Texas Hunting Forum

Busted Racks and useful observation

Posted By: hook_n_line

Busted Racks and useful observation - 11/17/17 02:52 PM

I saw a few bucks with busted racks in Robertson County already. Got me looking at old game cam pictures. 11/15 of the last 3 years busted racks began coming to the feeders and they were all younger bucks. The big guys didn't start coming back in to feeders until the 2nd week of December and the majority were intact. I feel our management strategy is working. Take out the cull bucks and a few does before the rut and then lessen the pressure until after the 2nd week in December when the big guys make their move to the feeders and hope they bred all the does (i can wish). Not likely but they got to some of them for sure. From what our group in the area have compared the biggest bucks are late season and some we have never seen on camera. This gives me a better feeling of seeing a good buck because most people are already done hunting and the woods are quiet again.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Busted Racks and useful observation - 11/17/17 03:40 PM

Busted racks is the price you pay for having a decent buck:doe ratio. If you never see any busted racks, odds are you have way too many does or too few bucks.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Busted Racks and useful observation - 11/17/17 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Busted racks is the price you pay for having a decent buck:doe ratio. If you never see any busted racks, odds are you have way too many does or too few bucks.

Yep and rattling only scares the bucks off.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Busted Racks and useful observation - 11/17/17 09:08 PM

I had a pic of a buck in late Oct. that was all broke up on the right side. Our doe to buck ratio here in Llano County is very high. IDK maybe he did it rubbing?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Busted Racks and useful observation - 11/18/17 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
For sure. I've already seen a couple of young deer busted up. Bucks have been chasing good until this hot windy weather. Thanksgiving week should be cooler and better deer movement. Wish we had enough doe that we could kill a couple. We're just not there yet. We may never be there. I've seen 13 bucks and 3 doe.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Busted Racks and useful observation - 11/18/17 01:56 AM

My high fence neighbor has tons of doe. Our bucks run the fenceline. It's been pretty amazing to watch out of my new blind. I don't even want to shoot something yet. I don't want it to end.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum