Texas Hunting Forum

Velvet buck hunt

Posted By: wishn' I was huntin'

Velvet buck hunt - 08/24/18 08:25 PM

I'm living in Tennessee now and came across this article on a news website. What does everyone think about this?

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (WTVC) - Beginning Friday, Tennessee hunters will have their first-ever opportunity to participate in Tennessee’s inaugural August deer hunt that some have referred to as the "velvet buck hunt." The three-day season (Aug. 24-26) is open statewide -- only for archery hunters and only on private lands for antlered bucks.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Velvet buck hunt - 08/24/18 11:27 PM

welcome ta texasHF wishen I was huntin', too.
flag
Posted By: rickym

Re: Velvet buck hunt - 08/25/18 12:10 AM

Could make for good conversation for your first post. Welcome to the THF!

I don’t see any reason why it would be a bad thing unless to many bucks get shot during a full season, no idea what the buck to doe ratio is up there. Lots of people dream of shooting a big buck in velvet.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Velvet buck hunt - 08/25/18 04:26 AM

Archery only tis key.

The big talk tis let em walk.

OSBWMA deer hunts tis archery only, cept draw hunts. Seen lots of bucks (nice ones) just out of range with me bow. How many deer tis taken 50+ yrds with rifle. Seen deer #er's increase since it went WMA Archery only. bang Still got cheap posts. Best Wish's. sir.
flag
Posted By: zbot

Re: Velvet buck hunt - 08/25/18 06:35 AM

Thousands of hunters chase velvet mule deer out west every year...really not that different.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Velvet buck hunt - 08/25/18 01:44 PM

Yep, Wyoming archery season in Sept has folks chasing velvet bucks in some areas.
Sounds like added pressure on your deer though.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Velvet buck hunt - 08/25/18 02:03 PM

welcome

Are the numbers so high that they need to apply additional hunting pressure on the population?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Velvet buck hunt - 08/25/18 09:35 PM

If a hunter is only allowed one buck then it won't change much other than pressure on the herd on private land. So the owner or hunter can control that also. If he tags out early then the land is left un-pressured by the hunter the rest of the season. Hunting deer in summer heat patterns on food sources can be difficult due to time of day they move and amount of eyes in the group.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum