Texas Hunting Forum

Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting

Posted By: DQ Kid

Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 01:00 PM

When I was young or even now, when a hunter pops off more than 3 shots at a time while shooting, we say "That Dude just Went All Rambo", LOL...What about you all, any funny sayings?

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 01:07 PM

Keeps the mood all lite and fun. Also, "Man, you really threw out some lead today"...It's all in jest and most I have hunted with see it just way and any that haven't have not been invited back...
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 02:01 PM

When we were hunting elk in Pecos county. Spotting them immediately got an assessment. One of two choices were stated.

"Oh they're not handy."

or

"They're handy."

Meaning how difficult it was going to be getting an elk off of the side, or out of a canyon.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 02:19 PM

DANG IT!! (used generally after squeezing the trigger)
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 02:22 PM

Here's one my brother & I heard many times from our dad. It was hard to tell if he was serious or kidding at first, but we still say it in jest & to remind ourselves of him. When it's the coldest nasties weather or conditions possible he'd say:

"A man could hunt all day on a day like this."
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 03:48 PM

The buzzards never lose one.

The more you walk, the more you see.

They don't get old being stupid.

God don't like ugly.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 03:53 PM

My dad always used to say his words after we were wore down, sore, frustrated, cold/hot discouraged...wonder what the poor folks are doing right now? I always yelled back...making piss poor clichés!
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 03:55 PM

My dad's mantra when it came to hunting..."Expect the unexpected!"
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 04:10 PM

Thats why it's called hunting, not killing.

Spray & pray may be a useful technique in certain instances, but no where in hunting. You gotta aim, not just fart or throw crap in their general direction.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 04:13 PM

Any time you get skunked my Dad would say, "That's why they call it hunting, not killing" or "That's why they call it Fishing, not catching"...depending on the activity you were skunked at.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 04:40 PM

My wife always says when we are tried, cold, wet, stumbling around in the dark falling down in the mud, "We having fun yet?"
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 04:51 PM

BRASS

Breathe

Relax

Aim

Sight Picture

Squeeze

You’ll start shooting big deer, when you quit shooting little deer.

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 04:57 PM

When my boy is getting restless in the stand I always say "Just takes a few seconds to change the day."

He told me a few weeks ago, you always say that and I keep waiting for those seconds. Lol.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 05:29 PM

"cedar football" when two people stay out longer than a task should take.

Person 1: "Donny and Albert have been out checking feeders for 2 hours, wonder what's taking so long."

Person 2: " Prolly got down there and decided to play a little cedar football."

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 06:45 PM

Something to say when someone has gone somewhere you have no need to know...

"He went to see someone about a dog."

"He had to go tune a piano."

After completing a task that was feared to be difficult...

"Like pulling a greasy (censored) out of a bucket of lard."

Something I saw written on a small wall sign once at a craft fair...

"Deer tremble at the sound of my name."

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 07:03 PM

One that evolved for us out of pretty innocuous circumstances:

Back in 1989 during one of the colder arctic fronts to ever blow down to South Texas, my Dad asked a friend of mine at about 2:00 AM in about 8 degrees, at the lease's little cinder block house, with only an old fireplace for warmth:

"Curtis, why don't you put another log on the fire" to which Curtis responded back to my Dad, "Hell Jerry, why don't you put another log on the fire".

To this day, when it gets cold one of our favorite lines is "Why don't you put another log on the fire"..
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 08:58 PM

In reference to the guy in camp who never does any work, but is always, around, not really doing anything but appears involved, but only gets in the way of the real work getting done:

He's a Sack o' balls

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
One that evolved for us out of pretty innocuous circumstances:

Back in 1989 during one of the colder arctic fronts to ever blow down to South Texas, my Dad asked a friend of mine at about 2:00 AM in about 8 degrees, at the lease's little cinder block house, with only an old fireplace for warmth:

"Curtis, why don't you put another log on the fire" to which Curtis responded back to my Dad, "Hell Jerry, why don't you put another log on the fire".

To this day, when it gets cold one of our favorite lines is "Why don't you put another log on the fire"..

Special events, including the exact spot where they happened, can become points of reference for future use. For example, I remember the time when a member whipped his dog almost mercilessly after it bayed an armadillo into a hole. There were many times after that when someone would say, "Do you remember where Ole Blue got his [censored] whipped?" The spot where someone missed a huge buck can also become a point for future reference.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/22/18 09:49 PM

Whether hunting or anything else my go to is:

"There it is if you like it, there it is if you don't".

Good for many situations.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 01:09 AM

“If I could buy him for what he’s worth and sell him for what he thinks he’s worth, I’d be a rich man.”

For the guy that’s too good to work.
Posted By: pdugas

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 01:33 AM

Excuse used for not getting up early to go hunting ....... “ I ain’t as mad at um as I used to be “

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 01:41 AM

Pop used to throw the oldie, "If you hoot with owls, must soar with eagles" on early morning wakeups following some late night escapades.
Posted By: TexOddball

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 02:28 AM

“Yeah, horns are cool, but ya cain’t eat ‘em!”

My Dad, after telling him I had passed up a four-point buck in hopes he would be bigger next year. In his defense, he had just been laid off, and had a wife and three teenagers to feed.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 04:34 AM

After scouting a likely new lease or checking game trails on your own lease.."You can't fry nuthin' but tracks" commenting on not seeing any critters themselves...or the value of the lease/hunting area being evaluated.

Grandad's Indian guide on one of his last carabou hunts in Alaska and the shooting skills needed for bringing anything into camp..."One Shot Meat! 2 shots uh mebbe Meat...3 shots NO MEAT." as the explanation of how much time you had to score a hit before they all disappeared over a ridge.

That saying became the question with some of my lease partner's coming in from the blinds..."You Make Meat?" and the answer said everything you needed to know about the guys day in the field .
Ron
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 12:57 PM

That's slicker than a greased owls azz

Excuses are like azzholes - we all have um

If I'm hearing one person doing allot of shooting I always think or say - Their getting a better buy on bullets then I am.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Pop used to throw the oldie, "If you hoot with owls, must soar with eagles" on early morning wakeups following some late night escapades.

My grandpa use to say "Just because you hang out with the owls, doesn't mean you can't get up with the roosters."
Posted By: TBirdFF4

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 04:09 PM

After dinner around the fire, a friend's lease member would always say "I'm gonna go get some bread", and he'd fall asleep in the camper. So now whenever someone turns in early, they "went to get bread".

Another lease member and his wife would always sneak off during the day for some alone time. Upon returning, they claimed they were checking the pig traps. Now when anyone is gone for a while and comes back to camp, they say they were checking the traps.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 05:21 PM

Anytime we were having fun hunting or fishing my dad used to say “I ain’t had so much fun since the hogs ate my little brother”.

Still one of my favorites.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Anytime we were having fun hunting or fishing my dad used to say “I ain’t had so much fun since the hogs ate my little brother”.

Still one of my favorites.

roflmao
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 05:29 PM

"How old do you think he is? As old as he's gonnna get".
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 06:06 PM

"Never monkey with another man's monkey".

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 09:09 PM

That's in same ballpark as one I heard that's said after demonstrating strength of knowledge in a given area...

"My momma drowned all the dumb babies."
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 09:15 PM

My brother in law says, “I’ve got to $hit like a pet coon”!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhunter65
My brother in law says, “I’ve got to $hit like a pet coon”!

if you were ever around a pet coon you would understand that saying ... LOL
Posted By: Stub

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/23/18 10:57 PM

Lot of good ones up
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/24/18 02:27 AM

If you set up a video of our deer camp I dont think a stranger would understand 1/2 of what me and my buddies are talking about. We have a language of our own. Drives our wives crazy when they come to camp.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/24/18 03:43 AM

If I come back and someone asks how I did, if I’ve been skunked, I always say “I left a few for ya”
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/24/18 05:19 PM

I always tell my kids to listen for rifle shots in the distance. The Indians had an old saying when it came to gunfire:
" One shot, one deer"
"Two shots, maybe one deer"
"Three shots, no deer"

They always got a kick out of that.

When my brother and I were kids, we would bow hunt out at Camp Bullis with my dad, who was the Commander. He would always ask us before we left the house, Do you have your license? Do you have your permit? It was very funny and we still repeat to each other no matter where we are hunting at.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/24/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

That's in same ballpark as one I heard that's said after demonstrating strength of knowledge in a given area...

"My momma drowned all the dumb babies."

I like that one.

Reminds me of one that I made up and used for years.

"My mom raised one fool, but he lives in Pasadena", obviously, my brother lived there.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/24/18 05:50 PM

When it was time to get up, my Dad's saying was:
"Un-a$$ that bed"

When he'd miss a dove:
"I shot his brains out. He just doesn't know he's dead yet."

When it was time to leave:
"Let's pi$$ on the fire and call the dogs."
Which prompted one of my more gullible friends to promptly stand up and whiz in the fire then tell Dad "We don't have any dogs here" crazy
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/24/18 09:48 PM

Growing up in the country, we always said,”city folks that think they’re country make us laugh”.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/24/18 10:32 PM

Didn't see dam $hit. Clearly self explanatory.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/27/18 10:05 PM

If someone missed a shot my dad would comment he couldn't hit bull in the ARss with a base fiddle or he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/28/18 03:20 AM

If you want to shoot a buck then don't shoot a doe If you want to shoot a big buck than don't shoot a little one
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/28/18 09:36 PM

Anyone say "if it is brown, it is down" yet? Or "if it flies, it dies"
We like to kid the AR hunters at the lease next door that can't hit jack squat. When we hear BANG... BANG, BANG, BANG. We just say "they are practicing there follow up shots."
Posted By: majekman

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/29/18 04:34 AM

All I saw was what the cow left in the pasture...
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/29/18 11:15 PM

In High School carrying the shotgun to the truck during dove season after chores Dad would holler out, "Leave two to reproduce!" Once when sighting in deer rifles a friend just couldn't even get on paper. Dad took the rifle, handed it to me, and said "You shoot it." Not gonna say I drilled the 10 ring but it was a good shot. Dad took the rifle from me and handed it back to him saying, "It ain't the arrow. It's the Indian." Whenever someone kills a smallish buck and asks, "How big do you think he is?" I say, "That's about as big as a deer that size is gonna' get." That applies to fish, as well.

Oh, we had a guy in camp for years we called "lightening." A guest once asked if he was really that fast? We said, "Nope, but he never hits the same place twice."
Posted By: Railhead

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/30/18 01:19 AM

Dad- "East Texas 3 Count." Deer! buck! boom!

Grandfather- "can't eat them horns" and "if you kill the does, won't be no bucks"
Posted By: kry226

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/30/18 04:43 AM

Don't climb a dead tree.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/30/18 11:56 AM

It's deader than dirt.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/30/18 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
Don't climb a dead tree.

Don't saddle a dead horse.
Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/30/18 09:03 PM

My daughter 10 called me one day around noon I was in the tree I answered whispering. She wanted to know where something was. She said why are you whispering and I said because I'm hunting. She said Well KILL SOMETHING!
So now the new saying is KILL SOMETHING!
Posted By: AbeLinkkin

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/30/18 10:18 PM

This season was the first time I've heard toilet paper referred to as "$hit Tickets." That one gave me a chuckle.
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/30/18 10:55 PM

When asked what type of deer my Uncle was looking for, he always responded, "Buck, Doe, Methodist or Morphrodite"....

It wasn't until I was much older when this finally "clicked"....
Posted By: kry226

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/31/18 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Originally Posted By: kry226
Don't climb a dead tree.

Don't saddle a dead horse.

Touche'.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/31/18 11:43 AM

Used to go with Mr. McKoy, an old Ag teacher, headed out to use nature's facilities - "I've got a long distance phone call from Mrs. Murphy". (before cell phones).
Posted By: Jon

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 01/31/18 09:05 PM

From a little 9 yo kid who was dove hunting with us on his dad's place when his mom and dad were not home.
"That's mine gd it. I shot the chit out of that em ef er". Should have seen the action that ensued when his mom drove up to the house and could hear him hollering that all the way across the field. It was pretty special. roflmao
My brothers and I naturally picked that up and when there wasn't any wives or kids around it got repeated a few times dove hunting. LOL

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/01/18 02:02 AM

More an occasion than a saying but after my high school bud that had never hunted shot his smallish deer one foggy morning on our lease in South Texas. My Dad is instructing and helping him with the cleaning job.They start on the rear area and Dad says, "Curtis, is this your first?". Curtis says, "yes first deer, doe". My Dad says, "no, first buck, that deer has huevos son". From that point on, "that deer has huevos" was a saying for us.

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/01/18 02:07 AM

One other good South Texas one after my younger brother John laid siege to 3-4 Javelina. We asked him in camp what he shot and he said "I shot a Javelina" with much pride. From that point on John got badgerd by us with "I shot a Javelina, Javelina". Pretty certain he shot not many more afterwards. Lol

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/01/18 02:15 AM

An early one from Dad, "better to be pissed off than pissed on".
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/02/18 02:29 PM

I hunted with my dad and several of his "oldtimer" buddies most of my life. One in particular, when dropping someone off at a stand would always say, "shoot a moose" (meaning shoot a big one). I took a fairly green hunter out one time to our family place and when I dropped him off, I told him to shoot a moose. He looked at me for a second and in all seriousness, asked me if we had moose out here??

Whenever my dad would get relaxed after a long day or hunting, working or whatever, usually at the end of a hot day and after a shower, he would walk into a room and say, "I feel more like I do now than when I got here". I miss him!
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/02/18 03:11 PM

My favorite is, "You can't kill what isn't there". Another, when the hunting is slow, "We don't quit and we don't whine".
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: PMK

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/02/18 04:12 PM

my dad used to have a few sayings:

about really big deer ... old Toab (not toad), moss horns or a 17-1/2 point.

Also referred to killing very young deer asking "did you knock the spots off when the bullet hit?" or "did you wipe the milk off it's lips before gutting?"

also referred to making deer camp coffee as being so strong you could stand a spoon up in it

yep, miss him a lot!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/03/18 01:24 AM

"Anybody can shoot a great big old boar, but it takes a lot more skill to shoot the little piglets."
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/03/18 01:22 PM

When someone had to shoot a deer quite a few times to kill him we would say "He died of lead poisoning"
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/05/18 03:33 AM

Years ago, my brother and I both in a brush duck blind, cold and drizzling rain, I said " I wouldn't work in this $hitty weather for anybody ". That was repeated several times through the years ......
Posted By: Erny

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/05/18 03:44 AM

My personal favorite is

“It’s Always something”

If fits and can be used for any bad situation.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/05/18 06:52 PM

When the hunting is slow, usually while Dove hunting and not seeing many birds, can always count on my dad shouting across the field/tank "Where are all the White Women at?!"

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/06/18 04:59 AM

As I've grown older and have no desire to sit in extreme wet and/or cold...

"I don't hate them anymore."

And from my days when I ran coonhounds...

"When the tailgate drops, the bull...stops."
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Anybody Else have Sayings, Quips or Phrases while out Hunting - 02/07/18 03:33 PM

For bow hunters who talk about their slow season so far....I haven’t pulled back once

My brother and I spent some year growing up in South FL. The black folks there had a funny way of talking. We text back and forth South FL black talk... here’s an example

You seed any of dem boobalicious swamp donkeys?

Nah just dem pointy nosed white boys (young white tail bucks)

Eeewwww boyyy hera come a big ole stanky beeeotch...
I’m finna slang one at her...

I know we are crazy but always laughing about it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum