Texas Hunting Forum

Wednesday Would You Rather?

Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 03:48 PM

Would you rather go hunting solo by yourself, or take along a friend or family member, and why?
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 03:49 PM

I'd rather take one of my kids. Do I really need to answer why?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 04:03 PM

Kids or solo.....

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 04:09 PM

I just like to hear other perspectives. I personally don't have kids yet, but will here in a couple years. In that regard, I didn't even think about that option as my Dad never took me, and I don't have any to take. Thanks for input. But I totally could see why, just didn't think of children when I posted. Best regards
Posted By: Blank

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 04:21 PM

I really enjoy the solitude of hunting by myself, and enjoy the camaraderie of being with my wife or kids.

When hunting ELK, I'll take all the help I can find, for packers!!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 04:47 PM

Both, somebody else along for the camp time camaraderie, but solo during the actual hunting time. With exceptions, bird hunting never hunt alone, it is too boring.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 04:51 PM

I enjoy hunting with other people. maybe not being side by side all the time, but enjoy hunting with a small group as opposed to being by myself at camp
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 05:21 PM

Depends on what I'm hunting. Dove hunting by myself, even when there's a lot of birds, just isn't as much fun as going with a group. Same for quail and pheasants, although the group size needs to be smaller. Deer or any other type of big game I'm fine going it alone.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 06:04 PM

I’d rather go with one other person. Hopefully when my daughter gets older she will want to hunt. I’ll be living the dream if that happens.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 06:20 PM

I have spent the majority of my hunting life hunting alone. I have never had a problem hunting WT or MD alone in Texas or Kansas. The older I get the more I am starting to enjoy the extra set of eyes when glassing for MD out west. Just to much country to glass thoroughly alone. I still hunt alone a lot out there though. I still prefer to hunt alone for WT here on my own place. For me it is just something about hunting what I want, where I want, when I want and at my own pace or time frame that has always driven me to go hunting.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 06:38 PM

When I was younger and more mad at em, I would rather go solo.

Now I enjoy both. Especially time around camp I enjoy much more with friends and family.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 06:56 PM

Like having my son or a friend with me on the lease when hunting....makes for good company.

I do like going to the lease alone this time of year to check feeders/cameras/camper etc....
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 07:00 PM

With a friend or family member assuming they enjoy/respect the experience of it all, not just in it to kill something. Otherwise, alone all the time.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 07:53 PM

I don’t hunt or play golf alone. The only time I like to go without other people is if I have a young pup im working with.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 08:43 PM

I am on the verge of having my bardoninium finished on my place, so I can't wait to get to actually have my wife out there at "camp" (which has up until now always been a hotel or my truck) to share the hunt with her. If I agree to not shoot anything she may even go sit in stand with me to watch deer. That's the best, as I have gotten her to sit a few times this summer and she enjoys seeing the deer upclose and personal.

I do enjoy taking my kids hunting. My son prefers to bow hunt alone. I get it, it is tight quarters and more scent means less deer. We always hunt together, just separate stands at different locations on the property. My daughters prefer to hunt with me still. Love that time with them. They enjoy it, my oldest is still waiting for the first kill with me, but my youngest has big buck fever bad. Its fun to watch.

I do enjoy some alone time out there though. Hog hunting I will sit all by myself and listen to the woods. Deer hunting I like hearing things wake up and go to sleep. My catharsis. I am not sure which is better for my soul, guiding my kids or personal catharsis....I think I enjoy guiding my kids more.

Got to hunt with one of my brothers last year and this year he is planning on coming again. He is anxious to kill an loved shooting a hog last year, loved it. That was fun, introducing a newbie to night hog hunting. Hoping to hook him up with some venison this year.

SO all in all, solo or with family and friends, I enjoy it. As long as it is drama free. Bring drama and you wont get an second invite.

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 09:10 PM

Texas Buckeye! THISSSSS is what I was trying to get out of someone. Thank you!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 09:12 PM

I am in a talky kind of mood today, as you could see from one of my other posts...glad you enjoyed the post.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 09:27 PM

both to some degree. I grew up hunting with my dad and his buddies, since I was young, I always sat with someone, mostly dad. but as I got older to where I could sit alone, that gave us more opportunities to have 2 sets of eyes in different parts of the pasture. Same went for my son & daughter, they started out with me until we both felt comfortable for them to sit alone. But it's almost always more enjoyable to have multiple people at camp for after hunting camaraderie and meals. I am sure that in the near future I will start having grandkids in the stand with me to start the process all over again.

my wife thinks it funny that I can sit in the woods all day long hunting deer but 15 minutes of fishing if they aren't biting and I am done.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/18/18 10:32 PM

I've always enjoyed hunting with my son but I'll solo during the week because I can.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/19/18 01:01 AM

I normally invite someone if no one else on the lease will be there but I don't want them sitting next to me while actually hunting unless I am guiding them or my kid. I enjoy the cammaderie at camp or doing work. Plus they can suck venom out if I get hit by a rattler.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/19/18 02:01 AM

I hunt by myself about 3-4 days a week. I enjoy the peace and quiet but I also like hunting with good friends.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/19/18 04:46 PM

If I can't take one of my Grandkids then, alone. No man has ever made a stained glass window to rival the rising or setting sun.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/19/18 10:15 PM

Things have changed for me over the years. I have taken enough game that I no longer have anything to prove to myself. I get a bigger kick out of seeing the excitement of a family member or close friend with less experience, successfully take a desireable animal, or watching a good dog work these days.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/20/18 10:50 AM

Hunt alone, partners at camp to cook and party with. I'm way to serious and focused about deer hunting to have someone with me. After I've got my buck, I enjoy my wife or grandson, friend or others with me. Beng alone in camp is a drag, but I do it.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/21/18 01:46 AM

I can hunt alone and often do. I like having my children or grandchildren with me though. you just don't get that time again so take it when it's there. I have done and enjoyed a week or more alone in the woods. I am comfortable talking and answering my own questions. nothing wrong here.
Posted By: Western

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/21/18 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have spent the majority of my hunting life hunting alone. I have never had a problem hunting WT or MD alone in Texas or Kansas. The older I get the more I am starting to enjoy the extra set of eyes when glassing for MD out west. Just to much country to glass thoroughly alone. I still hunt alone a lot out there though. I still prefer to hunt alone for WT here on my own place. For me it is just something about hunting what I want, where I want, when I want and at my own pace or time frame that has always driven me to go hunting.

Pretty much the same including elk, only been a few I shared camp with that is was great. When I was younger we went to the rockies as a group, sometimes with as many as 10, after 7 days it can be a chore with drama imo. Last 7-10 years went solo, less stress.. With the right couple of people, it came be a real good time when everyone is on the same page tho.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/21/18 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
When I was younger and more mad at em, I would rather go solo.

Now I enjoy both. Especially time around camp I enjoy much more with friends and family.
Exactly
Posted By: Stub

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/22/18 12:41 AM

When I was younger I enjoyed the hell out of hunting and fishing with my fun and rowdy friends, never a dull moment muyloco
Once I had kids it was all about them first, then fun with everyone else second. Fortunately I have been able to enjoy both cheers

To answer your question, I would much rather enjoy the great outdoors with my family first up
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/22/18 01:38 AM

I probably hunt (scout) 90% alone. There is something therapeutic about being alone with God and nature.
But my favorite memories are the cool trips with my daughters and my wife.
But them there was that time alone when a 300 pound boar showed up. I was jumping up and down in the woods and mud all by myself, and I could barely move that monster. I facetimed everyone that I could think of.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/22/18 01:45 AM

I hunt with my son until he starts to get tired of it, usually around the first week of December. Then I hunt by myself.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/22/18 02:52 AM

I’ve enjoyed every aspect of hunting both with family and by myself. It started with my dad and me when I was 10 yrs. old. Now 55years later it’s mentoring my two young grandsons along with my wife and son. I’ve been very successful and have had many great memories over the years. I’ve always enjoyed sharing the success of my dad, wife and son but for me nothing beats the excitement of seeing your son or grandsons harvesting his first deer.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/22/18 04:08 PM

Quote:
When ya huntsolo your memories die with ya

flag
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/24/18 02:28 PM

I grew up hunting with my dad and his friends. What I wouldn't give to do that again. Unfortunately, they're all gone now. The older I get, the more I prefer hunting by myself. My son is in Korea on the government's dime and my daughters could care less. My wife will come out occasionally and sit by the fire. I look forward to the day when my nephews can come, the oldest one has been out some. I cant wait to share that experience with them. But until their sports activities subside (which is a long time from now), I am on my own for the most part and I like it.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Wednesday Would You Rather? - 07/24/18 03:13 PM

One of my kids or solo. Even though my kids ate 36 and 38 now still love being around them outdoors.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum