Texas Hunting Forum

Potential juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake

Posted By: TTT Ranch

Potential juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/08/18 06:41 PM

I passed by it right after it was hit at 11:30ish. Happened at 114 and Carroll in Southlake. About 30-40 lbs. I called the game warden just now to confirm I saw what I thought I saw and he was headed to the scene. Said he had gotten numerous callls about a dead one on the highway.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/08/18 06:55 PM

Not suprised.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/08/18 07:10 PM

Good thing it wasn't a full grown mountain. Coulda been a CAT azz trophy.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/08/18 07:19 PM

popcorn
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/08/18 08:35 PM

I drove by it and it looked like a juvenile black panther.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/08/18 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
I drove by it and it looked like a juvenile black panther.

Color-phase panther
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/08/18 09:25 PM

Where there is one...

Those soccer mom trophy wives at Starbucks in their yellow H2s better tuck their tiny doggies in their Louis Vuittons ASAP!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/08/18 09:26 PM

^^^Cougars...get it?
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/08/18 11:29 PM

worthless
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/09/18 02:26 AM

popcorn
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/09/18 03:53 AM

popcorn
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/09/18 06:41 PM

In other news... Bigfoot is the hide and seek world champion
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/09/18 07:42 PM

I think a Juvenile mountain is just refered to as a hill
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/09/18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I think a Juvenile mountain is just refered to as a hill

roflmao Thought about saying that.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/09/18 09:05 PM

Would not surprise me one bit being so close to the south side of lake Grapevine. Lived on the north side a block from the lake for 18 years and neighbors bordering the COE have seen a couple. Like to hear if it was a confirmed mountain lion.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/10/18 12:58 PM

Any word?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/10/18 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bucks and Ducks
worthless
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/10/18 02:04 PM

Why all the questions? We saw one up along the Red just a few years back. First saw the tracks in the snow and sleet then the big cat crossed the road right in front of us. They are around.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/10/18 03:11 PM

I would be shocked to see a wild mountain lion in that area. If one was truly seen or hit on the highway, my first thoughts are that it escaped from someone who had it as a pet.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/10/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Wytex
Why all the questions? We saw one up along the Red just a few years back. First saw the tracks in the snow and sleet then the big cat crossed the road right in front of us. They are around.

If by the "Red" you mean the Red River, that is nowhere near Southlake. For that matter, Pig_Popper and I saw one in eastern Montague County, earlier this year. Back in March, one was killed over in Mineral Wells (Palo Pinto County). That would be much closer and is a confirmed observation. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/animals/2018/03/03/mountain-lion-north-texas-officials-mean-find Several years ago, the game warden in Denton County (just a few miles north of the possible kill) was interviewed by the Denton Record Chronicle about a rash of mountain lion sightings we had. As of that time, he had never investigated a single sighting where the sighting could be justified. Photos turned out to have perspective issues (usually house cats or bobcats) and tracks usually turned out to be canid. I don't know of any that have been in Tarrant County where this one occurred and TPWD doesn't seem to, either. https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_w7000_0232.pdf

So a mountain lion in Southlake would be rather unusual these days. Mountain lions can range over a very large area and while geographically all of Texas is potential mountain lion habitat, there are areas where they have not been seen or not seen in decades.

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/10/18 03:49 PM

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/11/18 01:59 AM

Apparently he didn’t use the proper crossing.......

Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/11/18 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: sbushee
In other news... Bigfoot is the hide and seek world champion

roflmao

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/11/18 02:16 PM

Well I grew up in Grapevine so I know exactly where Southlake is. And if you think Mtn lions could not be in that area you are not correct.
Yes I meant the Red River north of Muenster.
Mtn Lions have a large home range . We have confirmed sightings in town up here so don't think people will keep them away.
I have seen some in the wild , in Texas and here in Wyoming. We have harvested 2 of them, nice wall rugs when taken in winter. Occasionally a juvenile will wander into town here. Had a friend just this week heard a loud noise on his roof, when he went out a mtn lion jumped off and ran away. They are not bigfoot, just wildlife looking to expand it's home range.

I'll be more surprised if it turns out to not be a mtn lion.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/11/18 02:58 PM

Well I grew up in Grapevine so I know exactly where Southlake is. And if you think Mtn lions could not be in that area you are not correct.
Mtn Lions have a large home range . We have confirmed sightings in town up here so don't think people will keep them away.
I have seen some in the wild , in Texas and here in Wyoming. We have harvested 2 of them, nice wall rugs when taken in winter. Occasionally a juvenile will wander into town here. Had a friend just this week heard a loud noise on his roof, when he went out a mtn lion jumped off and ran away. They are not bigfoot, just wildlife looking to expand it's home range.

Yelp, been sightings north on other side of the lake. The head waters of Grapevine is thick and nasty. That creek bottom runs all the way to the red. Grapevine and Lewisville are packed with deer and hogs. Lots of food down there

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/11/18 05:09 PM

I never said, that did I? Maybe you missed the part where it was noted that all of Texas is potential habitat for mountain lions?

Yes, yes they do, but it is very unlikely any mountain lions on the Red River are coming down to Grapevine. Home ranges don't tend to be linear without significant geographical obstructions.

It very well may be a mountain lion, but the vast majority of mountain lion in reports in the DFW area turn out to be false or inconclusive. So to get back to your original query about why all the questions, it is because this will be unique in that it is a confirmed observation. After all, when was the last time one was killed here? For that matter, when was the last time there were confirmed reports from here?

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/11/18 07:09 PM

Just because they have not been confirmed does not mean they are not there.
A mt lion could easily roam from along the Red River down to the metroplex, juveniles looking for new territory roam quite a ways.

Oklahoma had no confirmed sightings the year my spouse saw, and stopped to look at a dead mt lion along Highway 287 in the panhandle.

When you questioned if I meant "the Red River, it is nowhere near Southlake", that is why I responded I grew up in Grapevine and know where Southlake is, that is what you said.

I do agree that most have no clue what a mt lion looks like, but once you see one in person you never forget.

By the way a mt lion was documented to have traveled from the Black Hills to Connecticut. That is over 1,600 miles.

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/11/18 08:38 PM

Just because they have not been confirmed does not mean they are not there.

Nobody is saying they aren't there. What about that don't you understand?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/11/18 08:58 PM

Odds are much much much much much better that it's simply a bobcat. In fact I'd bet $$ on it. Since the game warden was called out to confirm, it should be in the news tomorrow. The mountain lion killed in Mineral Wells back in March was confirmed, and a statement released by TPWD the next day.

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/12/18 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

If by the "Red" you mean the Red River, that is nowhere near Southlake. For that matter, Pig_Popper and I saw one in eastern Montague County, earlier this year. Back in March, one was killed over in Mineral Wells (Palo Pinto County). That would be much closer and is a confirmed observation. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/animals/2018/03/03/mountain-lion-north-texas-officials-mean-find Several years ago, the game warden in Denton County (just a few miles north of the possible kill) was interviewed by the Denton Record Chronicle about a rash of mountain lion sightings we had. As of that time, he had never investigated a single sighting where the sighting could be justified. Photos turned out to have perspective issues (usually house cats or bobcats) and tracks usually turned out to be canid. I don't know of any that have been in Tarrant County where this one occurred and TPWD doesn't seem to, either. https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_w7000_0232.pdf

So a mountain lion in Southlake would be rather unusual these days. Mountain lions can range over a very large area and while geographically all of Texas is potential mountain lion habitat, there are areas where they have not been seen or not seen in decades.

Excuse me sir , but your quote seems to me to say you are doubting it to be possible or true. Sorry if I misinterpreted it as that, but that's how I read it.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/12/18 10:16 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Stub

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/12/18 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Yelp, been sightings north on other side of the lake. The head waters of Grapevine is thick and nasty. That creek bottom runs all the way to the red. Grapevine and Lewisville are packed with deer and hogs. Lots of food down there

It would be rare but very possible, as mentioned above where there is plenty of groceries, there will be diners.
Cannot find any info on the web for it so probably not the case this time confused2

Mountain lions are solitary animals. Their ranges can vary in size from 10 square miles to around 370 square miles
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/12/18 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
popcorn

popcorn peep
Posted By: Stub

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/12/18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass&More
Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
popcorn

popcorn peep

That happened in the parking lot of the Southlake high school laugh Oh wait they have Dragons hammer

Should have sicked the baseball team on it up
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/12/18 02:43 PM

I have met about 10 people which two I work with that have seen a mt lion around Lake Grapevine.
Lots of creeks and caves etc around the lake

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/12/18 06:09 PM

Well, got an answer from someone who made some calls, Clayton Wolf let me know it's a bobcat. He talked with the biologist who talked to the responding GW, if that makes sense.

NP was right on ! Who mistakes a bobcat for a mountain lion ? Sounds like a decent sized bc.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/12/18 07:07 PM

Well, got an answer from someone who made some calls, Clayton Wolf let me know it's a bobcat. He talked with the biologist who talked to the responding GW, if that makes sense.

NP was right on ! Who mistakes a bobcat for a mountain lion ? Sounds like a decent sized bc.
I thought this thread was about a juvenile mountain

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/12/18 07:35 PM

Well looky here. Another claimed mountain lion turns out to NOT be a mountain lion. banana

Who mistakes a bobcat for a mountain lion?? Based on the numbers of erroneous reports, LOTS of people.

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/12/18 07:43 PM

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/13/18 02:52 PM

food

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/13/18 02:55 PM

I'm more than willing to admit I was wrong, at least we know the difference between the two.
By the way, that crow looks puny.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Juvenile mountain killed on Hwy 114 in Southlake - 06/13/18 08:40 PM

City folks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum