Texas Hunting Forum

Polaris Ranger Question

Posted By: txbowhunt7

Polaris Ranger Question - 12/08/17 03:38 PM

I'm looking to get a new ranger crew but having a hard time narrowing it down. The ranger will mostly be used in the duck marsh, and will need to go through about 1' of water and mud with 5 people to get in and out of the blinds. No mudding or high end speed is needed.

The first question is gas vs diesel? I've read mixed reviews about both but would like to hear further.

The next is which model would y'all say is plenty of power to go through the water/mud with 5 people? Most of the other guys are running 900s or 1000s, but could the 570-6 get me where I'm going with ease? I plan on putting a 2" lift with better tires as well.

Thanks for your inputs.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/08/17 04:14 PM

Buddy of mine had a Ranger diesel. He told me in less than a year it was having ring problems, and traded it in. Evidently this is a common problem.

Kawasaki Mule Pro DXT is what I just purchased, and it is bad to the bone! 30 mph top speed in high gear. In low gear it tops out at 15 mph, but I think it could pull my 10,000 pound pickup.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/08/17 04:44 PM

^^^This get a Mule way more dependable......
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/08/17 04:59 PM

Mule...got a 2006 that seats 5 that will not stop running.
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/08/17 05:04 PM

I bought a new Yamaha Wolverine a few months ago and I love it. Full lockers and made in USA, tops out at 51 mph.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/08/17 06:50 PM

We've gone to the Kawasaki Mule crew cab. Bro-in law had a Polaris CC. Bro-in law conceded the Mule drives and handles much better than his Ranger and costs less.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/08/17 06:51 PM

I have a nice lifted 900 crew id sell! its a 15 model with a portal lift.

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/08/17 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: pokerj2
I have a nice lifted 900 crew id sell! its a 15 model with a portal lift.

for how much?
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/11/17 02:13 AM

I have both, wished I would have bought another mule, the fuel injection system on the Polaris is not cold weather friendly, the reaction time from throttle to transmission engage is terrible. What I mean is you have to idle up before it would start to move which causes a jerk when taking off. Very cold natured. If I could get a re-due I would get the two seat mule in gas.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/11/17 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Buddy of mine had a Ranger diesel. He told me in less than a year it was having ring problems, and traded it in. Evidently this is a common problem.

Kawasaki Mule Pro DXT is what I just purchased, and it is bad to the bone! 30 mph top speed in high gear. In low gear it tops out at 15 mph, but I think it could pull my 10,000 pound pickup.

If you buy a mule over a Polaris... you deserve it.

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/11/17 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher

I don't understand what you're saying.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/11/17 03:00 AM

Can-am Defenders are stout machines too.
Posted By: HogBranch

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/11/17 07:38 PM

I have a 2015 Polaris crew 570. It has done everything I asked it to do and seems to have plenty of power. Even when loaded with 6 men. Granted I am not running through the water/mud but I would not hesitate to do so.

FYI: I will be selling it in January, send me a PM if you would like to talk about it.

Nothing wrong with it, I get a new one every 3 years.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/11/17 09:28 PM

Seems the common consensus of Ranger owners is putting them up for sale...

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/11/17 09:32 PM

You deserve to own a second tier utv. Can’t believe you’re bragging about 30mph. I routinely pull trailers with tons of feed and when just fooling around I’ve never even found out how fast it can go. At 48 it still had plenty left. And after that, it’s a Polaris. The 7.3 desiel of the utv world.
Posted By: CB09

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/11/17 09:59 PM

We have 2 of the Polaris crew 900 both with seats in the bed as well. We put 6 or 7 people in there on a regular basis and have zero issues.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/11/17 10:10 PM

I have a Polaris crew 900 2015 model that is used multiple times per week plus deer & duck lease duty. I had a 2012 800 prior to that. I have never experienced a single issue listed above. They both start and run fine. Routine maintenance is performed and I am not terribly hard on my equipment. Not going through any unnecessary mud and not trying to catch air in it.

I personally would choose something bigger than the 570 but it may very well be plenty enough to do the job you want. I wouldn't chance it over the additional cost.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/11/17 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
Seems the common consensus of Ranger owners is putting them up for sale...

To sell and buy a newer model. Seems to be testament in favor of Polaris.

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/12/17 12:53 AM

You deserve to own a second tier utv. Can’t believe you’re bragging about 30mph. I routinely pull trailers with tons of feed and when just fooling around I’ve never even found out how fast it can go. At 48 it still had plenty left. And after that, it’s a Polaris. The 7.3 desiel of the utv world.

Wow!
Posted By: grimreapor

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/12/17 01:11 AM

It’s a matter of opinion like trucks. Drive all of them and see what you like. I bought the 900 crew this year and am extremely happy with it. If you take care of your stuff, it will last.
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/12/17 01:35 AM

Just traded out of my 2016 Polaris for a new 2018 Can Am.

I had problems from the start with the ranger. First, the brake line got pinched between the front a-arm. (Manufacturing fault) Left me about 4 miles from the closest house. That was a fun Sunday night.

Then started have EPS issues. Dealer can’t explain problem. It will go off for no reason. Have to turn off and back on to reset.

Then it starting over heating. Had to wait for it to cool down to get back to the house. Dealer can’t explain. Fluid levels are correct. Filters clean. Radiator clean.

Then it wouldn’t start after a rain. Ranger was parked under the car port during the rain storm. Dealer said that there was water in the gas tank. bs Still had issues with it starting during high humidity.

Burned up 3 drive belts in 12 months and noticed the stabilization bushings under the back bad were worn out.

Finally fed up and purchased the Cam Am Defender. Have ran it next to 2 new rangers over the last month on hunting trips. Both ranger owners are now considering Can Am.

Side by side, the cam am is a heavier build machine. Park them next to each other and compare yourself.

Do I drive mine hard? You bet. That’s what they are made for. Do I abuse them? No. I paid for the platinum warranty and serviced them as recommended. So far I have not had a single issue with the Can Am.

For what it’s worth, I had a 2013 Polaris and loved it to the point that I was upset that I traded it for the 16. However, I still had to replace the drive belt every year. Drove it the same way I drove the rest of them.

If you are going to piddle around the “neighborhood”, Polaris will be fine. If you plan to use them for what they are intended for, you might consider another machine.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/12/17 01:41 AM

I'm a Polaris fan but I admit I like the new can ams
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/12/17 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I'm a Polaris fan but I admit I like the new can ams

I was too
Posted By: B.K.S.

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/12/17 03:27 AM

The guy ask about Polaris,get the 900 or 1000 you'll be happier!

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/12/17 02:59 PM

If you buy a mule over a Polaris... you deserve it.[/quote]

I don't understand what you're saying. [/quote]

You deserve to own a second tier utv. Can’t believe you’re bragging about 30mph. I routinely pull trailers with tons of feed and when just fooling around I’ve never even found out how fast it can go. At 48 it still had plenty left. And after that, it’s a Polaris. The 7.3 desiel of the utv world.[/quote]

Wow! [/quote]

I was pulling your chain. These threads are fun for that. Lighten up, it’s Christmas time..

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/13/17 02:23 AM

Thanks for all your input guys. I'm not dead set on the Polaris, just what the rest of the crew runs. I do like the look of the can-am thoug. Time for some test drives
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/13/17 02:28 AM

I didn't read all the posts...

I bought the Kawasaki Mule earlier this year, it's the rigged out model

Built like a tank

My step dad bought the Ranger diesel a few years ago and we took it on vacation to the mountains. It wouldn't run in high in altitude.
Posted By: cos

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/13/17 03:01 AM

Got one of each and I think they named the older Mules right, the older Rangers were quarter Horses compared to the Mules. All that changed last year and now I would take a new Mule over a new Ranger. Just my opinion for whatever its worth.
Posted By: SilentKnightLLC

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/13/17 04:26 AM

I bought a ranger crew xp1000 this year and love it. The extra power is nice when it is loaded down with the family and a bed full of corn/supplies. Originally, I had planned on getting the 570-6 but the size comparison is night and day difference. I also use the work/standard/performance toggle switch a lot more than I thought I would. For 20mph on the main lease road I usually run performance, interior lease roads I run standard and towing a trailer I’ll run work mode. Seems like it’s easier on the transmission and better fuel economy like that. That being said, one of the guys I hunt with has the 4 seater mule and I really like the convertible bed and the fact that the bed is metal. Not a huge fan of all the plastic on the rangers
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/13/17 09:23 PM

A buddy has a gasoline 900. We often load up 4 or 5 people plus 800-1000 pounds of corn in the back and drive up and down the central Texas hills (low gear going up) to fill feeders. It runs great.
The CanAm is nice but they cost a bit more than the Rangers.
My honest opinion is that if you are spending that much for a new UTV, then why not just get a used 4x4 truck and keep it as a ranch/hunting truck?
Posted By: HuntTex

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/14/17 02:58 AM

You deserve to own a second tier utv. Can’t believe you’re bragging about 30mph. I routinely pull trailers with tons of feed and when just fooling around I’ve never even found out how fast it can go. At 48 it still had plenty left. And after that, it’s a Polaris. The 5.9 diesel of the utv world.

Fixed it for ya!
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/14/17 07:23 PM

Don't over look Honda. I purchased the Pioneer 1000 over a year ago and am very happy comes with a 1 year warranty and you can purchase 2 additional years. I use it on the ranch to feed cattle and hunting. Took it to Wyoming elk hunting and performed very well.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/14/17 09:20 PM

I have the Ranger Crew 570 four seater. It does perfectly fine with me, the wife, three kids, and 800 lbs of corn in the bed.

Take care of it and they're fine machines.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/15/17 04:28 PM

I bought a Ranger crew 800 back in '10. I've been very happy with it. This is my 8th season with it. I may wind up selling it to one of the guys on my lease after the season, in which case I will be disappointed as it has been very reliable. It's nice to be able to put 5 or 6 guys in it when you need to, plus gear.

I don't know what I'll get next but my I do think sometimes about getting a used truck ilo a utv, considering how much new ones cost n such.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Polaris Ranger Question - 12/15/17 04:41 PM

To better answer your question, I'd recommend gas vs diesel for a hunting rig. I've hunted the marsh on a large property in a 570. It hauled 4 guys, gear, dogs, all weekend long and we went in some deep mud and water. At one time we got stuck in about 18 inches of water/mud, but the 570 was smaller and therefore lighter that we could just push it out pretty much. It's a 4 seater vs 6 of course. Really nice machine, if I was looking for a used machine and came across a 570 for a decent price I would not hesitate to buy one.

If more power and hauling 5 or 6 people is important to you, then go with the bigger 900 or 1000 machines.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum