Texas Hunting Forum

Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt

Posted By: jasons

Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 07/30/18 12:37 PM

I won a draw in LA, and I think I can set up anywhere I want within the Joyce WMA. I will receive 3 tags, and I believe I can hunt the whole season, 30 days.
Is there things to look for when picking locations to hang baits? Ive heard people say to scout around early/late and look for bigger gators.
I am assuming they will be further back/harder to reach areas.

As a set up,
I basically came up with 10/12 hook
300-400lb line, someone said "mule tape"
Hang about 1-2ft above water

thinking rotten chicken, or nutra/raccoon as bait.

Not looking for a monster, seems like 8-9 foot could be realistic goal.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 07/30/18 11:54 PM

I want to go.
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 07/31/18 01:24 AM

Snapper John is our local expert. You can PM him,
Be sure you get a whole beef heart if your looking for a good one.it's been to many year's ago for me to be much help nidea up Good luck they are great eating critters.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 07/31/18 02:14 AM

Bald Eagles make the best bait. nidea
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 07/31/18 04:21 PM

Mule tape is what I would use. That stuff is awesome.
Posted By: Saltbayou

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 07/31/18 08:29 PM

Check your pm's.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 08/01/18 03:12 AM

Man Id love to do that! Im not far from the LA border if you need help laugh
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 08/01/18 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
Mule tape is what I would use. That stuff is awesome.

This. Make sure you can tie the knot and run it.
Posted By: Gulfgoose

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 08/01/18 03:31 PM

Look for slides. We use a juicy mix of chicken, beef kidney and beef liver. You can take the rotten liver between your hands (recommend chem gloves) and mash it into a paste and spread it in the water by your line. Brings fish activity in and creates a huge scent slick. We use about 10 ft of doubled over 400# twine with knots tied every foot or so. Gives a good spot to clip to and if one spot breaks you don't lose the lizard. Connect the twine to some poly rope. We use bright yellow so we can see a long ways off if it is down when we used to run a bunch of lines. Drive a t post in the ground with the ears facing the line. Tie the poly rope to the base. Then zip tie your cane pole to the t post at the desired angle. We use 2 or 3 metal chip clips zip tied to the pole to hold the line up. You want them stout enough to hold it up in whatever wind you have but not enough to impede the line from being pulled down.
Scout as much as possible. If allowed I recommend spotlight at night prior to season. Those big boys are territorial. A lot of times you won't see much if any during the day. One place we had 12 tags on you would rarely see any sign during the day but lit up like a Christmas tree with eyes when you ran a spotlight over it. We usually like to hang baits in spots where the wind takes the scent across the water to catch the attention of anything swimming by.
If you catch one, pull it up nice and easy. They are usually always gut hooked and will present you with one easy shot. Make it count, if you miss the rodeo is on. Make sure you keep the hide moist/cool during transport to prevent from ruining it. Think wet burlap or tarp with ice.
We've caught 40-50 lizards up to 12.5' using this system. Hope this helps.

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 08/01/18 08:10 PM

Thanks for all the help.

As far as passengers go...
It gets complicated if you are out of state. Im allowed to have a helper, but they have to be LA resident. Othwise, I can have friend. The friend cannot touch anything, lines, bait, gator, nothing. I only have 14ft boat, so will be too craped with extra friends. If something changes, ill keep everyone in mind.

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 08/05/18 02:45 PM

Thanks for everyone's help, tips. I have gotten the best guidance I think possible. All I need to do now is get out on the water. My hunt starts around sept. 8. Ill keep everyone posted on how it goes. Im going to try an GoPro some of it.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 08/05/18 09:30 PM

If you haven't bought your gear, here's what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Getter-Alligator-Kit-Made/dp/B01I289732

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 09/29/18 12:40 AM

Well, I filled my three tags and had a great time. I had some great hands on guidance from someone who knows the area really well. I greatly appreciated their time and knowledge, as well as all advice received here. I ended up with 6'3, 6'10 and 7'4. I would love to go again, its kinda like running trot lines. They are harder to skin than deer to me, though this was my first time. I am going to try the air-compressor method next time.

I really like how we get almost a month to hunt in LA, rather than 24-48 hours like the Texas draws. I did all three tags in 4 days. I had a great time going out in the boat, riding through the rivers and bayous, it was beautiful out there. This was a very memorable trip, and I really hope to go again.

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 09/29/18 12:42 AM

sorry about the odd spacing between the gator and boat, which makes it look like 14 gator, he was 7"4. It will make good story down the road, when he grows to 14ft, lol
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 09/29/18 01:02 AM

Congrats Jasons, those are some nice gators. I would really like to do that someday myself.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 09/29/18 02:40 AM

Great job up
Posted By: rickym

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 09/29/18 10:57 AM

up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Help catching Alligators, I won a draw hunt - 09/29/18 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
Congrats Jasons, those are some nice gators. I would really like to do that someday myself.
cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum