Texas Hunting Forum

how many carry a sidearm while hunting

Posted By: Mr. T.

how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 07:48 PM

I do always and tell my wife, who is always with me, it is in case we come across hogs, but that is not the reason I carry.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 07:53 PM

I usually have something
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 08:02 PM

confused2 have walked inta a bar on a dar, pistal & fastdraw rig on hip slinger
(made sure it was empty), drank beer, shot pool while listnen ta judbox in d 70's.
Like ta see someone do that know.
flag
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 08:08 PM

Not anymore. I did for a year down in La Salle county when I managed a large ranch and live there alone. I was 34.5 miles from town and closest neighbor was 3 miles from me. If someone showed up on the ranch they were either illegals moving through, in trouble or looking for trouble. Never did see much illegal activity there though...4-5 times per year at most. So after a year I quit carrying.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 08:10 PM

First I very rarely carry a pistol if I am hunting, I am either have a rifle, shotgun, bow or slingbow. Any of which can just about kill anything as good as a pistol. I used to hunt with a pistol, but quit doing that almost 20 years ago.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 08:18 PM

Yes
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 08:25 PM

I primarily handgun hunt these days so I usually carry a hunting-type revolver.
Posted By: GLC

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 08:28 PM

Yes for sure, 9mm, first 3 rounds are snake shot and after that FMJ. Extra mag for hollow point.
Posted By: 7six2

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 08:39 PM

I have been for the last few years because I dont trust people. If some lunatic is in the woods and trying to kill me a pistol provides a few more chunks of lead that I can throw at him...and strapped to my hip its less likely to be seperated from me.

REALISTICALLY though, I'm probably overly thinking about potential threats; and am much more deadly with the rifle in my hands anyways.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 08:47 PM

Carry an old Colt .22 Peacemaker with bird shot for rattlers
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 08:48 PM

I carry a sidearm when I'm not hunting...and when I am hunting...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 09:11 PM

I carry one to check traps and one when im bow hunting. I bow hunt on the ground. First thing I shot was a boar just shy of 200 lbs. I shot him at about 10 yards, I was sitting indian style on the ground eye level with him. He came in to the feeder 20 minutes before the feeder went off and pretty much laid down on the other side of the bush I was sitting next to. When I knew he was there I was really glad to have my Blackhawk laid across my lap. Never needed it probably wouldn't have done me any good in the quarters I was in but it felt good to have it.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 09:22 PM

I do. had to finish a deer off with my 380 last year. Shot a doe, and hit her about 20" from where i was aiming. Took out her back legs. Missed all other 9 shots i had with me. Turns out I had a scope failure. She finally ran herself into the corner of a goat panel fence and couldnt get away, but still had alot of life in her. If it hadnt been for having the 380 in my pocket, i couldnt have dispatched her. She was still way too lively to get her with a knife. I shot her twice in the neck from about 20 ft.

It was not a fun experience.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 09:30 PM

I do.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 10:00 PM

I don't carry a pistol for hunting, but when I carry a pistol, I sometimes go hunting.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 10:06 PM

yes
Posted By: J.G.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Originally Posted By: unclebubba
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 10:18 PM

Only during bow hunts. My wife saw a cougar last year near her blind and we both decided it would be less tense when we take our morning stands in the dark to have something to at least scare of a curious kitty.
Posted By: DH3

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/03/18 11:36 PM

I carry a single action revolver in a belt holster. I use it instesd of my rifle for close (< 30 yards) shots.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 12:31 AM

No, I have not in Texas, unless it is what I plan to hunt with. I prefer to travel light.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 12:44 AM

I carry my .44 mag sometimes if I'm going to be hunting an area where I might get a pistol shot at a deer or pig. I haven't killed either with a pistol yet and would like to some day.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 12:52 AM

I carry a Ruger .22 usually a 22/45. For dispatching not quite dead hogs and for other critters or just playing.
Posted By: JCB

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 01:07 AM

Always. Its a heck of a lot easier to track a pig or deer with a pistol than it is a rifle where I hunt.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 01:17 AM

You bet. Used it.
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 01:43 AM

Used to but not as much these days. Exception is one place that I hunt is in a rough part of the county. Snakes, aggressive dogs and bad guys are the concern. Luckily, only needed it on a few cotton mouths thus far. Carry a .38 with bird shot first pull then hollow points follow in the wheel.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 02:39 AM

Yep, G20.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I do. had to finish a deer off with my 380 last year. Shot a doe, and hit her about 20" from where i was aiming. Took out her back legs. Missed all other 9 shots i had with me. Turns out I had a scope failure. She finally ran herself into the corner of a goat panel fence and couldnt get away, but still had alot of life in her. If it hadnt been for having the 380 in my pocket, i couldnt have dispatched her. She was still way too lively to get her with a knife. I shot her twice in the neck from about 20 ft.

You only carry 10 rounds into the woods? Shoot, I came from the school of “always take enough gun and enough ammunition...never know when either one might come in handy.

Oops, sorry...any time I am bow hunting, hog hunting, or fishing, I take a sidearm. Some of the areas I hunt/fish have big cats, and I occasioanlly seem to stumble into them, or their leftovers, mostly at or just after dark. Actually, at times when I am just checking the fence line, hunting up lost cattle, or repairing water gaps near the river, I will strap a sidearm on, just for safety sake. Usually, not necessary though. And when I am hiking in the mountains, I always carry a sidearm. So yea, I guess I fit the category of I carry a sidearm when I bow hunt and when I’m not hunting, as well...never really thought about that way...
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 04:33 AM

On our lease only if you plan to pop a snake. We are surrounded by LO other property and would be very dumb to mess with him or kin. If you want to feel like a cowboy, be my guest but not needed there.

Down south, it is recommended at some places but they normally have a reason.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: crapicat

You only carry 10 rounds into the woods? Shoot, I came from the school of “always take enough gun and enough ammunition...never know when either one might come in handy.

Oops, sorry...any time I am bow hunting, hog hunting, or fishing, I take a sidearm. Some of the areas I hunt/fish have big cats, and I occasioanlly seem to stumble into them, or their leftovers, mostly at or just after dark. Actually, at times when I am just checking the fence line, hunting up lost cattle, or repairing water gaps near the river, I will strap a sidearm on, just for safety sake. Usually, not necessary though. And when I am hiking in the mountains, I always carry a sidearm. So yea, I guess I fit the category of I carry a sidearm when I bow hunt and when I’m not hunting, as well...never really thought about that way...

wouldnt have mattered in this case. i didnt know i had a scope problem. i thought i was getting flustered and just barely missing shots. I would have probably shot all 20 rounds at that deer as she was dragging her self into the brush. wasnt till i took it to the range that i realized it was several feet off, and seemed to be changing poi with every shot.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: crapicat

wouldnt have mattered in this case. i didnt know i had a scope problem. i thought i was getting flustered and just barely missing shots. I would have probably shot all 20 rounds at that deer as she was dragging her self into the brush. wasnt till i took it to the range that i realized it was several feet off, and seemed to be changing poi with every shot.

Anytime I miss a couple shots, at a close target, I realize it’s not me...so in that situation, I will just look down the side of the barrel and take the finishing shot. Then go deal with my scope or open sight issue (which is another way of saying I have been there and suffered through it, as well.). Hope this information helps!

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 12:06 PM

Reason I always carry in the woods in East Texas, even on my on property is that people make a living there two ways, timber and meth.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/04/18 03:14 PM

Always on my hip...from the moment I open the front gate to the moment I close it behind me when I leave.
Posted By: gwl2

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/08/18 08:46 PM

Nothing here
Posted By: fouzman

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/08/18 08:56 PM

My wife and I always carry while at our place near Laredo. I've written previously about 'encounters' with uninviteds. Plus, all rattlesnakes we come across get shot immediately, so having a gun on your hip comes in handy.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/08/18 09:09 PM

If I am hunting with my AR then I dont see a need to carry a pistol. But if I am carrying my muzzy then yes I do carry it.

Im thinking about carrying it on my mulie hunt this year although i really dont want to but walking to and from the truck in the dark in a strange place with a large population of cougars may have to keep my sidearm close at hand.
Posted By: JCO

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/09/18 04:12 AM

Depends on the situation. Bow hunting then yes. Predator hunting with the AR then no. Anything with a shotgun is no. Rifle hunting depends on the time of year. If the snakes are out then so is the handgun.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/09/18 08:26 PM

I carry
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/09/18 09:50 PM

No.
Posted By: roughneck266

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/09/18 09:55 PM

Every time I hunt.
Posted By: boonee

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/10/18 12:41 AM

Glock 20 with a full load of hot handloads!
Posted By: gwl2

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/11/18 01:58 AM

After seeing two copperheads today I’ll be packing some heat for sure next time
Posted By: crash700

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/11/18 02:00 AM

Every time I go in the woods, not for animals as much as for 2 legged vermin.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/11/18 03:07 AM

I do. my blind and area I hunt is right near a bedding area of prolly 40 hogs. And coyote, mt lion, and bobcat. Don't forget big ol Sasquatch.....sshss he's real
Posted By: amaneckred

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 02:40 AM

I do.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 08:33 AM

If the GSA is paying my wages and the contract stipulates sidearms, yes. Otherwise, no.

I'm suprised how many hunters pack a sidearm. I typically hunt with a hell of a lot more firepower than pistol calibers so I don't see the reason to pack. If you can't hit it with a longarm, a short barreled small caliber sidearm isn't going to accomplish much other than providing a last minute exit strategy when you start running out of steam and that grizzly you've beeen evading is about to sit down to dinner.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 08:43 AM

Originally Posted By: gwl2
After seeing two copperheads today I’ll be packing some heat for sure next time

I haven't seen a copperhead that could outrun a man. Those two have hind legs?
Posted By: mow

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: aerangis
If the GSA is paying my wages and the contract stipulates sidearms, yes. Otherwise, no.

I'm suprised how many hunters pack a sidearm. I typically hunt with a hell of a lot more firepower than pistol calibers so I don't see the reason to pack. If you can't hit it with a longarm, a short barreled small caliber sidearm isn't going to accomplish much other than providing a last minute exit strategy when you start running out of steam and that grizzly you've beeen evading is about to sit down to dinner.

no grizzlys(i hope) where i hunt in west texas..but i carry..makes me feel more safe..with black angus cattle running around and hitting atvs banana

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 11:57 AM

The four legged animals running around is not the reason I carry.
Posted By: TLew

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 09:10 PM

I understand the reasoning behind those who say they don't carry a pistol when they have a rifle...but that only works for plan A. What happens if you have a malfunction with your rifle? Firing pin, bolt, stuck safety, etc...gotta think about plan B and even C.

There's a reason why I carry two shotguns when I go bird hunting. I've actually had a shotgun stop working and ruin a hunt. Imagine if you were staring down a big boar or mt lion and your rifle does that
Posted By: don k

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TLew
I understand the reasoning behind those who say they don't carry a pistol when they have a rifle...but that only works for plan A. What happens if you have a malfunction with your rifle? Firing pin, bolt, stuck safety, etc...gotta think about plan B and even C.

There's a reason why I carry two shotguns when I go bird hunting. I've actually had a shotgun stop working and ruin a hunt. Imagine if you were staring down a big boar or mt lion and your rifle does that
And how often does any of that happen?
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.

Exactly!
Posted By: Rustler

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 11:13 PM

Y'all must hunt or own property in some really rough neighborhoods.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Pappybear

Exactly!

Yup, two legged and no legged are more of an issue.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/12/18 11:31 PM

If I have a rifle in my hands I don’t need a pistol. There is a chance I’ll miss what I’m aiming at with that pistol. Not much chance of that with a rifle.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/13/18 01:51 AM

I have been carrying my NAA Black Widow in 22 mag lately. I just enjoy carrying when in the bush, usually just a 22 but what ever I feel like at the time. I like to plink and play and dispatch hogs that are still kicking, maybe snakes, maybe squirrels who knows. I do not carry daily, don't need one for humans.
Posted By: DeleteThisAccount

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/13/18 02:36 AM

I always pack a .40 Glock with me, hunting or otherwise.

Lots of great reasons to do so. If you can't think of what any of those reasons are, then thinking isn't your strong suit :P

Ultimately, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/13/18 03:49 AM

I never have but will this year.

It's mainly the hogs where I'm at

Last year I had maybe 10-12 around/near the stand past dark on several occasions

The bolt gun and no cell reception I don't think cuts it.

It's just a why take the chance deal
Posted By: Marc K

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/13/18 02:07 PM

Like carrying any other time, it's a personal decision.

The question to me is "why wouldn't I?"

I have never felt threatened,anywhere. But the world is changing quickly and an extra dose of brazenness and violence is included.

Marc
Posted By: mow

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/13/18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: don k

it only has to happen once!
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/13/18 09:21 PM

I do not. More than 1 firearm while in the woods or field
all day does not seem a good carry weight decision for me.

I heard about a man that had a 1911 pistol on his belt while
dove hunting. His explanation was "it's for snakes".
Really? You have a dang shotgun and want a pistol
for snake protection? Really?

Not trying to convince anyone else what to do. Carry 3 guns if you want.
May as well have a backup to your backup.
Posted By: don k

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/13/18 10:12 PM

I shoot better with a rifle than a pistol. Makes no sense to pack the extra weight.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/13/18 10:12 PM

I shoot better with a rifle than a pistol. Makes no sense to pack the extra weight.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/14/18 12:07 AM

WORD
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/14/18 12:21 AM

Me too, but when you are cooking at camp or working the place, then a group of humans all of a sudden pops into your bubble when you don't expect it....will make your hair stand up. There are many many holes on the neighbor's HF where illegals have cut square holes in the high fence to push their bales through. Those guys aren't here for honest work. I will have a handgun on me. They [censored] inside the camp, on the shower floor with no running water. Was there last weekend and found human chit 15 yrds from the front porch pushing a lawn mower. I take my kids hunting, I'll be watching our 6.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/14/18 01:31 AM

Rule 1. Never walk away from your rifle.

Rule 2. Have a pistol on you, if you break rule 1.

Been carrying a pocket knife every day for 26 years. Been carrying a pistol every day for the last two years. Pretty much the same theory as the pocket knife. You get used to having it, and it is there if you need it. A comfortable holster, and a pistol that is not too large and heavy makes it easy. Springfield XDs .45, with a flush mount mag, not the extended mag.
Posted By: TLew

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/16/18 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: mow

it only has to happen once!

Bingo. If we treat this like the lottery, then I already hit the jackpot on a bird hunt. I'd prefer not to hit the jackpot again unless money is actually involved (and I'm alive)
Posted By: Superduty

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/16/18 03:25 AM

Yes, always. Glock 20 10mm.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/16/18 04:13 AM

Carry pistol when bow hunting.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/16/18 06:25 PM

I always carry a handgun as I am a handgun hunter. In fact I usually carry 2, one scoped and 1 open sights.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/16/18 08:58 PM

I never go afield without my sidearm.
Posted By: 280AI

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/17/18 02:51 AM

I don’t.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/17/18 06:08 PM

Have a Beretta Nano in my waist, hunting or not. In the woods of east texas its much easier to skin my 9 than it is to unsling my rifle and get it around, especially when an angry sow plows out from under the brush
Posted By: snake oil

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/17/18 06:51 PM

No. If I'm bow hunting I carry a .223 Contender 16" barreled rifle to the stand for hogs.
Posted By: 6MM

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/17/18 09:26 PM

Yes always
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/18/18 03:21 AM

Always. Usually in .45ACP.
Posted By: TWarren

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/18/18 05:23 PM

Never have even felt the urge to carry and I hunt a lot where black bears and mountain lions roam. Seemed like a waste of energy carrying even more weight around.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/18/18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
No. If I'm bow hunting I carry a .223 Contender 16" barreled rifle to the stand for hogs.

Hopefully not during archery season.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/18/18 06:54 PM

I don’t have a need in West Texas. I’ve been around plenty of people that have. I just want to tell them, “PLEASE stop taking your pistol out, showing it off, telling your what-if scenarios, and pulling that thing out every time we come across a snake!” I guess you never know when the boogey man will get you; have that pistol ready boys!

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/18/18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkE
I don’t have a need in West Texas. I’ve been around plenty of people that have. I just want to tell them, “PLEASE stop taking your pistol out, showing it off, telling your what-if scenarios, and pulling that thing out every time we come across a snake!” I guess you never know when the boogey man will get you; have that pistol ready boys!

It sounds like pistols offend you.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: snake oil

Hopefully not during archery season.
Why not?

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 02:47 PM

Is it legal to carry a rifle to your stand in bow season?

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 03:06 PM

Yes, you haven't committed an offense unless you take a game animal by unlawful means.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

It sounds like pistols offend you.

Pistols don’t offend me but I know what he means. I know you have a sidearm, you don’t have to pull it 10 times a day and show everybody. I don’t trust people enough especially with firearms.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 03:33 PM

i do most of the time, no reason not to.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
Yes, you haven't committed an offense unless you take a game animal by unlawful means.

Thank you, I had to go way back in the Hunting Annual. Prior to 2014, it was illegal to carry a firearm while hunting in archery only season, other than a handgun by a licensed CHL hunter. That did change and it is now lawful to carry a firearm (unless a convicted felon) during archery only season. Just illegal to kill a deer or turkey with the firearm.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 03:43 PM

I always will now. I have needed a pistol twice, and both times didn't have one. We have had some issues with trespassers on our place, and I won't be out on the property without a pistol now. I carry my Glock 20 in 10mm almost all the time out there. On occasion I'll still have my IWB 40 cal on me.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 03:44 PM

Thank you, I had to go way back in the Hunting Annual. Prior to 2014, it was illegal to carry a firearm while hunting in archery only season, other than a handgun by a licensed CHL hunter. That did change and it is now lawful to carry a firearm (unless a convicted felon) during archery only season. Just illegal to kill a deer or turkey with the firearm.
Hard to have a law against something that a person "could" or "may" do. Kinda' like hunting at night with a light, during deer season, on your deer lease out of your stand over your feeder. Not against the law, but ask my Dad and he'll tell you it is, just because he thinks it should be. No disrespect Dad.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 03:56 PM

I don't know what kind of people you hang around/associate with but that is not normal behavior and I've never seen anyone do that. I've only seen respectful and responsible hunters, like myself, carrying a pistol. I've never once seen someone un-holster it and start showing it off. You should probably find different hunters to associate with. If I'm anywhere in the world and my pistol leaves its holster, something is about to die - that's the only reason to be pulling a pistol out (obviously target practice is the exception to that rule). Nor do I know anyone who shoots every damn snake they see - why in the hell would you want to scare off larger game for a snake unless that snake was an imminent danger to you. If you are around people who are just killing everything they come across, you should probably not be around those people - they have serious issues.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 04:06 PM

Hard to have a law against something that a person "could" or "may" do. Kinda' like hunting at night with a light, during deer season, on your deer lease out of your stand over your feeder. Not against the law, but ask my Dad and he'll tell you it is, just because he thinks it should be. No disrespect Dad.

Used to be a law on the books in Texas (and I believe it still is) that is "Illegal to shine a light during deer season where deer are known to roam". Very broad and up to the GW. We were hog hunting one night during deer season and using a Qbeam. Game Warden was waiting for us at camp when we returned. Good idea to call your local GW and let him know you will be spotlighting for hogs or other non-game animals during deer season. Save him a trip and you a headache.

Ok, I found it, but the wording has changed...

Sec. 62.005. HUNTING WITH LIGHT. Except as provided by Section 62.0055 or 62.0056, no person may hunt a game animal or bird protected by this code with the aid of an artificial light that casts or reflects a beam of light onto or otherwise illuminates the game animal or bird, including the headlights of a motor vehicle.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 04:21 PM

"Used to be a law on the books in Texas (and I believe it still is) that is "Illegal to shine a light during deer season where deer are known to roam". Very broad and up to the GW. We were hog hunting one night during deer season and using a Qbeam. Game Warden was waiting for us at camp when we returned. Good idea to call your local GW and let him know you will be spotlighting for hogs or other non-game animals during deer season. Save him a trip and you a headache."

I'd have call BS on this. No offense committed. I'd offer him a beer and a seat at the campfire, and let him have a look around. I doubt the law was ever as originally stated, sounds ridiculous. If this were ever in effect, most people that ever varmint hunted during deer season would be guilty of an offense just for shining a light.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 04:40 PM

"Used to be a law on the books in Texas (and I believe it still is) that is "Illegal to shine a light during deer season where deer are known to roam". Very broad and up to the GW. We were hog hunting one night during deer season and using a Qbeam. Game Warden was waiting for us at camp when we returned. Good idea to call your local GW and let him know you will be spotlighting for hogs or other non-game animals during deer season. Save him a trip and you a headache."

I'd have call BS on this. No offense committed. I'd offer him a beer and a seat at the campfire, and let him have a look around. I doubt the law was ever as originally stated, sounds ridiculous. If this were ever in effect, most people that ever varmint hunted during deer season would be guilty of an offense just for shining a light.

It's not against the law to spotlight non game animals during deer season, regardless of where you are on the ranch. Just give the warden a courtesy call and let him know what you're doing so he doesn't come out for a BS call in the middle of the night, thinking you're after deer. Have done it plenty.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 04:48 PM

I can tell you for a fact that is how the law was written at that time. As for today...

Sec. 62.005. HUNTING WITH LIGHT. Except as provided by Section 62.0055 or 62.0056, no person may hunt a game animal or bird protected by this code with the aid of an artificial light that casts or reflects a beam of light onto or otherwise illuminates the game animal or bird, including the headlights of a motor vehicle.

And as for calling BS, you don't know me from Adam so let me tell you something, I DO NOT LIE and I don't make things up. The story of the GW waiting for us at camp is a true story.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 05:52 PM

I can tell you for a fact that is how the law was written at that time. As for today...

And as for calling BS, you don't know me from Adam so let me tell you something, I DO NOT LIE and I don't make things up. The story of the GW waiting for us at camp is a true story.

Lighten up Francis, I'm talking about the game warden.
Posted By: Soccerdad1995

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 06:04 PM

I carry a handgun always, even though I almost never need it.

I also wear my seatbelt always even though I never need it.

I make sure the smoke detectors in my house are working and that I have a functioning fire extinguisher in my kitchen even though I have never needed either.

I have a first aid kit at home and one in each vehicle even though I almost never need them.

I guess my Boy Scout training just sunk in really well.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 06:10 PM

Really? You stated you doubted the law was ever written that way. You're wrong. As for the GW waiting for us at camp, you're also wrong. As for calling the GW if you're going to be spotlighting during deer season, that is a courtesy to save him a trip and you the hassle. If you don't believe me. Go do some spotlighting during deer season without first notifying your GW and let us know how that works out for you.
Posted By: HuntersAnonymous41

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 06:19 PM

Always, i take no chances. I hunt my families land in LA, lots of outlaws out there. I've had my fare share of face to face interactions with poachers on our property already this year.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 06:31 PM

Really? You stated you doubted the law was ever written that way. You're wrong. As for the GW waiting for us at camp, you're also wrong. As for calling the GW if you're going to be spotlighting during deer season, that is a courtesy to save him a trip and you the hassle. If you don't believe me. Go do some spotlighting during deer season without first notifying your GW and let us know how that works out for you.
OK, have a nice day.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/19/18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Soccerdad1995
I carry a handgun always, even though I almost never need it.

I also wear my seatbelt always even though I never need it.

I make sure the smoke detectors in my house are working and that I have a functioning fire extinguisher in my kitchen even though I have never needed either.

I have a first aid kit at home and one in each vehicle even though I almost never need them.

I guess my Boy Scout training just sunk in really well.

Agreed. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Be prepared, always.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/29/18 02:20 PM

Gonna make sure my flashlight has fresh batteries this weekend. Was told there were 3 rattlers and a copperhead in the area of my ground blind. I'll have my 22 with rat shot on my side, because the 6.8 is a bit much for close encounters of the reptile species. Read to many stories of individuals doing a Superman out their blind window.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 10/29/18 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

It's not against the law to spotlight non game animals during deer season, regardless of where you are on the ranch. Just give the warden a courtesy call and let him know what you're doing so he doesn't come out for a BS call in the middle of the night, thinking you're after deer. Have done it plenty.

When we use to call at night we always let the GW know where and what we would be doing. Simple courtesy.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 11/06/18 03:19 PM

Just got back from our place between Encinal and Laredo. Border Patrol stopped by the house Friday afternoon. They told us they'd caught 5 stolen pick-ups with 80 illegals in them over the past 5 days. On and around our ranch. Another truck with 6 guys and a big load of dope. That's why we always carry a sidearm when we're down there. Traffic in the area has been extremely high of late. Be careful out there folks.

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 11/06/18 03:51 PM

Just got back from our place between Encinal and Laredo. Border Patrol stopped by the house Friday afternoon. They told us they'd caught 5 stolen pick-ups with 80 illegals in them over the past 5 days. On and around our ranch. Another truck with 6 guys and a big load of dope. That's why we always carry a sidearm when we're down there. Traffic in the area has been extremely high of late. Be careful out there folks.

Glad they caught em'.

I'm on a place South of Hebbronville not far from you. BP chased and lost a big group on our place a few weeks ago, had a bird in the air w/trucks & 4 wheelers on the ground and still lost them. BP did stop 2 of the guys on the lease with us while they were setting up a blind that day, and reminded them to watch their 6. Lots of trail cam pics of illegals. We've had a long history of problems with them on the other place I hunt in SE Duval. I've lost count how many times a truck load of illegals was running from the BP and lost it at the T at our place, crashed through our fence into the brush, and bailed onto our place.

Been hunting the South all of my life so I'm used to it, but that doesn't mean letting my guard down. You never know who you're dealing with when it comes to these folks. I've always got a side arm on me, my 20 & 18 yr old kids also carry sidearms at the ranch. My younger kids will do the same when they are old enough. up

Posted By: hawk

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 11/06/18 04:05 PM

Always have a .45 loaded with shot.
Posted By: jim1961

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 11/06/18 04:35 PM

All the time!
Posted By: hetman

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 11/06/18 06:20 PM

As Varmint season get closer I will be more diligent about carrying something on my person: last year Wife and one member of our lease were up early to duck hunt in a SXS with shotgun racked in back of SXS. They ran into 2 trucks of poachers running up and down main lease roads calling and shooting. Met them on road and asked what they were doing - didn't get a very good answer - back of truck had bobcats and fox in bed - wife and lease member were told that they were just road hunting for varmints and its was none of there concern. Found out the had been following oil field roads across 4 ranches and 2 counties. The GW back tracked where they had been . We have had locks cut of gates and found tracks from 4 wheelers and members blinds left open after people were hunting in them. heck even had one poacher drive thru one members hunting area with calls going and lightbar's on while he was setting in his blind. Nothing went wrong this time but: according to GW- IF they are caught : trespassing w/ loaded guns and animals in the truck etc - It is a State Jail felony and trucks and weapons are up for grabs. - That makes it a whole new ballgame as to what they may or may not do. Told wife to stay the hell away from them get a license plate if they can. One problem cell service is very intermittent where we are at, can't always call for help. Took me a long time to get her comfortable going on any part of the lease or her hunting area by herself to have chit like this happen. All it takes is some fool that either has been busted before and knows they are in trouble or someone more scared of losing there high dollar hunting rig to the state to cause a major incident.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 11/07/18 03:31 AM

no, too much weight. I bought a cross draw rig for my S&W 586, just dont strap it on, too heavy though
Posted By: Railhead

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 11/07/18 04:08 AM

Yes, usually carry Ruger 22/45 and have a g22 or S&W .357 in backback.

I was sitting in a V of half fallen oak tree and blew a grunt call early one morning along a creek bottom. Right out of the bottom came 4 big raccoons, the first one came straight up that tree right at me, I was carrying the .357 back then and shot him just as he made contact with the barrel. My day was ruined and I never seen the other 3. I never knew what he thought I was, but I’m sure glad I practiced all those quick draws.

Will be in Hebronville area soon and I will probably carry the S&W and keep the 22 in the bag.
Posted By: DH3

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 11/07/18 10:43 AM

Had my Uberti .45 Colt, saw a Fox but he disappeared before I could get the pistol unlimbered.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: how many carry a sidearm while hunting - 11/07/18 02:31 PM

Couple years ago, walked out to my feeder late at night, pitch black with no flashlight or firearm to adjust an IR floodlight. About 3/4 of the way across, I met up with a hog who greeted me with a grunt from behind. The walk back was the longest ever...

I now ALWAYS have my P220-10MM on me when I'm out there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum