Texas Hunting Forum

Texas Slam

Posted By: dkershen

Texas Slam - 07/24/18 12:24 AM

Posted a similar question years ago and can't find the link. Let's see what the current THF mindset thinks.

TPWD defines the Texas Grand Slam as: desert bighorn sheep, white-tailed deer, pronghorn and mule deer.

In reality, the bighorn isn't likely to happen in my lifetime (easier to draw a unicorn tag I believe), so I personally define it as : Aoudad ram, white-tailed buck, pronghorn, large feral hog boar and mule deer buck. And when I have one of each on the wall I'll be a happy camper.

What do you consider the Texas "Big Game" Slam? And why?

For the sake of argument I define "Texas Big Game" as an animal that can be harvested free range in Texas, that traditionally requires a center fire rifle or bow. Chose as many as you think apply on this poll.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 01:01 AM

I defer for what we have draw hunts for (fed and state) minus the BH. Unless you are rocking 100k that’s a tough one.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 01:44 AM

WT, MD, hog, axis
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 02:01 AM

MD, WT, Pronghorn, and Texas Desert Sheep would be the only ones on my list. The rest of those exotics or predators would not be on my personal list. But others may enjoy hunting them cheers.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 02:31 AM

For me it would have to be all natives. Otherwise not a Texas animal. IMO
I threw the javelina in there just because the big horn is unobtainable for the regular guy.
Cool poll.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 03:18 AM

I would put the BH in the Super Grand Texas Slam category but not regular Grand Slam. I would do a Texas Slam, Grand Texas Slam and Super Grand Texas Slam. Pretty much like IGF records.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 03:58 AM

I spoke with an official with the Texas Big Game Awards and he advised me the javelina is now required. The official told me it's the length of the skull that determines if it's a trophy javelina or not.

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 05:52 AM

I know one person with a Texas BH. They live in Albany. I ate some her husband's BH he got from another state that was practically free compared to what it costs here. It costs more than I made in a year at the time.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 11:37 AM

I think the Texas slam should be a listed by TPWD, but add in a javelina.

I think you could also argue that their could easily be a Texas "exotic slam" with all the free range Axis, Aoudad, Blackbuck, Hogs, and Nilgai in certain areas of the state.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 12:16 PM

I don't consider a hog anything but a nuisance...……………...
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 01:17 PM

All I need is a BIghorn in Texas for a Slam as it is. Have 3 Mule Deer, loads of Whitetail, tired of shooting Javelina, and got my Texas Pronghorn in 2015. Have my name in the proverbial “hat” for Texas DBHS anywhere I can. Not to mention in for sheep in other states’ raffles.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 02:37 PM

WT, MD. MT Lion, Elk, Pronghorn up Same rationale as you on excluding the Desert Bighorn.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: NDN98
I think the Texas slam should be a listed by TPWD, but add in a javelina.

I think you could also argue that their could easily be a Texas "exotic slam" with all the free range Axis, Aoudad, Blackbuck, Hogs, and Nilgai in certain areas of the state.

This is a good idea!!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 03:23 PM

WT, MD, Pronghorn, Javelina. All the others are transplants or so rare that I'll never have a shot at one.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 04:18 PM

I think they should have a couple different ones. The "Texas Slam" would be whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn and javelina. Then maybe a "Super Slam" or something that throws in mountain lion, and finally a "Grand Slam" that includes desert big horn. Don't they do something similar with turkeys? That way, you can recognize how difficult simply obtaining that tag is.

I don't think transplants/exotics should be included.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil

Yep.
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 06:54 PM

WT, MD, PH, and Bighorn
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
MD, WT, Pronghorn, and Texas Desert Sheep would be the only ones on my list. The rest of those exotics or predators would not be on my personal list. But others may enjoy hunting them cheers.

you know you enjoy a good javalina hunt....

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

you know you enjoy a good javalina hunt....

Right up there with an Elk hunt, a doudad hunt, a hog hunt... loco
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Texas Slam - 07/24/18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
That is fun to hunt.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 02:12 AM

I didn't see squirrel anywhere on the list. food

Anyway, I put WT, MD, PH, and mountain lion because they are all Texas native big game (even though mountain lion is not officially big game in Texas).
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 02:17 AM

I ate some too. Guy lives in Colorado. I thought it was very gamey.
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I know one person with a Texas BH. They live in Albany. I ate some her husband's BH he got from another state that was practically free compared to what it costs here. It costs more than I made in a year at the time.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 06:48 AM

Uhhhh.... elk are native. What a bunch of knuckleheads.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 11:23 AM

Mule deer, pronghorn, WT, elk, and bighorn sheep. All native or once native. I know it's not the same original elk sub species but it's close enough IMO.

Although it is very difficult and expensive to get an opportunity at the BH, that's what makes it a rare accomplishment as it should be IMO.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 01:50 PM

I would see a Texas Slam being WT, MD, PH....add elk for Super.....add DB for Supreme

Then do a Texas exotic slam....divide into three levels

Also make a predator slam...again three levels
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Mule deer, pronghorn, WT, elk, and bighorn sheep. All native or once native. I know it's not the same original elk sub species but it's close enough IMO.

Although it is very difficult and expensive to get an opportunity at the BH, that's what makes it a rare accomplishment as it should be IMO.

If TPWD would recognize elk as native, I would completely support adding them to a slam.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SherpaPhil
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

If TPWD would recognize elk as native, I would completely support adding them to a slam.

Elk were/are native to Texas, but were once thought to have been eradicated in the state. However, the past few years TPWD has not specifically determined if the elk have increased naturally, escaped from private ranches, or migrated into the state ( which is not likely). In southwest Texas near the Big Bend area, there have been 4-5 instances where elk have caused highway traffic accidents!

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 03:50 PM

had a buddy that farmed near Dalhart, right on the border. Was always having to run off/shoot elk that crossed over from NM

From what I have understood, the Elk that were native to Texas were of the Merriams subspecies, which were a desert dwelling elk. from what I know about elk....they were hunted so hard during the late 1800's - early 1900's they were eradicated from most of their native range country wide with only the mountain dwelling elk surviving. Most of the herds now are transplanted Rocky Mountain elk.

So they were typically plains animals (not mountain dwelling like most herds today) that reached from coast to coast.

Jury is still out on what/how common they were but Texas is so big its assumable that prior to European influx that Elk did live and cross the borders of what Is now Texas....although a lack of pictures/stories/heads of dead elk killed in Texas prior to the 1900's are scarce.

I see them out in West Texas from time to time and they seem to be doing Well. I know guys who hunt in the Glass Mountains and they kill some monster ek

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 03:51 PM

http://circleranchtx.com/are-elk-native-to-texas-yes/

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 03:56 PM

Surprised no one mentioned black bears yet since they are becoming more common along the borders in SW and West Texas. Elk, Bear, and Bison were all native to this state at one time. As far elk numbers, there are way more of them out in the Trans Pecos area that people realize. Some ranches have 100's of them.

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 04:03 PM

Surprised no one mentioned black bears yet since they are becoming more common along the borders in SW and West Texas. Elk, Bear, and Bison were all native to this state at one time. As far elk numbers, there are way more of them out in the Trans Pecos area that people realize. Some ranches have 100's of them.

Longfellow probably has a thousand elk.

I know people that have seen black bear all the way up to the leakey area. There will be more and more common....but to me a little desert bear is more of a cool to-look at than a game animal.

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 09:24 PM

If the three, only elk are free range and legal to hunt.....bison are in private herds and bears are a No No!
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 09:33 PM

Native ungulates for me

Re: Texas Slam - 07/25/18 10:45 PM

Texas is a far, far different place than it was pre-1800's. From accounts all of south texas was a sea of grass with mesquite and oak only in the creek bottoms.

I was told a story of a rancher in Hebbronville that his ancestorys who founded the ranch used to see pronghorn antelope there up until the 1930's.

I think most people would be surprised at the diversity of animals that were around back then.....It was a lot more than just a bunch of whitetail deer.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Texas Slam - 07/26/18 01:23 AM

Mulie
Whitetail
Pronghorn
Axis
Elk

3 natives
1 exotic (making a good living)
1 used to be native, making a comeback
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Texas Slam - 07/26/18 01:25 AM

Longfellow probably has a thousand

One thousand is severely under shooting it. Hunted the Longfellow in September. There's way more than one thousand.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Texas Slam - 07/26/18 04:17 PM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species

Exotic Animals and Fowl
An exotic animal is any animal that is not indigenous to Texas, including but not limited to feral hog, Russian boar, aoudad sheep, axis deer, elk, sika deer, fallow deer, red deer, and blackbuck and nilgai antelope. An exotic fowl is any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Texas Slam - 07/28/18 03:46 AM

Elk could have migrated into Texas from NM. I've hunted Unit 30 for years around the Queen area and there are lots of elk there. I'm sure they could have drifted from there into Texas through the National Park. Plus, there's a large elk refuge on the Texas/NM line at the entry point into the National Park at McKittrick Canyon. So, it's possible elk wander into Texas on their own. Two years ago I almost hit one on the west side of Lake Buchanan crossing the road. Was not expecting that.

Re: Texas Slam - 08/02/18 08:49 PM

One I didn't see here was alligator. A real fun hunt.
As far as pronghorn, I've just been drawn for a pronghorn hunt in the TPWD drawings so hopefully I'll be able to check that one off! banana
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Texas Slam - 08/02/18 09:15 PM

Interesting

Re: Texas Slam - 08/02/18 11:25 PM

I may be ignorant but don’t see the challenge for gators.....interesting idea tho.....

Re: Texas Slam - 08/02/18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I may be ignorant but don’t see the challenge for gators.....interesting idea tho.....

You are absolutely correct, not much challenge at all. When that sucker is on on the line, all ticked off spinning and snapping though, your heart rate will definitely go through the roof! You can make it more challenging using archery gear if you choose.

Besides, I've been on a bunch of deer hunts that weren't much of a challenge either.

Re: Texas Slam - 08/03/18 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

You are absolutely correct, not much challenge at all. When that sucker is on on the line, all ticked off spinning and snapping though, your heart rate will definitely go through the roof! You can make it more challenging using archery gear if you choose.

Besides, I've been on a bunch of deer hunts that weren't much of a challenge either.

Agree..... up...I bet a really big lizard can be a handful in a hurry....

Re: Texas Slam - 08/04/18 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Longfellow probably has a thousand

One thousand is severely under shooting it. Hunted the Longfellow in September. There's way more than one thousand.

The LF was way north of 1000 cow elk alone about 5-6 years ago.

Re: Texas Slam - 08/05/18 05:59 AM

Texas is a far, far different place than it was pre-1800's. From accounts all of south texas was a sea of grass with mesquite and oak only in the creek bottoms.

I was told a story of a rancher in Hebbronville that his ancestorys who founded the ranch used to see pronghorn antelope there up until the 1930's.

I think most people would be surprised at the diversity of animals that were around back then.....It was a lot more than just a bunch of whitetail deer.

I remember reading something about how S. Tex turned from primarily grasslands to brush country. Carrizo Springs is named for the grass that was common. There were artesian wells all over and used to irrigate some ag fields. Then the springs went dry so no more farming. Cattle and sheep pooped what they eat everywhere and the brush took over. They probably didn't manage like now and severe droughts destroyed the grasslands. I probably over simplified it though. Same can be said for many areas west where deer were not as abundant as they are now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum