Texas Hunting Forum

Legal distance to fire a shotgun towards a road while bird hunting?

Posted By: Rhinotx210

Legal distance to fire a shotgun towards a road while bird hunting? - 09/10/18 08:58 PM

I recently was dove hunting on TX public land, and several of us were roughly 200 yards away or more from the property line shooting dove as they flew by in all directions. There was a public road on the other side of the property line (again at least 200yds from us if not more), and we are hunting doves with bird shot in our shotguns. Someone walking by stated that it is illegal to shoot across a road. Well of course it is illegal to shoot across a public road, but no matter which direction you look, eventually you will reach a road in the direction you are shooting. So my questions is: how far do you have to be from the road, to legally discharge a shotgun while shooting at birds flying in the air if a roadway is behind them? People were not directly aiming at the road, or aiming low enough to be level with a passerby in a vehicle, but were aiming upwards to shoot at a dove. It was definitely so far away that it would not cause harm to even someone walking by, much less a vehicle or a structure. I cannot find an answer to this question online, and just want to make sure that I can be as safe as possible, and stay in the realm of the law while enjoying Texas hunting. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing your feedback on the matter.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Legal distance to fire a shotgun towards a road while bird hunting? - 09/10/18 09:39 PM

There is no legal distance. Once a pellet crosses the property line into the ROW, you have broken the law. The whole aiming issue to which you are referring is immaterial. Whether or not it will cause any harm is immaterial.

Lymans 4th Edition Shotshell Reloading Manual lists maximum ranges of the different size pellets on page 132.

At 1200 FPS a #7 1/2 will travel 237 yards horizontally, and a #8 will travel 230 yards.

Standard fallout distance requirements recommended by the NRA Shotgun Range construction manual is 300 Yards.

I would say that if you are shooting inside of 300 yards from the road, you may be violating the law. Keep in mind, YMMV with wind speed, load, choke, etc.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum