Texas Hunting Forum

Figure 6 hog traps

Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Figure 6 hog traps - 08/23/18 03:14 PM

Looking to build a figure 6 hog trap or two on the ranch. Anyone got some pics of theirs? Advice? Any do or do-nots that you would care to share? Thought about putting a corn feeder in the middle to keep it consistently baited. And then keep it "open" for a couple/few weeks to get the hogs used to it, then "close" the fencing when its time to catch em.
Posted By: salth2o

Re: Figure 6 hog traps - 08/23/18 09:13 PM

I made a modified figure 6 trap using some existing trees and 3 cattle panels. I had a good amount of success despite it being a small trap. I used a trip wire to hold the door open and poured most of the corn beyond the trip wire. Pig walks by the trip wire and the door shuts behind them.

I would feed a little outside the trap and pour a big pile in the trap.

Here is a video of the trap. On the video I show attaching the trip wire to the panel. Sometimes I would just jam the stick into the ground if it wasnt too wet and that seemed to work better.

http://youtu.be/mODe1QycCWo
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Figure 6 hog traps - 08/23/18 09:42 PM

I built mine out of 1 1/2 4"x4"x48"x20' cattle panels.I used 8-6.5" tall T-post. I made a bit smaller for more rigidity and less chance of a big hog getting a running start to plow it over. It worked well when I caught 150 lb boar a few days later. I moved it since it was right by the only water source on my property at that time.

I used a stick about 16" long to hold the "door" open and it was under a good tension from the arc of the trap. I cut left a long end on each of the horizontal stays so it acted as a locking mechanism so a hog had to really run hard to push it out.

I always put brush in the entrance to keep deer out and it has worked well for me for the last 18 yrs. Hogs will root under or through it.

You can see my trip string as it run back to the stick in the door.

Not the best but it worked for me.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Figure 6 hog traps - 08/23/18 11:43 PM

I built mine from 2 hog panels. I haven't used the string to hold the door open. I have loaded the front of the door with corn and at the inside of the trap door and center of the trap. Those I've caught push the over lapping door open to get at the corn inside. More often they eat the corn at the front of the door and don't venture through the door. I've had mixed success. I like the idea of the door being held open with the string and stick and will use this approach in the future

Posted By: lms

Re: Figure 6 hog traps - 08/24/18 01:38 AM

Make your trap using 4x4 panels at least 5 feet tall, 6 foot tpost for most soils, tpost on the outside of the trap panels, do not wire the top 18"s of the panels to the tposts, this allows the panels to bend at the top and drops the pigs back in the trap when they try to climb out. Tposts every 5 to 6 feet. At the funnel wire the panels together on the top but not at the bottom and use a 12" stick to prop the funnel open about 10"s, when the bigger pig push in the stick will drop out of the way. The bigger the trap circle the more pigs you tend to catch.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Figure 6 hog traps - 08/24/18 03:37 AM

I use 10 foot goat panels that are 4’ tall that connect together. I have a root style gate and secure the pen with t-posts. I put a spin feeder in the middle of the pen and leave the root gate open for a week or two. I use a game camera to confirm the pigs are hitting it regularly and then let the root gate down. Typically have hogs the next morning. I set the feeder to go off at midnight. The one weakness is that decent size hogs can jump/climb/tumble over the 4’ high panel. As suggested above, use 5’ for best results. Sorry. I don’t have any photos.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Figure 6 hog traps - 08/24/18 04:50 AM

I did well with mine but did have a couple climb out. The longer you keep it wired open and baited before closing it, the better your results will be.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Figure 6 hog traps - 08/24/18 11:42 AM

cheers use a light spri g gate, they can push open,more can get in. Just gotta tweek-it.
flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum