Texas Hunting Forum

Stupid question

Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Stupid question - 05/22/18 10:26 PM

How can you tell if your shotgun has a barrel that you can shoot slugs through?
I thought about playing around with my 590 to shoot hogs
I have rifles, but thought it might be interesting to try my 12 gauge, just for a change of pace
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Stupid question - 05/22/18 10:56 PM

Can shot slug threw smooth bore, people done it here (Mn) for years deer hunten, & shot slugs threw me 410 hog hunten, just not as accurate. Son bought a rifle barrel for his mosburg 12ga for roughly $100.00.
Edit: cheers RattlesnakeDan all about the choke.
flag
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Stupid question - 05/22/18 11:09 PM

As long as it is not "full choke" I think you are ok. Some barrels are not very accurate with slugs tho so need to shoot some to find out.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Stupid question - 05/22/18 11:52 PM

Smooth bore shotguns require use of foster style rifled slugs. Rifled barreled shotguns require sabot style slugs. Both require rifle sights or a scope for reasonable accuracy.
As said previously, full choke shotguns are not recommended for shooting rifled slugs. Most slug guns have an open cylinder bore.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Stupid question - 05/23/18 12:42 PM

You best use a barrel without any choke, Cylinder or open choke unless it's made for slugs such as rifled
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Stupid question - 05/23/18 01:26 PM

The 590 was designed as a combat shotgun so it will definitely shoot slugs. As Pappybear said, foster slugs for smoothbores and sabots for rifled barrels.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Stupid question - 05/23/18 11:39 PM

For purposes of discussion, anyone able to share the expected range of a Foster slug fired from a smooth bore barrel as compared to a sabot through a rifled barrel? I seem to remember reading that a rifled sabot can easily reach a 100 yard target with plenty of accuracy. Not sure how much drop would result however.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Stupid question - 05/24/18 12:16 AM

I neck shot a small buck moving at about 60 yards with a smooth bore Mossberg 500 IC barrel.

I am not trying to one up anyone, just giving the info.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Stupid question - 05/24/18 12:31 AM

TD, the benchmark for most smoothbore shotguns with rifled sights or scope is a 3” group at 75 yds.
I have a Remington 870 Deermaster smoothbore that will reliably give me 3” group at 100 yds.using Brenneke 2 3/4” slugs.
Saboted slugs fired from rifled barrels are capable of 3” groups at 150 yds.or more.
Performances from one shotgun barrel to the next in smoothbore s can be very different. The same goes with different manufacturers and sizes of slugs.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Stupid question - 05/24/18 01:10 AM

I grew up in Illinois, where it is shotgun only for deer. I used a bolt action Marlin with a fully rifled barrel and scope. I never measured groups, but could reliably hit a beer can at 100 yards. I would sight in dead on at 100 and just hold where I wanted to hit out to about 125. Past that, it dropped like a rock. We would play around shooting 200 yard targets, but it was basically artillery calculations.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum