Texas Hunting Forum

Cry when you harvest a deer?

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:47 PM

I'm tired of watching hunting show where the hunter cries when harvesting a deer. I think it is so contrived. I could be wrong. Do you cry? I never have.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:48 PM

Never have...
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:48 PM

No.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:50 PM

Never ever.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:51 PM

I'm tired of people calling killing a deer or other animal a harvest rather than what it is killing of an animal
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:52 PM

I'm tired of hunting shows.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:53 PM

Maybe he had just been to a "gender reveal" party and was still a little overwrought with emotion. confused2
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:54 PM

I kill, I do not cry. Of the few other hunters I know, they also kill and do not cry.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I'm tired of people calling killing a deer or other animal a harvest rather than what it is killing of an animal

Lol, why are you crying?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt

I don't do them at all.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:57 PM

I've never harvested a deer...killed some, never cried though.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

I don't do them at all.

Yeah, most I can't stand. Whitetail diaries, and meat eater are my favorites.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:00 PM

I don't cry and I don't jump up and down like I just won the lottery like some of those TV yahoos do.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:01 PM

I think you may be onto something here. Let's start a show called the Weeping Hunter. They can cry over their harvests and then be comforted by their pals while eating petit fours at wedding and baby showers. If we are lucky, it might catch a timeslot between The Kardashians and Real Housewives of Toledo!
Posted By: Gravytrain

How about when you fail to get a clean sight line on a clear monster? I think it's ok to tear up.
Posted By: Stompy

I've never cried but I have felt something, remorse, sadness, I don't know, hard to explain. Don't feel it everytime though.

Oh, and I don't watch hunting shows.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
How about when you fail to get a clean sight line on a clear monster? I think it's ok to tear up.

I still remember it like it was yesterday. Didn't feel like crying, but it haunted me for a long time.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:07 PM

Hunting shows are like watching Olympic coverage - 20 minutes of fluff, for 10 seconds of action. Pass...........

And never cried after a shot, but even at 50+ years, how I do still love the adrenaline bump!
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton

This is me too, The harvest thing sounds retarded.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:09 PM

THANK YOU! cheers happy3

Harvest: : the season when crops are gathered from the fields or the activity of gathering crops (Merriam-Webster)
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:09 PM

Did his Grandfather Cry ...That's the real story rofl

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Thundervee

Are y'all telling me it's not the proper use of the word? Or are you saying you don't like it? If that's the case why don't you like it?
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter

Are y'all telling me it's not the proper use of the word? Or are you saying you don't like it? If that's the case why don't you like it?

Harvest: : the season when crops are gathered from the fields or the activity of gathering crops (Merriam-Webster)
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:12 PM

Only when I missed that YUGE one.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:15 PM

I see wild animals as 3 things food, predators, and neusance and I don't feel bad for killing any of them actually I thouroughly enjoy killing some of them

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:15 PM

Are y'all telling me it's not the proper use of the word? YES Or are you saying you don't like it? YES If that's the case why don't you like it? Because #1

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:17 PM

Are y'all telling me it's not the proper use of the word? YES Or are you saying you don't like it? YES If that's the case why don't you like it? Because #1

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:18 PM

Some 'hunters' were never issued a man card, others give them up voluntarily.

I blame it on white sunglasses, flat bill caps, jeans with fancy bedazzled back pockets, worrying about what cammo to wear while sitting in a blind & lifted pickups that have never seen work.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:18 PM

Now can we get passed that?

No one I know cries when harvesting a deer. Just curious, it must be forced on the shows.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:27 PM

I teared up once in the deer stand because my buddy blew the nastiest fart known to man. bang
Posted By: rickym

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Gravytrain

Ive been pretty pissed about not getting a shot opportunity a time or two at a big buck the last couple seasons when i can see it through brush.

Nope, dont think ill ever cry over a deer. Not like I cant give it another go
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:28 PM

I cry when I run out of wild game that I murdered rofl

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:30 PM

No one I know cries when harvesting KILLING a deer. Just curious, it must be forced on the shows.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:33 PM

I cried once when I harvested an onion
Posted By: RayB

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:53 PM

I cried once when I killed a deer, I was shooting a 338 mag and my eye was too close to the scope when I launched a round. The very next week I had a muzzle break installed. Best money I ever spent
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 09:54 PM

I cry when I miss. That was 1974, 1987, and 2008. :-)

Don't talk to my brothers and cousins. They lie.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 10:04 PM

When I was a little kid I thought I'd cry when I shot my very own first deer but I didn't. I was taught if you want to shoot a deer, you will clean it and you will eat it!!! I've never cried. But I do cry when I see one that was hit on the road crying
Posted By: janie

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 10:05 PM

From a female perspective.

Cry?

LOL. No.

Some remorse? Maybe a little. That quickly goes away when we thank the Good Lord for allowing us to put food on the table.

Had no idea folks were crying on hunting programs, but I've never watched one.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 10:14 PM

No one I know cries when harvesting a deer. Just curious, it must be forced on the shows.

If you have to go down to Definition 3,B. then that doesn't count. roflmao

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Maybe he had just been to a "gender reveal" party and was still a little overwrought with emotion. confused2

This explains it....
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 10:30 PM

I don't use or like the term "harvest" when hunting, but it is a correct usage of the word.

I've never killed a deer, but I've never cried after killing an animal.
Posted By: GimmeABuck

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 10:34 PM

No. It's natural order and nothing to cry over.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 10:40 PM

I don't cry but I fill out harvest data on every deer I kill per TPWD HARVEST DATA form. grin

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 10:47 PM

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT DEER, IT SHOULD BE IN THE DEER HUNTING SECTION NOT OPEN.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 10:57 PM

Never. My youngest girl, now 29, did cry a little when she downed a buck last season, but she'd only killed one deer (13 pt. buck geekfreak) before, 15 years earlier with me! I told her he had a heckuva better life and died happier than all the cows that provided all the burgers and steaks she'd eaten all her life. She was fine in just a few minutes. She hasn't seen a lot of death. He twirled and was down, then gone, in about 5 seconds.

I've heard of guys crying when they down a bull elephant. Sadly, I'll probably never get a chance to see if I'd turn into a girlie man downing one with the damage our USFWS, listening to the out-of-touch liberals, have done. Elephants are doomed if the treehuggers get their way.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

I think I'll cry now........... lol35

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I don't cry but I fill out harvest data on every deer I kill per TPWD HARVEST DATA form. grin

roflmao
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

roflmao

I did come close to shedding a tear when I hunted with my Dad on his last hunt and took his best buck ever. I did choke up writing the recap when I posted it on here though. But he did kill that buck.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 11:08 PM

Not yet.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 11:10 PM

I often times break wind, but haven't ever cried.
Posted By: don k

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 11:17 PM

Maybe they are crying because it was either smaller than the guide said. Was taken HF and did not want anyone to know. Was taken with a 223 and did not want anyone to know. Three good reasons to have a good cry.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 11:24 PM

When deer play piano in the dark I cry just a little bit.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 11:47 PM

roflmao

I did come close to shedding a tear when I hunted with my Dad on his last hunt and took his best buck ever. I did choke up writing the recap when I posted it on here though. But he did kill that buck.

That was a Special Day and a Special Hunt Amigo...
Would give anything to sit with my Pops one more time and just talk. Dad and I had some of the greatest Talks driving while he counted Cows, to this day I never understood why he wanted to count cows bang As I age I think he just wanted that time together, I can still to this day see him getting out of his El Camino ( Sled) which ran off of Propane and he would use the Propane to air up the tires roflmao and be smoking a Winston bolt
He would be counting and I would turn around and see flames as the exhaust would start a grass fire... roflmao
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/18/16 11:56 PM

Dafuq
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 12:04 AM

I do use the word harvest, I feel it respects the animal more when describing the need or use of same. I feel the word kill is directed more towards the removal or eradication of such. I also did tear up once when I went to recover a deer I had shot and found it to be struggling to get away from me and in apparent pain. That was my fault for not making a better shot, I was forced to shoot the deer again. I might be way out of line on this and this is truly my own opinion and not to judge others but if there is no feeling of taking a life then yes that is killing! I am a Republican and will vote for Trump and I feel we should kill anyone who threatens to harm Americans on US Soil.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 12:09 AM

Me too!
Posted By: Erny

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 12:17 AM

I'm tired of watching hunting show where the hunter cries when harvesting a deer. I think it is so contrived. I could be wrong. Do you cry? I never have.

I watched a meat eater show where a first time hunter killed a cow elk. The women cried with, what she explained was both joy and sadness. I understand that and respect it. I have the same feeling when I kill an animal, but I don't cry. As far as I am concerned if you feel like crying when you kill a deer go for it, I would not think any less of the person.

As far as most hunting shows I think the crying a bunch of BS, contrived fro the camera.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Teacher, teacher, this is in the wrong section. Guess you don't like the use of the word "HARVEST"

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 12:26 AM

I wonder if a bullet going 3000 FPS hurts a deer less if you are harvesting it rather than killing it. I wonder if the deer cries when it's laying on the ground breathing its last breathe.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 12:48 AM

I once fell out of a climbing stand. I cried.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 12:57 AM

"Harvest" - Politically Correct term used when speaking among PETA members about field sports generally requiring the execution of an animal...... bolt

back Never cried, but did say a prayer or two thanking the Lord for letting me hunt and be successful.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 01:24 AM

I've never harvested a deer so I don't have a clue.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 01:32 AM

Why are y'all all crying about what someone else does? I don't give 2 chits what they call it! I guess if you gonna eat it then you harvested it, gathered it and then you eat it? So quit crying you bunch of crybabies
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 01:58 AM

roflmao

That was a Special Day and a Special Hunt Amigo...
Would give anything to sit with my Pops one more time and just talk. Dad and I had some of the greatest Talks driving while he counted Cows, to this day I never understood why he wanted to count cows bang As I age I think he just wanted that time together, I can still to this day see him getting out of his El Camino ( Sled) which ran off of Propane and he would use the Propane to air up the tires roflmao and be smoking a Winston bolt
He would be counting and I would turn around and see flames as the exhaust would start a grass fire... roflmao

That would be called fine remembrance.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
I do use the word harvest, I feel it respects the animal more when describing the need or use of same. I feel the word kill is directed more towards the removal or eradication of such. I also did tear up once when I went to recover a deer I had shot and found it to be struggling to get away from me and in apparent pain. That was my fault for not making a better shot, I was forced to shoot the deer again. I might be way out of line on this and this is truly my own opinion and not to judge others but if there is no feeling of taking a life then yes that is killing! I am a Republican and will vote for Trump and I feel we should kill anyone who threatens to harm Americans on US Soil.

This thread is giving me menstrual cramps. roflmao
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 02:17 AM

I cried after I missed a big ol' brut many years ago.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 02:18 AM

I cry when I see those huge bucks that were killed behind a high fence.
I cry even louder when I find out how much it cost to hunt there!

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
"Harvest" - Politically Correct term used when speaking among PETA members about field sports generally requiring the execution of an animal...... bolt

back Never cried, but did say a prayer or two thanking the Lord for letting me hunt and be successful.

Yeah, I hate Peta but, I use it because I think its the proper use of the word. I mean I kill roaches, but I harvest deer. That's how I see it. Don't really think it's worth getting upset over.
Posted By: webb1974

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 02:50 AM

I always thought it was crazy when they cried or even got really emotional. This year kind of changed my perspective. My 13yr old son killed a 195" Muley on a diy hunt in southern Colorado with a muzzleloader. I still didn't cry and neither did he but the hug was a little longer than normal.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:02 AM

I unapologetically kill deer. It's legal and necessary for the overall good of the heard. And it's good in my belly and looks good on my wall.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I unapologetically kill deer. It's legal and necessary for the overall good of the heard. And it's good in my belly and looks good on my wall.

See, difference is I don't care what people call it. You can call it murder, or instead of field dressing you can call it disembowel. I'm not gonna tell you you can't use those words. Like I used to tell my kids they are just words. You give them their meaning.
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:15 AM

I "harvest" crops and kill deer, and don't cry for either one....

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:27 AM

Apparently Utah hunters cry when a Texan shoots a big sheep up there.
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:35 AM

I don't cry when I shoot a deer or other animal. I don't feel remorse, and I don't jump up and down and pump my fist like I'm on steroids. I don't thank Yahweh, Allah, Jesus, Paul Mauser, Samuel Colt or anyone else either. If I have to track it, I say bad words because I'm a lousy tracker. But once I find it, I just take a picture of the animal and get busy cutting it up.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Harrier
I don't cry when I shoot a deer or other animal. I don't feel remorse, and I don't jump up and down and pump my fist like I'm on steroids. I don't thank Yahweh, Allah, Jesus, Paul Mauser, Samuel Colt or anyone else either. If I have to track it, I say bad words because I'm a lousy tracker. But once I find it, I just take a picture of the animal and get busy cutting it up.
cheers
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Harrier

... unless I'm on a paid hunt. Then I make sure to thank the guide, and I stand around offering helpful comments while HE gets busy cutting up my animal.
Posted By: spg

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 04:25 AM

Cry when I'm working and its the rut. Make matters worse I work in Africa 28/28 rotation, love my job when I'm home, hate it when its hunting season.
Posted By: ARC Africa Safaris

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 05:58 AM

I cried once when I harvested an onion

rofl crying
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 10:53 AM

violin I cried reading all of the post on this topic..... flush
Posted By: Erny

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 12:08 PM

lol35

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: webb1974
I always thought it was crazy when they cried or even got really emotional. This year kind of changed my perspective. My 13yr old son killed a 195" Muley on a diy hunt in southern Colorado with a muzzleloader. I still didn't cry and neither did he but the hug was a little longer than normal.

I was surprised at how emotional I was over my daughters' first kills. I was pretty emotional when I took my desert sheep too - I guess the combination of being so blessed to draw the tag and all the work to get a ram was a little overwhelming.

So I'm not going to throw stones at honest emotion. But most of it on the silly TV shows is fake, not honest.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 01:13 PM

flame Several times while sitting in my blind over the years I've been brought to tears. However it is almost always due to my releasing the percolating noise my gut makes while hunting. flush
Sometimes the tears are from the Sulphur smell, and other times it is my laughing like a child about the noises that come from under my jacket.
bolt
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 02:56 PM

Well I have to tell you that last year my 10 year old daughter harvested her first deer -- perfect 150 yd shot to the vitals like we had talked about and practiced. Her older sister and I were in the blind with her and their reaction when we walked up it is what brought tears to my eyes...

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:02 PM

^^^AWESOME^^^THAT RIGHT THERE^^^^

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:08 PM

up
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:09 PM

I cried when my six year old boy slammed his first buck and it was a 12 pt. He ran to it and hugged it and gave thanks to God as he looked up at an orange sky.

I knew I raised my boy right.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:10 PM

Good Stuff Red up
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:13 PM

Real good stuff, Wac & Redsnake. Almost brings a tear to my eye remembering my children's first deer.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: webb1974

I was surprised at how emotional I was over my daughters' first kills. I was pretty emotional when I took my desert sheep too - I guess the combination of being so blessed to draw the tag and all the work to get a ram was a little overwhelming.

So I'm not going to throw stones at honest emotion. But most of it on the silly TV shows is fake, not honest.

My thoughts exactly. It's a big show for tv

That Alaska show with the kiltchers the daughter shot a deer and was crying for like 15 min. They churched up up for tv.

Then a few scenes later they shot a grouse.....no emotion there.

Imo they still oversell the "we feel bad for killing" Schtick because they believe the non-hunting public will be able to swallow it better if there is remorse Involved

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
flame Several times while sitting in my blind over the years I've been brought to tears. However it is almost always due to my releasing the percolating noise my gut makes while hunting. flush
Sometimes the tears are from the Sulphur smell, and other times it is my laughing like a child about the noises that come from under my jacket.
bolt

That's a Boil Maker. I believe there's a college that calls themselves the Boilmakers.
Posted By: janie

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:24 PM

RedSnake, those 1st two pic's of your daughter's are awesome and priceless. up
Posted By: Eastwood

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:25 PM

I knew a guy that would get so worked up after shooting a deer that he would puke.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:25 PM

Passing it on to the kids like RedSnake and Wacm above is what I too enjoy the most these days.
They grow up fast and as the song sings You're gonna miss this / You're gonna want this back / You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast / These are some good times…

I hunt animals and I don't cry when I take 'em. Kill and eat 'em. I don't look to stir the pot with the antis so I don't object to the word harvest but we know better.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 03:53 PM

I never get emotional when I kill an animal that will be used to nourish the bodies of me and my family (or any other animal except for a few dogs that I didn't want to shoot). That is what they are here for, and I am grateful to them. Things did get a little blurry when my two oldest kids took their first deer. Those were special moments and their reaction of walking up on their kill was priceless. All that work, time at the range, time hunting, here it is on the ground. Big hugs, good times.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: janie
RedSnake, those 1st two pic's of your daughter's are awesome and priceless. up
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
I cried when my six year old boy slammed his first buck and it was a 12 pt. He ran to it and hugged it and gave thanks to God as he looked up at an orange sky.

I knew I raised my boy right.

I'd have cried then too. up
My boy (7 at the time) cried when I killed 4 baby pigs while we were out hunting. He got over it when I explained how they were destroying the beautiful native pastures where we hunt...and I told him the babies were the tastiest.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 05:34 PM

rofl
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 06:48 PM

Dad and I were in the stand last winter and there were deer all around. Then I heard a sigh and whimper. I turned to see Dad was holding the bottle upside down and then I began to whimper. We had harvested the last bottle of Cazadores in camp. We were just upset cause my brother was still 45 minutes out with a new one we were going to harvest, kill, shoot or whatever you want to call it. roflmao
Posted By: roughneck266

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 06:51 PM

There's no crying in hunting!
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 06:54 PM

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 10:22 PM

No, but I'll never forget the time when I shot a doe and a young fawn appeared immediately after. It was so young it remained nearby when I drug the doe over to my ATV to load her, and was still in the area the next day. I was hunting a fire lane in a heavily wooded area and the fawn didn't appear in the road until after I had dropped the doe.

I have not killed a doe with a fawn since, even one that may have just lost its spots.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 10:36 PM

After I kill, harvest, catch, down, shoot, whatever a deer, I don't cry. I thank God for blessing me with the great outdoors and the opportunities associated with them and for my dad for getting me into it. No point in crying.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/19/16 11:16 PM

Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 10:52 AM

I only cry when I DON'T harvest one... lol
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 01:42 PM

Yeah, it makes me sick to. It's like they're attempting to appeal to a group of people who don't hunt anyways. Another thing I am tired of on hunting show is all the backstory's of "sacrifice" made by the family, the hunter, etc... Don't care, we all make sacrifices and I would NEVER sacrifice responsibilities with family, work, etc.. .for hunting no matter how much I loved it AND if it your job, making hunting shows, your not sacrificing, you're working! Finally, I love God, I am a Christian, though probably not what God would consider a good Christian, but enough with the prayers and thanks for the harvest. Trust me, God has better things to do than making sure you get a chance at killing a Boone & Crockett. My two cents for what it's worth.
Posted By: Baldpate

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 03:47 PM

I make no apologies, concealments or socially correct rationalizations and why I hunt and why I kill deer. I hunt them, not to harvest them. I draw life’s breath from pursuing game, not suffocate from it. I celebrate a bone chilling. frigid morning not despise it. I find comfort in the solitude of the hunt, not fear it. I bear witness to the end of an animal's existence during the hunt, not avoid the reality that mortality is inevitably part of the hunt. In the end, I am a predator. I hunt, I kill and I eat. As a Hunter, I embrace the kill, I don't make excuses for it.”

Peter Fiduccia 1984
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
No, but I'll never forget the time when I shot a doe and a young fawn appeared immediately after. It was so young it remained nearby when I drug the doe over to my ATV to load her, and was still in the area the next day. I was hunting a fire lane in a heavily wooded area and the fawn didn't appear in the road until after I had dropped the doe.

I have not killed a doe with a fawn since, even one that may have just lost its spots.

This same thing happened to me but it stayed in the field for the next two days. That last day I felt terrible knowing what was most likely going to happened to that fawn.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 03:59 PM

I cry when I miss one.......LOL
Posted By: chicklitter

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 05:08 PM

I teared up after I shot my first deer and first walked up to it. Haven't cried at one since then. But I cry at just about anything, so I'm not sure I'm a good reference point for that. wink
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 07:47 PM

I've never cried or acted a fool after shooting anything. With that said, my heart beats out of my chest and I get sweaty even on a cold morning when I see deer, pigs or turkeys. I may get flamed for the following comment, but here it goes.

I struggle when these hunting show guys start praying and thanking God for the deer they just shot. I'm a Christian and believe in prayer, but not sure God is overly concerned about whether I kill a deer or not. I pray for safety when hunting, traveling to/from the lease, and I recognize God's amazing creations. I'll also give thanks for the abundance God has blessed me with which allows me to hunt. That said, I've never prayed for the opportunity to shoot a deer, or prayed thanking God for the kill is just made. Maybe it's just me, but I cringe just a little when guys pray for God to give them a deer to kill.
Posted By: lk05077

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 08:03 PM

9 year old daughter shed a few tears after her first deer last week. Asked why she was sad. She said I am not just so happy I got the deer now let's go get it so I can cut it up.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
I've never cried or acted a fool after shooting anything. With that said, my heart beats out of my chest and I get sweaty even on a cold morning when I see deer, pigs or turkeys. I may get flamed for the following comment, but here it goes.

I struggle when these hunting show guys start praying and thanking God for the deer they just shot. I'm a Christian and believe in prayer, but not sure God is overly concerned about whether I kill a deer or not. I pray for safety when hunting, traveling to/from the lease, and I recognize God's amazing creations. I'll also give thanks for the abundance God has blessed me with which allows me to hunt. That said, I've never prayed for the opportunity to shoot a deer, or prayed thanking God for the kill is just made. Maybe it's just me, but I cringe just a little when guys pray for God to give them a deer to kill.

It says in the bible you do not have because you do not ask....so that tells me if we want something we should ask for it

I've thanked God on several occasions for animals I just killed
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

It says in the bible you do not have because you do not ask....so that tells me if we want something we should ask for it

Great point.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 09:39 PM

That's pretty much me. I am grateful for blessings, but my prayers are not for normal things resulting from human endeavors. I don't pray for big deer, money, courtroom wins, etc. I do pray for His peace, comfort, and wisdom. And I pray for health, healing, and protection.

There have been exceptions during specific crisis times when I pray for certain outcomes. Maybe that's selfish but I think He understands. Everyone is led differently at different times regarding these things. I don't judge others' prayers. That's between them and God.
Posted By: DMW

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 09:55 PM

I don't cry when I KILL a deer. I don't "harvest" anything............I am not a farmer. Farmers harvest;Hunters KILL (sometimes!)
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 10:23 PM

maybe it sounds better to HARVEST democrats
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/20/16 11:08 PM

When a forum member sent me pics of a deer he'd killed last year it almost made me tear up...it was proof that as jacked up as the world is, miracles still happen.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/21/16 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Baldpate
I make no apologies, concealments or socially correct rationalizations and why I hunt and why I kill deer. I hunt them, not to harvest them. I draw life’s breath from pursuing game, not suffocate from it. I celebrate a bone chilling. frigid morning not despise it. I find comfort in the solitude of the hunt, not fear it. I bear witness to the end of an animal's existence during the hunt, not avoid the reality that mortality is inevitably part of the hunt. In the end, I am a predator. I hunt, I kill and I eat. As a Hunter, I embrace the kill, I don't make excuses for it.”

Peter Fiduccia 1984

I like that quote! Is that from a book? I'd like to read it.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/21/16 12:35 PM

I shake a lot and get a rush after I have shot a deer. Then when I find it, pride sets in and I feel like I have accomplished something great. lol
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/21/16 12:44 PM

I shot my first deer last year. I made a fist pump and smiled. There is no crying in baseball!!!!
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/21/16 12:48 PM

I believe hunting show ediqite requires crying and using the term Harvest while thanking your sponsors at the same time. Loud mouth breathing might be part of it too.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/21/16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Great point.

Showing faith has a time and place. Sometimes it is good to show others faith sometimes it is just that a show.

I pray for many of the same things. I also thank God for the animals life when it expires. I also pray for a clean kill every time. With so many variables and the suffering that is possible. Everything is in his hands in life no matter how small or inconsequential it may seem to us. Every moment has a purpose. Hard work and prayer makes a difference. No matter how small the task or relevance/correlation to something greater that is easily seen.

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/21/16 07:58 PM

I shot a hog a while back I was pretty pumped. When I got back to the truck I looked down and a huge cactus thorn was stuck in my shin and I didn't even feel it. When I yanked it out it started burning like crazy I almost shed a tear. Then i remember pain is weakness leaving the body and I went to look for more pigs to slaughter.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/21/16 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
I kill, I do not cry. Of the few other hunters I know, they also kill and do not cry.

I only cry when I do not kill rifle grill
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/22/16 02:50 PM

I cry when i DONT shoot a deer.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/25/16 01:31 AM

I don't cry but I do say thanks to our maker.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/25/16 01:49 AM

Just give thanks. To me though it is always an emotional experience. Respect for life and death. That is hunting and our heritage. Whether a doe or buck I always give thanks.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/25/16 02:30 AM

I usually pat the deer on the belly and say thank you.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/25/16 03:28 AM

I cried once when I was 16 and my mom died. Can't remember doing it since.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/25/16 02:51 PM

We bought our place after my Grandparents died. First buck I killed on it, I will admit, was very emotional for me. Not because of the deer's death, but because my Grandparents weren't there to experience it with me. I think about them just about every day....Losing family will definitely make a grown man cry.
Posted By: southern_fowler

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/25/16 11:07 PM

Bunch of hard asses on here, I could not control myself when I walked up on this guy.

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/25/16 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

Bullcrap. Didn't cry when your kids were born or anything?
Posted By: tlk

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/26/16 12:05 AM

If a man does not cry at times about his family or a sad story then something is not right. If it is about a child taking their first deer that is all ok too. Only exception is on a hunting show on TV and the same guy does it on a 110 inch deer - really?

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/26/16 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: passthru

Bullcrap. Didn't cry when your kids were born or anything?
I cried a lot when I was 12 and my brother who was 8 died. I didn't cry again until my last homecoming ceremony from Afghanistan. A month or so into the deployment I didn't expect to ever see my son again bc I didn't think I'd make it back. When he hugged me I teared up that was 20 years between crying. Not a hard [censored] just don't get emotional often.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Cry when you harvest a deer? - 10/27/16 07:42 PM

I cried when I was little and shot my first bird.

I cried when I shot my first deer.

I haven't shot many deer at all but have felt sad after every one that I've killed.

Some things are easier to kill to me than others.

Killed a ton of ducks and it doesn't make me feel the way it does when I kill a deer.

Just the way I am I guess.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum