Texas Hunting Forum

Shot group question

Posted By: Inky Doc

Shot group question - 01/07/18 06:29 PM

I have a ~15 year old Savage .243 with a Vortex Viper on it. No matter who is shooting the gun the shot groups always have a much greater traverse than elevation. Vertically it's 1MOA or better but horizontally it's 2-3 MOA depending upon who is shooting. It still has the factory bbl and crappy stock that came with but I'm getting a new one this week. I've just never had a gun that shot real good on one axis and poor on the other. Any thoughts other than the stock?
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Shot group question - 01/07/18 06:37 PM

Do you have another scope to try on it?

Check the bases and rings for correct torque values.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Shot group question - 01/07/18 06:50 PM

check the optics section, a guy there has a viper stringing vertically but good horizontally. It was a bad scope...
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Shot group question - 01/07/18 09:48 PM

Bet its scope savage is one of the best out of box shooters. I have scoped and sighted lots never a problem.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Shot group question - 01/07/18 09:55 PM

Bed the stock, and problem solved. Stringing groups or groups in a straight line are generally stock to action mating issues. I could show you numerous targets of rifles before and after bedding. I have one I am doing now, a Rem 700 in 300 WM. The high end HS Precision stock that came with the factory rifle was sliding, yes sliding back and forth in the action when I took it off. A lot of factory rifles perform this way.
Posted By: Inky Doc

Re: Shot group question - 01/08/18 01:55 AM

The scope is fine, it's topped other guns and was superb. I hadn't thought of the rings or bases, might as well upgrade those when I get the new stock. Good call, jeffbird.

Chad, I'm sure you're right but I don't think I'll put $10 of epoxy in a $8 hunk of plastic. I think Savage use to make their stocks out of melted down Star Wars action figures.

Thank you to all of you gentlemen.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shot group question - 01/08/18 02:15 AM

I pillar bedded my savage factory stock and cut nearly an inch of my avg 100 yard group. Although mine was a round group no stringing, and it was a wood stock.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Shot group question - 01/08/18 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Inky Doc
The scope is fine, it's topped other guns and was superb. I hadn't thought of the rings or bases, might as well upgrade those when I get the new stock. Good call, jeffbird.

Chad, I'm sure you're right but I don't think I'll put $10 of epoxy in a $8 hunk of plastic. I think Savage use to make their stocks out of melted down Star Wars action figures.

Thank you to all of you gentlemen.

I glass bedded a Savage 93R17 that had real bad vertical stringing problems. Tightened the groups right up. It had the cheap plastic stock.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Shot group question - 01/08/18 05:15 PM

Tighten the screw in front of the magazine as tight as you can. If it is a Savage, it will shoot.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Shot group question - 01/08/18 07:50 PM

I figure that the rings are tight and mounts tight. I think will be scope put one on and let us know.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum