Texas Hunting Forum

Whats Your Hunting Routine ?

Posted By: Stub

Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 04:58 PM

I have my coffee already prepared the night before so when the alarm goes off all I do is turn the on button on my MR. Coffee maker.
Piddle around until the coffee has stimulated a flush, then eat a single Strawberry Pop Tart, take vitamin brush teeth head to the blind until usually 10:30 or hunger strikes which ever comes first. Sometimes I will do a noonish hunt for about an hour or so, if not then head back to the blind about 3:30 - 4 and do it all over up

Took an early breakfast this am because one of my buds (Chicokid) gave me some kick azz links from Fischers for Christmas, thank you sir they are Outstanding grin So yesterday I scrambled eggs, put in bacon chips added sharp cheddar cheese, cooked some biscuits and brought them out.
This am I lightly grilled the links and had one with my eggs, biscuits, home made jelly, cold glass of milk and Geezus life is good!

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 07:45 PM

I usually don’t eat breakfast before a morning hunt. Just wake up and go.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 07:52 PM

Brush my teeth, wash my face, take my meds, make coffee, have a cup, fill the thermos, dress and go. Will have a snack in the blind. Breakfast after returning.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 07:55 PM

When I stay at the ranch; it is less than ten minutes from waking up to being in the blind. I get all of the sleep I can get, and still need a nap mid afternoon.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 08:00 PM

Wake up put a dip in, crack a cold one. Put my boots and my overalls on! "Earl Dibblea JR"
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 08:11 PM

When I wake up I get the rest of the crew up. We grab a snack for breakfast, they head out to what ever stands they have decided on. I turn off the lights etc., open the curtain, and wait until LST. My feeder is about 100 yards at a tree line and on the edge of a wheat field.

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TAT
Wake up p ut a dip in, crack a cold one. Put my boots and my overalls on! "Earl Dibblea JR"
laugh up

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 08:30 PM

That looks like a fine breakfast stub. We had pancakes and sausage. It was good. It that looks better!

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 09:14 PM

That looks like a fine breakfast stub. We had pancakes and sausage. It was good. It that looks better!

Tat I love me some good pancakes, when my son was in town he came out and hunted with me one evening and morning, even though I had already prepared a breakfast for us to heat up. The thought of some Green Frogs pancakes took our minds completely over laugh

My breakfast was very good, the link is what made it happen. I bet your breakfast was very tasty also!

Breakfast with my son at the Green Frog about 8 days ago.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 09:17 PM

Wake up and scan for critters before I let the dogs out and back in. Turn on the coffee I prepared the night before. Get ready and head to my stand in the dark and try to sneak in. Enjoy the sunrise and wait to see what is moving for the day. Stay til at least 10;00. Go in for breakfast and visit with family and or friends. Return to my stand before 3:00 and watch what ever shows up. Enjoy another beautiful sunset and the prime time of last light. Love every minute of it up

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 09:23 PM

Those are some serious pancakes Stub! My youngest would be in heaven. When we are in mount Vernon we always hit the dairy bar up. Awesome food. Huge pancakes too!

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 09:31 PM

Those are some serious pancakes Stub! My youngest would be in heaven. When we are in mount Vernon we always hit the dairy bar up. Awesome food. Huge pancakes too!

Buddy those are the best tasting pancakes period, they have a light buttery taste to begin with, great texture and are never dry tasting.

I use to sell insurance up in the MT. Vernon, MT. Pleasant area a long time ago, used to love to stop at the dairy farms up there, they would give me fresh cold whole milk out of those giant stainless steel vats up
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 09:44 PM

Sleep as late as possible, rush around and get ready to go. Put in a dip, grab a diet DP, hit the can then out the door. Breakfast when the hunts over.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 09:52 PM

Deer routine varies, but always ends the same....walk of shame...
Posted By: Da' Hitman

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 09:56 PM

Brush teeth, morning dump, then pop a Pepsi while i smoke my morning cigarette. Get dressed and spray everything down again. Double check my bag for everything then hike in
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/07/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Deer routine varies, but always ends the same....walk of shame...
Hahaha. I heard that roflmao
Posted By: DH3

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 12:44 AM

1.Wake up.
2.Shut off alarm.
3.Get dressed.
4.Get rifle and a couple cartridges.
5.Walk to blind and get in.
6.Wait for shooting light.
7.Glass deer under feeder and count points.
8.Shoot
9.Get Jeep and pick up deer.
10.Put deer in gambrel and hoist for skinning.
11.Skin and quarter deer and put on ice in cooler.
12.Clean up.
13.Take a nap.
Picture is step 10.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 01:13 AM

S**t
Shower
Shave
Smoke
Stand
Shoot
Skin
Skedaddle

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 01:30 AM

Dang Nogalus, you have all S's covered!

Congrats DH3
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 01:14 PM

Get up, get dressed and get to stand early. Sleep in stand for an hour. Wake up at sunrise, look for deer until 10, go to restaurant, eat large breakfast, go to room, sleep from 11-2, then head back out to stand. Hunt to dark......I really look forward to the weekends.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 04:11 PM

get up, take a dump, get dressed, into the stand at least 30 minutes before legal shooting light.
Posted By: chesterc

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 04:21 PM

This season my hunts have been single days ... make the 2 1/2 hour drive to the lease and try to arrive about 2 hours before sunrise. Walk out to the blind and get situated. Make some coffee (got a propane single burner cooktop in the blind) and wait for the sun to rise. Make some more coffee. Around noon I get itchy and maybe get out to walk around a bit. Heat up water for a Mountain House meal. Watch the fighter jet practice maneuvers overhead. Maybe read a little, or nap. Then watch the action before sunset (usually more happens than during the morning sit). After last light is gone pack up my stuff, clean up the blind, and walk back out to the truck. Drive home. Of course, if I see something worth shooting then everything changes. It makes for a long day but it is the best day of the week!!
Posted By: nak

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 06:03 PM

Drive to the TX Panhandle Friday after work. Consume whiskey in the trailer from ~ 10:30 PM - midnight.

Alarm 1 1/2 - 2 hrs before sunrise on Sat morning. Throw hunting cloths on, brush teeth, quick potty trip for dogs, then 15 min or so booting them. Stop at Alsups for a quick *unload*, grab a diet pepsi and danish that are eaten on the way to the field. Collar dogs, gear up, and release dogs...hopefully about 15 min before sunrise. First brace out for about 90 minutes, back the truck for a short break, then release a second brace about 9:30 - 10:00. Run them an hour or so. Grab lunch. Repeat the process about 2:00 or 3:00. Sipping whiskey on the truck tailgate shortly after sundown (well, in the truck when the weather is reeeealy cold.) Dress birds, care for dogs, find dinner, drink a little whiskey, but to bed by 11:00 or so.

Repeat process Sunday morning, but quit hunting shortly after noon and head home.
Posted By: D'hanis

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 06:11 PM

Wake up
Go wake Dad up
Get dressed
Load up the Mule,
Drop Dad off at his blind (or vise versa)
Open the windows (if in a blind) and wait for sunrise
Hunt till around 10 or so and head back to house
Eat breakfast and try to take a nap around 11:00
At 11:05 Grandma walks in with a new project and I'm moving furniture, repairing fence, digging holes or whatever else until about 3:00 when we go hunt again
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 06:15 PM

Alsups. That's what most of y'all left out Alsups.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 06:59 PM

Wake up extra early.
Drink a hefty cup of coffee.
flush (See #1).
Put a snack in a ziploc (quieter in the stand).
Make more coffee to put in the thermos.
Get dressed.
Step off.

grin

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/08/18 11:08 PM

I'm gonna' miss my routine. Get up by 0600, coffee, bathroom, get on my duds and grab a banana or an orange. Walk the 600 yards to my new stand. Quite a walk up these Rocky hillsides. My butt cheeks are tight. It's great exercise.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/09/18 01:33 PM

Wake up earlier, get dressed, eat breakfast and drink a cup of coffee or two, load all my crap up on ranger, ride to my parking spot, walk to stand, usually doze off until I can see, then patiently wait until I see something, if I don't kill anything, then I usually go back to nap and eat before evening hunt.
Posted By: bigorosco

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/09/18 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub

Tat I love me some good pancakes, when my son was in town he came out and hunted with me one evening and morning, even though I had already prepared a breakfast for us to heat up. The thought of some Green Frogs pancakes took our minds completely over laugh

My breakfast was very good, the link is what made it happen. I bet your breakfast was very tasty also!

Breakfast with my son at the Green Frog about 8 days ago.

Oh man, we discovered the Green Frog this season, went a few times, chicken fried steak and eggs, sooo good! Worth the 20 min drive from our place!
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/09/18 07:44 PM

That was quick, did you skip step 6?
Originally Posted By: DH3
1.Wake up.
2.Shut off alarm.
3.Get dressed.
8.Shoot
12.Clean up.
13.Take a nap.
Picture is step 10.

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/10/18 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
I'm gonna' miss my routine. Get up by 0600, coffee, bathroom, get on my duds and grab a banana or an orange. Walk the 600 yards to my new stand. Quite a walk up these Rocky hillsides. My butt cheeks are tight. It's great exercise.

roflmao
Posted By: DH3

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/10/18 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
That was quick, did you skip step 6?
Originally Posted By: DH3
1.Wake up.
2.Shut off alarm.
3.Get dressed.
8.Shoot
12.Clean up.
13.Take a nap.
Picture is step 10.

The deer in the picture was killed just before dark. Sometimes , steps 7,8 and 9 do not happen on a morning hunt. Point is, they DO occur and routine is the same...including the nap.
Posted By: budward

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/10/18 03:38 PM

Wake up. Drink coffee. Take a dump. Hunt. Nap. Hunt. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

Re: Whats Your Hunting Routine ? - 01/10/18 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: budward
Wake up. Drink coffee. Take a dump. Hunt. Nap. Hunt. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.
I've done this for 2 months straight. Kind of relaxing to just chill out now. Hunting is hard work.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum