Texas Hunting Forum

Hogs Ran The Deer Off

Posted By: Msemm15

Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 11/27/17 08:24 PM

I recently got access to hunt 25 acres close to the house. I ran out Monday to put some corn and a camera out to see what potential the place had. Wednesday I went back to put up a pop up and I checked the camera and it had deer coming to the corn all throughout he day and a little at night. I thought I hit the jackpot.... well Friday afternoon when I decided to do my first sit I checked the cams again and the pigs found the corn.... they are on it for hours each night. Since then I only have a few deer coming through. Would it help to put up a feeder and regulate the timing and amount of corn? Should I stop feeding all together? It seems like a fairly high traffic area (pre hogs).
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 11/27/17 09:03 PM

Put up a hog proof pen, it takes about 10 panels.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 11/27/17 09:03 PM

Start shooting the pigs, they will leave. Or build a feeder pen.

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 11/27/17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

It is in an open area around really thick woods in the intersection of multiple trails. Will the pen disrupt the deer?

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 11/27/17 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

I can only bow hunt the property, but I am thinking about staying out late one night to at least put an arrow in one or two.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 11/27/17 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Msemm15
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

It is in an open area around really thick woods in the intersection of multiple trails. Will the pen disrupt the deer?

No, put the pen up. They will just jump in.
Originally Posted By: Msemm15
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

I can only bow hunt the property, but I am thinking about staying out late one night to at least put an arrow in one or two.

That's fine. As soon as one give the death squeal the others will take notice. Just keep shooting them.
Posted By: RustyMetal

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 12/01/17 01:12 AM

That's also what I would suggest. Hog hunt for a while. The remaining ones will eventually move to less "risky" feeding areas.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 12/01/17 01:17 AM

Mine never left when I shot them with a bow. Made a project out of them a few years ago and killed 19 while bowhunting. Didn’t help.

They would avoid the area after I shot a few with a rifle - at least for a while.

I trap them now. Only thing that puts a dent in them.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 12/01/17 01:41 AM

As has been said:

Pen the feeder.
Kill every hog you have a shot on.

I'm rifle shooting suppressed, and the sounder is roaming around. But I keep finding it, and keep plucking hogs out of it. rifle
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 12/01/17 03:05 AM

If you can't build a pen around your feeder with hog panels, quit feeding for a few days and shoot all the hogs you can, until the activity subsides. Too bad you can't use a gun. It would solve your problem much more quickly. Agree with the observation that squealers help to reduce numbers willing to visit. An arrow anywhere in the hog is a good shot! Wait another couple days, feed again at regular intervals and start hunting deer ASAP. You won't get more than a few hunts in before the murranos return. So plan your hunts, set-ups and new feeding times around the wind. cheers

If you CAN build the pen, 40 ft x40 ft is the minimum size I'd recommend.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 12/01/17 01:38 PM

Same happened to me so I put a trap near the feeder(top right) and tied it open. When the feeder throws only a few pieces of corn get in it but its enough to make the pigs get in. I set it when I'm there and no one is deer hunting. I've gotten 5 hogs in 7 sets. The deer have returned and don't seem to mind it.

Posted By: Wacm

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 12/01/17 02:26 PM

Start hunting hogs...they are way smarter then deer and will push out.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 12/01/17 02:27 PM

One this to try is have late morning and early evening feedings cause after a little pressure the hog will get nocturnal
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Hogs Ran The Deer Off - 12/01/17 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
One this to try is have late morning and early evening feedings cause after a little pressure the hog will get nocturnal

That's why I put my trap in and set it after the evening hunt. I have a bell in it so we know we have one. When hear it we go out and get the pig out and reset. We had multiple sounders coming in so this worked the first 2 sets. After that the late sounder quit coming. More deer are there in the morning than evening because the sounder that comes in right after dark don't care.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum