Texas Hunting Forum

Gobble,gobble

Posted By: mow

Gobble,gobble - 03/28/18 05:54 PM

Who's going turkey hunting?..I'm thinking about it..seen a buttload last weekend while filling feeders..more than I saw deer season
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/28/18 06:36 PM

I can't make it I still have a bunch of nails to straighten.....
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/28/18 06:43 PM

Will go out at least once for sure. You guys shotgun or bow hunt?

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/28/18 11:16 PM

ar10
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/29/18 02:12 AM

Toms were very active at our place this weekend. Big groups were showing off for the ladies. The girls didnt seem interested quite yet. Won’t be able to go this weekend. (Anniversary), but the following weekend if weather cooperates.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/29/18 04:31 AM

Will head out after Easter egg hunting. Did youth last weekend and only had one tom around. Of course he strutted for us 60 yards out all morning! He didn't like the dekes I guess. I should have let my boy pop him under the feeder since we called him in for almost an hour but thought he would come closer and out of the pen. Don't like shooting them there but this is the only open area on that part of the lease. Did same thing in afternoon and never got closer than 50 yards when hens came in. Jake gave us a little show. I will not put dekes out this time and hunt another spot.
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/29/18 05:52 PM

Heading out today!

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/29/18 07:42 PM

All this rain should help..
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/29/18 07:48 PM

Is it wrong to pop him with a rifle?
Posted By: GLC

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/29/18 09:31 PM

Our season starts April 15, shotgun only.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/29/18 09:58 PM

I can't make it until the 21st at the earliest and will take the bow as well as the shotgun.

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/30/18 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Yes, very wrong... Shoot them in the fall with a rifle if you need tasty wild turkey meat. cheers

Illegal in east Texas.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/30/18 09:21 PM

Be hunting them with my Hawken muzzle loader in the morning.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/30/18 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman

Yes, very wrong... Shoot them in the fall with a rifle if you need tasty wild turkey meat. cheers

Illegal in east Texas.

Plus it's much more fun calling them in.

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/31/18 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Be hunting them with my Hawken muzzle loader in the morning.

That would be cool! Good luck!
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/31/18 04:57 AM

Son, DIL and grandkids in from Kansas this weekend. Off next Friday for a long weekend to see if they'll talk. Good luck to all.

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/31/18 01:17 PM

Illegal in east Texas.

i pop them in the head..with my ar10 never had wasted meat..breast really is all i eat..its more of a challenge than using a shotgun..but ive used a shotgun many times..just dont have one at the moment

Re: Gobble,gobble - 03/31/18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Illegal in east Texas.

thats true..thats the way i hunt..although i did cheat..using a bluetooth speaker and a turkey hunting app from my phone..but not as fun using a slate call..thats thrill calling one in with a slate call..never mastered the skill of a mouth call
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Gobble,gobble - 04/03/18 01:17 PM

Had two come in last Saturday at 50 yards.
I was hunting with my Hawken and I tried to wait for them to get a little closer because of my weak eyesight and open sights.....Didn't happen!
It was fun though, and the gobble gobble won that round!
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Gobble,gobble - 04/03/18 02:58 PM

Heading up to my place in dickens for a week around the 15th. Shoot them during deer season but have not had much luck in spring calling. Not roosting on my place and hard as hell to get them in although I've called them in when I lived back east. Maybe this year will be better!!!!
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Gobble,gobble - 04/03/18 03:39 PM

I'm going to head out to our place in llano the weekend of the 14th. Trying to teach the wife to call, so I can shoot this year. We are kinda cheating using a bluetooth speaker and phone app. Just make sure you turn the ring tones down, LOL. Ask me how I know. I'll also have a slate and box with me in case I feel like I need to add more depth to the calling to get the tom to walk up the hill.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Gobble,gobble - 04/06/18 02:20 AM

Illegal in east Texas.

You can still call them in and then shoot them with a rifle. So why is it wrong? Seems a little more sporting to shoot one with a .17 than a shotgun...how many pellets are in a shotgun shell? Vs one .17 cal round? Just saying.

Re: Gobble,gobble - 04/06/18 02:21 PM

Most states it is illegal to shoot turkeys in the spring with anything but a shotgun. I can't find another state where a rifle is legal for turkeys. Wonder why. Do what you want if it is legal and safe though.

Re: Gobble,gobble - 04/08/18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: mow

Illegal in east Texas.

thats true..thats the way i hunt..although i did cheat..using a bluetooth speaker and a turkey hunting app from my phone..but not as fun using a slate call..thats thrill calling one in with a slate call..never mastered the skill of a mouth call

just got home from the lease..used my bluetooth again with an app i bought from the playstore ..hunted with a fellow leasee..i called a nicetom..prob 9' beard..he shot and he shot...missed him at 40 yards where he hung up..called up a young jake..but didnt want to shoot him..all in all its the first time he had somebody call in with a bluetooth speaker..came through..gave him a chance at a shot..but unfortunately he missed..had fun though

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum