Texas Hunting Forum

rats

Posted By: old raider

rats - 02/12/17 05:00 PM

Our hunting camp was over run this year with mice and rats. Some of our vehicles had wires chewed on. What's your go to poison or method of control? Any kind of spray for wiring? Thanks
Posted By: Bbear

Re: rats - 02/12/17 05:45 PM

Moth balls tossed under the campers. Any place they like to go it seems to keep them out.
Posted By: Erny

Re: rats - 02/12/17 06:02 PM

At my local feed store they have these baits that are in a small paper bag. Put those out and took care of the problem real quick. I don't remember the name of the stuff but it sure worked.
Posted By: MrWhite87

Re: rats - 02/12/17 06:29 PM

"contrac blox" by bell labs. I own a pest control company so part of me didnt wanna share that info... lol just make sure you put them in a secured station, dont just throw them out so any other critters can get hold of them.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: rats - 02/13/17 06:36 AM

They took my daughter shoes from the porch one night. I thought my buddy mistook them for his daughters. We found the chewed up shoes 3 months later under our canin container! We shot both of them with the gamo and no problems since. Pretty funny but they are destructive. They are everywhere though with the good rains we had.
Posted By: rex47

Re: rats - 02/13/17 01:26 PM

i have used TOMCAT works pretty well, must put water out with it
Posted By: papi chulo

Re: rats - 02/13/17 01:34 PM

http://www.goodnature.co.nz/products/
Posted By: cameron00

Re: rats - 02/13/17 01:40 PM

Release several dozen rattlesnakes.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: rats - 02/13/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

Yeah...... This'll do it!
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: rats - 02/13/17 03:42 PM

TomCat liquid poison in some chicken waterers. Works like a charm!
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: rats - 02/13/17 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MrWhite87
"contrac blox" by bell labs. I own a pest control company so part of me didnt wanna share that info... lol just make sure you put them in a secured station, dont just throw them out so any other critters can get hold of them.

That's what I used to clear our barn out. Ditto on the bait stations.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: rats - 02/13/17 08:20 PM

Another up for Contrac blox. They were recommended by our pest control guy as well. A cheaper method may be to find you some good barn cats. Just know that whatever method you choose, you will need to continue employing it. Kill the resident batch and eventually new ones will move in.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: rats - 02/13/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Yeah...... This'll do it!
cheers
Posted By: RockDocJoe

Re: rats - 02/13/17 09:36 PM

Alternative opinion: Original Bounce dryer sheets keeps all of my Uncle's cars (20+ of them) rat free while they are waiting to be restored, sitting in old barns. In case you're worried about where you put the poison, or who may accidentally get into it, this could be a good alternative. If you do it, make sure to get the original.

Posted By: snoopy

Re: rats - 02/14/17 03:17 PM

Bought a new truck this summer and thought I'd keep the old one as a land truck. The truck wasn't in an enclosed, specific are like a barn but just out there. What didn't work was:
1. Rat poison - it attracts them from all directions and new generations. Takes a while to kill 'em...after they've already chewed the vehicles wiring.
2. Moth balls. I tried sprinkling them around and under the truck. No luck. Tried putting pans of them on the air cleaner, battery and cylinder head. No luck; they would build nests right next to the pan of the moth balls.
3. Fox urine.
4. Rat traps in various places under the hood. The traps were tripped but no rats.
5. Cayenne pepper sprinkled all over the engine.
6. Getting mad and shooting a few with my pellet guns. They're quick and smart; they know when there's danger. At my deer feeders I've literally had rats near me out in the open eating while I'm working with the feeders or game cameras. Let me bring my pellet gun and they're outta there.

What did work:
1. Forgetting the land truck idea and selling it. In a short matter of time the rats would have caused more damage than the truck would be worth to fix.

The folks near my land say the wood rat problem is the worst they're seen in 20 years. It all started right after the 2015 heavy rain and the 2016 moderately heavy rain just helped it along.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: rats - 02/14/17 03:23 PM

I had a rancher tell me one time to raise the hood of my truck so they didn't have dark places in the engine compartment to chew.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: rats - 02/14/17 03:24 PM

eventually some kind of snake is going to take up residence, if you don't get rid of the rodents.
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: rats - 02/14/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
I had a rancher tell me one time to raise the hood of my truck so they didn't have dark places in the engine compartment to chew.

This is what I do.

Re: rats - 02/14/17 04:38 PM

Oh, I heard and tried that too. Didn't phase them much since their handy work is done mainly at night. Also, there's is the rain/dew issue for the truck engine.

Re: rats - 02/14/17 06:26 PM

TheY eat the green blocks like candy. IT USUALLY SLOWS THEM DOWN BUT SO FAR THEY KEEP COMING BACK.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: rats - 02/14/17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: snoopy
Oh, I heard and tried that too. Didn't phase them much since their handy work is done mainly at night. Also, there's is the rain/dew issue for the truck engine.

Get a battery powered LED light, should last for months at a time and stick it under the hood. I've heard that the light thing only affects pack rats though.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: rats - 02/14/17 07:21 PM

Tomcat, tomcat, tomcat - at any given time there are maybe a dozen around the perimeter of my barn. I also have 4 or 5 inside the camper. I had a pretty big problem with mice, but after I started the TomCat routine, I've gotten a pretty good handle on it. I also leave the hood up on my tractor, and and any other vehicles left inside. Not sure if it helps, but everything that helps even a little is worth it to me. I can definitely tell when the bait starts running low as I will start to see droppings.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: rats - 02/14/17 07:52 PM

I made a post last Fall about rats in our deer lease camp house. I bought a 10 lb bucket of Tomcat rat poison, on Amazon, it was much cheaper there than at a retail store. I placed it out as directed. It took about 3 weeks to get rid of the rats. I keep putting the poison out, as needed. It took awhile, but did work. I also tried rat traps. The rats are tricky, they would spring the traps, and not get caught.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: rats - 02/14/17 07:55 PM

We had a terrible problem with Rats at my lease. In the house, my camper trailer, jeep, and outhouse. Both brown and grey rats and mice. With that the rats attracted more rattlesnakes around and under the house than ever before.

We did the poison. There are several different types or brands of "green blocks". A lot of rat poisons will not kill a rat without mutiple feedings. A lot of what is for sale in places like the grocery store is only strong enough for mice. By regulation from a few years ago, the stronger baits can not be sold in small quantities anymore or have to be packaged into single use containers. I used Contrac purchased by the 18 lb bucket from doyourownpestcontrol online. It kills rats with a single feeding. Every trip to the lease I placed them all around under the house, in the jeep, under my camper, dropped one or two into every nook and cranny. Eventually the blocs stopped disappearing and no new sign of rats. But it is something that will have to be continued to keep them under control. A bonus is we stopped seeing rattlesnakes once the rats were gone.

There is a companion product called Fastrac from the same company that is a purple bloc. It has an ingredient that kills in one day, but there is no antidote if a dog gets into it. Even though because of the other poison I never let my dog out of sight and kenneled when not in camp (something I had to do because of the rattlesnakes anyway), I don't want to take a chance with the Fastrac. But it could be an option for someone concerned about damage caused by rats pre death that were attracted to the poison.

Re: rats - 02/14/17 08:56 PM

Gamo or Crossman! I heard they taste like chicken........ peep
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: rats - 02/14/17 08:59 PM

nothing wrong with field rats, no different than tree rats

Re: rats - 02/14/17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
nothing wrong with field rats, no different than tree rats

Try & tell my wife that.......... confused2

Re: rats - 02/14/17 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: snoopy

Get a battery powered LED light, should last for months at a time and stick it under the hood. I've heard that the light thing only affects pack rats though.
Hmmmm, didn't try that one. Pack rats were my problem....
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: rats - 02/14/17 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
eventually some kind of snake is going to take up residence, if you don't get rid of the rodents.

I agree

Out west if you have rats you will have rattlesnakes
The closer the rats the closer the rattlesnakes

What a combination
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: rats - 02/14/17 09:22 PM

Barn cats work incredibly well.

Re: rats - 02/16/17 03:12 PM

The only thing worse than finding rats or mice in your trailer is finding a snake's shed skin in your trailer! eeks333
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: rats - 02/17/17 08:55 PM

The only thing worse than finding rats or mice in your trailer is finding a snake's shed skin in your trailer! eeks333

Guy on our lease opened his trailer up after being vacant for 4 months. Not only had the mice/rats had a party but a big snake came slithering out from under the bed and disappeared in the bathroom. Him and his wife refused to sleep in it for the weekend.
Posted By: leswad

Re: rats - 02/18/17 09:59 PM

Victor electric traps. Poison is great, until your dog eats a dead rat.

Re: rats - 02/21/17 01:50 AM

Just received my 10 lb bucket of TomCat. I'll be feedin my furry little friends for a while now.

Re: rats - 02/21/17 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: old raider
Just received my 10 lb bucket of TomCat. I'll be feedin my furry little friends for a while now.

Hope one doesn't die between the floor and the enclosed tank area!!! It takes a while for the smell to go away... up
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: rats - 02/21/17 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06

But then you have a cat problem. I'm not sure which is worse.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: rats - 02/21/17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse

Rats...hands down... cats will take care of not only rats but snakes, scorpions, any bug... really anything that moves lol
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: rats - 02/21/17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

Rats...hands down... cats will take care of not only rats but snakes, scorpions, any bug... really anything that moves lol

And you could easily pick up a couple neutered/spayed cats for free from a local shelter if you don't want them reproducing. Feed them a couple times just to keep near by and they won't be going anywhere. That is the way my grand parents controlled rats in their sheds.

Re: rats - 02/25/17 01:40 AM

Here Kitty Kitty.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum