Texas Hunting Forum

Looking For Warm Socks

Posted By: richard-ssv

Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 01:32 PM

I'm in search of some warm socks for late season deer hunting.

I've searched around the internet looking for some, but must hunting socks I'm finding have reviews from spot and stalk hunters who are doing a lot of hiking. I'm looking for socks that will keep my feet warm while sitting still in a blind for 4-5 hours in late December. Any recommendations?
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 02:01 PM

Look for socks that more than 65% Merino Wool.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 02:03 PM

Silk or polypropylene sock liners with wool socks. The sock liners wick the moisture off your feet into the wool, and teh wool is a good form of insulation even when damp or wet.

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 02:39 PM

Any specific brands you guys prefer?
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 02:46 PM

Lots of good sock deals on CamoFire you just have to catch them when they are for sale.
+1 on Merino
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Silk or polypropylene sock liners with wool socks. The sock liners wick the moisture off your feet into the wool, and teh wool is a good form of insulation even when damp or wet.

This is what I do. Really helps prevent blisters and hotspots also.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 02:52 PM

DO you have good boots?

Without good insulated boots your socks will never keep your feet warm no matter how thick they are.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
DO you have good boots?

Without good insulated boots your socks will never keep your feet warm no matter how thick they are.

I don't find this true at all. At least for me I've found that using the method above and buying a 1/2 or sometimes even a size larger boot works better even with non insulated boots. Your boot should not be tight or you can't keep body heat in. You need to create a warm pocket. If they are too tight then the thick socks won't work at all.

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 03:14 PM

Yes, I wear Redhead Tracker boots insulated with Goretex.

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
DO you have good boots?

I don't find this true at all. At least for me I've found that using the method above and buying a 1/2 or sometimes even a size larger boot works better even with non insulated boots. Your boot should not be tight or you can't keep body heat in. You need to create a warm pocket. If they are too tight then the thick socks won't work at all.

The boot size needs to be large enough that YOU DO NOT SLOW DOWN THE BLOOD CIRCULATION. Poor blood circulation can also cause your feet to get cold, if you are old, and your feet feel cold all of the time, you might want to check with a medical professional.
Posted By: OffCoor1

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 03:24 PM

Check out the Bass Pro Redhead Lifetime Guarantee hunting socks. I love mine !! Good Huntin'
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 03:39 PM

The key is to keep your core warm once your core gets cold your body will pull heat from your extremities to help warm your core that’s when your feet and hands get real cold. Merino wool socks will help though.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 03:52 PM

Quote:
I'm looking for socks that will keep my feet warm while sitting still in a blind for 4-5 hours in late December. Any recommendations?

Yes. Do what I do for a long sit in a blind. Take off those dang boots an put on some warm booties.

https://www.amazon.com/Baffin-Unisex-Bas...ds=warm+booties
Posted By: tc/encore

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 04:06 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=thermace...le&ie=UTF-8
Posted By: salth2o

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 04:36 PM

I have a pair of Filson that I have worn for the past few seasons and I have really liked them. I bought a pair of Darn Tough for this season and am anxious to see how they perform. I'm intrigued by their warranty and have heard lots of good things about them.

http://darntough.com/collections/mens-hu...ant=30180653255

Depending on what type of stand you are hunting from, a Buddy Heater can be your best friend!
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: richard-ssv

Browning socks are really good
They have what you are looking for
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/...-pairs?a=540560
The pair I wear a lot
For duck hunting and really cold land hunting
Are the over the knee ones those with a shorter
Pair underneath them should cover you
Posted By: Cast

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 05:03 PM

Thorlo makes great wool socks.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 05:27 PM

Darn tough and smart wool are both good. Wool is the key so if your feet sweat or get wet they stay warm.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 05:33 PM

I use SmartWool mostly but have also used Thorlos, Kenetrek and a couple of others and been perfectly fine with them.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 07:24 PM

Not socks, but the rechargeable Themracell battery powered heaters were game changers for me. Temp's in the single digits, I sat for hours in the open on the river bed and in a blind. Your feet will not get cold, I promise. You don't have to worry about oversizing boots for thick socks. They're good for about 4 hours. Easy to use, about $100.00. You pull the inserts out of your boots, slide these in and you're good. I have some North Face Boots that are awesome. When it's going to be way cold, I take the inserts out, use the Thermacell heaters and stay very comfortable. Your feet don't sweat at all with these, they don't get that hot but keep the temp inside your boots around 70°. Not bad when it's 10° outside.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 09:18 PM

I’ve got a set of wool socks I picked up at bass pro years ago. Super thick and very warm paired with a good insulated boot I’m great except one thing. It makes my feet sweat. I always spray my feet with antiperspirant before putting them on. Works wonders. And I’ve sat in stands for several hours in low temps no issue.

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 09:31 PM

The silk and poly liners have been my go to since the early 1960's when I first hunted in North Dakota, temps could drop below zero. The polypropylene liners work as good and are cheaper, they also last longer. I hunted in snow and ice in Colorado, Nebraska, and other states using these socks. The sock liners wick the moisture off your feet into the wool socks, keeping your feet warm and dry. I also use silk glove liners and wool glove inserts to keep my hands warm.
Posted By: MO

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 10:48 PM

I have some smart wool that I wear fishing in January,.

work great.

Mo
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/12/18 11:57 PM

I have one foot that has been frozen since I was an embryo. And I have sat in tree stands all my life in Colorado, Montana and Wisconsin in the winters as well as so many days on the ice either fishing and other outdoor sports.
For me it is good roomy boots, dry wick socks and those sticky foot warmers(toe warmers) you can buy at walmart or on line.
My right foot is cold right now. LOL
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/13/18 02:33 PM

This... I learned a long time ago if you dont keep your feet dry it doesnt matter what you have on.. In waders and boots I cover my feet lightly with foot powder.. Put on a polyproylene liner and then a mid weight wool blend sock.. never had a issue since then.....
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/13/18 03:44 PM

Bulk pairs of merino wool from Cabelas or Basspro always onsale
Posted By: Trenton

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/13/18 05:44 PM

Under Armour brand continues to impress me for cold weather base layers. Loved the compression thermals so tried their cold gear socks 2 or 3 years back. Awesome stuff! Bought some at cabelas and some on Amazon. Not too bad price wise, tried several different styles and they all worked better than I could have hoped. Their warm weather boot socks are great too
Posted By: Gary Olson

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/13/18 11:19 PM

I use Dahlgren Alpaca/Merino blend socks with a thin boot sock over. My feet never get cold in Kansas winter on the northern plains. Alpaca is lighter and does not itch like Merino wool.

If you want to impress the wife, buy her an alpaca shawl or sweater [but it won't be cheap]
Posted By: mow

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/13/18 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Look for socks that more than 65% Merino Wool.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^X2

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/14/18 12:08 AM

Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate it!

Turns out I’ve had a pair of Smartwool merino wool socks in my drawer for years that I’ve never worn. They’re 73% merino wool. I slipped those bad boys on and oh my gosh, these things feel awesome in my boots. Can’t believe I’ve never worn these?

I’m going to add some more to my collection. I’ve been eyeing the Darn Tough Hunter socks. They have some that are 79% merino wool that get pretty good reviews. I’m looking forward to a season without cold feet!
Posted By: Texasphez

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/14/18 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: richard-ssv

Kuiu, merino wool! Simply the best hunting clothing of anything I have ever used!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/14/18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
Not socks, but the rechargeable Themracell battery powered heaters were game changers for me. Temp's in the single digits, I sat for hours in the open on the river bed and in a blind. Your feet will not get cold, I promise. You don't have to worry about oversizing boots for thick socks. They're good for about 4 hours. Easy to use, about $100.00. You pull the inserts out of your boots, slide these in and you're good. I have some North Face Boots that are awesome. When it's going to be way cold, I take the inserts out, use the Thermacell heaters and stay very comfortable. Your feet don't sweat at all with these, they don't get that hot but keep the temp inside your boots around 70°. Not bad when it's 10° outside.

I have a pair of the first generation of these and love them. I use a mid-weight sock and they keep my feet warm on the coldest of mornings. Just don’t forget to leave the remote control back at camp. Thankfully, that hasn’t happened to me, yet.
Posted By: WEBBYODER

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/15/18 12:35 AM

The only time my feet get cold in Texas is sitting in a blind. Check out ice breakers boot blankets. Game changer.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/16/18 11:31 PM

www.darntough.com
Posted By: Critterskinner

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/16/18 11:48 PM

I just purchase some Darn Tough socks. I wore them this past week in Canada, but it was only in the low 40s. They kept my feet warm and dry. They have a nice fit and feel to them. I will be really putting them to the test in November in Alaska.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/17/18 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Reloder28

Just ordered some for my son and myself. up
Posted By: Texaspilot

Re: Looking For Warm Socks - 09/18/18 02:21 PM

My wife got me some 100% wool socks from ll bean. They are very thick and nice. I think they were a bit spendy but I really like them. My feet get super cold at work and they are great for that. I’ve brought them hunting and they are great there too. Don’t hold odor, don’t get as wet from sweat as other non wool socks as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum