Texas Hunting Forum

First BowkillS

Posted By: PoppinPiggies

First BowkillS - 10/08/18 03:42 PM

Last year I was forced to start bowhunting since my uncle's ranch where I primarily hunt was made to be bow only in regards to deer. So reluctantly I started shooting at targets and despite sitting in the stand almost every weekend last season I never had the opportunity to sling an arrow at a shooter buck. I did have a pig in range once but when I drew back my chair squeaked and it took off. Another time, frustrated at my lack of bloodshed with the bow, I slung an arrow at and almost hit a mallard duck (I was getting desperate). After deer season I went back to popping piggies with guns like I always do but at on Friday I FINALLY got a chance to let an arrow fly. I was hunting a stand we call the Cactus Patch that sits on the side of a hill.
I was getting ready to get out of the stand after seeing no deer and in the distance I saw a black shape working its way slowly towards me. I hurried and put my release back on and pulled and arrow out of the quiver. A sow and 4 piglets cam out and started chowing down on the corn. I watched them for about 5 minutes until I got a clear broadside shot on the sow, I pulled back put the pin on her vitals and touched the release. THWACK! The broadhead nailed her and she took off running, being 10 feet up in a blind plus being on the side of a hill I could see her run turn into a slow walk after about 40 yards and then I saw her fall about 100 yards away. At this point I was wanting to do a happy dance but I noticed that the 4 piglets were still under the feeder. I grabbed another arrow, waited for two to lineup and sent a broadhead their way. It passed through the first one and stuck in the second. The first one made it to the tall grass screaming before I heard it tumbling around, dead. I ran back to my truck to put my bow up and get a flashlight. On the way back the adrenaline was wearing off and I realized that there were thousands of mosquitos attacking me. I ran took a pic of the piglet under the feeder and through him in the bushes after retrieving the arrow and then high tailed it back to my truck. Couldn't of asked for a better introduction into bowhunting success and though I started this journey reluctantly I might be hooked!
Posted By: titan2232

Re: First BowkillS - 10/08/18 03:48 PM

"Bleeding like a stuck pig"

Nice work and welcome to bow hunting
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: First BowkillS - 10/08/18 03:51 PM

Sweet
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: First BowkillS - 10/08/18 05:15 PM

Congratulations! Good shooting!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: First BowkillS - 10/08/18 05:17 PM

Goodness! Nice work! And that is a lot of blood!
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: First BowkillS - 10/08/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Goodness! Nice work! And that is a lot of blood!

Thanks! I think a lot of the blood might be spray from the first piglet the arrow went through.
Posted By: Western

Re: First BowkillS - 10/08/18 05:24 PM

"pig on a stick" up
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: First BowkillS - 10/08/18 09:32 PM

I've gotten two with one arrow a couple times. One member of our lease got three a couple years ago. Congrats on your new addiction.
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: First BowkillS - 10/08/18 10:02 PM

well done sir
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: First BowkillS - 10/08/18 10:42 PM

Great getting 3 is one setting, by the way your pig has a leak.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: First BowkillS - 10/09/18 11:56 AM

Congrats on the hat trick cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum