Texas Hunting Forum

TV Hunting shows What gives???

Posted By: Buzzsaw

TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/26/16 09:40 PM

Ok saw I just watched Larry Weishuhn , Trailing The Hunters Moon. I've always liked him but now he's WAY big time.

I just saw him kill $10,000 worth of whitetail bucks , he looks like a Nascar race car with product advertising everywhere, it was raining, he was sitting on the ground under a perfectly dry tower blind hiding behind a piece of plastic which looks like a big piece of Oak Tree bark, which he's a "pitchman" for.

The guy has killed more deer than I have seen, I guess my question is, does he, or who pays for these hunts? Who pays for all his trips around the world, some $50,000+ hunts.

I'm not say his or any hunting TV show are bad, I enjoy them and wish I was on them and YES, I buy some of the stuff I see advertised, so, did I just answer my own question in a round about way?? I pay for his hunts??? confused2
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/26/16 09:41 PM

Yes.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/26/16 09:52 PM

I can't watch them anymore......
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/26/16 09:55 PM

Meh he way overrated
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/26/16 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
I can't watch them anymore......

My little telephone co-op cable provider made that decision for me; placed the Outdoor channel with the Sports package that I'm not gonna pay for. Life goes on. I somehow manage to still hunt and kill things. grin
Posted By: soonerdg

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/26/16 10:15 PM

I would imagine that the majority of his hunts are donated by the ranch/outfitter. It's advertising for them.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/26/16 10:18 PM

I much prefer watching YouTube clips by amateurs. Hardly ever watch slick advertising shows any more.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/27/16 12:05 AM

He's still around? He's got to be older than woot
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/27/16 12:14 AM

lol35
Posted By: estex

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/27/16 01:30 AM

I've just about stopped watching them. I'm tired of watching them kill 120-30" deer and trying to hold it to look like a monster saying its a 170...... CMON!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/27/16 01:41 AM

I'm getting tired of the bow hunters taking bad angle 47 yard shots and saying 'It might have been a little back.' Yeah, if you consider the ham a 'lil back'.
Posted By: bp3

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/27/16 03:27 AM

And leave them over night in 70 degree weather or the song dogs eat them. I like Fresh Tracks with Randy Newberg which is hunting as it should be on public land spot and stalk. rifle
Posted By: AvianQuest

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/27/16 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I'm getting tired of the bow hunters taking bad angle 47 yard shots and saying 'It might have been a little back.' Yeah, if you consider the ham a 'lil back'.

See that all the time. Then they don't try to find it until after dark followed by, "lets come back tomorrow and look for it."
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/27/16 02:01 PM

Too much talking and BS on the hunting shows to watch any of them for more then a few minutes. Mostly I just click on them when a commercial is annoying me on another channel.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/27/16 02:13 PM

Larry Weishuhn is very good at scaring deer with his pistol. I haven't seen him hunt with a pistol on a tv show in several years though.

Landowners usually let these guys hunt for free because it is good advertising for them and their ranches.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/27/16 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: AvianQuest

See that all the time. Then they don't try to find it until after dark followed by, "lets come back tomorrow and look for it."

I think they usually find it that night, but by then it has gotten dark enough that they can't get good video, so that come back when the lighting is better.

Smells of wastage to me.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/28/16 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: AvianQuest

You hear "I hit him back" quite a bit on the hunting shows I watch. I think these guys are under pressure to get a kill on camera, and this forces them to take marginal shots.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/28/16 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: BayouGuy
I much prefer watching YouTube clips by amateurs. Hardly ever watch slick advertising shows any more.

Any recommendations on good hunting Youtube channels?
Posted By: NRHplumber

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/28/16 08:41 PM

Hushin
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/28/16 11:21 PM

I've met Larry and a nicer guy you will never meet. That said, I don't watch his show or any hunting shows anymore for the reasons above and others.
Posted By: passthru

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/29/16 12:22 PM

Yeah some of the crap shows do bite. But it beats the heck out of most of the garbage aired on the television anymore. At least the shows I dvr give me something to watch in the evenings after work between weekends when I'm actually out there in the woods for myself.
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/29/16 03:04 PM

They all suck IMO! Nothing like watching ANOTHER bow hunt in Illinois.. Anyone with a camera believes they're the next Jim Shockey. Just the names of these show's alone makes me LMAO!! The only one I watch from time to time is Meat Eater.

Red Arrow?
Blood Line?
Hallowed Ground Outdoors?
Legends of the Fall????
"The Takedown"??? LMFAOOOOO
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/29/16 03:22 PM

Got a question for group. Is it standard training to sling rifle over shoulder like the PH in Africa soon as you land...but stateside they use the sling when they get home? That cracks me up watching some US tourist follow the PH and play monkey see monkey do.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/29/16 03:28 PM

I am on board with what you guys have already stated. I too won't pay for the next package up to get the Outdoor Channel. The one show I liked (and I would watch all of them), was Eastman's Hunting. Those guy hunt the way it's meant to be, in big country, spot and stalk. I know many of us can't do that, but I liked the fact that they were very unassuming guys and did many of their hunts on public land. Just my 2 cents
Posted By: Navasot

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/29/16 03:31 PM

Yall worry to much bout what other folks be doin...

More power to them. Sure they are having fun either way
Posted By: jshouse

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/29/16 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

cheers
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/29/16 04:12 PM

While I am in the hunting business and have a TV show, I will admit that there are very few I can watch. I do watch Eastman's Hunting, Boundless Hunting and of course, Carnivore. These are well produced shows with real hunters, no infomercials, tips of the week or kissing the wife "Bye" and going through the airport.
Larry and I are very good friends and it is true that you will not meet a nicer guy.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/29/16 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bp3
And leave them over night in 70 degree weather or the song dogs eat them. I like Fresh Tracks with Randy Newberg which is hunting as it should be on public land spot and stalk. rifle

Fresh Tracks with Randy Newburg is a good one. I really enjoy Raised Hunting as well.
Posted By: rex47

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/30/16 11:48 AM

what i hate is when the back ground music is so loud i can't here what the hunters are saying. some times Jim Shockey show sounds like a concert.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/30/16 03:08 PM

I like Shockey's stuff, Eastman's, and Randy Newburg's shows but that's about it. My good friend guided Larry Weisuhn on a W TX sandhills mule deer hunt several years ago, and all LW would do is ride around in the truck looking at water holes. He then wrote a story that wasn't necessarily reality. He did say he was a nice guy though, but lazy.

My good friend was also in whitetail camp with Waddell a couple of years ago in Saskatchewan. Waddell's first priority was seeing how many local girls he could screw...no wonder this loser has been divorced a few times already.

I mean, how many times can we watch some guy or girl sit in a tree stand around a green field, then tell us how hard they've been hunting?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/30/16 08:36 PM

I like Carter's W.A.R. Great cinematography/production. Shockey's stuff is solid too. Honestly I can watch most of them until they get stupid or start faking things. DVR is great for eliminating commercials.
Posted By: longgunner

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/31/16 02:41 AM

Carnivore and Winchester World of Whitetail are good. Also, anything with Duncan Dobie is first class. Real Gentleman, and a great hunter. He should have his own show.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 08/31/16 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET
Originally Posted By: BayouGuy

Any recommendations on good hunting Youtube channels?

All public land hunts by Randy Newberg. He's the real deal.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQOcUD2aFxEjc-_4JJBLYyg
Posted By: Tony270

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/01/16 02:00 AM

What are your thoughts on RAZOR DOBBS ALIVE show?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/01/16 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

cheers

Nobody's worried about it. Just the public giving its opinions on hunters who display their wares in the public square of TV trying to make a profit. They put it out there - we have every right to share our opinions on it.

Here's mine: the vast majority of them suck. Hunting really isn't made for TV, especially whitetail, turkey, and waterfowl hunting. I do like a few of the well produced western/worldwide hunting shows.

And I'm not really sure they are enjoying themselves most of the time. My bet is most of them get as tired of going on the same Groundhog Day type hunts as many do of watching them. On a lot of them I can see the forced enthusiasm.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/01/16 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: jshouse

cheers

Nobody's worried about it. Just the public giving its opinions on hunters who display their wares in the public square of TV trying to make a profit. They put it out there - we have every right to share our opinions on it.

Here's mine: the vast majority of them suck. Hunting really isn't made for TV, especially whitetail, turkey, and waterfowl hunting. I do like a few of the well produced western/worldwide hunting shows.

And I'm not really sure they are enjoying themselves most of the time. My bet is most of them get as tired of going on the same Groundhog Day type hunts as many do of watching them. On a lot of them I can see the forced enthusiasm.

I watch mainly for the locales in which the hunts take place. These are places I'll likely never visit and will most certainly never get to hunt. Watching someone else kill a deer from a stand doesn't do anything for me, especially when they act like they have just won the Super Bowl.
Posted By: Erny

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/04/16 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Tony270
What are your thoughts on RAZOR DOBBS ALIVE show?

I like him..a little over the top but not unbearable. Having said that I also like the Ted and spirt of the wild.....which is way way over the top.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/04/16 03:05 PM

For a given amount of money you too can have your own hunting/fishing/outdoors show on TV. Then all you have to do is round up your own sponsors.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/04/16 03:29 PM

I like to watch a few youtube clips now and then of a few hunting shows. Thats about it lately.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/04/16 03:57 PM

I watch YouTube as well. Some Keith Warren, SOLO HNTR, Gunwerks, Team Wild TV, waikaramoana. Mostly SOLO hntr and Team Wild.
Posted By: DRD11

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/04/16 07:04 PM

Met some of them and seemed pretty genuine. Wish someone would pay me to travel around and shoot stuff. The better ones will survive the glut of shows and thank goodness for volume control and dvr. The number of commercials is just getting stupid
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/04/16 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
For a given amount of money you too can have your own hunting/fishing/outdoors show on TV. Then all you have to do is round up your own sponsors.

Pretty much.

I like larry weishun. I like Craig boddington. I like Jim Shockey.

I was reading their stuff way before they were tv stars.

I haven't watched more than 5 min of a hunting show in the last 15 years. Too rediculous for me.
Posted By: Lil Joe

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/04/16 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: estex
I've just about stopped watching them. I'm tired of watching them kill 120-30" deer and trying to hold it to look like a monster saying its a 170...... CMON!

The one that gets me is whitetail freaks. I swear they add atleast 20 inches to every deer they kill. I see their "170" and I just have to laugh and say no way
Posted By: Lil Joe

Re: TV Hunting shows What gives??? - 09/04/16 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: DRD11
Met some of them and seemed pretty genuine. Wish someone would pay me to travel around and shoot stuff. The better ones will survive the glut of shows and thank goodness for volume control and dvr. The number of commercials is just getting stupid

That's why I've started recording everything I want to watch and then fast forward through the commercials
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum