Texas Hunting Forum

What is wrong with me?

Posted By: allterrain

What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 02:01 PM

Sitting in my stand this morning, covered up in bucks at my feeder,I have 2 mature 8s and 4 younger bucks feasting. Then grand dad slowly walks in, head raised high, majestic and respected by the others. Big ole body, saggy belly and decent horns and made my heart pound. I passed him up for some reason, maybe I am too concerned with score but any way he was a dang good shooter buck and I watched him slowly walk away.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 02:20 PM

You don't have to shoot anything, even though I probably would have shot one of the eight pointers and never seen the big buck.... there's nothing wrong with not shooting.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 02:29 PM

I have done it more times than I can count and never regretted it. If he doesn’t do it for me, he walks cheers
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 02:46 PM

I feel your pain. I let a really nice 4x4 mule deer go in Idaho one year towards the end of the hunt because he wasn't what I wanted for the wall. He was really nice buck, but just a little thin, and I was way too picky. That was back in the 90's and it still bothers me that I went home without filling my tag instead of taking that buck.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 02:57 PM

Hunting is seldom about shooting.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 03:01 PM

I'm the same way. I shoot when I am ready and when I have the right one. Did not get one last year for this reason. Since I still hunt on my in-laws land which is free I don't feel that I have to shoot something to punch my tag. I saw plenty of deer but not the right one. Instead I enjoy the hunting aspect of it and just being out while relaxing. My job is stressful enough that I don't need to be stressed out on killing a trophy. Closest I got was an old spike that I stalked for 30 minutes but never got the right shot. The only regret I had was no sausage this year.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

And shooting has become increasing less about hunting.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
You don't have to shoot anything, even though I probably would have shot one of the eight pointers and never seen the big buck.... there's nothing wrong with not shooting.

This ^^^^^^^
Posted By: yotehater

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 04:12 PM

And hunting has become less about hunting.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 04:21 PM

more than a few times I sit & watched, never shot.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I have done it more times than I can count and never regretted it. If he doesn’t do it for me, he walks cheers

Yep! Nothing wrong with you at all! I've done it many times myself
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: BOONER
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Yep! Nothing wrong with you at all! I've done it many times myself
yup.....I enjoy watching more than shooting most of the time....
Posted By: Stub

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 06:53 PM

I bet he come back and gives you a second chance to enjoy or shoot up

Last year I passed what would have been the biggest buck I have ever seen in hopes that my daughter would get a chance at it, she got a quick look at him but did not get a shot, it was exciting.

Good luck.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 07:35 PM

Professional courtesy between two old farts? 'Nothing wrong with that.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 07:40 PM

Wow, unrelated spam-type post.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/05/17 07:42 PM

[b][/b]Nothing is wrong with you! God knows I love seeing them as much as I do taking them.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/06/17 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

And shooting has become increasing less about hunting.
Originally Posted By: yotehater
And hunting has become less about hunting.

rock_on

......happens, you don't know it yet but you ain't mad at the deer anymore!
Posted By: retfuz

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/06/17 05:34 PM

Word! cheers
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/06/17 06:06 PM

Nothing wrong with that.

I go through phases. Couple weeks back I was low on venison.....I was only 45 min into my hunt about to arrow my third doe of the evening, when I realized I was well on track to use all my tags since it was only 3:45pm,

This weekend I never even thought about chambering my rifle. Just watched and took pics

Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/06/17 06:08 PM

Nothing wrong with letting him walk. I did the same thing Saturday morning.
Posted By: GLC

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/06/17 06:54 PM

I always say, If he is bigger than I have on the wall, I will shoot. If not, let him pass. I can always get a doe or spike for meat.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/06/17 07:26 PM

There is nothing wrong with "Counting Coup". SOmetimes it takes more honor to let them walk than it does to hammer down on them. Getting older has many strange effects on a person. Sometimes I think I identify more with the animal than I should.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/06/17 08:57 PM

I took 2 does this weekend and when I had the chance at a really nice buck I looked over and didn't see anybody in the stand with me. It lacked that extra excitement that comes with having a friend or family member along for the ride. That was a lucky buck because there was no more i was almost past the accurelease lever and on the trigger when it just didn't feel right. I got meat does though, and that's what I was really there for.
Posted By: Unclek

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/07/17 04:55 AM

Ya last year hadn't seen to many mule deer on prop but found a 3-4 year old 3/3 520 yards but knew
He was never going to get real awesome if I took him really thought about it till I spooked a monster
Late in the morning unprepared and I mean a toad! Saw him for 20 seconds and lost my cool!
But now there's two toads!
Or if you tag out wife wants you home😔
Posted By: Unclek

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/07/17 04:57 AM

hammer
Posted By: Matpk

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/07/17 02:44 PM

aim
Nothing wrong with you. Some times you enjoy not killing, more than killing.
Keep seeing that buck every in your dreams and enjoy..
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/07/17 02:58 PM

I'll go against the grain here...What the hell is wrong with you you!?! You totally should have smoked that deer. You will regret that for the rest of your miserable life! We need BLOOD!!! Seek counseling or you might as well sell your guns, buy some skirts and take up bird watching. Pansy. hammer

Really, I've had many hunts where I saw deer I could have shot to fill the freezer, but at the moment I felt better just watching them. A good hunter will sometimes show respect, and use a given opportunity to maybe learn something, or just enjoy the moment without pulling the trigger.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/07/17 03:26 PM

It isn't all about killing. If it were all about killing, think about all the wasted trips you have made to deer hunt. It is all about the experience. It is a plus just to get out and see what you can see.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/07/17 09:28 PM

I hope nothing as I pull that same stunt more often than not. I would rather leave a few of the good ones for someone who genuinely wants to shoot one.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/08/17 01:43 PM

I am setting right now saw 5 out past ears good 16 inch or better out walks big wide 20 incher 10 point passed on shot may regret but I'm ok with decision now. He will be a great one for grandchild 135 inch buck I have enjoyed watching them going to hunt about another 1 and half hours starting to rain now try to get some picks hope you find the one you are looking for!
Posted By: bear64

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/08/17 03:54 PM

after 43 years sitting thousands of hours in a tree, shooting, tracking, field dressing, dragging, skinning, cutting, packaging, freezing, cleaing up the mess.....sometimes just watching is a lot less work and way more enjoyable.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/08/17 04:06 PM

It is easier for me to let one pass if I have already taken a nice buck. Maybe our thoughts also develop with the deer population we have.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/08/17 09:57 PM

I'm putting in work on my land, to give the does a reason to come more often than they already do. Maybe they will draw in the bucks. If years go by, and I only see does, and dink bucks, I don't care. I've got deer on land I own, and I get to watch them.

They really like hanging out on the rifle range. sick
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/08/17 10:58 PM

This may sound silly but I talk to myself while hunting. One phrase I mumble often is "you don't need to eat the ball to have a great time golfing". It brings things to perspective at times. If all you are concerned about is killing you are truly missing the point in my mind.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/09/17 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: bear64
after 43 years sitting thousands of hours in a tree, shooting, tracking, field dressing, dragging, skinning, cutting, packaging, freezing, cleaing up the mess.....sometimes just watching is a lot less work and way more enjoyable.

It's funny how that works. I find it real hard to pull the trigger Sunday afternoon for some reason?
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: What is wrong with me? - 11/09/17 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: bear64
after 43 years sitting thousands of hours in a tree, shooting, tracking, field dressing, dragging, skinning, cutting, packaging, freezing, cleaning up the mess.....sometimes just watching is a lot less work and way more enjoyable.

up

We lost our lease year before last, but the wife & I didn't have withdrawal symptoms as bad as we thought we would because of exactly what you have said. We still have limited access to a doe now & then but we've found going to the state parks & watching the deer just as satisfying. After 50+ years of chasing Mulies, White Tail, & Elk the old get up & go has just about got up & went! yingyang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum