Texas Hunting Forum

"Trophy" Documentary on Netflix

Posted By: crozierk

"Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 07:25 PM

Hey Y'all. Just wondering who all had watched the documentary on Netflix called "Trophy." Sort of an interesting watch. I definitely learned a couple things I didn't know about some of the Africa Hunting.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 07:30 PM

Nope, is it another one of those Lib propaganda BS documentaries?

If not, think I'll check it out..

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 07:40 PM

I mean for the most part it was like a 50/50 split. I think CNN did it but I didn't get an OVERWHELMING sense of anti hunting. They talked to a couple hunters, couple outfitters, a guy who was raising rhino on a ranch, and a couple anti hunters. There wasnt any narration, it was just talks and discussions with all these people. They videoed a couple hunts, definitely an interesting perspective. They also talked to some more free chase management minded outfitters and some almost caged hunt outfitters as well.

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 07:40 PM

But it wasn't a soap box of anti hunting.
Posted By: therancher

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 08:29 PM

every hunter should watch it. It's about as unbiased as anything one could expect from a liberal org. They actually interviewed and highlighted a former EWA president.

It does show the ugly underbelly but it also shows the positives of hunting.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
every hunter should watch it. It's about as unbiased as anything one could expect from a liberal org. They actually interviewed and highlighted a former EWA president.

It does show the ugly underbelly but it also shows the positives of hunting.

Agreed, I thought it was worth the watch.
Posted By: KingHunter17

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 09:06 PM

Interesting watch for sure.
Posted By: BMD

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 09:38 PM

Watching it now. Hasn’t been too liberal so far
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 10:28 PM

just turned it on....we will see

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 10:30 PM

Not horrible

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/14/18 11:36 PM

I liked how they showed the facts about the rhino horn ban causing almost all of the poaching issues.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/15/18 02:40 AM

I didn't think it was biased. Very interesting and worth the watch.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/15/18 02:42 AM

On another note, does anyone else have a problem with this brainwashed POS claiming to be a vegan? I don't think there's enough broccoli in the world to maintain that physique.

Posted By: bear64

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/15/18 03:19 AM

that is EXACTLY what my wife said! i think her question went something like "Does she know a bucket of fried chicken is neither fruit OR vegetable???
I was stunned at her remark actually she never says anything bad about anybody, but she was horribly offended that someone would judge us for the way we live and what we choose to eat
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/15/18 04:13 AM

They did a much better job of showing both sides than I expected

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/15/18 05:04 AM

Overall definitely worth the time.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/15/18 06:50 AM

That sweat hog could be a vegan and still fat. Vegan diets can make you fat no problem at all.

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/15/18 07:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
On another note, does anyone else have a problem with this brainwashed POS claiming to be a vegan? I don't think there's enough broccoli in the world to maintain that physique.

back ones just as big as the front ones. gotta love that...

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/15/18 03:36 PM

The only thing that kind of bummed me out was the African Outfitter that was pulling crocs out of an enclosure for a hunt I guess. Like, I wouldn't be near as happy taking a crocodile if I knew it had been pulled out of a swimming pool a day ago. To me the life it must've lived is part of the trophy.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/15/18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
That sweat hog could be a vegan and still fat. Vegan diets can make you fat no problem at all.

Absolutely. An all brisket diet is much healthier than an all twinkie diet. Frankly, it's probably healthier than any diet loaded up with packaged foods and sugar.

Guess what, fellas. We are omnivores so supposed to eat some meat.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/15/18 08:41 PM

Maybe it was her first day...................
Posted By: NDN98

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/19/18 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: bear64
that is EXACTLY what my wife said! i think her question went something like "Does she know a bucket of fried chicken is neither fruit OR vegetable???
I was stunned at her remark actually she never says anything bad about anybody, but she was horribly offended that someone would judge us for the way we live and what we choose to eat

LOL, my wife and I were laughing about her too. My wife said, "uh lady, you know chocolate cake has milk and eggs, right?"
Posted By: NDN98

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/19/18 01:53 PM

Overall, I thought it was a pretty balanced portrayal and showed how hunting dollars are helping save these animals. Without hunting dollars, the local population would wipe out the native wildlife to protect their farms and livestock.
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/19/18 05:43 PM

Crazy how the Rhino guy was gambling on the rhino tucks. Has 60+mil in inventory. You would think the "poachers" would find his stash house and raid it.

Interesting show for sure. Not sure I agree with the DB that shot the gator in the stock pond. All types, I guess.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/19/18 05:47 PM

That guy that shot the croc in the pond came off as a multi generational trust fund kid.

I also thought it was pretty interesting the council for the ban on ivory trade tried to claim, the ban wasn't the main reason for the rise on rhino poaching.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/19/18 05:49 PM

Worth watching.
Posted By: soonerdg

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/19/18 07:50 PM

I heard a podcast a couple of months back (maybe April Vokey's podcast I can't remember) with the two folks who made the film. They were hard core anti-hunter and their full intension was to expose hunting as an evil endeavor. However, through the process of making the film they came to realize what hunting is really about and that it can be a huge conservation tool. Especially in Africa. They both had a significant change of mind on how they viewed hunting and that's evident in what the film turned out to be.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/19/18 09:13 PM

Thought it was a well balanced film. Was surprised at the opening scene I didn’t think they would have shown actual kills.

The guy who shot the crocodile was a grade A doucher.

I would be embarrassed to be in his company, tough talking a swimming pool raised croc he shot in a stock tank

I def. didn’t see it as anti-hunting though
Posted By: jskin

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/20/18 12:19 AM

Sheep farmer must make a killing!
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/20/18 05:45 AM

Watching it now

Seeing those crocs made my heart break, especially after visiting Brazos Bend SP yesterday and seeing their American cousins lazily entertaining human annoyance, but free and wild nonetheless.

Interesting concept with the rhino ivory farming.

I like CNN documentaries. I've only seen one other, which is Blackfish and for Comp II, but it was well done. Don't think I'll ever go to SeaWorld again, but still lol.

Just got to the canned croc part I AM SEETHING. I actually physically cringed. I'm not one to want to punch someone in the gut, but this guy would definitely get it.
Posted By: Stub

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/21/18 10:03 PM

Just watched it, interesting.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: "Trophy" Documentary on Netflix - 02/22/18 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz

LOL......
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum