Texas Hunting Forum

Spooky Hunting Tales?

Posted By: Bittercreek

Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 01:51 AM

Deer Season upon us. Halloween Near.
Anyone have Spooky-Hunting Tales, to Share?
Posted By: maximum

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 03:17 AM

i always walk out. early in the dark of one morning
everything lit up overhead and when i looked up i saw
the shape of the concorde sst in lights above me for a
few seconds, then it went out. it was deathly quiet, no
dogs or coyotes barking, no crickets, no distant highway
noise. the shape looked maybe a mile long and a half a
mile wide. i found out later it was part of the taurid
meteor shower. i still went on out. they could have had
me anyway if it was some of those ufo folks.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 10:11 AM

popcorn
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 03:33 PM

Had a weird one this weekend, and s few others in years past. My place seems to be frequented with what we call "Visitors". Had it for 5 or 6 years now and people think its haunted.
1. Last years experience was pretty freaky. I climbed up in the stand on crisp cool morning just before sun up. Right as the saw started to light up the sky I heard laughter and it sounded like children running and playing in the creek bottom behind me. They were talking in a language other than Spanish or English so I could not understand what they were saying. The noise finally stopped when what seemed they had reached the end of the creek but I never saw anyone come out.

2. This last weekend was really weird. I was making my bedtime call to the wife to let her know I was turning in for the night, once I'm inside the signal is lost. I'm walking up the driveway talking to my wife for about 5 or 6 minutes when she asks "who is this?", I'm telling her its me and she started calling my name and saying she is going to hang up now and I need to call her back. I tried calling back but kept getting just voicemail. Finally she calls me back says who was out there and that she was freaking out because she could here someone saying "He's mine, he belongs to us" It took me a little while to assure her everything was okay and that my hunting buddy and his son were already in for the night. Sunday morning I'm packing up to leave and my buddy's son asks me if I believe in ghosts. I chuckled and asked why. He said "I had to get up last night because I heard someone talking by the fire. I looked out and there were 2 shadows but you and Dad were still sleeping, so I knew it wasn't you guys. I got freaked out and made the dog sleep by the door."
confused2
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
Had a weird one this weekend, and s few others in years past. My place seems to be frequented with what we call "Visitors". Had it for 5 or 6 years now and people think its haunted.
1. Last years experience was pretty freaky. I climbed up in the stand on crisp cool morning just before sun up. Right as the saw started to light up the sky I heard laughter and it sounded like children running and playing in the creek bottom behind me. They were talking in a language other than Spanish or English so I could not understand what they were saying. The noise finally stopped when what seemed they had reached the end of the creek but I never saw anyone come out.

2. This last weekend was really weird. I was making my bedtime call to the wife to let her know I was turning in for the night, once I'm inside the signal is lost. I'm walking up the driveway talking to my wife for about 5 or 6 minutes when she asks "who is this?", I'm telling her its me and she started calling my name and saying she is going to hang up now and I need to call her back. I tried calling back but kept getting just voicemail. Finally she calls me back says who was out there and that she was freaking out because she could here someone saying "He's mine, he belongs to us" It took me a little while to assure her everything was okay and that my hunting buddy and his son were already in for the night. Sunday morning I'm packing up to leave and my buddy's son asks me if I believe in ghosts. I chuckled and asked why. He said "I had to get up last night because I heard someone talking by the fire. I looked out and there were 2 shadows but you and Dad were still sleeping, so I knew it wasn't you guys. I got freaked out and made the dog sleep by the door."
confused2

I'd be finding a new place to hunt, bud!
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 04:00 PM

In hs we used to hunt a public lake, our favorite spot was through an access point in the middle of nowhere. One morning we were walking back out to the access point through the woods when we passed an old man on his way in. Guy looked to be in his late 60's, and was wearing khaki pants with a khaki long sleeve shirt, green fleece vest, and one of the old timey hunting hats that oxner still wears. He had a sxs broke over one shoulder and a half dozen wooden decoys slung over the other. As we passed him we both said good morning to him and he tipped his hat, no words. Got up to the access point entrance a minute or two later and our truck was the only one parked there. So, either the guy walked several miles, got dropped off by a friend, or was a ghost.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: CRAnderson52

confused2

I'd be finding a new place to hunt, bud!

I hear that from friends that come out. They always ask "When are you going to take us out to your place?" I say come on lets go. Some never say anything but don't ever ask to come out anymore others tell me what they saw and I just tell them "yep stuff like that randomly happens out here" I have a buddy that stays out there and he said it took some getting used to at first but he thinks he has a good relationship with the land and what's on it now. Children seem to have the most experiences there though. I think they can sense that stuff better than adults can.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 06:12 PM

1. Last years experience was pretty freaky. I climbed up in the stand on crisp cool morning just before sun up. Right as the saw started to light up the sky I heard laughter and it sounded like children running and playing in the creek bottom behind me. They were talking in a language other than Spanish or English so I could not understand what they were saying. The noise finally stopped when what seemed they had reached the end of the creek but I never saw anyone come out. . . .

these things are strange ^ ^
a while back i had stopped at an old cemetery near my place that
dates back to the early 1800's. there's always at least 2 deer that
stay in the n.e. corner near the thick woods, and lots of birds in the
trees. when i stepped out of the truck, there was the sound of several
kids laughing and playing. i'm alone, no deer in the corner, no birds
anywhere. as i get to the gate and open it, the kids stop laughing.
there's no houses around for at least 3 or 4 miles, and the road is
hilly enough to discourage modern kids from walking or bike riding
to where it ends at the cemetery. weird weird weird
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 06:43 PM

Spookiest thing I have had to deal with was a 200 lb boar at 10 yards or less sitting indian style on the ground leaned up next to a mesquite tree with my bow about 30 minutes before daylight. He laid down on the ground under 10 yards from me on the other side of a mesquite bush and waited for the feeder to go off. I was never so happy that when the arrow struck its mark that he ran the other way!

Yal can keep the ghosts!
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 06:58 PM

No more ghost stories. It will ruin my deer season and I will only hunt at noon.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 07:07 PM

I have some 'spirits' at my place

They used to mess with me but lately have left me alone

keep the stories coming ,,,,

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 07:17 PM

clap popcorn
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 07:35 PM

Never believed in ghosts, wife and I had some experiences in a very old lodge in the Gila where a man was murdered over a land dispute back in 1935. I can say I believe now. Still Elk hunt there but we won't stay in the lodge again. After our experiences the owner confessed to stange things going on for a long time and told us of some things he and his wife and other guests have experienced.

Things like lights being turned off, blankets being pulled down, loud walking up and down the hallway at 2-3am, strong smell of cigarette smoke being blown in your face when no one is around, womens hair being brushed out of their face when sleeping, the bed sinking in like someone sat on it. Weird crap for sure.

The first night we stayed in the lodge the wife woke me up telling me to quit messing with her hair. 15 minutes later I hear someone walking down the hallway in cowboy boots at about 3am, got up but no one was there and we were the only ones sleeping in the lodge. As I was about to fall asleep again it felt like someone sat on the edge of the bed at my feet. That was the first night and the only night we had issues. The next year the wife and I were alone in the lodge during the day looking at old pictures when we both smelled very strong cigarette smoke being blown in our face.
Over the years since we've heard many stories from people that work there. I found the story about the guy getting shot on the steps, back then it was an old general store and post office.

If you would like to read about it, it was Aron Inmam killing Robert Ake at Beaverhead NM.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 07:45 PM

I was sitting on my treestand before light deep in the Sam Houston National Forest. When my eyes were good and adjusted to the dark, I saw a woman in a white dress standing on the edge of the small clearing I was hunting. I could make her out and she was looking directly at me. My hair was about standing on end. I'm wondering what in the hell is she doing way out here and why is she just standing there looking at me!

It was a climbing treestand so I wasn't going to be able to get down quickly. I decided to just wait until light and then see what was going on. I am never scared of being in the woods in the dark, but I had the willies something fierce.

As the sun started to come up and I could see better, I realized what was on the edge of the clearing was not a woman in a white dress, but an old tree stump about head high where the bark had fallen off and the wood had turned silver.

The mind is a curious thing. Sometimes you can't even believe your own eyes.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 07:46 PM

There was another thread like this one. http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4596552/Re:__Spooky_stories?#Post4596552

I posted this on that one in 2013. I guess things are still happening from time to time on my place.

Might sound crazy but my place is haunted. We have more than one experience on it. If other people wouldn't have experienced stuff I wouldn't even be posting.

Mine was "I was following Dad to the stand but he seemed to have walked too far passed it. I asked him where he was going and when he answered he was behind me. I have no Idea who i was following it was just me and my Dad and there is no livestock on my place. It looked like an persons outline so I thought it was my father."

Another time My nephews were playing in an old trailer on the place and started yelling stranger. We we went to investigate and they said that a dark man was standing there watching them and he went into the well house. We never found anything. No footprints or signs.

One of my buddies was steadily talking and I was getting something from the truck. When I walked back up to him and asked who he was talking to he freaked out. He said he wasn't expecting me to come from that direction because he was talking to me and saw me standing at the other corner of the trailer.

These are just a few things. Other people have had things they can't explain happen as well.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 07:55 PM

Great I have a small family cemetery about 25 feet from my house... so far no ghosts and I want to keep it that way.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 07:56 PM

Well, not exactly the same thing, but I have a BiL that's a bit afraid of the dark, or was. Years ago he was hunting with my Dad and I was a few hundred yards from them. It had been agreed that we'd all walk out together, since we came in the same truck. Well after dark I found my Dad, about where I expected him to be, but no BiL. I asked where he was. Dad said they'd been standing right in that spot till a bobcat or cougar screamed (I was upwind and didn't hear it). Dad said he turned, in the dark, to say something to the BiL, but he was GONE. With my flashlight, we found a glove. Walking toward where the truck was, we found another glove, some TP, face mask, etc. the BiL had run full tilt to the truck, in the dark, down a muddy road, shedding or dropping gear. And yes, he took heat for that for years.

But a real scary or creepy situation, in all those years, never happened to me, that I can remember.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 08:14 PM

Here's one more form the can the dead communicate thread.. Now that I think about it. Anybody want to buy a place, it's cheap. lol...

My place out in the country has a lot going. Others besides just myself have had experiences like hearing whispering or laughter, smelling smoke where there is no fire. One strange encounter my wife had was when our 2 boys were out chasing rabbits, she said as she was walking she heard someone tell her to "turn back", it freaked her out so she came back to the house. After she was back and she was telling me about it we heard a shot so we went to investigate. The boys had shot a huge cottonmouth about 20' up the trail from where my wife said she turned around. I don't know who or what told her to turn back but I'm glad she listened. Only cottonmouth ever seen on my place and haven't seen any since.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 08:50 PM

Here's one more form the can the dead communicate thread.. Now that I think about it. Anybody want to buy a place, it's cheap. lol...

My place out in the country has a lot going. Others besides just myself have had experiences like hearing whispering or laughter, smelling smoke where there is no fire. One strange encounter my wife had was when our 2 boys were out chasing rabbits, she said as she was walking she heard someone tell her to "turn back", it freaked her out so she came back to the house. After she was back and she was telling me about it we heard a shot so we went to investigate. The boys had shot a huge cottonmouth about 20' up the trail from where my wife said she turned around. I don't know who or what told her to turn back but I'm glad she listened. Only cottonmouth ever seen on my place and haven't seen any since.

Not sure about that being bad! Sounds more like a guardian angel. I need one!

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
Never believed in ghosts,

blankets being pulled down,

this happened to me several times

perfectly straight down to the foot of my bed

it was winter, so can't say that I kicked the blanket out

and the feeling of 'being watched' and cold chills entering the small of my back

smell of dead body at a particular spot in the carpet ,,, but only once in a while
Posted By: East

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 09:15 PM

Was hunting with a buddy at his families place a 3-4 years back. One morning we were in a blind on the top of a hill over looking a pasture that backed up to the river bottoms. Out of no where an elderly woman with a sleeveless shirt walked out across the pasture then back into the bottoms. We yelled for her to get her attention thinking she might need help. Then went down there but could never find her, or her tracks. This was a cold morning too, high 20s low 30s so it was definitely strange.

I had actually forgot about it, but he brought it up the other day

Not really spooky just odd

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/10/16 10:34 PM

I love this kind of thread - what have you seen or heard - they get my full attention every time as I've seen some strange....stuff over the years. Here is one.

Background - I'm from southeastern Oklahoma, and home of the Chickasaw Nation. I am not Chickasaw, but we had lots of friends who were. One had told us stories about Little People and staginis. Google them, but Little People cause mischief (kind of like Sancho), and stiginis are the shapeshifted being of man - usually an owl, wolf, or other predator.

Okay, 30 years ago, I was still in high school, my buddy invited me to join him and his younger brothers to hunt at his grandfather's ranch in central Texas. GREAT! As a group we shot several deer and were having a blast. One evening we decided to go rabbit hunting after dark, and while hunting started telling ghost stories, and one of the tales was that of stiginis and a long yarn that went with it. My buddy then started telling the story of having to clean out an old farm house of a couple that has both passed away, and while cleaning, hearing the sound of a rocking chair creak near a corner window where the farmer usually sat in the evenings. It freaked my buddy out, and he refused to finish cleaning the house. Well, that land and house was on a small piece that was cut out of his grandfather's ranch, so when the couple died, his grandfather had purchased the property so it was back on his place - that was the reason he had sent my buddy to clean the house.

As we are telling these stories, we decide to put the finishing touches on scaring the younger brothers, and go hunt rabbits on the land where the old farmhouse still stands. We jump in a pickup for the short drive down the county road, make a right into the drive, and stop at a locked gate. I got out of truck, unlock and open gate, swing it open, and as the truck pulls forward, standing rock solid in the middle of the two track is the world's largest barn owl. He doesn't budge, and is standing less than 30' from the corner of the farmhouse, and the corner window where the old farmer sat rocking.

I get in the truck, and tell my buddy to honk and see if the owl will fly away - my buddy tells me in no uncertain terms what I can do with that idea, he backs out of drive, I relock gate, and we call it a night. In the years since, it gives me goosebumps to remember that incident.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/11/16 12:26 AM

Not a ghost story, but nothing like stalking pigs in a wheat field at night with NV gear and flushing doves or quail. Also, nothing like a pump jack turning on when your standing next to it at night while pinhuntingbin said field. I swear that pump jack had an evil soul and knows when I'm stanidng next to it at night. No telling how many cuss words I drop when hear things happen.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/11/16 02:29 AM

Great thread and enjoy the stories. I have never had anything truly creepy happen to me. confused2
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/11/16 02:46 AM

While bow hunting 30 years ago from a tree stand about 15' above a game trail I had a doe and 2 yearlings move up the trail toward me. I decided to take the doe as it was late in the season and the yearlings were mature enough to fend for themselves. I hit the doe high in the back and a bit far back. I watched the doe run off with the arrow fletch deep in her back. I searched for the doe for about 5 hours after the limited blood trail I had disappeared. I eventually gave up and went home. I went back the following Saturday to the same stand. When I reached the stand it was still dark and to my surprise in the light of my flash lite I found the arrow I shoot the deer with the week before at the base of the tree. It was broken in three pieces and was under the first step on the tree. As I thought about it I broke out in a cold sweat as to this day I cannot understand how that arrow in 3 pieces got back to that stand.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/11/16 04:21 AM

We don't have a spooky story. All we have is two brothers that hang out at our lake campground place north of town and the other place west of town on our Colorado River place. According to my son Michael the brothers are Smokey Joe and Smokey Jack. Every year around the campfire he gathers all the grandkids and tells them the stories how these two brothers were raised along the river in a cave and in his childhood how he met up he met up with them. According to Michael Smokey Jack took up residence on top of his camper and in the Spring made his way north of town to our summer campground. I get skeered as the grans listening to him. confused2
Posted By: billybob

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/11/16 09:26 AM

You all need slow down on the drinking and turn in your cards

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/11/16 11:41 AM

peep

popcorn
Posted By: PMK

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/11/16 03:18 PM

I guess this could apply to this thread ... years ago in high school (circa mid 1970s), some of my HS buddies and I went to see the movie The Legend of Boggy Creek in the local theater. After we got out of the movie, we decided to go coon hunting out on one of the guys (Robert) dad's ranch that had a small stream running thru it. We were in my car, only had 1 flashlight and 1 lever action 22 but there were 4 of us, Robert, Bret, Mike and I. We made our way down the creek to the neighbor's fence line without seeing any eyes. Robert had permission from the neighbor to headlight for coons, so over the fence we go. There is a tree line down the creek and a plowed terraced field to the left where we are walking. Robert has the flashlight, I have the gun and the other two were watching for eyes. We had gone probably 300-400 yards down this field when Robert swung the flashlight beam out across the field and stopped in his tracks saying "what was that?" ... The rest of us are looking around where he shines the light and asked "well what did it look like?" He just said he wasn't sure, just something big but it dropped down behind one of the terraces. We all got a little uneasy since we had just watched the Legend of Boggy Creek and all, but we keep going. We went another 40-50 yards and he swings the light out across the field again and screams "IT'S HEADING THIS WAY!!!" and then he proceeded to haul butt back towards his dad's place, leaving the other 3 of us in pitch blackness with something possibly heading our way. We all scrambled trying to run thru a plowed field following the rapidly disappearing flashlight. We can hear something coming up behind us, so we are really flying as best we could in the dark. We finally get to the fence as Robert is hitting the ground on the other side. this is a darn good fence, light mid chest high 9 strand barbed wire. I run up to the H brace and am in a mad panic to get over quickly knowing something is about to "get" me. As I cleared the top of the fence, something grabs my leg eeks333 and I lunge forward falling flat of my face into the dirt/rocks on the other side but "it" still had me. The other two guys finally get over the fence and start tugging on my arms flaying in the darkness, all screaming bloody murder ... then ... we hear Robert belly rolling he was laughing roflmao so hard and he walks out of the brush a few feet from the fence. he shines the flashlight to see my jeans leg was tangled in the top barbed wire of the fence. He couldn't stop laughing he had scared us all so bad with his little stunt. He started planning it all out about the time we first crossed the fence thinking back about the movie. That was over 40 years ago and it still makes us all chuckle when we get together.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/11/16 03:59 PM

Hillary Clinton is elected and thru EA makes the 2A obsolete and guns illegal or too expensive to shoot. That spooky enough for you?
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/11/16 05:55 PM

I do...I do... I do believe in spooks!
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/11/16 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
I went to see the movie The Legend of Boggy Creek in the local theater.

I'm a couple years behind you, but I remember seeing that movie and it scaring the crap out of me for years. Drove through Fouke, AR where the legend lives several times back in the mid 90's. It's still big business there.

Charlie
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/12/16 12:03 AM

popcorn agh, campfire stories banana2 flag
Posted By: rex47

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/12/16 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Flashprism
While bow hunting 30 years ago from a tree stand about 15' above a game trail I had a doe and 2 yearlings move up the trail toward me. I decided to take the doe as it was late in the season and the yearlings were mature enough to fend for themselves. I hit the doe high in the back and a bit far back. I watched the doe run off with the arrow fletch deep in her back. I searched for the doe for about 5 hours after the limited blood trail I had disappeared. I eventually gave up and went home. I went back the following Saturday to the same stand. When I reached the stand it was still dark and to my surprise in the light of my flash lite I found the arrow I shoot the deer with the week before at the base of the tree. It was broken in three pieces and was under the first step on the tree. As I thought about it I broke out in a cold sweat as to this day I cannot understand how that arrow in 3 pieces got back to that stand.

some one found the deer with the arrow, knew where the stand was broke arrow and put it under stand as a message.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/12/16 01:15 PM

If they had been around your feeder... they could have been Children Of The Corn! bolt

confused2
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/12/16 01:42 PM

Very entertaining, thanks.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/12/16 02:18 PM

Scared the crap out of us at the time, but is funny now - two buddies and I were hunting opening day of duck season - it was a year where the 1st fell on a Saturday so Halloween was the night before. We were in college and had decide to leave the party to get out extremely early and chill vs. going home for an hour or two and risk not wanting to get back up. We're in the middle of a flooded field surrounded by thick timber, swapping ghost stories (full moon) when out of no where this "woman" starts screaming. We're miles from anywhere and we all about shat ourselves. Obviously it was a mountain lion, but I think we all about fell out of our chairs and then stood back to back with our guns for the next two hours.

Wife and I have some kind of spirit (didn't use to believe in that crap, but do now) that followed us from our apartment to her parents house (where we lived while our house was being built). Luckily it stayed at her parents house. In fact, my MIL called her yesterday and told her to come and get her damn ghost and take it home with us. She just had knee surgery so has been sleeping the recliner in the living room. Said she's awoken numerous times to something pulling her hair, throwing the TV remote on the floor, and just the overall feeling of something staring at her. Stuff gets moved around all the time, cabinets open, doors slam...real creepy stuff.

We have some benign stuff happen at our house - sometimes in the middle of the night we have both woken up to hear children's voices and laughter, dogs will sit and watch stuff, a while back when the wife was gone to a movie with her Mom I was sitting on the couch and one of my labs looks into the bedroom, hair stands straight up, and then he starts growling. Kind of freaked me out. The night my grandpa died we got home very late from the hospital to find our hanging light fixture in the dining room shattered - like it had been hit with a baseball bat. Eerie thing about that is my grandpa hated that light because he ALWAYS would walk into it and hit his head. No possible way for that light to break on its own - it was a big fixture and did NOT fall - the screw that held the globe on was still screwed on...it was hit. Have also seen a figure walking across our pasture at night - hit it with the light and it's gone. Wife thinks it's native americans. For whatever reason we have a ton of owls and hawks around our place.
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/12/16 02:33 PM

With a name like Cochise, I believe you must have inherited your ancestors spirit gene
Posted By: Deersteaks

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/13/16 02:27 AM

Had a friend of mine tell me a story that his grandfather told him. He said his grandfather said "When I was a much younger man living in south Texas, I had no car (not to many people did)and we walked or road a horse wherever we went. On one particular day, I had to go to town to get something from the store and that it had gotten dark while in route home. Well, as most people did, I took cross country short cuts to lessen my travel distance and was on such a trail this evening. I came around a corner of the trail and there standing in the middle of the trail was a man in a white shirt with a dark jacket over it. I of course got very startled and jumped back. He just stood there staring at me. I said, can I help you sir. He just stood there staring. I was scared and said, sir, I don't want any trouble, I'm just trying to get home. Again, he just stood there. I didn't know what to do. I backed up a little and he advanced some himself. Again I said, sir I really don't want any trouble, I just want to go home. He just stared at me. Finally I was so scared I said sir, I have a gun and I don't want any trouble, but if you keep coming toward me, I will shoot you. Please let me pass so I can go home. Again he just stared at me. I turned to go another direction and he advanced on me again. Out of sheer fear and panic, I drew my pistol and shot him right in the chest and then broke and ran the direction I had came and took the long way home. I told my wife what had happened when I got home and of course she was scared to death. We talked a long time about it and we were scared that I may go to jail for it. I got no sleep that night and by the morning, I decided that I should at least go back to the scene and see if I could do anything or if I may even know who it was. I was sweating the whole way there, scared to death of what I was about to see and not knowing what I should do about it. Well, I finally came to the location and was prepared for I'm not sure what,when I came around the corner and there laying in the middle of the trail was a huge white faced mule with a hole between his eyes. I was astonished and overwhelmed with joy. I ran back home and told my wife and we both had a big laugh about it, but never told a sole for years."
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/13/16 07:26 AM

Back when I was in H.S., my dad and I were rabbit hunting a pine thicket behind a church/cemetery in a little community in Jackson Parish, La. Our two best dogs were going non stop in the thicket, but couldn't seem to push the rabbit out. I thought I had his pattern figured out, so in I go. A few minutes later, I look behind me, and there sits a rabbit, not more than 7 or 8 feet away. I leveled the 20 gauge and blasted him, cause the dogs were coming fast and hard, and he wasn't going to stay put very much longer. I knew I'd killed the bunny, so I loaded another shell, and waited for the dogs to get there. They run up to the spot in full cry, then shut down cold. I looked at where the rabbit had been, and there was nothing there. No blood, hair, or anything. It did bother me that they couldn't find the track where the rabbit ran off. I thought no more of it until I was walking out. I had a hard headed little gyp, that wouldn't come out, when it was time to go. So I caught her, and was carrying her out. We were almost to the truck, when I see a rabbit run under a brush pile. I couldn't shoot, cause I was carrying a dog. She saw it, and started struggling to get down. I wouldn't put her down, cause we were ready to go, and didn't want to start another chase. About that time, my other two dogs were coming up, and about to cross paths with that rabbit. They both trotted up to that brush pile, then turned and went to the truck. Neither dog acted as if they had seen,or smelled anything. We loaded up and got out of there QUICK!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/15/16 02:23 PM

Not a "ghost" story, and one I've told here before, my apologies for the repeat. Had a lease in East TX. One of the guys went by himself and hunted the morning before the rest of us showed up. When he climbed down from his stand he pulled the card out of his game cam and we looked at the pics over lunch. The last three pics were terrifying. Four or five people, men and women, with vacant stares, gaunt faces, and guns. Obviously washed out mindless tweekers lost in the woods, with guns. What's scariest is that the pics were taken about 15 minutes before he climbed into his stand, the camera's about 30 yards away.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/15/16 02:44 PM

Sneaky wardens, back in 1983, I won a raffle from DU for a "Bull Elk" hunt in northern New Mexico. Paid $5, cost a lot more of course. The hunt was west of Raton, NM on the Colorado/N Mex border. After I had secured my elk, we supported the rest of the group by spotting, scouting, etc. A group of us loaded up and went out, and our guide said we entered Colorado from some back land canyons. We were of course tasting the local home made vapors and brews....We out got and released full bladders and glassed for a few minutes. Hours later we returned to the camps and the ranch manager came out to check on us. He asked us if we were that certain vehicle that stopped on this particular peak, and we were. He said good thing you didn't fire at anything as we were being watched by a Colorado Game Warden. I mean it was in the middle of now where.....you just never know who has eyes on you.....

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/17/16 08:57 PM

Good Stuff. Keep'm coming.
texas
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/18/16 04:03 PM

TTT

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/18/16 08:49 PM

ninja
Posted By: TexOddball

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/20/16 04:45 PM

I got a story on a spooky deer. I was sitting in the stand, watching a bunch of does eating under the feeder. It was early in the season, so I was content to let them eat, and wait on a set of horns to walk through, when a deer snorted and blew, back in the brush. Now, the wind was right in my face, so I knew the deer freaking out in the brush hadn't smelled me, but something sure had it set off. Of course all the deer at the feeder scrambled outta there, and then this older doe walked into the clearing, calm as could be, and looked around. She blew about twice more, then trotted over to the corn, happy as a clam. Little miss priss didn't want to share the field, so she spooked all the other deer off before she walked in. It's rare that my first deer of the season is a doe, but I sure didn't need her "crying wolf" anytime she wanted to eat, so she went home with me that morning.
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/20/16 11:50 PM

Legendary Were-Wolf Deer.....known to wander the woods on Halloween night with glowing red eyes.

Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/21/16 12:50 PM

a couple of years ago, one of my buddies and I were hunting wood ducks down in back of an old creek. as we re walking back there we kept hearing huge splashes. You know, we re thinking its fish or turtles jumping into the water, so we pay it no mind really and kept walking to back of the creek. We finally get to our spot and stayed silent. Its still pitch black and we cant see a thing. The splashing sounds kept hitting all out in front of us where the creek was. We shined the light but seen nothing. All of a sudden something came crashing in the brush right next to us like a rock but we couldn't tell what it was, thought it was just a branch falling from above. I had the feeling something was watching us the whole time but kept telling myself its just your mind messing with you. So after about 20 minutes of complete silence, there was a loud smack on the tree five feet from us. Nearly ruining my pants, we shined the light over and there behold was a football sized rock rock down from the bank after striking that tree. Lets just say we were out of there and fast. I don't know what that was or if someone was messing with us, but I have never been so creeped out or scared out in the woods before in my life until then.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/25/16 02:54 PM

Anybody else have some cool stories to help us out on our walk to the blind for the morning on November 5th?

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/25/16 04:14 PM

popcorn I'm starting to worry that I will start hearing things in my blind now!
Posted By: kcrozier

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/25/16 11:58 PM

Hey All. First time posting here. Had to join to share my story!
My fiance's dad has about 90 acres in the Hamilton area. The first time they invited me out there, we were sittin around drinkin and the fact that the house on the property may be haunted was brought up. Little bit of back story, the man has four daughters. So all the boyfriends slept in the cabin while the girls stayed in the travel trailer. Anyways, I was informed that the room I had been given was mine forever because the other guys had experienced some haunting in that particular room. I didn't pay much attention to it and when bed time rolled around I was out like a light. All of a sudden I wake up, and the room is pretty chilly. I blow it off, turn over and go back to bed. Wake up a little while later, and I hear some rustling around by my bag. Sit up and hit it with a light, nothing there, just assumed it was mice or whatever. Back to sleep I go. I wake up a few more times, just to random stuff that all seemed pretty easily explained. The next morning they asked how I had fared, and I told them I had tossed and turned but no haunting. We stay the weekend, and same kind of stuff keeps happening. Cold spots, noises, the works. Fast forward a few months later and we are back out there again. I ended up getting put in the living room because some old folks were going to take the bedroom with an actual bed. Out like a light again, but this time I wake up and the TV is on, just static. Turn it off, go back to bed. Next morning my bag was opened and kind of rummaged through. I asked if someone had gone through it, all said no. When I mentioned that and the TV, little sisters boyfriend had this look on his face. We talked about it later and same thing had happened to him. At this point, I am convinced we are the victims of a very committed prankster. My next trip up there changed my perspective. I went up with some college buddies, none of whom I had mentioned these previous incidents too. Woke up next morning, and all of our bags had been opened and sort of rummaged through. Not strewn about, just a little messed up. At this point the only thing I can think is, sh**, this place really is haunted. Then my buddy put the nail in the coffin when he mentioned the TV turning on. Ever since I have taken it more seriously, it seems to occur more. Noises at night, things being moved around the cabin, TV popping on and off, and most recently the doors opening. We have thrown up cameras to see if its raccoons, or people, or what. Never picked anything up. At this point I really didnt sleep in the cabin anymore, but when I went in to eat or anything I couldnt shake the feeling something is off. The last straw was my dog standing in the breezeway growling on my last trip up there. She's sitting there staring at the screen door, hair on end and just locked onto something. I figure its something in the yard. I go to open up the door to let her get after it, and she just backs up instead of running out. I am standing there on the porch wondering what's wrong with her, and the porch light just dies. Coincidence? maybe. But I'm convinced. haha.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/01/16 02:30 AM

texas
Posted By: rbw1

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/01/16 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TexOddball
I got a story on a spooky deer. I was sitting in the stand, watching a bunch of does eating under the feeder. It was early in the season, so I was content to let them eat, and wait on a set of horns to walk through, when a deer snorted and blew, back in the brush. Now, the wind was right in my face, so I knew the deer freaking out in the brush hadn't smelled me, but something sure had it set off. Of course all the deer at the feeder

scrambled outta there, and then this older doe walked into the clearing, calm as could be, and looked around. She blew about twice more, then trotted over to the corn, happy as a clam. Little miss priss didn't want to share the field, so she spooked all the other deer off before she walked in. It's rare that my first deer of the season is a doe, but I sure didn't need her "crying wolf" anytime she wanted to eat, so she went home with me that morning.

Lol I have seen an old doe do this so many times. Blow snort blowout stomping just to run the others off so she could get all the groceries. Also seen them stand waiting on the feed to hit the ground. Feeder go's off all the others run off an they just lower there head and start eating while corn bounces off their back.
Posted By: rbw1

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/01/16 03:30 PM

I have had so many strange things happen to me while spending the last 46 yrs of my life from Montana to Florida and all states inbetween while guiding and hunting it's hard to know were to start. But here go's, while guiding in Montana was walking down a sandy ranch road up near timber line to glass a small basin looking for Mule deer. Walked back down after about 10 min and in my footsteps were Couger tracks . Talk about unnerving. When I was about 13 sitting in a tree stand in the Sabine river bottom Panola county along an old slough in thicket to my right a sweetgum sapling about 6 inches in diameter started shaking like a giant had a hold of it. And there wasn't any wind it was dead still, and that was what was so frightening . To say I had that 12ga on point like a bird dog is an understatement. To this day it still gives me the willys to think what it was just out of sight shaking that tree. The things I have seen and heard through the years that made me go huh I guess I could write a book lol.
Posted By: Swamp Rabbit

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 11:17 AM

Found this on another forum and thought it would be an interesting post.

I pulled these stories off another board. I did not come up with these stories so I don't know any more details than what is written here. All I did was cut and paste. Might make me look over my shoulder more than usual. For those of you going out into the woods early in the morning this weekend, be careful when you hear the leaves rustling. You never know what is lurking out there.

The weirdest thing I heard about tho was a guy I know that was sitting in his treestand one afternoon about 10 years ago watching 2 groups of deer in a small field in front of him.

These deer were 40 or so yards apart and 50 yards in front of him. The field was only about 80 yards across then the woods started again. Anyway, these two groups of deer suddenly snapped up their heads and looked across the field into the woods. My friend saw nothing and watched as these deer started turning their heads as if following something that had walked out of the woods and right between them heading in my friends direction.

My buddy said he didn't see anything as the deer kept looking and following it with their gaze as if they were actually seeing something cross the field between them. Frank also said the hairs on the back of his neck were standing straight up and he smelled something terrible, like rotten meat.

Then he heard it. Crunching leaves as footsteps walked into the woods right in front of him and continued walking right under the tree he was sitting in. He kept hearing the footsteps and a weird sort of whispering until it got farther away and eventually faded from earshot. He looked back to the field, the deer were feeding again as if nothing had happened.

My friend climbed down and backtracked the imprints/disturbed leaves 10 yards to the field edge where whatever it was had walked in. There, in the soft mud at the fields edge, he found bare human footprints that were facing backwards !!
He left right then and there with his stand still in the tree and never hunted that woods again.

True story folks. He won't even talk about it.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 11:18 AM

Here is the second story.

First of all, I want to say hello to you all. I'm an ex-LEO, father of 4 and have been a hunter most of my life. I no longer go into the woods, but do fish on the lake in my spare time.
I've been a lurker for quite awhile and have never posted before now. I very much enjoy reading the great stuff here. After seeing these writing about strange goingson in the forests, I felt compelled to reply.
After reading what I have to say, you'll see why.

I don't know Mr. Thunderhead or his friend.
But, what he says is true. I have seen this myself, twice.

Both times were in the same woods. I thought I was crazy the first time and seeing things, and talked myself into dismissing it to my overactive imagination.
I was wrong and paid dearly.
I refuse to talk about that part and am only telling this so others will heed the warnings about the dark.

The second time I was alone in my shack long before daylight opening morning, exactly one year to the day after my first encounter.
As I poured a cup of coffee, I heard footsteps in the leaves, hit my light and like before, could see nothing.
My blood ran cold.
I knew it was happening again as soon as I heard the whisperings as it drew closer.
I shut my eyes as tight as I could, this time the footsteps didn't keep going, but stopped at the window to my shack. The stench of rotting meat was sickening.
All I'm going to say is that when I opened my eyes what stood outside my shack glaring at me thru the window was something straight out of **** itself.
That's all I'm going to say.
I've never steeped foot inside a woods again and never will.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 11:19 AM

And another I got from Bayou Bucks

I've heard stories about Rougarous, or Loup Garous, all my life, but do people in modern times ever claim that they have seen one? QUOTE]

Man, ya'll can laugh at me if ya'll want, but I'll go to my grave believing I shot one back in about '97 or maybe it was a windingo or whatever...it wasn't normal.

This "thing" was running a small buck through the woods right at high noon. Immediatly when it got down wind of me it stood on its hind legs and walked on 2 legs directly at me while growling at looking right at me in the tree. To this day just the thought of the site of it makes me want to cry and the hair on the back of my neck stands up. I had no doubt that it was coming up the tree after me and it wasn't gonna get me without a fight. I shot it and it let out a terrible scream just like a person...it dropped...then in a flash it was at the bottom of the tree trying to come up. I ended up emptying my gun in it, it had run off about 30yds in the process. It was still moving so I was reloading when one of my buddies comes out of nowhere on horseback. Road right up on the thing (he was worried someone had been shot)....it spooked the **** out of his horse and threw him off. The thing jumps up right over my buddy who's on the ground trying to figure out what the **** happened and he unloads his 12ga full of buckshot into the thing and it just took off through the palmettos - never saw it again. I can not even begin to describe how shaken up we were - we were pretty much crapping our pants and couldn't get out of the woods fast enough.

We got up the balls to go back the next day with the rest of the men from the camp (we were pretty much kids at the time) to retrieve my stand - HEAVILY ARMED (I think to humor us, but it scared the **** out of everybody). There was blood, hair, and meat everywhere...big pools of blood...but everybody had the hair on the back of their neck standing up and nobody was about to try and trail it up. If it happened now I would probably have taken some of that hair, but at the time nobody that went wanted to touch anything, just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. I still have nightmares about this thing and won't ever go back to this area under any circumstances - and nobody that went there and saw what we saw will either. The track was one of the worst things...long similar in length to a human foot, but with a dog-like pad.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 01:15 PM

^^^ those last few would make your head spin if you got to thinking about those while out in the woods!!!
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 01:24 PM

I almost pee'd on a rattlesnake when out checking on cameras after dark. Had on shorts and tennis shoes. scared
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 04:03 PM

^^^ those last few would make your head spin if you got to thinking about those while out in the woods!!!

X2.. I would have emptied my gun through that window, then reloaded and emptied it again.....then called for help because I would not be going outside "in the dark" by myself.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 05:04 PM

Some people have stronger than normal whiskey it appears

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 05:35 PM

we just had another paranormal incident where we hunt last weekend

this happened before at this particular spot .... about 3 years ago

going to set up some extra cameras to see if we can capture anything

will report / share pics
Posted By: redfred

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 06:54 PM

Years ago, a guy my dad worked with told Dad that his father-in-law had passed away and left his place out in the country to my dad's friend and his wife. He told my dad that he didn't hunt, but had seen some deer on the property and told Dad that he could come out and hunt if he wanted to. That Saturday, Dad drove out there, found the farmhouse in the wee hours of the morning, and drove into the back part of the property, just like the guy told him he could. He found an old oak tree with a wooden pallet nailed in the limbs, so he climbed up and waited for sunup.
Just as it was getting daylight, he noticed an old man walking along the edge of a clearing wearing a red plaid shirt and an "Elmer Fudd" type cap. Dad was wondering if maybe he was on the wrong property, but just then, the old man pointed across the field to where a nice buck was moving through the edge of the trees. Dad was looking at the deer through the scope, but didn't want to shoot a moving target. He glanced back at the old man to make sure he didn't have a gun, and right then the man pointed at the deer again. Dad looked through the scope at the still-moving deer, and the old man whistled loudly. The deer froze, and Dad fired his 8mm Mauser. The deer dropped in its tracks. He looked back to where the old man had been and he was gone.
Dad cleaned and quartered the deer in the field, and then drove out to go to his friend's house to share some of the meat. His friend and his wife were having breakfast, and my dad started telling them what had happened, and asked if the old man was a neighbor. When he described how he was dressed, and the fact that he whistled to stop the deer, his friend's wife turned pale as a sheet. Dad's friend told him that that was exactly how his recently dead father-in-law dressed and hunted.
Dad used to tell that story when my brother and I were hunting with him when we were 12 or 14, and I always sort of blew it off. But years later, I met the guy at my dad's job and he told me the same story.Pretty spooky.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 07:03 PM

ninja
Posted By: TAT

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 07:12 PM

Redfred, that's good story! I could picture it while I was reading it. Awesome!

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 07:12 PM

Did he look like this? elmer
Posted By: TAT

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 07:13 PM

roflmao
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 07:33 PM

whew yall just had to do this before opening weekend!

Well hell, I'll share mine.

We have a ranch in South TX (Asherton) that dates back to the early 1900's. The Indians back then had made a very solid house out of stone and mud that still stands. Driving down to hunt on the ranch from New Braunfels required us to get a hotel every time, this one time my buddy and I agreed to just stay in the old house (in the middle of 8,000 acres) and sleep on cots. We were drinking a couple beers by the light of the fire and all of a sudden my beer can starts to spin, I looked at my buddy and laughing he said "knock it off". I didn't want to freak him out so I played along and said well, let's call it a night. As I was laying there, listening to him snore and me not being able to sleep...I all of a sudden felt the end of my cot sink down (like the feeling of someone sitting at the end of it) it wasn't light it tipped my cot up in the air. I looked down and didn't see anything, looked over at my buddy and he was sound asleep so I yelled "leave me alone, I respect you!". The cot then tipped back down to the ground and whatever it was had left. I never told my buddy bc I didn't like hunting alone.

In that same shack of a house, I recently found a perfectly drawn map of our entire 8,000 acres, it's hand written and is almost as good as google earth...weird. figure it was illegals.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 08:33 PM

popcorn

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/02/16 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthTXhunter07
As I was laying there, listening to him snore and me not being able to sleep...I all of a sudden felt the end of my cot sink down (like the feeling of someone sitting at the end of it) it wasn't light it tipped my cot up in the air. I looked down and didn't see anything, looked over at my buddy and he was sound asleep so I yelled "leave me alone, I respect you!". The cot then tipped back down to the ground and whatever it was had left. I never told my buddy bc I didn't like hunting alone.

I tell my buddies of weird happenings but most of them don't care,
they're too obsessed with killing hogs they put up with anything.... for now

he may already know
Posted By: Hen-Killer

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/03/16 03:31 AM

I wish I hadn't read a few of these stories

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/03/16 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Hen-Killer
I wish I hadn't read a few of these stories

Me too! It's going to be a long dark walk to the stand come Saturday morning! Think I'll carry two flashlights. I can't imagine being half way there and my light quits working. Man, all the things I would hear while trying to feel the rest of the way to my stand. lol
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/03/16 04:55 PM

Cool stories. I don't understand why some people get scared...you've got a gun, and may even be carrying a side arm. Unload both weapons and the creatures still get you, well I suppose it was your time.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/03/16 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Pintail711
Cool stories. I don't understand why some people get scared...you've got a gun, and may even be carrying a side arm. Unload both weapons and the creatures still get you, well I suppose it was your time.

I don't believe that guns matter much if the things these people see truly exists.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/03/16 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232

I don't believe that guns matter much if the things these people see truly exists.

I agree, but I wouldn't let something scare me so bad that I completely stop hunting all together.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/03/16 05:28 PM

the year before (1962) I started hunting with my dad, there was a guy that hunted in his crew and had for years ...

They were hunting on the east side of Lake Buchanan in the rugged area of south Morgan creek. The LO had mentioned to the hunters that something had been killing his goats and sheep and figured it was a mountain lion since several area ranchers had briefly seen one in the area. One crisp morning, one of the guys started hearing a screaming noise and figured it was one of the other hunters pulling a prank on him since they had talked about the mountain lion the night before. He crawled down from the rocky perch he was sitting on to go investigate. A couple hundred yards later of creeping along, he finds some blood on the ground and hears a snap of a limb in the tree he was standing under. As he looked up, there was a full grown mountain lion with a dead nanny goat about 10 feet off the ground up in the oak tree looking down at him. In his mind, the shouldered his lever action 30/30 and start pumping lead, the mountain lion never flinched and slowly worked its way down the tree leaving the goat behind, comes down the tree and walks within a few feet of the hunter and disappears into the brush. It was about that time the hunter realized it had scared him so bad, that he froze and had never lifted his rifle. He walked back to camp, leaned his gun up in the corner, grabbed the rest of his gear and left.

several years later dad talked to the guy and got the story from him ... his rifle was still in the small camp house when our hunting crew packed up to move to a different lease several years later. He never went back in the woods, cold turkey gave up hunting. True story!

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/03/16 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232

I agree, but I wouldn't let something scare me so bad that I completely stop hunting all together.

I don't believe in ghosts so we're on the same page up

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/04/16 12:58 PM

rofl

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/04/16 03:06 PM

After reading all this, it would be a bad time for my hunting buddies to play a prank on me and jump out of the bushes as I am walking to the stand in the dark. Both my rifle and 9mm would be empty before I said, "Who's there." I might have to call a few of you as witness at the trial. lol
Posted By: JYG71

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/04/16 04:07 PM

worst I've had lately is large hogs challenging me for the feeder at 5am. Had em snapping at my heels while trying to get high enough with the climber. Bastards.....
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/05/16 08:31 AM

Swamp Rabbit, I'm a member of Bayou Bucks too. I read some of those stories last year.
Posted By: New Hunter

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/06/16 06:00 AM

I read on a forum post somewhere that a hunter found a person chained to a tree...but it had been so long the person was dead and in advanced state of decay...skull was visible. Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaary.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/10/16 04:24 PM

Any new stories out there?
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/10/16 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET
Any new stories out there?

Tuesday night we had a fairly good chance of ending up with Hellary as our president - how's that for scary? eek2

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/10/16 07:05 PM

My son got his first deer this past weekend and as we were driving up to pick it up he asked "What's that?" I asked what. He said "Listen" it was the sounds of American Indians singing very faintly. I made sure the car radio was off but I still heard it. There is always something going on at my place but that gave me a very calming feeling.
Posted By: Redskins4ever

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/10/16 08:32 PM

Michael Myers is my hero...........
Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/10/16 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: New Hunter
I read on a forum post somewhere that a hunter found a person chained to a tree...but it had been so long the person was dead and in advanced state of decay...skull was visible. Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaary.

I think that was in the "Weird things found while hunting" thread on here. Someone found a dead body tied to a tree with barbed wire.
Posted By: phat694

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/11/16 04:43 AM

I posted this one back in 2013

About 10 years ago I was hunting on our farm in Kansas. I had driven up the night before and got in about 11pm that night (a 6 hour drive). My uncle told me that I was going to be hunting on a neighbors place because my cousins and other uncle where going to be set up around our farm and the adjacent property. I told him no problem since I knew the neighbor well. My Uncle woke me up about 4:30am the next morning to get ready and so that Id have plenty of time to walk to the spot he wanted me to hunt since I really didn't know the area as good as him, he dropped me off and told me to follow the fence line west about a half mile then follow the creek north until I climb up a hill then sit in a stand of trees. No big deal. It takes me about 35 minutes to walk and find the spot. All the time thinking dang, there aint NOTHING out here, no lights, no farm houses, no cattle. I set up under this cedar tree and listen to the sound of a few crickets and the creek running by, I soon doze off. I wake up about an hour later feeling as if something was watching me. It was still about 30 minutes until light. I though it might me a deer or some livestock but I wasn't sure anything was out there. So my senses slightly more heightened I catch a small whiff of smoke, like a little campfire. The wind was blowing ever so slightly so I though it might be from a farm house or maybe just "wood smells" since i was not that familiar with the area I was in I kinda disregarded it. Several minutes later that smell is noticeably stronger and now I can definitely tell it is campfire smoke but from where? NO ONE is out here and there isn't a farm house for several miles. It still isn't light yet and I am getting worried that another hunter is out here. Eventually the smokey smell dies down and disappears leaving me clueless as to what it was. Right around dawn I start to hear some foot steps in the dead leaves and grass. I'm ready to see a nice buck or doe but it still isn't quite light enough yet and all I can see is a faint shadow about 40 yards away. Still kinda nervous about the smoke smell my 23 year old mind is racing with thoughts about what might be out there. I can hear small twigs breaking every minute or two. My heart rate is up. The morning sun starts to peak over the horizon casting eerie shadows of dead trees, limbs and scrub brush. Its creepy. Still keeping an eye on what I 'think' is a deer moving through the brush I start to smell the campfire smoke again. I then hear some more movement behind me about 50 yards or so, some ground rustling of dead leaves (kinda like what a squirrel would make). I'm trying to stay calm while my adrenaline is pumping. I start to get worried that another hunter is out here. I have on my orange vest so they will surely see me when the sun is up. The sun is about half way over the horizon now and the activity has slowed down the the campfire smell is still in the air. The walking noise from the first object increases and it sounds like foot steps. I still cant make anything out yet but I can for sure see movement in the brush about 40 yards out, something IS there. Its cold (I'm shaking but only because its cold) and Im getting a little anxious about being in an area that I really don't know and the creepy things going on around me are still filling my mind. A few minutes pass and I start to hear the slightest sounds of what I think are 2 voices. So by now I'm pretty sure there are other people around me but my uncle said no one would be out here and the old neighbor doesn't hunt any more. I'm thinking poachers, great. The air seams to get colder and more still as the campfire smell goes away. I still feel that there is something watching me and the shadow in the distance has vanished, no movement, no sounds, nothing. The air is really heavy now. I'm officially freaked out. I start to move out, slowly trying not to make a sound, watching where I step. I walk about 20 feet, standing straight up I look to my right and then left, something is watching me. I freeze and hear voices but I cannot make out what they are saying. At this time I'm done hunting, I just want to get back to the road. I make my way out of the trees and down the small hill following the creek. I stop to catch my breath about 100 yards out I turn around and watch for a while to see if anything comes out into the field that dead ends into the grove of trees Nope, nothing. I make my way back to the road and eventually my Uncle picks me up. He asks how my hunt went and if I had seen anything. I tell him that there are some other people back in there and I left out a while after sun up. I tell him my story and what happened. He told me it would be very unlikely that poachers or another hunter would be back there because the field is to muddy to have a vehicle run through it and no one would have a way to cross the creek. There are no vehicle tracks in the field or foot prints around and most folks in this area would bury a poacher if they found one trespassing or otherwise.

He then tells me that we he was little, him and my grand dad would find arrow heads, broken pottery pieces and other artifacts back in along the creek and up to the trees where I was hunting. I had researched the area when I got back home after the weekend, I found out that the Osage Indians (Wazhazhe tribe) lived in that area in the 1700-1800's. I still get the goosebumps when I think about that time in the woods.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/23/17 05:10 PM

Bump!
Posted By: bkj

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/24/17 04:34 PM

Cool!

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/24/17 05:50 PM

Went to check my son's game cam and feeder this weekend. Not a speck of corn on the ground and a ton of tracks. Not one single picture on the cam. Its either going to cost me money or the deer are now invisible. Both scenarios are scary.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/24/17 05:53 PM

Went to check my son's game cam and feeder this weekend. Not a speck of corn on the ground and a ton of tracks. Not one single picture on the cam. Its either going to cost me money or the deer are now invisible. Both scenarios are scary.

Sasquatch can't be photographed....... confused2
Posted By: D'hanis

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/24/17 05:58 PM

Keep em comin... I spent 40 minutes of my work day reading these yesterday roflmao
Posted By: TexasRider

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/25/17 01:45 AM

Hi all,

First time posting because a closed mouth encourages open ears and trying to pick up wisdom from you guys but I have a story that’s relevant.

Many years ago I was attending week long leadership camp in Scouts in a camp a bit south of Athens TX near Murchison lake. I remember this even though it was decades ago because I marked a map after this happened because it shook me so bad. The arrangement of the camp was such that the scouts were separated from the adults a ways so a group of us decided to go walking around after dark. We only had a couple flashlights but the moon was bright and we could see enough to roam a ways so we took off like kids do just to see what we could find to get in trouble with. We probably walked about an hour away from camp and then doubled back. We were louder going out but as it got later we got more tired and were more or less quietly making our way back.
We were crossing a break in the woods where those big power lines cut across the property and took a break since it was brighter there than the woods. While we were standing there one of the guys said he saw movement close to the next pylon down and we figured we were busted so everyone squatted down lights out and froze. We had already gotten chewed out earlier in the week for being out of our tents after lights out. While we were whispering plans on how to get back undetected we all clearly saw a shadowy figure walk from the edge of the woods toward the pylon. First thing that jumped out at me was the fact the figure wasn’t using a flashlight which was weird since we expected scoutmasters. The figure stopped at the leg of the pylon and turned to look right at us. Nobody moved and after what seemed forever it turned back and walked on heading away from camp. We sat there for a second when someone whispered “did you see how tall that thing was?” I had noticed because it was almost to the number plate on the leg of the pylon and the one on our pylon was a couple feet above my head so maybe 7-8 foot high. We decided to haul [censored] back to camp and literally ran the whole way.
We talked about it that night and every one of us saw it and every one of us was scared out of our minds but being full of piss and vinegar we laughed it off. The next day I talked to one of the guys who was from my troop and we agreed that whatever it was was not a man. Several of us from the night group decided to walk back at high noon to look at where it was. The ground was rock hard so no tracks and the grass too sparse to even see if anything was there but we confirmed the number plate was at least 7-8 feet high. We argued over the impossibility so I ran to our pylon to see how the teens looked for reference. What we saw was really really big I because they were way below the plate. We know the figure was in the pylon legs because we could tell it walked between the legs (we saw it walk behind one pylon leg but in front of another we were all positive).
I think 99% of the Bigfoot crap I see is absolute bs but I am absolutely convinced that if such a thing exists we saw it that night and all these years later I remain convinced we saw something that fit no known description of any living thing I know of and maintain a healthy respect for things that walk in the dark woods even though I love the outdoors.

Laugh if you will but had to share this.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/25/17 02:44 AM

The wife and I were pig hunting in a 20ft tower blind one night, it was very still out and cool. It was well past 10:00 when we heard foot steps coming up the stairs, we even felt the movement of the blind with the steps. Yes, I had the gun on the door. We shined a flashlight out the windows and there wasn't anyone there.
That was somewhat disturbing, so we picked up and left. As we were walking away I was in full alert mode looking around with a flashlight, gun in hand. I shined my light back towards the stand and got a reflection of eyes from the blind window, like deer in the headlights. I never shared that fact with my wife. It all could have just been wind gusts and reflections that night, but imagination sure got us back to camp as fast as the Ranger would go.
I still hunt that blind at night, never had anything like that happen again.
Posted By: Bull_Rope

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/26/17 03:24 AM

About 15 years ago, I had the opportunity to hunt a family friends place, down in south Texas (Junction area). A group of us had hunted this place, the week after Thanksgiving for a couple of years. Most of our hunting bunch are Monday-Friday, 8-5 type guys but I work swing shift, so that particular year, I got off of work that Thursday morning and was off until the following Monday. As such, I was anxious to get out of town and get to deer camp, so I set out that afternoon and made the drive down 377...Stephenville, Brady, Hard 8, Menard, etc.

None of the other guys could get off work so none of them were due in camp until that Friday evening. Hunting camp was an old farm house that was 80 years old, and out in the middle of nowhere, but still in pretty decent shape. It was an old wooden house, that sat at the edge of a clearing, on an old oak grove, along the Llano. It used to be an old ranching operation owned by the Kingfisher family from what I understand, but it was such a great place.

I hit camp that evening, about an hour before dark. I pulled up and got out of the truck and stepped over to a tree where I knew the key would be to the front door. I stepped up on the porch and put the key in the lock, but the door opened in my hand before I unlocked it. No big deal. I figured my friends brother had left ut unlocked by accident as they were in camp, the week before. Nevertheless. I flipped on the living room light and sat my backpack down when I heard a calvalcade of rushed stomping and foot steps across the wooden floors. I took off out of the front door and hopped in my truck and jacked the lever on my 30-30, ready for whatever was coming.

Nothing or nobody came out of the front door for about 45 minutes so I finally worked up the courage to go back in. Nobody was there. I found a half full coffee pot, still warm in the kitchen,the backdoor wide open, several plates of half eaten dinner and several tattered backpack/bed rools in the various bedrooms. It seems that I had interrupted dinner for a travelling bunch of illegals who were squatting in the old farmhouse.

I was by myself and didnt know what to do, so I moved all of the backpack/bedrolls to the back porch and propped them up with the rest of the bottled water. We had flat screen tv's, radios and DVD players in there but all that they took was the water, the toilet paper and a little bit of canned food.

I locked all the doors and
"slept" on the couch with my pistol, ready to go. It was a damn long night, with nothing but the light of the radio and Johnny Cash playing.

The next morning, I made ready to hunt, grabbed all of my gear and stepped on The porch. All of their bedrolls were gone. It was both alarming and comforting. They didn't want any trouble with me. They just wanted to grab their supplies and go.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/26/17 01:56 PM

A really good friend of mine was married on opening weekend of bow season back when I bow hunted a lot. Even spookier, he asked me to be in the wedding. Even spookier, he was a big time bow hunter too and allowed in bride to pick the date. It gets better; he let his displeasure with the wedding date be known and it showed before, during and after the wedding. There is a happy ending however; they were divorced a few years later and he got to start bow hunting opening weekend again.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/26/17 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Sasquatch can't be photographed....... confused2

Not true. Just can't get a good photo. rofl
Posted By: xitnet

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/26/17 04:10 PM

Good one hook_N_line. clap
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/26/17 08:44 PM

Yup might be my favorite thread
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/26/17 09:58 PM

What was that stuff you boys were drinking?

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/26/17 11:04 PM

similar thing happened on my place , it's my friend's feeder way up in the canyon (Eastland Co)

corn gone, no tracks, no game cam pics

few times cam took pics of what looks like a lady with long hair walking away (2016)
similar pics had been reported by previous hunter (2013)

his game cam was turned up while the second which points at the first cam , took no pics

this spot has been weird since 2013 and every new guy tells me there's something there

My friend has known about this for a while (since 2014) but he kept it to himself.
Didn't tell me about it till summer of 2016, thats when I told him about previous
hunter's experience.

My friend is not afraid of 'it'. he's very curious and wanted to see what's there.
I am a sensitive, I can tell something's there but I don't try to 'communicate' or let it
'communicate' with me. If I do get that feeling, I bombard myself with other things
or talk to myself. When it's time to go, I get the hell out as fast as I can.
Always followed by a cold air for a short distance.

If you're a 'sensitive' or. 'medium' and would like to see if you can communicate
with whatever 's there. I can take you up there to spend the night.
I'd like to know what/who haunts that place

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 03:36 AM

WTF just happened?
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 04:30 AM

Shoot, I have one at my house. Neighbor across the st died a few years back from cancer. Whenever I have contact with her friends or her husband/kids, I come home to the smell of cigarette smoke in my house. Not sure what she is trying to tell me but I always acknowledge her. Seems the right thing to do. She was good to my kids. I made it a point to go over and show her my newborn second son the week she died. And for the non-believers, the wife smells it too......
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 04:33 AM

Years ago I was glassing for Deer and Turkey not far from old Fort Chadbourne. Somewhere between Kickapoo Mountain and Nipple Peak I was sitting on a small peak under a big balanced rock that was at the top. While I sat there glassing the terrain, next to me in the dirt I found a corner tang Indian artifact with the tip missing. These are considered ceremonial by some or associated with burials. Not wanting to lose or break it I carefully folded a handkerchief or paper towel around it, placed it in my shirt pocket and buttoned the pocket. I did see a Turkey that I moved into position for, but had a jackrabbit run up to me, sit up, and make a bark like sound at me scaring the Turkey before I could shoot it. I knew the Turkey was headed for a stock tank being the only water in the area, so I ran through the mesquites to set up for the Turkey at the water hole. I remember patting my pocket while waiting on the Turkey and feeling the corner tang in my pocket. I shot my Turkey and carried the Turkey back to camp. At camp I wanted to take a picture of the Turkey with the corner tang I had found. I unbuttoned by shirt, pulled the handkerchief out of my pocket, and carefully unfolded it to take the corner tang knife out. There was nothing there.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 05:01 AM

Then there was the Ghost Coon that showed up on my game cam many years ago.

Posted By: Stub

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: East
Was hunting with a buddy at his families place a 3-4 years back. One morning we were in a blind on the top of a hill over looking a pasture that backed up to the river bottoms. Out of no where an elderly woman with a sleeveless shirt walked out across the pasture then back into the bottoms. We yelled for her to get her attention thinking she might need help. Then went down there but could never find her, or her tracks. This was a cold morning too, high 20s low 30s so it was definitely strange.

I had actually forgot about it, but he brought it up the other day

Not really spooky just odd

Was she choking an Albino Catfish confused2 laugh
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John

Even ghost coons don't get a pass. rifle

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Stratgolfer
Shoot, I have one at my house. Neighbor across the st died a few years back from cancer. Whenever I have contact with her friends or her husband/kids, I come home to the smell of cigarette smoke in my house. Not sure what she is trying to tell me but I always acknowledge her. Seems the right thing to do. She was good to my kids. I made it a point to go over and show her my newborn second son the week she died. And for the non-believers, the wife smells it too......

funny you mention 'smell'

I had a haunted apartment in Kingwood, TX back in 09 , there was one
spot on the carpet in the living room that I can smell 'rotting flesh'

like somebody died at the spot

but the apartment is not smelly to any visitors,

when I moved in the carpet was still wet, probably from the Mgt
trying to get rid of the stain and smell.

a lot of strange things happened to me in that apartment

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 02:32 PM

I posted a story way back of certain times of the year the smell of cherry tobacco is around my property specially right about dusk. Nearest neighbor is over 2 miles away.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 02:44 PM

Keep 'em coming. These are my favorite types of threads!

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Dang, if that ain't photoshopped, that is a cool picture.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/27/17 06:01 PM

I remember those first trail cam pics. Sometimes we would get bucks like this that looked twice as big as they really were. I remember how excited I was to pick up the film at Wal Mart.
Posted By: brushbuck

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/28/17 12:38 PM

Had left the road at the lease on a dark foggy morning heading to my blind in some oak timber. As I stopped at the base of the ladder I began hearing a faint snapping sound. I looked around through the fog with my head lamp but could only see a few feet in front of me and saw nothing. Still hearing the snapping noise, I began tying my gun up to the hoist rope and prepared the back pack and myself for the trip up the 20 foot ladder. About five feet off the ground I sensed something to my right and as I turned my head my headlamp lit up a face to face confrontation with a very ugly Emu about twelve inches away who immediately snapped its beak together. That bird scared the hell out of me that morning.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/29/17 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: New Hunter
Down the road from us a couple years ago, my neighbor found a guy chained to a tree, naked with one eyeball popped out of his head and his scrotum had been cut off. Drug deal that went bad. He survived only to crash his truck into a tree and die. He didn't have very good luck with trees. Weird stuff happens around here. Devil worshippers too. They meet up at a cemetary just up the road, according to locals
Posted By: Trophytaker3

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/29/17 12:39 AM

eek2

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/29/17 01:00 AM

Im sure NONE of you will Believe this, but it's a sin to lie.

Last winter (2016, january) we had a low of around 42 degrees, went out to do some 'yote hunting. after i had been calling for about 45 minutes, i smelled the smell of like a skunk and rotten eggs rolled into one. Every now again some of the neighbors septic has trouble, but this smelled different. My dog, Killer was with me ( he recently died) and he started acting a coward, slinking around me, whining, but always looking in the same direction. I had my 20 gauge with me, I had buckshot in it, but i put some slugs i had in my pack in it. Kept shining my light around, nothing but the eyes of an occasional coon in a tree. I started hearing twigs snapping, just, *snap, snap and leaves crunching. There is about a 45 acre empty lot grown over with trees and brush about 50 yards behind me. i was leaning up against a tree so i turned around quietly, by now my dog headed for home with his tail 'tween his legs. I did a sweep with my light along the fence line and woods, just before i turned my light off, something caught my eye. First off was the eyeshine, kind of orange/ red, about 6 1/2 7ft off the ground., Had the color of mud kind of, just a dirty brown long haired arms hanging down to knees "Creature", At this point i was shaking out of my boots! IT moved around a little, broke a branch and turned and it was gone, just vanished. On the 800 yard walk back to the house, i kept hearing " stuff" paralelling (hows it spelled?) me. Finally i took off at a DEAD RUN. I made it to the backyard fence, went through the gate, up the steps, closed all the windows, locked and Dead Bolted all the doors, and loaded my .22 pistol to carry on my hip,.... After that about 3 days later, my Uncle called ( he lives about 4 miles away) and said around 3 in the morning, he woke to the sound of something running beside his window, he sat up in bed, looked out the window, just as the " creature" ran behind his truck, and vanished into the woodline.
What do you think? Is it a man in a furry suit terrorizing this small town neighborhood, OR is at as i call it , " Bigfoot",,, Sasquatch... eeks333 walking
Posted By: brushbuck

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/29/17 02:02 PM

Trophy
I'm fairly certain you and your uncle saw the Boggy Creek Monster eeks333

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/29/17 07:23 PM

Could be. I do know that about 2 years ago a friend of ours from church told us his friend got a pic of one on his trail cam standing next to his tractor, the tractors tire is about 5 1/2 ft tall, thats where the stomach was!......
the funny thing is when he was telling us the story, the lid on his toolbox in his truck was open, and it fell down on its own SLAM! scared the poo outta me!

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/29/17 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: DPirates80
a couple of years ago, one of my buddies and I were hunting wood ducks down in back of an old creek. as we re walking back there we kept hearing huge splashes. You know, we re thinking its fish or turtles jumping into the water, so we pay it no mind really and kept walking to back of the creek. We finally get to our spot and stayed silent. Its still pitch black and we cant see a thing. The splashing sounds kept hitting all out in front of us where the creek was. We shined the light but seen nothing. All of a sudden something came crashing in the brush right next to us like a rock but we couldn't tell what it was, thought it was just a branch falling from above. I had the feeling something was watching us the whole time but kept telling myself its just your mind messing with you. So after about 20 minutes of complete silence, there was a loud smack on the tree five feet from us. Nearly ruining my pants, we shined the light over and there behold was a football sized rock rock down from the bank after striking that tree. Lets just say we were out of there and fast. I don't know what that was or if someone was messing with us, but I have never been so creeped out or scared out in the woods before in my life until then.

I know bigfoots are known to do that...................... eek2

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/29/17 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
I went to see the movie The Legend of Boggy Creek in the local theater.

I'm a couple years behind you, but I remember seeing that movie and it scaring the crap out of me for years. Drove through Fouke, AR where the legend lives several times back in the mid 90's. It's still big business there.

Charlie

I saw that movie when i was 10, it was out on C.D by that time, smile
Then one day i decided to watch it, i was home alone, I GOT SO SCARED, LUCKILY my sister called and talked to me, so she kept me company through the whole movie!

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/30/17 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Dang, if that ain't photoshopped, that is a cool picture.

Nope. It is as found. But pre digital when half country did not have home computers. Probably caused by the film not advancing. But then too, it could just be a real ghost.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/30/17 03:07 PM

MAYBE its the ghost coon from, " Where The Red Fern Grows"

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/30/17 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: redfred
Years ago, a guy my dad worked with told Dad that his father-in-law had passed away and left his place out in the country to my dad's friend and his wife. He told my dad that he didn't hunt, but had seen some deer on the property and told Dad that he could come out and hunt if he wanted to. That Saturday, Dad drove out there, found the farmhouse in the wee hours of the morning, and drove into the back part of the property, just like the guy told him he could. He found an old oak tree with a wooden pallet nailed in the limbs, so he climbed up and waited for sunup.
Just as it was getting daylight, he noticed an old man walking along the edge of a clearing wearing a red plaid shirt and an "Elmer Fudd" type cap. Dad was wondering if maybe he was on the wrong property, but just then, the old man pointed across the field to where a nice buck was moving through the edge of the trees. Dad was looking at the deer through the scope, but didn't want to shoot a moving target. He glanced back at the old man to make sure he didn't have a gun, and right then the man pointed at the deer again. Dad looked through the scope at the still-moving deer, and the old man whistled loudly. The deer froze, and Dad fired his 8mm Mauser. The deer dropped in its tracks. He looked back to where the old man had been and he was gone.
Dad cleaned and quartered the deer in the field, and then drove out to go to his friend's house to share some of the meat. His friend and his wife were having breakfast, and my dad started telling them what had happened, and asked if the old man was a neighbor. When he described how he was dressed, and the fact that he whistled to stop the deer, his friend's wife turned pale as a sheet. Dad's friend told him that that was exactly how his recently dead father-in-law dressed and hunted.
Dad used to tell that story when my brother and I were hunting with him when we were 12 or 14, and I always sort of blew it off. But years later, I met the guy at my dad's job and he told me the same story.Pretty spooky.

peep eek2 geekfreak

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/30/17 03:19 PM

I just remembered a Dad story. We used to hunt in Caldwell and we were always told that sometimes just after dark you could see a little light going up and down the creek bed. The story was there used to be an old miser on the place and he didn't believe in putting his money in the bank so he buried it in coffee cans down by the creek. One night it was flooding and we went down to get his money and was washed away in the current. So they say he is still there walking up and down the creek looking for his money and that if you follow him you might find one of the coffee cans. We saw things there that we couldn't explain, but never found any cans with money in them.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/30/17 07:11 PM

One time, about 9 years ago, my dad was sitting at the kitchen table, working on his sunday school lesson for Church. I was sitting at the computer about 20 ft away from him, then he says " quit tapping your feet on the floor" i replied, " Im not" then ( we had a box of donuts on top of the fridge, that box gets flipped up in the air, like someone pushed on one end of it, a or picked it up and slammed it on the ground.................................. so i have had 2 creepy encounters.

popcorn

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/29/18 01:08 AM

It is that time of the year, any new stories out there?

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/31/18 03:20 PM

bump
Posted By: Gulfgoose

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/31/18 04:13 PM

It was a foggy full moon morning on the prairie west of Altair without a puff of wind. Me and a buddy were walking along an abandoned gravel pit by the moonlight to the duck blind. To the right was water and a brushy drop off to the left and dense woods for a long ways before it opened up into more pits and pastures. We both stopped dead in our tracks and looked at each other asking if we heard that. We brushed it off as nothing. A few steps later we heard it again. It was the distinct humming/singing of a little singing the eariest tune you've ever heard. It kept getting louder and louder until it sounded as if the girl was about to come out of the brush at any second. As we stood on the road together (guns loaded now) it finally started to taper of back to where it came from. I've never been so happy to make it to a blind in my life.
Apparently my buddy has a history of spirits following him around, confirmed by family and friends.
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/31/18 04:54 PM

bump

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/31/18 06:24 PM

I was hunting in a blind on a friend's ranch in Coleman County - not too far from Talpa. First time I had sat in this blind and it was at the bottom of a small rise facing a clearing with thick oaks on the other side. Just before sunup I started hearing a whispering voice - couldn't make out any words, just a low whisper or two, then a pause, and then it would happen again. This went on for 20 or 30 minutes then stopped completely. Once the sun was up I started looking around behind the blind and saw there was a black poly-pipe line about 20 feet back along the hill. The whisper was oil being pumped to a tank. Easy explanation, but strange sights and sounds in the dark can sure get your imagination running wild.
Posted By: Ichabod Fighter

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/01/18 03:28 AM

Not my story, just one of my favorite stories from the famous threads on the survivalist forum. It’s worth a gander.

Years ago in a fairly remote area of northern Ontario A gun club friend, his sister whom I knew well, a woman friend of hers from university and I drove up to the last significant town in the area frm Toronto. The woman friend of was a purchasing officer for a college and the college had here looking into purchasing a remote wildernes tract to be the Outdoor School for the college. She had asked my friends sister to accompany her since the location was remote and she then invited her brother and I. The plan was to stay in a modern large log home on the property overnoigth and explore the property on foot.
When we found the right dirt approach road it had a old heavy padlocked iron gate set in heavy stone to either side of the road. A realtor had given the purchasing officer the key so we opened the gate drove in and secured it behind us. Two miles in we found the cabin, a large four bedroom affair built by a wealthy developer who never lived there but put it on the market as soon as it was completed. Once we were there and had unloaded our packs into the cabin did the purchaser tell us why she so wanted company. The first cabin built there had burned down and the second attempt a decade before had seem the workers quit for strange reasons that included being stoned with heavy rocks many times, the assailants never being seen. This latest cabin was the third attempt and so far no one had actually lived on the property. According to the maps the nearest home in the area was more than 20 miles away.
We had enough daylight that we decided to do a first pass at the area right then. We had no firearms with us but everyone except the purchasing agent had very impressive belt knives and machettes and we knew how to use both. Two miles later, through some pretty dense woods, we had reached the edge of the small river on the property and stopped to glass the river with binoculars. My friend and I commented on feeling very uneasy and not hearing any animal or bird sounds at all.

The purchasing lady excused herself to go behind some trees. After a few minutes we heard her say "There are blankets in here". The three of us looked at each other confused and moved forwards to see what she could be looking at. There was a low earthen mound anout 15 feet in diameter and maybe five feet high right in the bush and with vegetation growing all over the mound. Perfect natural camouflage. It had clearly been there a very long time. Until you got at the right angle you couldn't see the crude wooden slat door held in place by leather thongs.

The purchaser was looking inside when the full situation hit us. My friend and his sister and I all said something like "Back out now!" and she did, realizing she had just entererd someones "home" uninvited. She backed out towards us and I felt the sister of my friend grip my arm. This lady was as tall as me, a black belt in juijitsu and never backed off anything. When her fingernails dug in I knew we had a real problem. Her only words, said just loud enough for her brother and I to hear were : "We are surrounded."
Never good words, but I was looking for people and couldn't see any. My friend was the same, but all three of us had taken good grips on our machettes and put our backs together. "Where?" I asked quietly. She jerked her head around and said, "the mounds, there are several of them."
My blood literally felt like it had gone to ice water. Then we could see that we were almost in the middle of a group of about half a dozen similar earthern mounds oriented on the river. My friend gave an uncharacteristic "Oh my". My friends sister took point and took purchasing lady in tow. My friend and I were right in trail behind them and I think we set a personal best record for running through dense bush, and safety be damned we ran with drawn machettes and combat knives.
We reached the cabin and the shortest vote in history decided we were driving out even though the sun setting. We tossed our packs in the vehicle and my friend called me quietly and showed me a crudely written sign on heavily weathered plywood that had been leaned against the side of the vehicle. All it said was "GO". We did.
I was told that the recommendation was for the college to look elsewhere for an outdoor school. Sounded like a plan to me

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=57236&page=51
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/03/18 10:42 PM

Hunted in Missouri where there was an old lost graveyard lost in the big timber. Graves dated in 1800's,about 30 of them. I shot at a doe with my crossbow and thought I got a pass through on her. Went to look for her and could not find blood or arrow. I walked past the same spot about 5 times between looking for the deer then pulling my tripod out of the woods. On the last trip out my arrow was sitting on top of the tall grass right where I had walked by 4 or 5 times already. Looked like someone placed it on top of the grass gently. I thought it might have fallen out of my crossbow quiver on one of my trips pass that spot. It did not. Needless to say we left those woods and have not been back. Still can't explain it.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/03/19 01:23 PM

It's about that time of year so up it goes.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/03/19 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by colt.45
popcorn agh, campfire stories banana2 flag

eeks333

flag

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/03/19 08:35 PM

C'mon - I need new stories people!!!
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/04/19 05:01 PM

I got invited to hunt in Mississippi a few years back. The guys on that lease are good friends with my cousins and I got an invite to go along. It was good to spend time with family and the guys from Mississippi were a great bunch of guys. We'd sit around the cabin drinking, playing cards, and eating like kings. The guys on the lease LOVED pictures. They were always looking at pics from the game cams, or pics that they each took from the day's hunt.

So first morning, they put me out in a tree stand. I'm not a huge deer hunter and had certainly never been in a tree stand. Think the Mississippi laws around baiting and corn just changed, but back then, you couldn't bait deer. So it was me in a tree stand, HUGE trees all around, and a food plot out in front of me. The only clearing or place that you could see more than 50 yards was that food plot. I got dropped off that morning and wasn't really sure where I was at since it was dark when we got there. Those guys are hard core and stay out a long time. I'm sure I wasn't the quietest in the blind and I didn't see a thing. Not one deer. I was bored out of my skull.

While sitting out there, I remembered that I had an app on my phone that you could use to put ghosts into photos so I had an idea. I took a few pics of the view from the stand and then starting playing around with the app. There were a number of different ghosts you could put in the picture, but the one of the guy in the confederate soldier's uniform seemed the most fitting. So I had plenty of time to get the right picture, get the ghost in the pic, make sure it was fuzzy enough to look "real" but visible enough to be seen.

I finally get picked up, we go back in for lunch, and then out for the evening hunt. I'm still sitting on this picture. We all get back to camp for dinner and one of the guys says for everyone to email their pics from the day so he can pull them up on the iPad and take a look. There's usually a few guys looking at pics while a few are cooking, some playing cards, etc. I didn't utter a word but emailed my pictures as I was instructed. They finally get to my pics and one of them notices the "ghost". Oh man was it funny. "That looks like a confederate soldier!" "You know, there used to be a confederate fort around here back in the civil war!" "I heard that that this land was granted to the family of a soldier after the war!" This went on for the entire evening. That pic was all they talked about all night. Thru dinner, after dinner, during the poker game. Hell, when we all called it a night I still heard guys in their bunks talking about it. I never said a word.

Next evening, I'm actually in a blind and my cousin is in the next blind over. He's texting me about that ghost and how crazy it was. I had to let someone in on it so I took a pic through my scope and then put another ghost in the cross hairs and texted it to him. He immediately was on to my game and started calling me every name in the book. We left our blinds and rode back to camp laughing about it the whole way. Neither of us ever said a word to those guys about it.

I went back the next year and they were still talking about it. I haven't been back in a couple of years but my cousin still goes annually and says it's still a regular topic of conversation and every picture now gets looked at really closely for ghosts. I'm going to have to go back one of these years and let them all in on it.

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/04/19 07:01 PM

K but that's not Spooky Gumbeaux
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/04/19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by DirtNapTET

They thought it was!

If there's a Mississippi Hunting Forum that story's probably on it...

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/04/19 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
Originally Posted by DirtNapTET

They thought it was!

If there's a Mississippi Hunting Forum that story's probably on it...

Hahaha just giving you a hard time, thanks for sharing sir!
Posted By: HankTheTank

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 10/04/19 10:50 PM

Why did I read this ahead of hunting the Sam Houston National Forest. SMH.
Posted By: camtheguitarman

Re: Spooky Hunting Tales? - 11/20/19 04:14 PM

BUMP!!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum