Texas Hunting Forum

Archery Elk Hunt

Posted By: John Deer

Archery Elk Hunt - 01/26/18 09:22 PM

Considering a 2018 archery elk hunt. Any outfitter recommendations would be appreciated.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 01/28/18 03:58 PM

Does it matter what state you go to? What is your goal for an elk? Just a cow for some meat or a 300+ bull?

I've been a few times and killed my first elk, a cow, with my bow this past fall.

If you are in Texas I would strongly consider doing it yourself, save SEVERAL thousand, and have just as pleasant an experience.

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 01/29/18 12:17 AM

Prefer New Mexico. Partner has physical limitations. Looking for a bull. Not picky about # of inches in rack.
Considered doing it myself in Colorado, but have had little success in the past.
Posted By: ttechcolleyville

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 01/31/18 02:02 AM

I've hunted with Lobo Outfitters out of Pagosa Springs, CO several times. They hunt on approximately 20,000 acres of private land that borders Carson National Forest in New Mexico - maybe 40 miles south of Taos. Lots of elk. Same guides pretty much year after year so very stable and experienced. They run a limited number of archery hunts and never more than 8 hunters in camp. Most of their hunters are repeat business so they are not real big on marketing or their website. Just good, honest hard working people.

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 01/31/18 03:36 AM

Thanks for the info.. Good to get a first hand reference.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Archery Elk Hunt - 01/31/18 10:58 PM

Mike and Dick Ray at Lobo are good guys. No elk hunting with them but turkey a few years back. Great to deal with .
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum