Texas Hunting Forum

Fruit trees for deer/hogs?

Posted By: MrWhite87

Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/30/18 12:51 AM

I want to plant some fruit trees for the deer. Seems like 6 pear and 6 persimmon trees will be prime. I intend to use the tree tubes to protect them for awhile. I'm just curious if the pigs will be attracted more than the deer and keep them at bay.

Anyone else have fruit trees primarily for wildlife? What's your story with them?
I like details cause knowledge is power, baby.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/30/18 01:40 AM

I have Mexican plum trees on my place. I see deer and pigs eating sxs all the time.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/30/18 01:52 AM

I would think raccoons could get most of them on the tree before any deer or hog had a chance at the fruit on the ground. I would just make sure anything I planted would have fruit ripen when deer season is open(archery or general) and I planted enough of them to benefit.
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/31/18 12:10 AM

Anything drought tolerant too
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/31/18 01:47 AM

I've wondered if crabapple would be good.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/31/18 02:26 AM

Pear trees do well if you can provide water until established.

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/31/18 12:48 PM

I plan to order tree tubes and space them properly then I'll head out to water them every week that rain isn't in the forecast. I really wanna try a few varieties of apples peaches pears and persimmons to keep things pollinating properly and extend the harvesting days of my orchard.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/31/18 02:33 PM

popcorn up
flag
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/31/18 02:38 PM

Coons will love them. They ate all my figs before the deer got them. frown frown

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/31/18 02:47 PM

So I can start my 5 year old out hunting coons off the orchard. This project just gets better and better. Lol
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/31/18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MrWhite87
So I can start my 5 year old out hunting coons off the orchard. This project just gets better and better. Lol

This sounds like the best plan.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/31/18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Originally Posted By: MrWhite87

This sounds like the best plan.
up
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 05/31/18 06:02 PM

Apples are tough in Texas heat, peaches ususally prefer regular watering and well drained soil.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 06/01/18 11:50 AM

Pear trees are hardy and the deer love them. The deer also love the wild plum thickets.
Posted By: don k

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 06/01/18 11:53 AM

Not trying to be negative but if you are just planting planning on planting them for deer I would think there are better options. I have probably 10 old pear trees on my property. They do not produce fruit every year. Some years because of lack of rain and some because they bloom and then we get a freeze and the blooms fall off. When they do produce fruit the coons have a field day. The deer also take advantage but most of the time it is all over in a short time. To try to get fruit trees started and to get to a producing age is at least here a tuff go. And unless you are young you may not ever see the results. But good luck you will never know unless you try.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Fruit trees for deer/hogs? - 06/01/18 02:07 PM

I plant one or two trees near my stand every year. My best luck has been with pear and mexican plum. Insect and disease killed every apple I planted. Go with crab apples but research the varieties. Many are just ornamental. Persimmons never would grow well on our place in young county for some reason. Pears are your best bang for the buck, but research for late varieties if you plan on hunting over them. Kiefer does well for me. I dig my own mexican plums finding small trees already producing.Fence your trees too or the hogs will dig them up right after you plant them. Consider chestnut trees as well for an earlier to start producing tree than other mast trees.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum