Texas Hunting Forum

The No-Name Brands....

Posted By: Mook

The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 12:05 AM

When we start looking for hunting or guy products at times we are limited by
Cash - what is something that you wouldn't mind buying the "No-Name" product?
Posted By: RustyMetal

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 12:22 AM

Most of everything I own. hanged

...with some critical exceptions. But I read lots of reviews, watch YouTube video reviews on certain products, etc.

Do lots of checking on Amazon. cheers
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 12:29 AM

if its new on market, I check out reviews
Posted By: Mook

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 12:45 AM

lole a knock off yeti - one that is gonna work well enough you and I will never know the dofference
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 12:49 AM

Scent block
None of it makes a hill of beans difference, so by the cheap stuff and save a few dollars
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 12:52 AM

Flashlights, soft gun cases, camo and deer protein
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Mook
When we start looking for hunting or guy products at times we are limited by
Cash - what is something that you wouldn't mind buying the "No-Name" product?

Didn't realize how picky I am, couldn't come up with a single item.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Scent block
None of it makes a hill of beans difference, so by the cheap stuff and save a few dollars

Step in a cow pie and rub some crushed cedar leaves on ya and you're good to go. I believe that was Winston Burnhams favorite cover scent.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 11:28 AM

Some of the Game Winner brand that Academy sells. Their deluxe soft bow case is a great case! Especially for around 50 bucks.
Posted By: Stub

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Scent block

Step in a cow pie and rub some crushed cedar leaves on ya and you're good to go. I believe that was Winston Burnhams favorite cover scent.

I also break a small cedar branch off and brush myself down with it, sometimes grab a handful of dirt to cleanse any smell of my hand. Have a clothes wire running between two trees to air my clothes out with, sometimes I will spray them with cover scent when hanging.

To answer the question; I will buy a knock off if I think it is the same quality product for a lot better value up
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Scent block

If you wear rubber boots, pee on them.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Mook
When we start looking for hunting or guy products at times we are limited by Cash - what is something that you wouldn't mind buying the "No-Name" product?

scratch wonder how the muyloco caveman hunted ... flag
Posted By: dkershen

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 03:13 PM

RTIC instead of a Yeti.
WalMart no name brand camo. Mine gets torn up busting brush and climbing barb wire fences, so buying more expense brands and worrying that patterns match doesn't make much sense.
Savage over Remington or Tikka.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 03:27 PM

I buy a lot of Midway.com clothes. They are great quality, and when you get them off season they are cheap. Also their military surplus stuff. Good quality and dirt cheap.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
RTIC instead of a Yeti.
WalMart no name brand camo. Mine gets torn up busting brush and climbing barb wire fences, so buying more expense brands and worrying that patterns match doesn't make much sense.

x2
Posted By: Navasot

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Some of the Game Winner brand that Academy sells. Their deluxe soft bow case is a great case! Especially for around 50 bucks.

About 90% of the hunting stuff I own is GW... from boots to clothes to stands to feeder to you name it
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

About 90% of the hunting stuff I own is GW... from boots to clothes to stands to feeder to you name it

Yep, same here. Cheap camo is the way to go as long as it fits.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 05:21 PM

probably just a name brand hunting boot. I have had a pair of Genesis Lacrosse boots for around 15 years and they are still in great shape.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 07:50 PM

My dad watching hunting shows and after sponsors have eat up majority of time he will ask me...How did we ever kill deer?They say deer are sensitive to the color blue and strange noise will alert them. I killed a deaf and color blind deer about 20 years ago south of Ozona, I was in old Dodge diesel that was blue and silver...or maybe natural selection took place!
Posted By: Grizz

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/17/17 11:32 PM

I agree on the Game Winner stuff. I've had good luck with it and I'm actually looking at a GW heavy duty rifle case right now and leaning heavily that direction.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/18/17 01:32 AM

GW. I thought y'all were talking about Good Will.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/18/17 01:41 AM

Other than guns, optics, feeders and corn/feed I don't buy any "hunting" products. I don't even have "hunting" boots, most the time its crocs or flip flops.
Posted By: Mike Mathena

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/18/17 11:47 AM

I'm really only brand loyal at the grocery store. Hunting gear, i look for deals, get online and use the comments to make a decision on what I'm looking for. I am not a rich man so my main hunting rifles are all Mossberg, 22, 308 and 20g. My camo is the $2-$5 shirts and pants Walmart sells after hunting season.
Posted By: rickym

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/18/17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Yep, same here. Cheap camo is the way to go as long as it fits.

Yup, im on this bandwagon.

And for the rtic and yeti guys, magellan/igloo cooler, walmart(ozark trail) cup and roughneck can coozie($5 at valero)
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/25/17 05:38 PM

Game Winner from Academy is a good brand as is RedHead, the BPS store brand.

Though, I will admit that I am a brand snob.
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/25/17 10:10 PM

The h2o lures at academy are becoming my favorite. I love thier lipless crank baits for white bass, and their hover shrimp and thumping mullet are spec killers. I also like their rods.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/25/17 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
RTIC instead of a Yeti.

x2

I have a yeti that is over 5 years old (out of warranty), had an issue with the lid this last week. Called yeti, sent pics of the issue to them. They are overnighting me a new cooler for free and paying to shop the old one back. They have proven they are worth the money with this issue. I'll buy yeti stuff, they stand behind it. Camp I buy cheap, the pattern doesn't matter in the blind.
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/27/17 01:48 PM

Finally got myself a set of GW bibs before last season, prior to that I was using black t-shirts and old military pants. Outside of that I use jeans or shorts depending on temp and occasionally am out in crocs as well. I do take a branch from a cedar on the way out and crumble and rub that on my clothes.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/27/17 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogslayer5L
The h2o lures at academy are becoming my favorite. I love thier lipless crank baits for white bass, and their hover shrimp and thumping mullet are spec killers. I also like their rods.

Gotta agree with you. I have several of the H2O rods and they are very light and great rods. Also, Academy's return policy is the best in the business.
Posted By: claypool

Re: The No-Name Brands.... - 07/28/17 03:36 AM

I buy a lot from Academy. Especially fishing tackle. H2O lures, rods and reels. No issues going on 2 years and I fish a lot.

As for my hunting clothes, I buy the best I can afford. Especially splurge on boots and waders. Easier for me to be patient, still and quite when I am comfortable. When I was younger and just making my way I bought less expensive stuff. An extra large in cheaper clothing sometimes has different cuts that seem to restrict movements, cheaper versions of waterproof, etc., etc.,
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum