Texas Hunting Forum

Are deer leases still impossible to find?

Posted By: Scoop

Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 12:12 AM

Not looking to get on one - happy where I'm at. Just noticed that not as many members are posting trying to find a place in the lease section. Seems as many or more leases are offered than people looking, which is a big change from a few years ago when it seemed impossible to find a place without a trust fund. I do see a lot looking near DFW (as always), but south Texas/SA not so much. Has all the oil land/oil guys let go of the leases, or are land owners needing money again now that the boom is in the past? Just curious. Used to see lots of SA guys looking for places to hunt, but now just a bunch of dove lease inquiries.

Doug
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 01:46 AM

Have to think it has to do with oil prices, last year leases were extremely hard to come by, this year I've seen tons that are available.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 01:56 AM

Ray Charles could see this coming. Oil prices has hurt Texas a lot of places.
Posted By: Scoop

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: bp3
Ray Charles could see this coming. Oil prices has hurt Texas a lot of places.

Didn't say I was really surprised. Just heard all the complaining when leases were so hard to come by, but not really hearing much discussion on the reverse, about how its easy to find one now. Just wondering if folks who got out-bid or priced out of their old leases have found their way back yet. Or are people in general just so broke they aren't leasing in STX and just get their hunting fix posting on THF?
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 02:45 AM

You can bet there are some high dollar leases available in S. Texas. Smaller, cheaper leases in good areas are still hard to find.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 02:53 AM

Maybe most people have spent more time looking and it has worked out for them.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 03:03 AM

There have been decent leases available on this site basically non-stop since the spring. They also appear to be attainable since some are available more than 5 mins after they get posted.
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 01:15 PM

I lost my lease in the hill country due to landowner issue last year and was able to get on my current lease in Val Verde because hunters who work in oil couldn't afford it anymore. I think you guys are right on with the availability of leases due to low oil prices. It was true for me.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 01:38 PM

I think people looking are less inclined to post threads because people who have leases aren't going to take the time to look. They will post an ad and wait for people to pm them
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
I think people looking are less inclined to post threads because people who have leases aren't going to take the time to look. They will post an ad and wait for people to pm them

something like that

i have a small lease available but was tired of tire kickers that i am just going to let it sit

not worth my time and gas to show
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/02/16 05:36 PM

It doesn't seem that lease prices have really dropped much in line with the increased availability. I'm sure it will eventually. Personally, I'll be glad when they do. I hunt public land and it's gotten a little crowded in recent years as more hunters got priced out of the lease market.
Posted By: Beginners Luck

Re: Are deer leases still impossible to find? - 09/03/16 04:45 AM

They are still out there, but they still want big $$. One is across from my place 1500 acres+ , sad part my 20 acre area has produced better hunting when it comes to whitetail. 8 pt Bucks get a pass they are the small ones.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum