Texas Hunting Forum

Training a GSP

Posted By: ragin_cajuns

Training a GSP - 07/19/18 07:42 PM

Excuse me if this isn't the correct forum for training questions but I didn't see a dedicated spot.

I have a 4 month old German Short Hair Pointer that I want to send to obedience training in the Fall and this is all new to me. Anyone have recommendations on places to start with some good obedience training?

I've heard about Landmark Retrievers in Ennis from someone who had their dog trained there but was looking for other possible good places to investigate before we make a decision.

Thanks,
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Training a GSP - 07/19/18 08:37 PM

You might wanna have a Mod move this to Gun Dogs.
Posted By: JTS

Re: Training a GSP - 07/19/18 09:57 PM

At 4 months I would just work on basic obedience on your own. Like sit, stay, heel, play fetch etc. This winter I would try an put him on a bunch of birds and see how he does.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Training a GSP - 07/19/18 10:25 PM

What kind of goals do you have for this pup? What do you want this dog to be able to do when he’s finished?
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Training a GSP - 07/21/18 02:21 PM

at 4 months, don't over do, go as much as he lets you know, "have to be smarter than the dog"
Posted By: Cphillips

Re: Training a GSP - 07/21/18 09:33 PM

Buy the book Gun Dog by Richard Wolters and get to work.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/gun-dog-re...mp;idiq=4708507
Posted By: nate33

Re: Training a GSP - 07/21/18 09:56 PM

Buy the book Gun Dog by Richard Wolters and get to work.(did someone already mention this ? )
Posted By: ragin_cajuns

Re: Training a GSP - 08/14/18 03:27 PM

Thanks for the input. Has anyone heard of a trainer in the Argyle area - Ronnie somebody? Someone told me about him but didn't have his info and I forgot the last name.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Training a GSP - 08/15/18 08:51 PM

I have used "Mans Best Friend" for obedience on two different dogs with excellent results. My GSP was about 4 months as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum