Texas Hunting Forum

Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts

Posted By: Stompy

Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 04:25 PM

Does an out of state hunter need a license to hunt hogs here in Texas? I always thought they did but looking at TPWD site it looks like maybe not.

Update:
Talked to GW and got everything firured out. Like a couple of you said, if their pay hunting and or keeping the meat, they need a hunting license. They can also buy a 5 day license again.
Thanks Guys
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 04:39 PM

Looks like it depends upon what a game warden thinks the definition of 'depredating' is. The local game warden can read this any way they can. If the land owner is actively trying to reduce the population, you might get away with it. Probably safer to just fork out the $48 for a 5 day hunting license.

Non-resident 5-Day Special Hunting

Type 157:
$48

Legal for any period of 5 consecutive days (valid hunting dates will be printed on the license when issued). Valid to hunt:

exotic animals,
all legal game birds (except turkeys),
all nongame animals, squirrel, javelina and alligator (not valid for other game animals, NOT VALID FOR DEER).

Endorsement requirements apply.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 04:41 PM

Yes if you are paying for a hunt. Depredating hogs can be taken without license by landowners or their agents.
If it's a paid hunt get a 5 day for $48, if it's a friend hunting your property without a fee then maybe not. I would call the GW for the area.

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 04:45 PM

Yea, it's why I'm asking, got a text into my GW now. Seems to be somewhat of a gray area, looked on the TPWD site and just doesn't seem to define it clearly, or I'm just not understanding clearly.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Bbear
Looks like it depends upon what a game warden thinks the definition of 'depredating' is. The local game warden can read this any way they can. Probably safer to just fork out the $48 for a 5 day hunting license.

Type 157:
$48

Legal for any period of 5 consecutive days (valid hunting dates will be printed on the license when issued). Valid to hunt:

exotic animals,
all nongame animals, squirrel, javelina and alligator (not valid for other game animals, NOT VALID FOR DEER).

I am by no means an expert, but was told by our GW that if someone is paying to hunt them, it is not depredation, it is hunting. Also, if they plan on keeping part of the animal for parts or eating, it is hunting. Both of which would require a license.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: Bbear
Looks like it depends upon what a game warden thinks the definition of 'depredating' is. The local game warden can read this any way they can. Probably safer to just fork out the $48 for a 5 day hunting license.

Type 157:
$48

exotic animals,

I am by no means an expert, but was told by our GW that if someone is paying to hunt them, it is not depredation, it is hunting. Also, if they plan on keeping part of the animal for parts or eating, it is hunting. Both of which would require a license.

Word for word what my game warden told me.

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 06:00 PM

Second question...Can an out of state hunter buy a 5 day license for one trip then return a month later and buy another 5 day license. In other words, make 2 trips to hunt hogs here and buy two 5 day license?
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 06:00 PM

It is clear. If you are hunting you need a license.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
Second question...Can an out of state hunter buy a 5 day license for one trip then return a month later and buy another 5 day license. In other words, make 2 trips to hunt hogs here and buy two 5 day license?

Yes.

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
It is clear. If you are hunting you need a license.

No, if you're hunting for depredation you don't. But in the question I asked, you do.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 06:04 PM

I would say yes, the days that the license is valid is printed on the license. But from some of the other incorrect answers, I wouldn't take my word for it. clap
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 06:06 PM

The way I read it if you are hunting over bait
You need a license

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 06:23 PM

Exceptions
A hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals or fowl.
Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.
Note: All laws and regulations governing hunter education requirements still apply.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 07:26 PM

IMO, giving anyone a citation for killing a feral hog in Texas equates to giving them a ticket for killing a mound of fire ants. One is just as much a useless pest as the other.

However, I have no issues with someone being required to have a license during deer season, even though they may claim to only be hunting pigs. Outside of deer season, kill as many pigs (or fire ants) as your heart desires, license free in my book.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/11/18 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

I Also, if they plan on keeping part of the animal for parts or eating, it is hunting. Both of which would require a license.
Would you please post what page in the Rules and Regulations this is stated.
Paying to hunt hogs, need a license.
Killng hogs for free, no license. And you can keep any or all the meat you want.

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/12/18 02:51 AM

http://articles.extension.org/pages/63677/texas-hunting-license-requirements-for-feral-hogs

Quote:
A hunting license is required when hunting feral hogs for trophy and/or food. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department outlines requirements in its annual hunting and fishing regulations publication, the Outdoor Annual. See the specific legal methods in this publication, but a hunting license permits use of firearms, snaring, and trapping in the fight against feral hogs.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/12/18 02:56 AM

The landowner might want to also look into this requirement.

https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2017/09/...-license-state/

Quote:
Landowners Leasing Property for Hunting Required to Obtain License from the State

With the fall comes opening day of several popular hunting seasons across the state. For Texas landowners, this often means entering into hunting lease agreements that generate added income for the operation. Under Texas law, a landowner leasing private property for hunting in return for any type of compensation is required to obtain a Hunting Lease License from Texas Parks and Wildlife (“TPW”). Note, this is separate from a hunting license that the hunter must possess.

Under TPW rules, a private landowner or the landowner’s agent may not receive any consideration from a hunter unless the landowner has obtained a Hunting Lease License from TPW. There are three types of licenses for landowners to choose from: (1) Hunting Lease License; (2) Hunting Cooperative Lease License; and (3) Wildlife Management Association Area Hunting Lease License.

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/12/18 03:10 AM

I get a lease license every year.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/12/18 03:25 AM

Exceptions
A hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals or fowl.
Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.
Note: All laws and regulations governing hunter education requirements still apply.

I say pay for the 5 day license, it is the cheapest part of the trip from out-of state.
But, by the above rule, it looks like a paying person may not need a license for depredation. A lessee would be a paying person?
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Out Of State Hunter and Pig Hunts - 02/12/18 12:46 PM

$48.00 is a pretty cheap insurance policy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum