Texas Hunting Forum

Question on setting up a blind

Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Question on setting up a blind - 03/17/18 11:58 PM

I have a 4x6 wood blind I am going to be setting up soon
My question is, has anyone ever used pallets to put your blind on?
I don't want it sitting directly on the ground and thought a couple of pallets might work, plus they can be found free all the time
Opinions?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/18/18 12:39 AM

Nothing wrong with that. The ultimate type would be the black plastic ones. After that, the oak ones, after that the spruce type. Wooden plets, I would paint with my usual red/brown metal primer, I put on everything.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/18/18 06:09 AM

Our ground blinds sit on 8x8x16 cinder blocks. Ours are 4x4 blinds, with a cinder block at each corner, one in the middle of each of those and another dead center on the middle of the floor. 9 blocks. New they are less than $2 each, ours were used, and bought umpteen years ago. Watch Craigslist, they come up every so often, even here in Abilene.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/18/18 07:25 AM

We always just set the legs on the flat concrete squares or cinder blocks. Me personally I would stay away from the pallets, lots of places snakes and critters could be hiding. I like underneath my blind to be nice and clean and grass low as possible so I can see if anything is around.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/18/18 09:26 AM

makes a great place for those rattle bugs
Posted By: Stub

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/18/18 12:49 PM

If the ground is flat, maybe those big rubber mats or artificial turf?
Posted By: spg

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/19/18 02:26 AM

Run some 2x6 treated leaving a 3.5'' gap between each other the length or width of the blind then, stick a 4x4 in the gap for a leg and lag bolt it. You can cut the 4x4 to what ever length you want. I'd go at least 2' so you can spray/weedeater under it and shoot underneath in case something decides to take refuge without shooting the floor or lower wall.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/20/18 03:18 AM

Snakes.
Posted By: Oldpaint

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/20/18 03:39 AM

Buy one Pressure treated 8’ 4”x4” post. 8 pressure treated 2”x4”s and a box of screws. Cut the posts down to 2’ each. Frame the posts and add some joists with other 2x4s. Leave about 1-2” below the outside frame and place joists.. You can move both separately and there is no space for snakes. The cinder blocks are good but blind can slide on top.
Posted By: Oldpaint

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/20/18 03:41 AM

2”x6” are better for frame.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/25/18 09:40 PM

Pavers and shingles to level. Pallets will never stay level, if at all, and will harbor vermin. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Question on setting up a blind - 03/26/18 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: spg
Run some 2x6 treated leaving a 3.5'' gap between each other the length or width of the blind then, stick a 4x4 in the gap for a leg and lag bolt it. You can cut the 4x4 to what ever length you want. I'd go at least 2' so you can spray/weedeater under it and shoot underneath in case something decides to take refuge without shooting the floor or lower wall.
This is exactly what we do, except we go 4 feet up and cross brace. Of course that requires stairs as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum