Texas Hunting Forum

Water storage-

Posted By: ldfalcon123

Water storage- - 06/12/18 11:42 PM

So hunting off the grid no water or electricity other then generator anyone have a ways the keep water for the rv around?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Water storage- - 06/12/18 11:50 PM

Totes are the cheapest way to get water IME.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Water storage- - 06/13/18 03:28 PM

Food grade totes/barrels should work. We use to use a few big ice chests to haul water, screw a hose to the drain and put it ontop of the tool box or bed rail of the pickup.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Water storage- - 06/13/18 03:50 PM

Plastic barrels or 5 gallon water totes.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Water storage- - 06/13/18 04:48 PM

150 gallon tank plumbed into an on demand water pump. We refill it with a 275 gallon tote that we run into town and fill at the fire station. We built a plywood "shed" around the tank to keep the sun off it, and every fill we pour in about one cup of bleach to 100 gallons of water and that generally keeps it clean enought between visits. We have a thermal cube hooked up to a light bulb mounted right near the pump to try and keep it warm when it's below freezing outside. Been that way for almost ten years now, only issue is when close to or below 0.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Water storage- - 06/13/18 10:19 PM

welcome ta texasHF.

2cents 55gal. plastic barrel. Not sure were your located, SW part of Mineola used ta be able ta pic up an old style hand water pump cheap.
flag
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Water storage- - 06/14/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: ldfalcon123
So hunting off the grid no water or electricity other then generator anyone have a ways the keep water for the rv around?
here in the Austin area, have a good source for food grade steel barrels that I use.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Water storage- - 06/14/18 02:10 AM

tractor supply 65 gal horizontal white tank, can tuck neatly in cab leaving room for coolers and acc.

12 v pump

use what you need , the rest pump into a holding tank (250 gal totes, 55 gal drums etc ... )
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Water storage- - 06/14/18 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

^^^ this....you can get 275 gal totes in Dallas for $40...wash em out and you're good to go.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Water storage- - 06/14/18 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Schpanky
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

^^^ this....you can get 275 gal totes in Dallas for $40...wash em out and you're good to go.

That is what we use but you will need two. One for camp and one to haul water to the camp.

One tote will last me 6 months with showers and wash ups. If my wife is there it may last a couple of weeks. roflmao
Posted By: Cast

Re: Water storage- - 06/14/18 06:22 PM

Bear in mind that water weighs about 8 1/3 pounds per gallon.

275x8.34=2,293.5 pounds.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Water storage- - 06/14/18 08:13 PM

I have a similar set up ... I bought a food grade plastic barrel, built up a PVC replacement bung with a water facet installed so a hose could be connected. The other bung, I drilled a hole and installed a stainless steel tire valve stem. I stand the barrel up in the truck and fill at home, then transport to the lease, lay the barrel down in the bed of the truck with facet towards the tail gate, attach a garden hose to the faucet, open the facet, then use a 12Vdc air compressor to apply a little bit of pressure thru the valve stem to pressurize the barrel to help the flow rate. It takes 5-10 minutes to offload 55 gallons of water into the holding tank of the RV ...

The barrel is easy to maneuver by one person and easy to store when not in use.
Posted By: don k

Re: Water storage- - 06/14/18 08:40 PM

Paint it black on the outside so the stuff won't grow inside. Or have someway to keep it out of the light.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum