06:42 PM

yes, wouldn't have hesitated on the pig. The deer aren't going to run far, they know the feeder is there and will be back.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 09:06 PM

Last season I shot 2 hogs in some wheat by my feeder when I got to the the stand. Within minutes I had several deer walk right by the dead hogs to go eat corn. Later I had five buck feeding and a coyote chasing a rabbit ran right between the bucks. They all just stood there staring at it. I dropped the yote and the deer ran a few yards, turned around and looked at the dead yote, and then went right back to feeding. So what i'm trying to say is I shoot them when I see them grin
Posted By: spg

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 09:12 PM

Depends, deer are used to seeing hogs and not so used to gunshots. The way I see it, there will be plenty of time to shoot the hogs and limited time to shoot the deer your after. If I've shot the deer I'm after already and I'm just hunting culls I'd shoot the hog on site.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 09:32 PM

That boy is more than good size! Yep, would have shot him.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
standing orders are to kill every hog possible ... the deer will come back
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 09:43 PM

It will be deer SEASON, not deer MINUTE, LOL. As PMK said, the deer will come back.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/22/18 10:15 PM

I wouldn't gut shot an animal on purpose, not even a hog.
Posted By: Stub

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I wouldn't gut shot an animal on purpose, not even a hog.

To each his own and I understand how some people might be adverse to it.

Think about the other side of it Scott, what letting him walk means.
For example crop damage also damage to native plants, more proliferation of their invasive species, damage to the native wildlife whether it is quail, small mammals and so on. Deadly bacteria they create in small creeks and reservoirs and the list goes on.

So you have to consider the consequences of just letting one walk and the consequences are to grave.

BTW I do not like to see any kind of animal suffer but in this case it is an unfortunate situation that had to be done for the greater good.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 12:24 AM

On a morning hunt our pigs will go away after first light and still allow for a decent hunt. In the evening, you might as well shoot, the pigs will be there till dark.
I will shoot every pig I see.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 12:24 AM

I've had a guy shoot a deer in the pen. They all came back within minutes. Milled around the dead one like they were PO'd cuz they couldn't get to the corn she was laying on.

Shoot the freakin' hog.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
I've had a guy shoot a deer in the pen. They all came back within minutes. Milled around the dead one like they were PO'd cuz they couldn't get to the corn she was laying on.

Shoot the freakin' hog.

I have seen hogs roll another hog over so they could get the corn from under their dead buddy.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder

Shoot the freakin' hog.

I have seen hogs roll another hog over so they could get the corn from under their dead buddy.

Had a big boar go feed on one I had shot the day before. Shot him too.
Posted By: JCO

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 02:09 AM

I would. He’s a big one for sure.
Posted By: PMK

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 01:38 PM

a couple weeks back, I had a group of pigs come to the feeder, lined several up, BANG! ... one dropped in it's tracks about 3-4 foot from the feeder, 2 others went squealing off into the brush, a few minutes later a young 6 point came out a bit cautiously but went to the feeder and went to eating corn around the dead pig. A few minutes later on the other side of the stand, out pops a coyote, BANG! ... 6 point jumps and runs into the brush, but came back out about 5 minutes later and went back to work on the corn around the dead pig, stayed until corn was gone before walking off. That was after 2 shots from a unsilenced 7mm Mag, didn't seem to mind too much.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 05:21 PM

texas I shoot every hog every time I see them. No exceptions. up
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 07:25 PM

definitely shoot the pig.
Posted By: Payne

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
They die no matter when it is or what is around.
Posted By: Old_School

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 08:33 PM

I agree with the other posters. A spotted pig should be a dead pig. The deer will come back. You just don't want that hog coming back up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 09:24 PM

By no means am I complaining, but after penning 2 of our 4 feeders that saw the most hog activity we rarely see hogs on a hunt. I think we only shot hogs 2 times last season from the blinds. Before penning those two feeders it was not uncommon to shoot two hogs in consecutive hunts. For whatever reason on our place the hogs really only seem to like those two feeders.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 09:58 PM

What happened to the theory of not shooting deer at the feeder...or in this case a pig? confused2
Posted By: don k

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/23/18 10:47 PM

Is shooting a Deer at a feeder the same as shooting a HF Deer?
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/24/18 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
Is shooting a Deer at a feeder the same as shooting a HF Deer?

No, unless the feeder is on a high fence property. I've hunted a couple seasons where I never saw a deer. That doesn't happen on HF properties. The expectation is that you are going to get the animal you paid for.
Posted By: gusick

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/24/18 03:44 AM

I'd shoot the pig in the ear, then do the Texas heart shot on the deer on the left.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: To Shoot or Not? - 10/24/18 09:20 PM

Shoot all hogs on sight! Standing rule and if at my Dad's place you don't get invited back if you do not shoot on sight. Hasn't affected deer at feeders but the mature deer don't come to the feeders anyway.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum