Texas Hunting Forum

Lifetime super combo...

Posted By: thefish

Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 12:46 AM

@ $1800 what is the ROI for a kid turning 17? Any projections of what license fees will be in 20yrs? 30yrs 40yrs?
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 12:56 AM

As long as his job doesn’t take him away from god’s country, it will probably pay for itself in 15 years taking into account that license fees will go up. I got mine when I was in my early 30s when I think it was $1000.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 12:59 AM

I think it’s a good idea for someone that young. Some will say put it in a mutual fund and it would likely do better. Problem is, most won’t actually put it in the fund. smile
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 01:05 AM

It is still vaild even if you move out of state, good idea when you compare the price of a non resident license each year.
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 03:20 AM

Got mine about 15 years ago for $1000. Already paid for itself. $1800 now and no telling how high it will go. I think it’ll be a great investment
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 12:51 PM

That young, I'd pull the trigger on it now.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 01:02 PM

I haven't bought a license in years, but isn't the Super Combo $68/year? If so, ROI = 27 years. However, I think we'd all agree the license cost will go up before they go down which will shorten the ROI.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Wytex
It is still vaild even if you move out of state, good idea when you compare the price of a non resident license each year.

agree ... I worked with a guy that was one of the chief engineers for LMCO that traveled to multiple states with work over the years, he had life time license in 6 or 7 different states.

at my age, doesn't make sense as I would never recoup the price unless the yearly license drastically increased in the next ~7 years when I should hit exempt
Posted By: rickym

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 01:38 PM

At that age it’s definitely worth it. I wish I had the money when I was 18, now at almost 30 I’m not so sure.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
I haven't bought a license in years, but isn't the Super Combo $68/year? If so, ROI = 27 years. However, I think we'd all agree the license cost will go up before they go down which will shorten the ROI.

^^ This. I bought myself and my son (who was about 7 or 8) the life time combo about 4 or 5 years ago. It was $1000 then. It would pay for itself in 14 years for both of us with the $68 fees. But if they go up, which they always do, it would only decrease the years for ROI. I highly recommend doing it, even at $1800.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/09/18 07:40 PM

A couple factors that need to be remembered. If you go buy a Super Combo for $68.00 you get the combo license and SOME of the more popular State tags to the license, not all the State tags. A Lifetime Combo is the license and ALL of the additional State tags each year. So the real RoI is $1800.00 divided the present cost of a combo license and ALL of the State tags each year.
Of course how much license costs will go up in the future is a Q factor.

I bought my Lifetime Combo for $500.00 in August 1991, they went to $1000.00 on Sept 1 that year. At the time it was just the license, you still had to pay for tags. I think I remember that the RoI was 25 years. But then I think it was around '96 that they started to include all the State tags and that dropped the RoI down to like 12 or 15 years.

Either way I'm well past my turn around point. I have a couple friends that became Granddads in the past 18 months and I keep telling them they need to drop the hammer right now.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunt Dog
A couple factors that need to be remembered. If you go buy a Super Combo for $68.00 you get the combo license and SOME of the more popular State tags to the license, not all the State tags. A Lifetime Combo is the license and ALL of the additional State tags each year. So the real RoI is $1800.00 divided the present cost of a combo license and ALL of the State tags each year.
Of course how much license costs will go up in the future is a Q factor.

I bought my Lifetime Combo for $500.00 in August 1991, they went to $1000.00 on Sept 1 that year. At the time it was just the license, you still had to pay for tags. I think I remember that the RoI was 25 years. But then I think it was around '96 that they started to include all the State tags and that dropped the RoI down to like 12 or 15 years.

Either way I'm well past my turn around point. I have a couple friends that became Granddads in the past 18 months and I keep telling them they need to drop the hammer right now.

I too bought mine the last year of 500.00 and now I feel like I get a payback every year. Yes it is worth the money so YES DO IT.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 06:41 AM

Haven’t thought about it, but mine is officially free as of last year. This year will be free license. I bought mine at 18 for $1000, I’m now 33 and it took 14 years for it to paybfor itself. Wahoo, free license from here on out.

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 01:16 PM

A couple factors that need to be remembered. If you go buy a Super Combo for $68.00 you get the combo license and SOME of the more popular State tags to the license, not all the State tags.

Not true. Super Combo includes all 5 state stamps. The only thing not included in a Super Combo is your Federal Waterfowl Stamp which is also not include in any Lifetime License from any state.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/combination-hunting-fishing

Quote:
Super Combo Hunting and All-Water Fishing Package

For residents who hunt and fish fresh water and/or salt water, the “Super Combo” package can save purchasers up to $18. It includes the following at a discount price:

- a Resident Hunting License,
- a Resident Fishing License
- and all 5 state stamp endorsements (archery, freshwater fishing, saltwater fishing with a red drum tag, upland game bird and migratory game bird).
- The Federal Waterfowl Stamp is not included.

“Super Combo” License Package (Type 111):
$68
Senior “Super Combo” License Package (Type 117):
$32 (for age 65 and over)

I too bought the lifetime when it was $1000. The biggest factor for me was you are grandfathered in if you move out of state. So, if he ever moves out of state it will more than pay for itself. I grew up in MS. When I turned 15 my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I asked for a lifetime license. At the time it was $250. My mom threw a fit and wouldn't do it. A yearly out of state MS license costs me more than that. I would have been grandfathered in. I remind her yearly about that mistake when she asks my why I don't go hunting when I visit on the holidays. roflmao
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 01:46 PM

A couple factors that need to be remembered. If you go buy a Super Combo for $68.00 you get the combo license and SOME of the more popular State tags to the license, not all the State tags.

Not true. Super Combo includes all 5 state stamps. The only thing not included in a Super Combo is your Federal Waterfowl Stamp which is also not include in any Lifetime License from any state.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/combination-hunting-fishing

Quote:

For residents who hunt and fish fresh water and/or salt water, the “Super Combo” package can save purchasers up to $18. It includes the following at a discount price:

- and all 5 state stamp endorsements (archery, freshwater fishing, saltwater fishing with a red drum tag, upland game bird and migratory game bird).

$68

I too bought the lifetime when it was $1000. The biggest factor for me was you are grandfathered in if you move out of state. So, if he ever moves out of state it will more than pay for itself. I grew up in MS. When I turned 15 my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I asked for a lifetime license. At the time it was $250. My mom threw a fit and wouldn't do it. A yearly out of state MS license costs me more than that. I would have been grandfathered in. I remind her yearly about that mistake when she asks my why I don't go hunting when I visit on the holidays. roflmao

My goodness, it sounds like someone is still throwing a little tantrum because they did not get what they wanted for their 15th birthday. lol
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.

Quote:

$68

My goodness, it sounds like someone is still throwing a little tantrum because they did not get what they wanted for their 15th birthday. lol

Heck I'd do the same thing because my mother would do the same to me.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 01:53 PM

I bought mine when it was still $500. My thinking was that I wasn't going anywhere. Two years later, I took a job that moved me first to Missouri then to Indiana. Coming back to Texas as a non-resident then would have required me to purchase a $250 out of state license. Two years in Missouri covered my costs.
I've been hunting 'for free' ever since.

It's a good deal, grab it if you can. It's not just the costs of licenses going up but at 17 years of age, does he really know he'll never leave the state for work or whatever? He can bring the grandkids back to visit and go hunting with Dad for nothing.

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 02:16 PM

up All in good fun. I like rubbing salt in the wound.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 02:41 PM

Quote:

$68

Did she throw out your baseball cards too??

IMO, $1,800 is still a good deal for someone fairly young. With CD rates around 1%, you could safely earn $20 on the $1,800. Might as well start earning $68 a year with the high probability of much higher earning in the future.

JR

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: jrgocards

Did she throw out your baseball cards too??

Nope. Got those. Still have the sweet Bo Jackson in the football pads with the bat over the shoulder. HOWEVER, I can't find my old gloove. I'll bring that up next visit! rofl
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 03:03 PM

up All in good fun. I like rubbing salt in the wound.

I feel your pain.

I could of got a life time okla Lic for 250. Now I spend up to $1000 a year on tags there.

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I feel your pain.

I could of got a life time okla Lic for 250. Now I spend up to $1000 a year on tags there.

I was lucky or smart enough to jump on their out of state lifetime license when they offered that before they got smart and stopped. I think I paid $750 for it. Has more than paid for itself. MS has a deal where if you can show proof you were born in MS they will let you buy a native MS lifetime license even if you live out of state. It's $1800. I should have probably done it, but it was the principle of the matter at that point.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 05:01 PM

If a super combo is $68, and the Lifetime License is $1800, doesnt that mean it's not paid for for another 26 years? While it's true the Super Combo should go up in price, i'd think $1800 in today's pocket will also mean more than what $1800 in your pocket in 26 years would be too. It's a pretty long term play to buy something now that'll give you a return in 26 years. Of course, the money goes to conservation and the Texas Wildlife Dept. so it's not like its wasted money, but still...
Posted By: trigger time

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 05:35 PM

I got mine and my sons for 1000 each, right before they went to 1800. It was our Christmas presents, he wasn't very happy about it at the time, but he's since seen the logic and appreciates it.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: trigger time
I got mine and my sons for 1000 each, right before they went to 1800. It was our Christmas presents, he wasn't very happy about it at the time, but he's since seen the logic and appreciates it.
I was thinking about that for my son too. The little brat will have no idea how cool this gift is until he's at least 20 and buying his own license
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/10/18 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: JB1316
If a super combo is $68, and the Lifetime License is $1800, doesnt that mean it's not paid for for another 26 years? While it's true the Super Combo should go up in price, i'd think $1800 in today's pocket will also mean more than what $1800 in your pocket in 26 years would be too. It's a pretty long term play to buy something now that'll give you a return in 26 years. Of course, the money goes to conservation and the Texas Wildlife Dept. so it's not like its wasted money, but still...

Payout is 26 years - it was 20 years when I bought mine for $500, but the license is saving you money every year. Without an increase in the annual license $68/$1800 = you're earning 3.78% guaranteed.and tax free. Not many places where you can do that now. To earn more than that, you will have to enter risk into the equation.

Even my wife thinks it was one of the best investments we've made.

JR
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/16/18 01:03 AM

I bought mine in 2015 at $1600. I am 60. I just considered it a donation. I was tired of the annual chase.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/16/18 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: jrgocards

Payout is 26 years - it was 20 years when I bought mine for $500, but the license is saving you money every year. Without an increase in the annual license $68/$1800 = you're earning 3.78% guaranteed.and tax free. Not many places where you can do that now. To earn more than that, you will have to enter risk into the equation.

Even my wife thinks it was one of the best investments we've made.

JR

You’re not earning anything simply by recouping the $1800 principle outlay. No earnings take place until that is recouped.
Posted By: jimmy nagami

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/17/18 07:02 PM

this thread should be good
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Lifetime super combo... - 05/18/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: trigger time
I was thinking about that for my son too. The little brat will have no idea how cool this gift is until he's at least 20 and buying his own license

But if you get it now he won't be buying his own license. And I bet he will figure it out pretty quick if his friends hunt as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum