Texas Hunting Forum

New pants

Posted By: Creekrunner

New pants - 10/04/17 07:41 PM

Well, the elk hunt is coming up. And I tried on the wool, bib overalls that I've worn on the last two elk hunts, several years ago. You guessed it - I could barely wiggle my hips and old-man gut into them. Man, I'm getting tired of this crap. These things weren't cheap. I now have a new pair of Kuiu pants coming. First, I was pissed about not fitting in the overalls and then, I notice Kuiu only goes up to 40 waist. Dam young whipper snappers; that's age discrimination. This hi-tech crap better work. I'm sure I'll get some side-ways glances from any wranglers in the outfit - old man in hoity toity young man's gear.

Now, I can still get into (comfortably) plenty of stuff labeled "38", so I know I'm right on that cusp of a., the cleaners/washing machine shrunk it and b., "you're becoming a fat old fart."

On the bright side - there seems to be plenty of early snow in Montana.

'Looking forward to starting my mid-life crisis road trip in 3 weeks. 'Started doing Burpees in a last-ditch, panic attack to get to some semblance of fitness. Deeam, those things kick your butt. rifle
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 07:52 PM

You will like those pants. A whole different world than those overalls.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 08:00 PM

KUIU is all its cracked up to be. You’ll like them....if you can get them on. grin

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
...if you can get them on. grin

Thanks buddy. You're not helping.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 08:20 PM

Those pants are awesome. So are the Firstlite pants. You'll never go back to those coveralls even though you'll probably be able to fit in them when you get home:)

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
...if you can get them on. grin

Thanks buddy. You're not helping.

I tried.
Posted By: Justin T

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 09:40 PM

3 weeks? Time to hit the gym and lay off the cold beers. cheers
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 09:51 PM

Skip the kuiu and go with Prana Zion stretch.

This coming from a guy that has kuiu (attack, alpine) and prana

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 09:52 PM

I will say the full length zip wool long underwear pants are worth thier weight in gold.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 10:02 PM

Just googled these and saw the prices. eek2 Didn't know I was supposed to spend $150-250 for proper hunting pants. Must have been dang lucky to kill so many animals in my old faded Wrangler camo jeans....
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 10:03 PM

I love my Prana Stretch Zion pants and shorts, doesn't get any better than that. Hear that Creekrunner - they are stretchy pants grin (insert Pic of Nacho Libre here). Bobo may be onto something here. Granted it ain't camo so they will see you coming from a mile away. bolt
Posted By: Stub

Re: New pants - 10/04/17 10:15 PM

Man I have some clothes that shrunk in the closet confused2

Re: New pants - 10/05/17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Just googled these and saw the prices. eek2 Didn't know I was supposed to spend $150-250 for proper hunting pants. Must have been dang lucky to kill so many animals in my old faded Wrangler camo jeans....

I usually hunt in the same, but when I’m putting in miles on tough terrain, the extra expense is worth it. There’s a lot of comfort issues I don’t have to worry about with KUIU that I do with jeans.
Posted By: ckat

Re: New pants - 10/05/17 03:50 AM

Posted By: Theringworm

Re: New pants - 10/05/17 10:47 AM

^^^^^. roflmao
Posted By: rex47

Re: New pants - 10/05/17 07:04 PM

my lined wranglers and suspenders have served well in the past, don't want to get started on $200.00 pants

Re: New pants - 10/05/17 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: rex47
my lined wranglers and suspenders have served well in the past, don't want to get started on $200.00 pants

Those work great until it 34 degrees and they start soaking up and wicking water up your leg. The best is when they freeze etc but never dry. Lot of good <$100 synthetic pants that don't absorb and retain water.

Now I do love my Duluth lined firehorse pants just not in the backcountry

Re: New pants - 10/05/17 08:06 PM

Creek no matter what pant you buy, don't use regular detergent right off the bat.. It will destroy the factory DWR.
Posted By: Stub

Re: New pants - 10/05/17 08:46 PM

Creek model your new britches for us when you get them in laugh
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: New pants - 10/06/17 12:27 AM

One size too small coveralls is the way to go. The fat Elvis look....

Re: New pants - 10/06/17 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Creek no matter what pant you buy, don't use regular detergent right off the bat.. It will destroy the factory DWR.

Got it, thank you sir.

I've got camo Wranglers too. Dang, those things are loud moving through the brush. I got some other camo jeans this summer on the clearance aisle at Walmart, 8 bucks I think. 'Will definitely be trying them at the deer lease; ugliest darn camo pattern I've ever seen in my life.

Happy hunting all.
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: New pants - 10/06/17 04:48 AM

I've been running Kuiu For a while. Have Guide pants, Chinook pants, Alpine and Attack. They are all good, with the Attack pants being the tightest fitting of them. For Solids I have been running the Kryptek Valhalla's in Olive and Grey, love these pants and wear them a lot as a casual pant. That said I recently picked up a pair of the stretch Zion pants from pRana and really like them. I bought two more pairs of the pRana Brion (same stretch material as the Zion without the cargo pocket and a slightly slimmer fit). I would live in these things 24/7 I I could.

Re: New pants - 10/06/17 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: rex47

Those work great until it 34 degrees and they start soaking up and wicking water up your leg. The best is when they freeze etc but never dry. Lot of good <$100 synthetic pants that don't absorb and retain water.

Now I do love my Duluth lined firehorse pants just not in the backcountry

i have the synthetics and use them too, gaithers keep the water off my wranglers real well

Re: New pants - 10/06/17 11:58 AM

just got an add from Sportsman warehouse, 100% wool german riding pants with stirups to keep them in your boots
Posted By: Wacm

Re: New pants - 10/07/17 02:08 AM

Haha Nachooo!!!!!!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: New pants - 10/07/17 02:22 AM

I'm lucky - so bird-legged any stretch pant works fine for me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum