Texas Hunting Forum

Drawn Hunt winner for Nilgai in Rio Grande Wildlife Refuge

Posted By: dieseldan

Drawn Hunt winner for Nilgai in Rio Grande Wildlife Refuge - 10/18/17 04:43 PM

I won a drawn hunt in the Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge - Teniente area for Nilgai Antelope in February. I have never been down there or have never hunted these animals before. I plan to scout it a few times before the hunt. I will be using a 300 Win Mag and thinking about using Hornady Precision Hunter Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 200 Grain ELD-X ammo. Is this a good pick for ammo? Or something else recommended? I was wondering if anyone has any info or tips for this particular hunt or area? I have been using Google earth to get an idea of the area but any information from someone who has actually drawn this hunt or hunted this area before would be greatly appreciated. We are allowed to set up a portable blind the Monday before the hunt. Do you think a blind is the best way to go about the hunt or should I...? Thanks in advance for any information you may share.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Drawn Hunt winner for Nilgai in Rio Grande Wildlife Refuge - 10/18/17 05:09 PM

The 200 grain ELD-X bullet would suit you very well. It is a controlled expansion bullet, and should penetrate very well. If you want some match grade ammo with the same bullet, let me know!

http://dallasreloads.com/product-category/rifle-ammo/300-win-mag/
Posted By: Stub

Re: Drawn Hunt winner for Nilgai in Rio Grande Wildlife Refuge - 10/18/17 05:46 PM

Good luck up
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Drawn Hunt winner for Nilgai in Rio Grande Wildlife Refuge - 10/18/17 08:07 PM

I agree with you on the ELD ammo. Good stuff. As far as hunting a blind it depends. Buddy of mine has killed two. hunted the blind but never a shot. Drive around slow in the truck and glass or spot and stock is how he got both of his. might just depend on the terrain and amount of trees/brush.
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Drawn Hunt winner for Nilgai in Rio Grande Wildlife Refuge - 10/19/17 01:24 AM

We too Dieseldan were drawn for this hunt. Very excited for the opportunity.
Posted By: javman

Re: Drawn Hunt winner for Nilgai in Rio Grande Wildlife Refuge - 10/19/17 10:43 PM

Only driving allowed is on the county roads at Teniente. Walk and stalk or bike is the only other option .
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Drawn Hunt winner for Nilgai in Rio Grande Wildlife Refuge - 10/20/17 01:32 PM

Never had success on a Nilgai from a blind. Took all of ours walking or driving. With Nilgai, you have to play the wind or they will bust you. Best strategy I found was to analyze your compartment and figure out what kind of route will allow you to have the wind in your face and the sun at your back. Can often find them at water first thing in the morning as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum