Texas Hunting Forum

Aggie Forecast on Hunting Season

Posted By: ndhunter

Aggie Forecast on Hunting Season - 10/12/18 03:15 PM

Quote:
“Hunters in areas that experienced drought conditions can expect reduced numbers because of the heat and lack of rain and nutrition on the ground,” he said. “Young animals will probably be a little poorly going into the season, though recent rains may help them bounce back a little. But generally, hunters aren’t going to see the quality on a region-to-region basis that they might have seen the last few years.”

https://www.theeagle.com/news/a_m/hot-dr...35570772da.html

They have been looking a bit skinny on the game cams.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Aggie Forecast on Hunting Season - 10/12/18 04:23 PM

I guess I'll count myself lucky. We're seeing some really healthy deer (young and old) in person and on camera. Had good rain in the spring, dry hot summer and then good rain recently.

I think the advantage I have is the San Saba river is less than a mile from our ranch and we have a few springs on the property that didn't run dry. We only had a few months of brown landscape but we had protein available.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Aggie Forecast on Hunting Season - 10/12/18 06:55 PM

No rain in spring and early summer won't help horn development, but I have been surprised at the antlers we've got on game cams.

All the recent rain is going to make hunting tough, IMO. They were pounding feeders all summer but now have lots to eat.
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Aggie Forecast on Hunting Season - 10/25/18 07:08 PM

We were seeing a lot of animals on game cams throughout mid and late summer, but between the epic crop of acorns and all of the tender green stuff growing, we've seen a steep drop off. We expect early season to be slow, but once it gets cold and all they have to eat is corn and lead, it will get better! smile
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Aggie Forecast on Hunting Season - 10/25/18 07:13 PM

We had good spring rain and early summer. THe deer ive seen on camera so far look very healthy. I think it will be a good year in our area
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum