Texas Hunting Forum

Blackberry Herbicide?

Posted By: deewayne2003

Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/11/16 09:18 PM

Trying to get my new place ready for food plots and need to kill several LARGE blackberry thickets.

Anyone got a particular herbicide to use?

I was thinking 2-4-D with a little dishwashing detergent added to help it stick and cover.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, looking to spray the first weekend of may.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/11/16 09:21 PM

Remedy would work well too.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/11/16 09:21 PM

Mow then spray
Posted By: wfontjr

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/11/16 11:19 PM

Fertilize the blackberry. Great browse
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/12/16 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Curtis
Remedy would work well too.

Costs too much for a large area.

Round-Up.
Posted By: Western

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/12/16 02:21 AM

Might add a little diesel to the mix, but I think I'd rather have the berries if I had the choice
Posted By: Turk103

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/12/16 02:23 AM

I absolutely agree with wfontjr. I previously killed outhe a LOT of BlackBerry & now find myself trying to grow it (different lease). Deer love the berries.

IMO perfect scenario would be to kill out what is necessary for your plot
but leave it around perimeter for browse along with a make shift type barrier to make them feel secluded while feeding in your plot.

All that being said, I killed mine out with Roundup "Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer".
Posted By: passthru

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/12/16 02:58 AM

I guess my question is, why? Great browse, delicious berries.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/12/16 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: wfontjr

Cheapest long term food plot you can get for your money. Find another location for a food plot.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/12/16 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: wfontjr

Cheapest long term food plot you can get for your money. Find another location for a food plot.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/12/16 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
I guess my question is, why? Great browse, delicious berries.

Pastures haven't been mowed on this place in over 2-3 years; along with SEVERE over grazing; this place is in need of some major TLC.

If the berry thickets and cedars are not controlled now before the property is allowed to REST without cattle for a couple of years while I do pasture renovations then the problems of cedar & berry thickets will only get MUCH worse and MUCH more expensive to resolve.

Truth is that I will most likely never kill out all the blackberry; were talking about thickets that are 5x+ the size of a full size truck and more than 6' tall and have to be removed prior to other operations.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/12/16 04:38 PM

If they are actually Blackberrys, you got a potential money crop. Are they in berry now? If so, DewBerries, still an excellent berry. I would clean up the berry patch and let it thrive. If it's really huge, mow a few walkways through it and let it grow.
Posted By: theman6515

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/12/16 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Mow then spray

I would not mow then spray. The leaves are very important to control using any herbicide.
Posted By: RovingTexan

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/12/16 10:35 PM

I have the same problem on a property I close on Monday. Blackberry everywhere.

Why kill it? I hate snakes and snakes love blackberry patches.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/13/16 07:16 PM

I've heard that about snakes but never found one in my blackberries.. Took me years to get plants established, I wouldn't spray them. Great deer food with juicy berries for me.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/15/16 03:16 AM

Snakes don't love blackberries.
Rats love blackberries
Snakes love rats
Rat traps and baits kill rats
Without rats, won't be no snakes.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/16/16 12:02 PM

put some goats in there, I try not to use any thing that is harmful to the enjoinment
Posted By: swmays

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/16/16 07:29 PM

Blackberry Lives Matter
Posted By: rickym

Re: Blackberry Herbicide? - 04/16/16 07:37 PM

I wouldn't get rid of all of the berry patches, like said already they are good nutrition for the deer and you can pick berries. I wouldn't want a 3 acre or bigger field of solid blackberries but if you can leave some 10'x10' spots it would be great for everyone. cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum