Texas Hunting Forum

What to do with Game Wardens.

Posted By: nate33

What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/02/18 10:46 PM

When a warden walks up to me in the field, as soon as I see him I unload my gun. That sets the tone for the rest of the 'encounter', and trust me, any grey area situation will be decided in the hunter's favor.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/02/18 10:48 PM

If it was up to me I’d give em a raise.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/02/18 10:49 PM

Probably real good advice. up
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/02/18 10:50 PM

Ive had stops on dove hunts by the federals. We stood aside while they counted our birds.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/02/18 10:55 PM

I wouldn’t touch my gun and would make my hands visible like courtesy on a traffic stop.
Posted By: majekman

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/02/18 11:07 PM

Had many encounters with GWs....never a bad expierence. Always positive...And I’ve received two tickets from them over the years. I deserved both.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/02/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I wouldn’t touch my gun and would make my hands visible like courtesy on a traffic stop.

^^^This is the ONLY way^^^
If you go racking a bolt on a weapon things could go south in a hurry.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/02/18 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Ive had stops on dove hunts by the federals. We stood aside while they counted our birds.

I’ve only had one experience with a federal and it wasn’t good. We were dove hunting on a buddies place between Rotan and Hamlin. The warden pulled up and started issuing orders. We had a limit of dove and had quit shooting. We had two guys from out of state that had mesquite plugs in their guns. The fed jammed an extra shell in their guns and told them they were going to jail. The land owner told him he wasn’t taking anyone to jail and the fed got mouthy with him and told him he may go to jail too. The landowner was an 80 year old WW2 vet and asked him if he wanted to bet on it. Landowner called the county judge on his party line and handed the phone to the fed. A short conversation later he left and told us to have a goood day. I’m glad the judge was home because the old man was serious when he told the fed no one was going to jail that day, and paid us no mind when we told him to calm down.

I know all of the local wardens where I hunt and Fish and have never had a problem with any of them. They have a job to do and there’s no reason to be an arsehole. It’s also good to know an old man that’s lived in the same small county his whole life and doesn’t put up with any bullsht on his own property.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 12:16 AM

Had a lot of interactions with GW over the years. Only one bad experience. By and large, a great group of hard working people doing a tough, thankless job.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 02:34 AM

The local warden shows up at our hunting lease skinning shed two or three times each season, usually in late morning or right after dark. We give him a cup of coffee or a coke, shoot the bull for a while and get the poop on how other clubs in the area are doing.
Posted By: Guy

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: nate33
When a warden walks up to me in the field, as soon as I see him I unload my gun.

I been doing that for years. I have my gun unloaded and license out befor they get to me.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 02:57 AM

Sounds too much like common sense.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 03:03 AM

Never had what I would call a bad experience with a TPWD officer. I did have one check me for my license while I was in work clothes working on a tractor. It didn't bother me much but the landowner didn't like it one bit.

As a kid growing up in Mississippi, never had a good experience with a MDWFP officer. The worst encounters happened when I was alone, with the last one involving an officer that looked like he came straight out of the movie "Deliverance". I got me chit and got out of there quickly with a careful choice of words.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 03:44 AM

Shoot, I hunt with our game warden! He's shot with us at 800 yard and 1 mile (while we hunted at the 780 yard feeder). He's also taken me duck hunting, and let his dog work the birds. Super nice guy and I'll invite him to come along anytime! He knows us well.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 04:14 AM

I was fishing this week on LBJ and got checked by the wardens for my license, fish size, and limit. As he was looking at license, he noticed I hunted in Cotulla. I'm glad I had the log filled out correctly. Nice guy and very professional. He was out of Lampasas.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
When a warden walks up to me in the field, as soon as I see him I unload my gun.

I been doing that for years. I have my gun unloaded and license out befor they get to me.

Same here. Always resulted in a quick and courteous check.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 06:18 AM

I just unload when they are about 20 feet away, hand it to him or her with license asap, count some birds and get back to hunting a minute late. Got stopped 3 times 2 years ago in 3 counties on private fields and didn't take more than a minute total. They have 20 other folks to check. I ain't dropping my gun though since they want it right away. Especially in dirt!
Posted By: Stub

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 10:37 AM

Have only encountered the GW a few times, every time they were professional. The younger ones seem to be more engaging in small talk.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 10:47 AM

I usually keep shooting birds until he asks for my gun to check it. Never had a problem.
Posted By: tlk

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 11:26 AM

No different from being pulled over in your vehicle and placing both hands open on the steering wheel so the officer can see your hands.

My son is an LEO - he has always told me that folks he stops who are respectful and cooperate are way more likely to get a warning rather than a ticket.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 12:39 PM

I turn away from the GW if he's checking someone, point my gun in the opposite direction and unload my firearm
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Same here. Always resulted in a quick and courteous check.
Always
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Sounds too much like common sense.

Yep. I just break open my shotgun, set it down and wait.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 12:51 PM

The idea that you don't touch your shotgun while being checked by the warden is crazy. You've clearly never been checked by one in the field. they go from group to group and everyone hunts until they are talking with the man.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
The idea that you don't touch your shotgun while being checked by the warden is crazy. You've clearly never been checked by one in the field. they go from group to group and everyone hunts until they are talking with the man.

I've been checked multiple times (since 1974). As a law enforcement officer I am simply showing another law enforcement officer professional courtesy. Stop assuming about something you know nothing about.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

I've been checked multiple times (since 1974). As a law enforcement officer I am simply showing another law enforcement officer professional courtesy. Stop assuming about something you know nothing about.

Good luck with that.
Posted By: therancher

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 02:04 PM

Just think about how ignorant the law is that they’re “enforcing”. Yes, the plug in shotguns law. I’d bet a lot of money they write vastly more tickets for that than any other violation. Virtually all the posts on this thread concern that ignorant law. .

If they spent as much time and resources on the violations that provide value (catching poachers), then they’d have my respect.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Just think about how ignorant the law is that they’re “enforcing”. Yes, the plug in shotguns law. I’d bet a lot of money they write vastly more tickets for that than any other violation. Virtually all the posts on this thread concern that ignorant law. .

If they spent as much time and resources on the violations that provide value (catching poachers), then they’d have my respect.

Just like if cops stopped enforcing speeding laws, they could catch real criminals. rolleyes
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 02:49 PM

Never really had a problem with State Game Wardens. I just show them my Lifetime Combo License, than a couple questions later it's 'Have a nice day'.

Now Federal Fish and Game guys are a different story. They go out of their way to be jerks.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 02:50 PM

I'm sure they have hard time sleeping at night knowing you have a such a lack of respect for them.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 03:39 PM

I've never laid my shotgun in the dirt while waiting to be checked. I always stop shooting, unload my gun, get my license out and keep my weapon pointed in a safe direction. Never had any trouble while hunting. Now I've had a few rude encounters with a red headed game warden on lake fork but never received a ticket.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt Dog
Never really had a problem with State Game Wardens. I just show them my Lifetime Combo License, than a couple questions later it's 'Have a nice day'.

Now Federal Fish and Game guys are a different story. They go out of their way to be jerks.

I've only had one encounter with Federal Fish and Game officers and it was very positive despite being given a citation for hunting what the landowner thought was a legal field for hunting doves. Everyone left that day with a clear and courteous understanding of what constitutes a baited field. We went out the next weekend and hunted a soybean field that had been recently harvested knowing it was completely legal.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I've only had one encounter with Federal Fish and Game officers and it was very positive despite being given a citation for hunting what the landowner thought was a legal field for hunting doves. Everyone left that day with a clear and courteous understanding of what constitutes a baited field.

What did the LO do to bait?

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I've only had one encounter with Federal Fish and Game officers and it was very positive despite being given a citation for hunting what the landowner thought was a legal field for hunting doves. Everyone left that day with a clear and courteous understanding of what constitutes a baited field.

What did the LO do to bait?

There was no evidence the field had been prepared using "normal agricultural practices". The landowner thought that because he had disked his field before spreading seed, it would be legal. There was more evidence that he was using seed for bait than for planting a cover crop, which would have been a normal agricultural practice. The officer went so far to say that having cattle on the field to eat the seed would have probably been enough to make it legal. It was an open, un-fenced field with no livestock on it.

I've seen guys hunt doves over cattle feed lots, which by definition, constitute a normal agricultural practice.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 04:19 PM

Evidently Ya'll haven't run into Bill Jones the biggest azzhole in the business. Was in Palo Pinto County.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB
I've never laid my shotgun in the dirt while waiting to be checked. I always stop shooting, unload my gun, get my license out and keep my weapon pointed in a safe direction. Never had any trouble while hunting. Now I've had a few rude encounters with a red headed game warden on lake fork but never received a ticket.

No no no Chris you're doing it wrong when the truck pulls up immediately drop your gun in the dirt, mud, water where ever you are standing. Then get on your belly.. or you've got no respect for the law. trout
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 04:37 PM

We were dove hunting once in a large group of adults and kids and the 2 GW's that came to check us told us to keep shooting while they checked everyone. up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 04:37 PM

I treat all law enforcement with respect, cops and game wardens the same. Never had a bad experience with either. Ive gotten my share of moving violations but that was my doing, never had a game violation.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I treat all law enforcement with respect, cops and game wardens the same. Never had a bad experience with either. Ive gotten my share of moving violations but that was my doing, never had a game violation.

Yeppers. Never ran across a rude game warden.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 04:48 PM

I've always made it a point to reach out to the local game warden when I get on a new lease. We invite them out for a back strap dinner and get to know him. Our current GW has even come out to hunt with us. As a courtesy we call him when we plan on night hunting.

If I encounter a GW I've never met I'm always courteous and let him know if my gun is loaded. I follow his instructions and I've never had a problem.

I find if you treat the with respect you will get the same. Even if you end up getting a ticket. In that case you probably deserved it anyway.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 05:03 PM

I have never seen our GW in our county in 13 of hunting there. They find me everywhere else though dove hunting. All are very nice.
Posted By: TLew

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 05:24 PM

I treat LEOs and GWs the same as others have stated. They get respect until they don't deserve respect. The vast majority of them (>95%) deserve it, but there are always bad apples in the bunch. Two that come to mind, one from each bushel:
  • a LEO that was scouting a bunch of teenagers (5 to be precise) virtually hanging out of a Jeep. He decided to pull me over for running a stop sign when I had already seen him and did a very deliberate stop. I called him on it, he ran my license, and told me to have a nice day. In this case, it's ok to be on the hunt but don't come up with bs lies for excuses/PC.
  • a GW was doing a routine check, came up in his truck, and had already run my plates on my truck which was at the entrance. He jumped out of the truck, attitude in hand calling for me by my full name. I had left my DL in the truck but I gave him my CAC card which was on me. He decided to make a big deal about it, and upon asking him why he was in a hurry to look for me specifically, he told me to mind my own damn business Mr. <insert designation>.

Again, I'm always courteous and will remain that way until you show me you don't deserve it. At that point, I'll follow your instructions but you aren't going to have a happy camper to deal with during the stop or with your supervisor.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Yeppers. Never ran across a rude game warden.
Same here...
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 06:02 PM

We've been checked a few times each season in Stephens County. The GW is a great guy; usually insist I keep shooting/hunting while he checks my hunting partner. No need to have a professional witness or observe my fine shooting skills. crying I politely decline and wait my turn with Shotgun unloaded.
Posted By: don k

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 06:10 PM

I am respectful. I yes sir and no sir and don't make small talk. Same as with any other LEO I am questioned by.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 07:03 PM

I invite our Game warden to all of our youth hunts, He makes it some times and some times he don't, He did the Game Warden interview for my Son and one other 4-H youth to get their Hunter Ed instructor class. I have intercepted their instructor packets and the Game Warden will present them at the 4-H Gold Star Banquet.

We had a mistake on a youth hunt last year, I felt the need to call him. I explained the situation to him when he got there and I took responsibility for the mistake. He considered the circumstances, and I got a Warning.

I consider this man to be a friend, but when he showed up to that hunt he was the Game Warden not my Friend (I expect no less). Our young hunters got a great lesson that day.

Now if he were to meet a combative individual I do believe he would not hesitate to do what ever necicary to do his job. I would not want to be on the receiving end of that.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
I am respectful. I yes sir and no sir and don't make small talk. Same as with any other LEO I am questioned by.

up
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Sparta
As a courtesy we call him when we plan on night hunting

Years ago when hogs got bad on our place I used to call the GW to let him know I'd be spotlighting for hogs. This was before lights and NV were used. First few times he said, "ok", then he told me respectfully not to call unless there was a problem. There hasn't been a GW on our property in over 30 years.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 09:34 PM

Usually they check my stuff then we shoot the chit for a few and then he goes on his way.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 09:46 PM

I'm a yes sir no sir individual as well. I've worked around LEOs in public safety now for over 21 years. Had one in Nolan county give me a ticket for failure to tag in the field even though I was still in the field and not at the ranch house just another feeder. It was a simple honest mistake. Shot 3 turkeys with my rifle in one setting and moved them and myself to another feeder where we were being picked up where I proceeded to fill out the tags. It was a 195 dollar ticket! I believe he wanted me to thank him for not writing me up for all 3 turkeys which I never did. Later when I was processing them. He started fondling everybody's side arm that was hunting that day and then he asked to check my license again. His reason? He stated I wanted to see if you had a "Super Combo" Which I in fact did. He was now just plain harassing me! Oh and all this started because the landowner "made a courtesy call to him to let him know we'd be going after hogs at night." I may be bitter because of the ticket I'll admit to that, but this guy left a rotten taste in my mouth!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

I’ve only had one experience with a federal and it wasn’t good. We were dove hunting on a buddies place between Rotan and Hamlin. The warden pulled up and started issuing orders. We had a limit of dove and had quit shooting. We had two guys from out of state that had mesquite plugs in their guns. The fed jammed an extra shell in their guns and told them they were going to jail. The land owner told him he wasn’t taking anyone to jail and the fed got mouthy with him and told him he may go to jail too. The landowner was an 80 year old WW2 vet and asked him if he wanted to bet on it. Landowner called the county judge on his party line and handed the phone to the fed. A short conversation later he left and told us to have a goood day. I’m glad the judge was home because the old man was serious when he told the fed no one was going to jail that day, and paid us no mind when we told him to calm down.

I know all of the local wardens where I hunt and Fish and have never had a problem with any of them. They have a job to do and there’s no reason to be an arsehole. It’s also good to know an old man that’s lived in the same small county his whole life and doesn’t put up with any bullsht on his own property.
that could have gone south...
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/03/18 11:26 PM

I am always respectful to Game Wardens, I have had only two out of five encounters that the Warden was just as respectful to me or my family. I have never received a violation, although I have been treated like a criminal by them.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 12:44 AM

My son has been an LEO for years. I ride out with him at times. The general public is clueless on what these law enforcement officers deal with every day. 90% of the people they come in contact with every day are scumbags pure and simple. I have witnessed it over and over and so will you if you take the time to ride with one of them. So suffice it to say that they must have a huge amount of restraint when dealing with the public.

Yes there are sorry cops and GW's. That is true in any aspect of our society. But the vast majority are good people - They are human beings with a family at home just like all of us. All they want to do is go home at night to their family. God Bless each of them

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: tlk
My son has been an LEO for years. I ride out with him at times. The general public is clueless on what these law enforcement officers deal with every day. 90% of the people they come in contact with every day are scumbags pure and simple. I have witnessed it over and over and so will you if you take the time to ride with one of them. So suffice it to say that you must have a huge amount of restraint when dealing with the public.

Yes there are sorry cops and GW's. That is true in any aspect of our society. But the vast majority are good people - They are human beings with a family at home just like all of us. All they want to do is go home at night to their family. God Bless each of them
exactly
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 01:24 AM

My son has been an LEO for years. I ride out with him at times. The general public is clueless on what these law enforcement officers deal with every day. 90% of the people they come in contact with every day are scumbags pure and simple. I have witnessed it over and over and so will you if you take the time to ride with one of them. So suffice it to say that they must have a huge amount of restraint when dealing with the public.

Well said Sir up
Posted By: MClark

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 01:27 AM

We were walking down a dirt road back to camp in the dark and GW stopped, checked licenses. He then said jump in and gave us a ride the last mile. Arizona in the '80s
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 01:28 AM

yes and no sir to all law enforcement . Only had a game warden 3 times in 17 years. Had a good conversation with one after he checked our license, we knew some of the same people. Checked one of our hunters and found he had used the wrong tag on a deer. Gave the guy a warning to mu surprise. The last time the warden was following up on a report of someone ith a auto firing rifle. All was well.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Usually they check my stuff then we shoot the chit for a few and then he goes on his way.

Same. I shoot until he’s ready to check me then as soon as he’s done I’m shooting again. This immediately unload the gun and assume the position stuff is kinda weird. I’ve done nothing wrong and not going to act like I have. I’m very respectful, but I’m hunting.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 03:18 AM

90% of the people they come in contact with every day are scumbags pure and simple.

Do you think that 90% of the people that Game Wardens come in contact with are scumbags?

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Just like if cops stopped enforcing speeding laws, they could catch real criminals. rolleyes

LMAO. Anyone can see the justification for speeding laws. No one, not you, not anyone can make a legitimate argument in support of plug laws.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 03:32 AM

In my best Colonel Sherman T Potter's voice "Horse apples"

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
90% of the people they come in contact with every day are scumbags pure and simple.

Do you think that 90% of the people that Game Wardens come in contact with are scumbags?

I was not referring game wardens - I should have clarified. I was referring to LEO's on the street

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 11:45 AM

I was not referring game wardens - I should have clarified. I was referring to LEO's on the street

So, what % of people that GW interact with are “scumbags”, in your estimation?

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 11:50 AM

Not sure I get ranchers point about the plugs. He’s blaming GWs for enforcing a law? That’s their job. They don’t make the laws....they just do the job of enforcement. Plain and simple.
If peeps don’t agree with a law do something to try and change it instead of moaning about it.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 11:54 AM

So, what % of people that GW interact with are “scumbags”, in your estimation?

Depends on what area of the state the GW has to work in.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 12:01 PM

My last interaction with a GW, was dove hunting. We saw the GW pull into the neighbors place & haul [censored] towards us. Literally seen him comin a mile away, & he’s doin 50-60mph across an open field. When he gets to us, he realizes there’s a fence between us. Instead of parking there & just hopping over the fence, he has to turn around, go back, drive around the county road, drive around to my gate, then drive thru my pastures to get to us. The whole ordeal took 10 minutes. I’ve texted everyone (maybe 15 hunters) & we are all waiting for him. He checks everybodys shotguns (even those in the trunks of cars that were not in use). This all took sometime. Wrote a few tickets for the old “no hunters safety [censored] certificate”.

I felt a lot safer.

I asked him why he didn’t just hop the fence earlier, he said he was too fat for that! We got all got a laugh & I agreed that I was too fat for fence hopping myself.

My only point is; too bad we as a society don’t put more emphasis on catching real criminals, like rapist, murderers, illegals, & meth cooks instead of normal decent guys who may break extremely minor game laws (often unknowingly).

This is why many people look at LE only as a money generating scheme. Like speed traps, expired registration, & non-working license plate lights.

I’d rather a few guys get away with not having a plug in their shotgun, while we arrest & prosecute actual criminals who do bodily harm to victims. Just my opinion.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: majekman
Not sure I get ranchers point about the plugs. He’s blaming GWs for enforcing a law? That’s their job. They don’t make the laws....they just do the job of enforcement. Plain and simple.
If peeps don’t agree with a law do something to try and change it instead of moaning about it.

First it’s an antiquated federal law, so good luck with changing that. Second and more important, state leo’s aren’t “doing their job” enforcing fed laws. There are MANY fed laws and some state laws that local leo’s don’t enforce.

If I was an leo it would embarrass me to enforce such an ignorant law.

Wonder why no one’s taken a stab at defending the plug law. Which no doubt is the highest % of fish cop interaction with the hunting public?

We all know why.
Posted By: TBS

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 02:36 PM

Only had one bad experience with a warden. He was a rookie and way out of line. The senior training warden stepped in and took over and it was fine.

I have higher respect for wardens than any law enforcement. Great guy (and gals). A hard job but they are typically always nice and fair.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 04:53 PM

Ah. The old Nuremberg Defense. Just following orders, Herr Oberststurmbanfuehrer?

The SS were “just following orders” also.......

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 05:30 PM

First it’s an antiquated federal law, so good luck with changing that. Second and more important, state leo’s aren’t “doing their job” enforcing fed laws. There are MANY fed laws and some state laws that local leo’s don’t enforce.

If I was an leo it would embarrass me to enforce such an ignorant law.

Wonder why no one’s taken a stab at defending the plug law. Which no doubt is the highest % of fish cop interaction with the hunting public?

We all know why.

Do GWs enforce all federal laws? Do they enforce federal immigration laws?

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 06:53 PM

Ah. The old Nuremberg Defense. Just following orders, Herr Oberststurmbanfuehrer?

The SS were “just following orders” also.......

Guess sarcasm is your point. If so, I get it. If not, well your comparison lacks an important factor called a brain
Posted By: gusick

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/04/18 09:23 PM

I call them a pig and assail them with my pocket constitution. I ask if I'm being detained or am I free to go over and over again.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: gusick
I call them a pig and assail them with my pocket constitution. I ask if I'm being detained or am I free to go over and over again.

roflmao
Posted By: Grizz

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 01:48 AM

How in the world did we go from writing a ticket for a shotgun plug to murdering millions of innocent people just because they're Jewish? rolleyes
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
How in the world did we go from writing a ticket for a shotgun plug to murdering millions of innocent people just because they're Jewish? rolleyes

Many law enforcement officers and Hitler have the same little man’s disease.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 02:08 AM

Really?
Posted By: BOONER

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez

Well said Sir up

Yes sir!
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 02:37 AM

I personally am not a huge fan of the majority of them. they're allowed to do too much. went round and round with one at camp last year because he showed up to check licenses at 10 am while I was working on a tractor....and no I hadn't been hunting. that would be similar to asking someone sitting on a park bench for their driver's license. IMO, theyre allowed to go too many places and do too much. Should be like every other LEO and have to have probable cause to make contact and start checking. And no, minding your own business hunting without breaking any laws is not probable.
Posted By: erathar

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 02:48 AM

The best thing about this forum is the fact that some members cannot keep their mouths shut. Their are some dumb [censored] members.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 02:50 AM

I really don’t think “size” matters at least in this instance. There are just as many big arseholes as there are small arseholes! Some people just don’t understand the meaning of respect. LE officers for the most part see only the bad side of people on a daily basis. They get lied to constantly and have heard every excuse in the book. I can see how they can be jaded by that part of the public very quickly. Now that is no reason for them to be arseholes to everyone and 93.2% of them are damn good people! It’s the other 6.8% that we all have to worry about or we see on YouTube. LE officers are basically like HFs...the minorty(bad ones) gives the majority(good ones) a bad name and people often lump them all together in a negative light! I have NEVER had a bad interaction with a GW and one bad episode with a city cop (me being young and dumb) that was partly my fault! He was totally in the wrong in this situation but it was partly my fault for being disrespectful to him in the past. Again he was wrong but I learned a lesson about (some) small town cops!

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: erathar
The best thing about this forum is the fact that some members cannot keep their mouths shut. Their are some dumb [censored] members.

"Their" sure are

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: woodduckhunter

"Their" sure are

Does that make you feel better about yourself....to point out a small grammatical error by a good man telling the truth.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 03:06 AM

"Their" sure are

Lmao. I see that you were offended.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 03:16 AM

What I find ironic is the numbers of allegedly conservative hunters on this forum that for some reason or another are not fans of LE and in many cases make their disdain for LE well known. That didn’t seem to be the case years ago on here but is much more obvious nowadays.
Guess I’m just old and was raised differently and taught to respect LE....
I don’t care for the disrespect thrown around at LE...comparisons to nazis and hitler are over the top for me .so I’ll bow out and keep my digits off the keys before I get myself in trouble.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: BOONER

"Their" sure are

Does that make you feel better about yourself....to point out a small grammatical error by a good man telling the truth.

I could've pointed out that if people kept their mouths shut as he said, we wouldn't have much of a forum

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 05:52 AM

I have been checked 8 times by a GW and all have been nice and cordial. Even in fields where they were giving newbies tickets who deserved them because we told them the laws beforehand such as plug your gun, take HE or get the deferral and buy a freaking license! Takes 5 minutes on a smartphone. And they were nice to them too and we got to laugh at them.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 11:43 AM

Guess sarcasm is your point. If so, I get it. If not, well your comparison lacks an important factor called a brain

Just a little sarcasm goes a long way.

But I’d like to know how many tickets are written every year by GWs for
1) no youth hunters certificate
2) improperly marked tags
3) “mixing” birds with another hunter (while still being <15/hunter)
4) other completely minor mistakes

I just don’t think there should be “minor” infractions.

& I don’t think that legal hunting activity justifies a law enforcement “search”. In America, citizens dont have to prove they are innocent. All LE should need probable cause before hassling honest citizens.

But then again, I’m also against roadside DUI checkpoints & border checkpoints many miles inside the border.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 12:58 PM

Lol yes it does.

I’m like most, I respect them and the job they have to do. The vast majority are good guys just doing their job. IMO there are a lot fewer GWs on a “power trip” than, say, local LEOs. The few knuckleheads do give the others a bad rap.

Most of the laws being called “nitpicky” or “minor” above are not really minor. For example, bird “mixing” can basically mean that everyone in a party gets limits every time - making the larger bag limit laws meaningless. HE is there for a reason. Plug requirements for ducks, doves and other migratory birds make sense - they often fly fast and 4th and 5th shots wound a lot of birds that die later. Heck 3 shots is enough for any kind of bird hunting IMO so I just keep my plug in all my shotguns except my home defense gun anyway. No big deal.

Besides, as was said, they don’t write the laws they just enforce them. Being pissy to or mad at GWs for the laws they have to enforce makes zero sense and is simply juvenile.

I do agree they have too much leeway under the current laws and court decisions (just like border patrol with their internal checkpoints, for example). This is given to them by and through bogus “inspection authority” by the courts. But, again, not their fault. If you’ve got issues with the laws or their authority the place to go is the legislature/Congress-not being pissed at the GWs.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 01:15 PM

Not even worth it.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 01:24 PM

What I find ironic is the numbers of allegedly conservative hunters on this forum that for some reason or another are not fans of LE and in many cases make their disdain for LE well known. That didn’t seem to be the case years ago on here but is much more obvious nowadays.
I don’t care for the disrespect thrown around at LE...comparisons to nazis and hitler are over the top for me .so I’ll bow out and keep my digits off the keys before I get myself in trouble.

Think there are like 3 people on this whole post. don't make a mountain of a mole hill.

Ps. There is and always will be a differing of opinions. Don't make it all "nowadays" the anti police rhetoric used to be high on the political boards. Has actually softened up some.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 01:40 PM

I have held hunting licenses in 13 states over the years. I would guess have interacted with wardens 10 or 11 times in the field and frankly I never had an issue with any of them. As long as you are polite and respectful I have found they return it. There is a phrase known as psychological reciprocity that basically means that people will treat others in pretty much the same manner in which they were treated.If you act angry or suspicious, the warden will as well. Body language is a powerful communication device so be relaxed and not "wound up."

Follow the regulations, be smart with your gun, be polite, have your license and tag handy and you will be on your way very quickly. At least that has been my experience.
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 02:46 PM

When a warden walks up to me in the field, as soon as I see him I unload my gun. That sets the tone for the rest of the 'encounter', and trust me, any grey area situation will be decided in the hunter's favor.

Same here. However, one time hunting the Wister Unit for Ducks & Geese in Southern California, I had a Warden accuse me of using illegal shot. "That's why you unloaded your gun" He says. So I handed all of my shells and said, "Check them".

We were hunting near a "safe" zone for the geese. There must have been 10,000 in that safe zone. In the afternoon the geese were thirsty and would start working their way towards us. We were on a dike, in a flooded area.

That same Game Warden would drive his truck up and down the dikes near us to scare the geese back into the safe zone.

We reported the guy, and he is NO longer a Game Warden.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Same here. However, one time hunting the Wister Unit for Ducks & Geese in Southern California, I had a Warden accuse me of using illegal shot. "That's why you unloaded your gun" He says. So I handed all of my shells and said, "Check them".

We were hunting near a "safe" zone for the geese. There must have been 10,000 in that safe zone. In the afternoon the geese were thirsty and would start working their way towards us. We were on a dike, in a flooded area.

That same Game Warden would drive his truck up and down the dikes near us to scare the geese back into the safe zone.

We reported the guy, and he is NO longer a Game Warden.

I’m kinda concerned about stuff like this increasing. More and more GWs are coming out that are not hunters themselves but more akin to game biologists. Many see themselves more as “game protectors”. This is not the case here but those types are beginning to trickle into the ranks in federal jurisdictions and back east/out west.
Posted By: bjh

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 05:25 PM

Had a run in with a federal gw. He counted my birds then said I need to check your plug. I said are you shi??ing, me he said hand me your gun, which I had hanging on my arm the whole time we were talking. I told him I hope he could get more than three shells in, and he is looking at my gun the whole time. So I hand it to him with a smile on my face and it took him several seconds to figure out it was a O/U ,410 at that! His face turned red as a BEET, he handed it back. I said you are kind new at this. I couldn't stand it any longer and busted out laughing. He walked off shaking his head!!!!
Posted By: Erny

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 05:43 PM

I don’t understand why some people feel that your contitutional rights are waived if your hunting or fishing. I have had several encounters with Texas wardens. Most of them have a guilty till you prove yourself innocent mentality.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Erny
I don’t understand why some people feel that your contitutional rights are waived if your hunting or fishing. I have had several encounters with Texas wardens. Most of them have a guilty till you prove yourself innocent mentality.
there are a lot of low life hunters I encounter them all the time on Ft Hood and have heard many a story from the Wardens on Ft Hood yet when they deal with me it’s very simple. I’m up front about what I’m doing show them all my paper work and then we chat for a while and I tell him if I see any shady stuff I’ll let him know. If your doing everything legally and the right way there will be no issues.

What I see more then anything is people knowingly breaking rules/laws thinking they won’t get caught and then when they do they play dumb and act like they didn’t know then get butthurt because the warden doesn’t let them off with a warning. I wish there were more wardens on Ft Hood hell I’ve offer d to pull overwatch on the area I guide in and let them know when I see something wrong. We have people poaching and dumping trash in the area all the time pisses me off.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 06:27 PM

Thanks NP for at least trying to defend the plug law. Total nonsense of course, how many rounds you u have in a firearm has absolutely nothing to do with the personal decision to shoot out of range, or in anyway could be proven to lead to more wounded birds. I could just as easily argue that the fourth or fifth shot could be used as the coup de gras on a valuable game bird wounded on the first shots, thereby preventing waste. But an honest analysis would suggest both of those arguments are lame.

We have bag limits. How many shells I use in my gun to kill my limit (or not) is irrelevant to that, and irrelevant to any honest logical thought process.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 06:37 PM

A quote from and representing the thoughts in many previous posts:

“Follow the regulations, be smart with your gun, be polite, have your license and tag handy and you will be on your way very quickly. At least that has been my experience.”

That quote may accurately represent your experience, but my experience has been different on two occasions. Once when a GW issued a citation to one of my leasers that just proved the GW’s total lack of knowledge of the law he was “enforcing”. He was totally ignorant of MLD laws in 2013 (after many years of mld implementation so there’s really no excuse), and cited my hunter because I pre signed his mld tag.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 06:42 PM

Thanks NP for at least trying to defend the plug law. Total nonsense of course, how many rounds you u have in a firearm has absolutely nothing to do with the personal decision to shoot out of range, or in anyway could be proven to lead to more wounded birds. I could just as easily argue that the fourth or fifth shot could be used as the coup de gras on a valuable game bird wounded on the first shots, thereby preventing waste. But an honest analysis would suggest both of those arguments are lame.

We have bag limits. How many shells I use in my gun to kill my limit (or not) is irrelevant to that, and irrelevant to any honest logical thought process.

The real nonsense is the idea of ragging on/being pissed at GWs about laws they don’t enact, but simply enforce.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

The real nonsense is the idea of ragging on/being pissed at GWs about laws they don’t enact, but simply enforce.

Makes perfect sense.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 07:13 PM

Yeah, and just letting it go and never questioning the validity of laws governing us is better how? The fact it is an antiquated federal law imposed during market hunting virtually guarantees it won’t ever be changed.

Again, they can choose not to enforce ridiculous laws. Choosing to enforce them is pretty damning.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 07:18 PM

Thank you NP....that was more or less my original point

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 08:05 PM

Yeah, and just letting it go and never questioning the validity of laws governing us is better how? The fact it is an antiquated federal law imposed during market hunting virtually guarantees it won’t ever be changed.

Again, they can choose not to enforce ridiculous laws. Choosing to enforce them is pretty damning.

Then tell your congressman. A GW is trying to work, take care of a family and pay their bills, not change a federal law. My old lease, the LO was mad he got a ticket for shooting 16 and didn't know he was 1 over. He said the young GW just didn't know who he was dealing with and the old one would let it go and he could gunt again that evening. He broke the law and was trying to blame the GW. Just because you are 3rd or 4th generation in a county doesn't make you immune to laws. His son was shooting from the tailgate that evening...
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Erny
there are a lot of low life hunters I encounter them all the time on Ft Hood and have heard many a story from the Wardens on Ft Hood yet when they deal with me it’s very simple. I’m up front about what I’m doing show them all my paper work and then we chat for a while and I tell him if I see any shady stuff I’ll let him know. If your doing everything legally and the right way there will be no issues.

What I see more then anything is people knowingly breaking rules/laws thinking they won’t get caught and then when they do they play dumb and act like they didn’t know then get butthurt because the warden doesn’t let them off with a warning. I wish there were more wardens on Ft Hood hell I’ve offer d to pull overwatch on the area I guide in and let them know when I see something wrong. We have people poaching and dumping trash in the area all the time pisses me off.

That is what we want, but because people can be people (including GWs) that is not always the way it works out.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/05/18 11:56 PM

Then tell your congressman. A GW is trying to work, take care of a family and pay their bills, not change a federal law. My old lease, the LO was mad he got a ticket for shooting 16 and didn't know he was 1 over. He said the young GW just didn't know who he was dealing with and the old one would let it go and he could gunt again that evening. He broke the law and was trying to blame the GW. Just because you are 3rd or 4th generation in a county doesn't make you immune to laws. His son was shooting from the tailgate that evening...

The state GW can keep his job, feed his family etc without enforcing a law that no one can remotely defend. There is an entire book of laws they can concentrate on.

And I’ve never been issued a citation by a warden, but my hunters have. And the wardens are 2 for 3 wrong.

That’s a lousy %.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 12:21 AM

That is funny - I have been around LEO's for a number of years and never met one yet who reminded me of Hitler or a "Little Man" - all in all I have found them to be great people, husbands, and fathers who put their lives on the line every day to protect and serve.

Let me guess ............... you have been arrested more than once so you do not like those little Hitlers who make you comply with our laws?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 12:29 AM

I have not read this full thread but things I have done with Game wardens, dated ones daughter, hunted with several, shot turkey shoots with another, see some of them and stop for a visit. Invite some to dinner at hunting camp.... Most of the Wardens I know are good people just trying to make a living in a tough profession.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 02:16 AM

His son was shooting from the tailgate that evening...

The horror!
Posted By: mow

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 03:11 AM

i think there are enough tv reality shows on tv and the internet to show peoople how hard their jobs are..but their are arseholes in all kinds of profeessions and walks of life..its human nature..i just treat him with the respect he deserves for putting his life on the lind everyday..and i feel like i deserver the same respect due to a honest law abiding citizen

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 03:16 AM

The horror!

Well can't say he was shooting. This was about 10 years ago and I had a mojo out when they worked like magnets. It's still the stupid law but you can't complain if you get a ticket for it. I have yet to know anyone with a ticket for it actually but if you know a GW will probably be at the field, probably should not put a chair in the bed and shoot from it.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 03:47 AM

The horror!

Well can't say he was shooting. This was about 10 years ago and I had a mojo out when they worked like magnets. It's still the stupid law but you can't complain if you get a ticket for it. I have yet to know anyone with a ticket for it actually but if you know a GW will probably be at the field, probably should not put a chair in the bed and shoot from it.

What’s wrong with sitting on the tailgate while shooting? Or did I miss something?

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: krmitchell

The horror!

What’s wrong with sitting on the tailgate while shooting? Or did I miss something?
Maybe public land where you can't shoot from a vehicle? Other then that not sure.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 04:28 AM

The horror!

Duckman wrote Well can't say he was shooting. This was about 10 years ago and I had a mojo out when they worked like magnets. It's still the stupid law but you can't complain if you get a ticket for it. I have yet to know anyone with a ticket for it actually but if you know a GW will probably be at the field, probably should not put a chair in the bed and shoot from it.

Maybe public land where you can't shoot from a vehicle? Other then that not sure.

Cannot shoot any migratory birds while touching a motor vehicle (boats are in lawful methods). Scroll down to unlawful hunting methods. Always has been the law. You cannot sit on a tailgate and shoot dove without risk of a ticket. You can if you want just as I hunted with no HE several years. Many tickets are issued for this. And warnings too.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/migratory-game-bird-regulations/methods

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 04:52 AM

The horror!

I’m not sure if your aware, but sitting on a tailgate, drinking coldbeer, & leisurely shooting dove, was once considered a rite of passage. Sometimes, guys would even pool birds (not shooting more than the total limit), & then they would actually cook those birds with bacon & cheese.

I know, crazy.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 05:26 AM

The horror!

I’m not sure if your aware, but sitting on a tailgate, drinking coldbeer, & leisurely shooting dove, was once considered a rite of passage. Sometimes, guys would even pool birds (not shooting more than the total limit), & then they would actually cook those birds with bacon & cheese.

I know, crazy.

Crazy some still do all that minus pooling on a $15 folding chair under a mesquite 50 feet away from the truck.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 11:35 AM

So please articulate, what’s so bad about shooting dove from a tailgate, that we need to dedicate law enforcement resources to it, & violate American citizens 4th Amendment rights?

I’d rather deal with the problems of hunters shooting dove from tailgates (no problems), than with LE searching law abiding people without evidence or probable cause.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 12:29 PM

So please articulate, what’s so bad about shooting dove from a tailgate, that we need to dedicate law enforcement resources to it, & violate American citizens 4th Amendment rights?

I’d rather deal with the problems of hunters shooting dove from tailgates (no problems), than with LE searching law abiding people without evidence or probable cause.

Silly. Don’t you know it doesn’t matter how ridiculous the law is, they must be enforced! We’re one small plug or tailgate from anarchy I tell ya!!!
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 02:29 PM

Never heard of a single person getting issued a ticket for sitting on their tailgate and I've watched I don't know how many people get checked by the wardens while doing this. I feel you would have a real strong argument in court that you weren't hunting "from" your truck because you were leaning on the tailgate. It doesn't say anything in the regulations about not touching a vehicle while hunting.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 02:49 PM

I'll start a new thread about it then to discuss in migratory section.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 03:10 PM

Majekman... this isn't surprising considering you hear constant negativity towards LEO by both right and left on a daily basis.
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 03:19 PM

I have met some really great GW in southeast Texas. The kind of people that will chat your ears off and friendly as long as you are not breaking the law. Although I asked a GM in Milam County about a deer lease I was considering and he was very rude.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 03:54 PM

Never heard of a single person getting issued a ticket for sitting on their tailgate and I've watched I don't know how many people get checked by the wardens while doing this. I feel you would have a real strong argument in court that you weren't hunting "from" your truck because you were leaning on the tailgate. It doesn't say anything in the regulations about not touching a vehicle while hunting.

If you are sitting on a Mule or Ranger tailgate you can get a ticket also.....
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 05:00 PM

Silly. Don’t you know it doesn’t matter how ridiculous the law is, they must be enforced! We’re one small plug or tailgate from anarchy I tell ya!!!

Never really thought about how silly that law is. Now that I have I agree a bag limit is a bag limit. It's a silly law IMO.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 05:11 PM

Honestly there is much truth to your sentiment. Think about how all of the bs laws erode your confidence in law enforcement and decrease your general respect for the law in general.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 07:25 PM

“The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government” - Tacitus

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 08:00 PM

I blame the chair lobbyists. grin
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 10:07 PM

How we got there is: This is the THF and dove season doesn't start for another 3 weeks. roflmao roflmao

It is kind of like cabin fever up north the last weeks of winter, people start losing their minds and will argue about the dumbest things with the dumbest of arguments... up
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

How we got there is: This is the THF and dove season doesn't start for another 3 weeks. roflmao roflmao

It is kind of like cabin fever up north the last weeks of winter, people start losing their minds and will argue about the dumbest things with the dumbest of arguments... up

25 days.......I’m not counting down or anything.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06

Honestly there is much truth to your sentiment. Think about how all of the bs laws erode your confidence in law enforcement and decrease your general respect for the law in general.

Yup....and what I find most intriguing is that someone’s ignorance or disregard for the law resulting in a citation makes the officer Hitlery, an AH or a little man.... rolleyes

They’re human and imperfect just like the rest of us. If they make a mistake go fight it in court.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Never really thought about how silly that law is. Now that I have I agree a bag limit is a bag limit. It's a silly law IMO.

It’s an outdated law that should have been repealed decades ago. But tpwd uses it for harassment and a cash cow. More GW time is spent during dove season checking plugs than doing anything else.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 10:57 PM

And the game and fish laws are so numerous the enforcers can’t stay current on them.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Yup....and what I find most intriguing is that someone’s ignorance or disregard for the law resulting in a citation makes the officer Hitlery, an AH or a little man.... rolleyes

They’re human and imperfect just like the rest of us. If they make a mistake go fight it in court.

Exactly. How many of us get up in the morning and put on a bullet proof vest, then kiss our spouse and kiddos goodbye and say a prayer that they come back home to them after work that day? I will say it once again - go ride out with an LEO if you really want to know what they do

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 11:00 PM

How hard is it to check to make sure your plug is in your shotgun? Seems pretty simple to me, only person you can blame if you get a ticket for it is yourself. With that said it is kinda dumb but then again 3 shells is plenty who wants the extra weight in the gun? Most times I take 1-2 shots then reload on the way to pick up the bird/birds.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/06/18 11:01 PM

There seems to be a correlation between certain posters and lack of positive outcomes with the Game Warden.

roflmao
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 01:13 AM

Yep
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 01:45 AM

I’ve had two interactions with game wardens while hunting.

The federal game warden was great. Reasonable, chatty, asked me to call him if I ever had any issues and gave me his cell phone number.

Texas warden, apparently having a bad day, was the most unprofessional, accusatory experience I’ve had with any LEO. She got worse when she found I was in total compliance.

I’m extremely respectful with any LEO I interact with (discussions in the THF OT not withstanding) but I don’t worship them either.

When hunting, we both have loaded weapons. I want everyone to feel as comfortable as possible, knowing that they don’t know me and they deal with people from all walks of life. Kindness and respect are key, and it’s nice when it goes both ways. The way I was raised, it’s right to be kind and respectful even when they aren’t, but I don’t have to like it when they don’t treat me with respect.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 01:50 AM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00505UZ4G/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 03:29 AM

How hard is it to check to make sure your plug is in your shotgun? Seems pretty simple to me, only person you can blame if you get a ticket for it is yourself. With that said it is kinda dumb but then again 3 shells is plenty who wants the extra weight in the gun? Most times I take 1-2 shots then reload on the way to pick up the bird/birds.

It’s not hard. But it’s unnecessary. If I want to lug around a 100 round drum so I don’t have to reload for 5 days of hunting I ought to be able to. If I’m over the limit cite me. But I hate having to worry about whether or not I remembered to replug my gun after quail hunting. And I shouldn’t have to. And that shouldn’t be a cash cow for a lazy leo agency.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 03:50 AM

It’s not hard. But it’s unnecessary. If I want to lug around a 100 round drum so I don’t have to reload for 5 days of hunting I ought to be able to. If I’m over the limit cite me. But I hate having to worry about whether or not I remembered to replug my gun after quail hunting. And I shouldn’t have to. And that shouldn’t be a cash cow for a lazy leo agency.

You just need to buy an o/u and be done with it, Geez man. I can guarantee there is a solid reason you're limited to three shells, I'm sure there's research on it. The law isn't there for fun.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 04:02 AM

The horror!

Is that really illegal? If it is I break the law every year hammer

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
The law isn't there for fun.

It dates from market hunting.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

There are WAY more good ones than bad but the bad ones get all of the press. And it doesn't help when the good ones try to protect the "badge" and don't acknowledge that there are crooked LEOs.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 04:32 AM

Which is dated anyway.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 04:36 AM

The 3 shot limit. https://www.fws.gov/news/Historic/NewsReleases/1935/19350801.pdf

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Which is dated anyway.

Sasser writes this rule into his yearly dove article stating it doesn't make sense but it is what it is. We can blame our great granddads for most of our migratory bird laws.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-s...ected-plentiful

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 11:37 AM

I'm glad we have the plug laws, I save ammo that way. 3 vs 5 rounds.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 01:02 PM

I've no feelings one way or the other on plug laws as I don't bird hunt, but I've had a few sour episodes with game wardens that makes me stay clear of them when possible. I've got my hunting license in a clear case attached to my person at all times when traveling to and on the ranch and I always handle firearms safely whether a warden is there or expected to be there.

I don't shoot the bull when they come strolling in. It's "yes" or "no" and showing I'm legal. Nothing more and nothing less.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 01:34 PM

It's actually part of an international treaty, would take a lot to change it.
Posted By: don k

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 01:57 PM

We need some GW's here near my house in Bandera. Maybe they can catch this guy every ones been hunting for the last couple of days.
Posted By: Gulfgoose

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 02:19 PM

Texas warden, apparently having a bad day, was the most unprofessional, accusatory experience I’ve had with any LEO. She got worse when she found I was in total compliance.

Didn't happen to be in Colorado County recently did it?
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 06:44 PM

Went duck hunting at Cooper WMA many years ago with a friend. When we got to our spot, I see him open a vary large and long bag. He pulls out 3 pump shotguns. I asked "What the heck?" He says just watch me. He had a small collapsible metal rack with long legs. Well he stabs that into the ground, proceeds to load up all 3 shotguns; 3 rounds each. The rack was designed to hold 3 guns at varying levels. So a flock of about 9 or so ducks come buzzing by us; after LST. He was holding 1 of the guns. He fires 3 rounds "quick". Drops the shotgun onto the rack, grabs the next gun on the rack and fire another 3 rounds "quick" at the ducks. And does the same again with the 3rd shotgun. I say holly cow man, you are like "full auto", but you only got 3 of the ducks. He says that it's better than he normally does, But Hell it is Fun!

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Gulfgoose

Didn't happen to be in Colorado County recently did it?

Nope. It was two years ago in a north Texas county.
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/07/18 09:01 PM

I have only had 1 ticket for no HE and it was dismissed cause, in fact I had taken the course but didn't have the card due to a lost wallet month before. No issues with him writing the ticket at all. This was pre-internet and before they kept records. You had to physically show the card. I forgot about losing it until he asked for it.

I have only had 1 bad experience with a game warden in all of my years of hunting and it happened 2 years ago. Here goes a long read.

When I first bought my place, I met the previous game warden with a few locals. He stayed a visited with us for about an hour and we exchanged info if we ever needed anything. The next year he transferred to another area. Our county received a new warden fresh out of the academy. I met him once before we had the issue with him. Someone kicked off a round bale that had caught fire, right in the middle of the county road, in front of a grass circle. The wind was howling that day and another landowner called us to let us know it was on fire and he had called the VFD. We hauled it back to the house and grabbed the water trailer and skid steer so we could put the fire out before it reached the 300 acre grass circle with 200 head grazing it. We were spraying out the round bale when the new GW arrived. He parked his truck about 100 yrds or so away in the bar ditch and just sat there. No lights. Not blocking the road. After the VFD and brush truck got the fire out, we all went over to meet him. Granted he had been in the county for a couple months now but none of the VFD (all long time land owners) nor us have ever met him. We all went and introduced ourselves and he made no small talk at all. I told him the land I owned and handed him my card. Literally shook everyone's hand and got in back in his truck and drove off.

Fast forward a couple months. 2nd weekend of quail season. We had several couples down to quail hunt. We hunted most of the day and had a big meal afterwards. After dark, we went out night hunting to see if we could catch some coyotes or pigs. I actually caught a coyote on a 200 acre wheat field and chased him down in a ranger. A couple hours later is when everything went down. We pulled up on a dirt tank and had some target practice. This tank is in the middle of a 4000 acre ranch and all of the gates are locked except for 1 entry gate next to the main ranch house. The ranch runs along the county road for about 3 miles. This road is not a high traffic road and mainly only used by surrounding landowners. We rarely see a vehicle that is unknown to us. After target practice, we exited to the county road and drove down the CR about 2 miles to a wheat field that border the road. We opened the gate and started spot lighting the wheat field. After not spotting anything a few of the girls needed to pee. We stopped and let them out. We had 2 rangers (both with LED bars and stereos blaring) with 6 people in each.

After the girls were finished, we were getting ready to leave when I noticed some lights flickering. When I looked back, all I could see was 1 small blue led and 1 small red led in the grill of the pickup. Both rangers are running, all of our lights are on, and both radios are jamming. I knew it was the warden and stepped out of the ranger. Nobody else noticed. I went back to the ranger and turned off the ranger and radio. At that point the GW had his hand on his side arm (still holstered but in a defensive position) and was screaming at me to "GET MY F$%^&&* HANDS UP!", to which I did so immediately. Finally everyone was wondering what I was doing and realized what was going on. He then grabbed my buddy that owns the ranch and pulled him to the back of his truck. After several minutes of talking to him he told me to "COME HERE NOW", to which I did.

He then proceeded to chew my butt out for not listening to him. We then had this conversation.
GW - "What did you shoot in the wheat field?"
ME - "Coyote. We can go back and look at it if you want?"
GW - "That wont be necessary."
looking at my watch and noticing that was almost 2 hours ago.
ME - "That was almost 2 hours ago. You have been watching us this whole time?"
GW - "Yes, I have. You have your hunting license?"
ME - "Absolutely."
At this point I became extremely angry. My reasoning is this guy just watched us for 2 hours. Just watched everyone's wife pop a squat.

ME - "Lets put this whole deal in perspective. You have been watching us for 2 hours and we haven't done anything illegal. You know who's land this is. You know we were riding around spotlighting with radios. And you roll up on us that way? What is that all about? You could have pulled up on us when we on the county road a few minutes earlier. It's not like we snuck up on you. You could have turned your light bar on. You could have hit your siren. There is a whole s#$% load of things you could have done different. We haven't done anything illegal and you damn near drew down on me."
GW - You can't be driving down the CR with those led lights on.
ME - why not. (buddy) does it all of time. Has been for years and the other GW didn't have an issue with it.
GW - .........
GW - (buddy) can do it because he has cattle and is checking on them.
ME - i have cattle too.
GW - .........
GW - I would prefer you let me know before you go spotlighting.
ME - Not a problem. I met you a couple months ago when we had the fire. You never offered your card but I gave you mine. Can I have your business card now?
GW - Here you go. I guess that will be all. How do I get out of here?
ME - Same way you came in. If you ever have another issue, you know my name and have my card. You know (buddy), just call us. And we will call the next time we go spotlighting.

The next weekend we called him to let him know we were going spotlighting. After about the 5th time, he told us we could just text him. After about 5th text, he told us not to worry about it any more.

Fast forward to February. We had been out quail hunting that evening and went spotlight for pigs on a wheat circle behind my house just after dark. (i use a thermal and spotted some pigs in the wheat and chased them down. I noticed lights coming down the CR and then turning onto my road that leads to my house. I head back to the house to see who it is because I wasn't expecting anyone. Guess who? It's the GW. I get to back to the house before he can stop and get out.
GW - "How's everything was going?"
ME - "Couldn't be better."
GW - I see some quail on the table. How was it?
ME - "Good. We shot 24 total. Just fixing to clean them and start supper. You hungry"
GW - "No Thank you.
He proceeds to go over to the table and count them.
GW - Yep 24. How many are yours?
ME - 10. We were just about to clean them when I noticed some pigs on the wheat circle thru my thermal. (point at the thermal)
GW - Thats similar to mine but its a hand held.
ME - Anything else?
GW - Nope. Have a good evening.

Haven't seen him since. Heard he moved up to DFW area. We currently do not have a GW for our county but the sheriff says we are getting another rookie. Fresh out of the academy. Looking forward to meeting him when he gets here.

BTW - We have a new name for our annual quail hunt. It's called "GET YOUR HANDS UP! Quail Hunt.

flag

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 12:50 AM

WOW I give you credit for taking time to type all that out

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 02:41 AM

to everyone that is on the bandwagon of unload your gun, have license ready, be cordial, etc. Some of us enjoy having a nice casual UNDISTURBED evening or morning hunt. While I am sitting out in my own privately owned hunting field, it is not very enjoyable to have to stop periodically and get checked out head to toe, truck front to back, and asked 21 questions about where I've been, where i'm going, when I went hunting last, how many I shot, and the famous "did you kill any deer" considering that I haven't deer hunted in over 5 years. all of this is brought on by being in total compliance with every law on your privately owned place....I cant see how some of you think that there is not anything wrong with the length of leash theyre on

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 03:27 AM

to everyone that is on the bandwagon of unload your gun, have license ready, be cordial, etc. Some of us enjoy having a nice casual UNDISTURBED evening or morning hunt. While I am sitting out in my own privately owned hunting field, it is not very enjoyable to have to stop periodically and get checked out head to toe, truck front to back, and asked 21 questions about where I've been, where i'm going, when I went hunting last, how many I shot, and the famous "did you kill any deer" considering that I haven't deer hunted in over 5 years. all of this is brought on by being in total compliance with every law on your privately owned place....I cant see how some of you think that there is not anything wrong with the length of leash theyre on

There are sheep, and there are sheep dogs.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 03:43 AM

So how shall they go about their job since you seem to know it all?
Game warden job ain't easy, during hunting season every single person has a gun on them, including criminals. You know how unnerving that has to be. I'm sorry, but if I just had an encounter and someone put me on edge, that's gonna take some time to wear off.

Does he know that you haven't deer hunted in 5 years, doubt it.
You get undisturbed hunts 99% of the time, quit griping. If you get checked frequently, there's a reason for that.

If you don't like it, too bad, you can either be cordial and get it over with or be a punk and make them leery of you.
Look at the hunting rules in Germany, Texas ain't too bad on hunting rules.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 03:52 AM

Glad I have never been stopped at my lease and never seen a GW in my county except driving down the highway once in 15 years. But been stopped 8 times in other counties always in dove fields with lots of people. 99% of time never see one. It's the name of the game. They either walk or drive 1/2 mile to reach me so no hunting is stopped except minute they read license. Walk to next person, no time lost. You getting stopped at your own place and checked like that, sorry but maybe friend the guy or gal, never heard of that. Never had a vehicle checked ever. I call it bad luck as never had one step foot on buddies places either unless called on purpose. confused2 cheers I got plenty of crazy stories and all are brought on by the hunter themselves. I have been taken aside and questioned trying to get info about someone else and no big deal when you are getting them out of a situation. Now if you have to lie, good luck.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 04:09 AM

I followed a GW all the way from Spur Texas to Killeen. We drove about 90 MPH the whole way. My kinda dude.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 04:26 AM

I followed a GW all the way from Spur Texas to Killeen. We drove about 90 MPH the whole way. My kinda dude.

If it is the same Kent county guy that's been there a long time, great guy. up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 04:28 AM

He was just wanting to meet the famous "Bobcat Strangler"....

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 04:28 AM

If it is the same Kent county guy that's been there a long time, great guy. up
No idea. He kept going when I exited in Killeen so either he was headed home, headed from home, or maybe going to the TPWD office in Temple.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 12:00 PM

Game warden job ain't easy, during hunting season every single person has a gun on them, including criminals. You know how unnerving that has to be. I'm sorry, but if I just had an encounter and someone put me on edge, that's gonna take some time to wear off.

You get undisturbed hunts 99% of the time, quit griping. If you get checked frequently, there's a reason for that.

If you don't like it, too bad, you can either be cordial and get it over with or be a punk and make them leery of you.

This ain’t Germany. It’s America, where I don’t have to show papers or prove that I’m not breaking the law. If a GW sees someone breaking the law, I’ve got no problem with them interacting with the law breaker. But to enter private property, without witnessing a crime (or even probable cause) is an anthema to most Americans.

Pleas tell us, out of all the hunters , how many “criminals”?

I’ve never had a problem with a GW, they’ve all been nice guys. Doesn’t mean that I don’t have 4th Amendment rights. GWs are the only branch of LE that violate people’s 4th Amendment rights every day.

Just because your ok with giving away your rights, don’t mean everybody else is.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 01:00 PM

This ain’t Germany. It’s America, where I don’t have to show papers or prove that I’m not breaking the law. If a GW sees someone breaking the law, I’ve got no problem with them interacting with the law breaker. But to enter private property, without witnessing a crime (or even probable cause) is an anthema to most Americans.

I’ve never had a problem with a GW, they’ve all been nice guys. Doesn’t mean that I don’t have 4th Amendment rights. GWs are the only branch of LE that violate people’s 4th Amendment rights every day.

Just because your ok with giving away your rights, don’t mean everybody else is.

Actually, you do have to have papers. You'd rather them be reactive to crime instead of proactive? Almost all game violaters are repeat offenders, so if they can catch small infractions, those lead to past violations that can mount up quickly.
Have y'all not ever read the game warden field notes? A good portion of those are just everyday checks. If they did away with those like y'all suggest, they couldn't catch half the criminals they do.

So yeah, maybe I am okay with them doing the job the way they do it. We only have these deer, ducks, and dove, and if there weren't game wardens out there enforcing laws, we wouldn't have any of those to hunt because people can't police themselves.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/08/18 01:24 PM

They do have lots of leeway compared to other LEOs.

Statutes allow them to go “wherever they reasonably suspect hunting or fishing activity is taking place” (paraphrasing) and inspect receptacles where game may be placed (i.e. coolers, sheds, etc.) with very few restrictions.

The courts have upheld these powers which don’t require probable cause to be shown under the 4th Amendment under the guise of their “inspection authority” - a similar rationale as the laws and court decisions allowing TSA checks at airports and BP/ICE checks at the border.

IMO these decisions go too far (just like the ones allowing interior “check stations”). But they are the state of the law right now.

I have had them drive into the ranch we were hunting (unknown to landowner) and drive through the bottom more than a mile into the interior of the ranch to check our camp. No other LEO could do that without landowner permission or a warrant unless they had witnessed or had a report of a crime taking place.

Makes zero sense to argue with or blame them though because, again, they don’t write the laws or court decisions.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/09/18 12:25 PM

Actually, you do have to have papers. You'd rather them be reactive to crime instead of proactive? Almost all game violaters are repeat offenders, so if they can catch small infractions, those lead to past violations that can mount up quickly.
Have y'all not ever read the game warden field notes? A good portion of those are just everyday checks. If they did away with those like y'all suggest, they couldn't catch half the criminals they do.

So yeah, maybe I am okay with them doing the job the way they do it. We only have these deer, ducks, and dove, and if there weren't game wardens out there enforcing laws, we wouldn't have any of those to hunt because people can't police themselves.

Excellent point. Maybe we should set up check points everywhere. Then we could all go thru them several times a day, & we could catch all “the bad guys”. You know, like in East Germany used to.

Your bleating makes me sick.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/09/18 01:12 PM

how should they do their job? lets see, sit around, watch people hunt and fish since neither are illegal activities. Upon observation of illegal activity, make contact with said person(s) and begin the "investigation" No different than other leo's you can't get pulled over just to check a DL, but if your license plate light is out, you opened the door for them. I try to keep the door shut at all times. I guess it's aggravating to me because I know of and hear of people doing things that are legitimately damaging the resources, and these squirrel sheriffs yall defend are out writing tickets for people shooting doves off of parked tailgates and breaking homemade stick plugs when they check them.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/09/18 06:50 PM

Actually, any cdl vehicle can be pulled over without cause, ask me how I know. Was it inconvenient, yep, but it's the power they have, doesn't bother me.

And if you hear of these things that damage the resources, call the game warden.

Y'all just wait until dove season opens and read the field notes. You'll see why they check plugs and stuff.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/09/18 06:54 PM

Excellent point. Maybe we should set up check points everywhere. Then we could all go thru them several times a day, & we could catch all “the bad guys”. You know, like in East Germany used to. 

I'm sorry, did my facts bother you? Flaky people like you is why I support the game wardens having the power they do.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/09/18 06:58 PM

I'm sorry, did my facts bother you? Flaky people like you is why I support the game wardens having the power they do.
other states do have check points and they catch a lot of people doing the wrong thing. It’s amazing how many people don’t tag deer or do it incorrectly or shoot something they don’t have a tag for. GWs greatest tool is other hunters speaking up when they see something wrong.
Posted By: Paralax22

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/09/18 07:16 PM

Only bad encounter I have had was on Toledo Bend fishing last summer. GW comes flying in on a aluminum boat that had no life left in it and he looked about 18. Asked my partner to see his life jackets and was pressuring him to give up that he was a guide since 3 of us were in the boat. No Guide and just a good friend taking his buddies fishing. Needless to say he lost his mind on my buddy because he asked him how tall he is and he said 72” (we are both Active Military so that’s common). GW said “no s***, how many feet is that you smart a**” and my buddy chuckled and said 6’0. GW wrote him a ticket for no life jacket and it was thrown out since we had all life jackets in the boat and the GW didn’t show to stand his ground on the life jacket issue.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/09/18 10:36 PM

I always demonstrate complete respect in spite of the fact most GW are more than 1/2 my age.I agree that a GW has a very stressful job with most folks he encounters being armed. In about 6 different positive experiences with GWs only once was did I find the situation upsetting and offensive.

One bad experience in Galveston many years ago a GW met us coming in at the launch ramp and did the routine check of fish and licenses. He then looks over my life jackets of which I had more than sufficient and starts yanking on several older ones that were a bit faded. He pulled hard enough that he ripped 2. None had any tears before he did his muscle thing. He then proceeds to give a citation for defective equipment. At the time I was working 7 days a week and had no time to go to court so I paid the fine in spite of my belief that this guy was an A hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: SALTSTORM

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/11/18 03:02 PM

Have had many encounters with GWs over the last 40 years and most by far were positive experiences however, a few, mainly with younger GWs right out of the Academy were somewhat unpleasant:

Was hunting the special Whitewing zone 20 yrs ago down in The Valley when two GWs approached our party. One of the GWs was a seasoned veteran of the department and the other was clearly a very green recruit fresh out of the academy who had a very poor understanding about doves in general. While pulling the birds out of my bag to count and examine, Green GW sees that I had a pigeon and began lecturing me on how wrong I was for shooting it and that he would have to write me a citation. When I explained to him that Feral Pigeons (aka Rock Doves) were not protected, he then accused me of having an attitude. When the older seasoned GW walked over to see what the fuss was all about, his younger partner held up my pigeon and said "look what this guy shot), at which time the older GW told him "give the man back his pigeon and move along". Not happy with being called on his error, the young GW proceeded to re-examine my remaining birds then held up a juvenile Mourning Dove and proceeded to tell me I had shot an Inca dove. However, by this time the older GW had walked off and I had no other means to prove him wrong. When I respectfully disagreed with him once more he accused me of giving him an attitude again then explained that he was going to be a "Nice Guy" and let me off with a warning.
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/12/18 01:37 AM

I have been checked 15-20 times and never received a citation or had a bad experience.
Always unload my gun when they are approaching and can see me do it. Then have my DL, hunting license and hunters ed card out and ready to show them.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/12/18 11:18 AM

I have become friends with a retired GW whom I visit with whenever I can. We got to talking about the changes in law enforcement over the years. He said when he became a warden in the 60's, every one of them liked to hunt and fish and did so every chance they got. He thought to be an effective warden, you had to love the sport. He said todays wardens, for the most part, don't care anything about hunting or fishing. Therefore, it's difficult for the wardens and hunters and fisherpersons see eye to eye. He and I both agree you need knowledge to do this job but, more than anything else, an enormous amount of common sense is the best.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/12/18 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: copperhead
I have become friends with a retired GW whom I visit with whenever I can. We got to talking about the changes in law enforcement over the years. He said when he became a warden in the 60's, every one of them liked to hunt and fish and did so every chance they got. He thought to be an effective warden, you had to love the sport. He said todays wardens, for the most part, don't care anything about hunting or fishing. Therefore, it's difficult for the wardens and hunters and fisherpersons see eye to eye. He and I both agree you need knowledge to do this job but, more than anything else, an enormous amount of common sense is the best.

Ah yes, rosy retrospection. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy_retrospection I am sure the wardens of the 30s and 40s felt the same way about the upstarts of the 60s.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. - 08/20/18 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Flashprism
I always demonstrate complete respect in spite of the fact most GW are more than 1/2 my age.

.........or less than half?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum