Texas Hunting Forum

Who locks their blinds.

Posted By: YellowDog

Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 07:44 PM

Who locks their blinds and why? I lock my blind. Only have head phones and a heater in the blind. hmmm
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 07:46 PM

NYET
Posted By: rickym

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 07:47 PM

Not me, there ain't nothin in it
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 07:50 PM

mine usually has a weight limit and a no fear of heights kinda thing...

Posted By: swmays

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 07:50 PM

Nope.

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 07:51 PM

goodluck
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 08:10 PM

I use not to, until someone on our lease used all my propane on my heater. Then it got locked up.
Nobody confessed to it.
Posted By: OutdoorAggie

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 08:17 PM

Nope
That way the illegals can chase all the varmints and yellowjackets out for me. grin
Posted By: Payne

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
NYET

you owe me $23.77

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne
NYET

you owe me $23.77

Check is in the mail....

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 08:22 PM

roflmao

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 08:31 PM

NYET

you owe me $23.77

Check is in the mail....

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 08:33 PM

roflmao

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 08:34 PM

Are you wearing a Christmas sweater????

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 08:35 PM

gray hoodie, no skittles
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 08:40 PM

Don't lock mine, figure that it's less expensive to replace what ever they take, than a broken door.
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 09:11 PM

I latch it but don't lock it.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
I use not to, until someone on our lease used all my propane on my heater. Then it got locked up.
Nobody confessed to it.

Are you sure it was used, or did leak out in some manner?

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 09:55 PM

I put a sign on each blind door....
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 10:52 PM

gray hoodie, no skittles

roflmao
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/18/15 11:44 PM

No. IF they really want in it, they will get in anyway. Or hunt right next to it so what's the point?
Posted By: 30378

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/19/15 12:18 AM

Yes I do. Couple of years ago I had been hunting several days. Went to the stand one morning and found a transient wet back sleeping in the stand. Since then it has been locked.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/19/15 12:26 AM

Quitshooten, it was used the matches was laying on the floor and the heater top was off, plus candy wrappers and empty water bottle.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/19/15 12:39 AM

I do, but it is also our cabin that is 12x28, with all kinds of stuff in in it, including freezer, refrigerator, television, microwave, 2 clocks, coffee maker, toaster oven, bedding, furniture, etc.. We lock it and cross bolt the door with another lock.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/19/15 05:20 AM

No but we all share blinds. Only one can be locked anyway. Camp is over a mile from locked gate and surrounded by same landowner. We do lock trailers and bunk house but never seen anyone that should not be there.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/19/15 02:17 PM

There were some who did, some who didn't. My opinion is all blinds belong to the lease, not the individual.

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/19/15 05:14 PM

Contracts can say different

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/19/15 05:15 PM

People crossing the border don't care either
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/19/15 05:51 PM

Yep, I do. Had things stolen, broken etc. This year alone I've had lease members break in to my stand, break my chair, and break two steps. And no one admits to being the one to do it although two have admitted "hunting" it.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/20/15 12:35 PM

Yep,
We had a ranch manager hunting from them. We would find spent casings and water bottles. We also had a poacher use one. Sure they can hunt next to it or sit in the trees and watch the feeder, but it is like locking my truck, I ain't going to make it easier on anyone.
I let a fellow leaser and his kid hunt pigs in a blind one day. Next thing you know everyone had the lock combo to get in. I had to change the combo. I showed up one day and a kid (16 year old wanting to kill some pigs) was hunting in my blind that was popular for hogs. He said he didn't think I was going to be hunting there. We had a little meeting after that.
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/20/15 02:02 PM

Yes, it's outfitted with heater, office chairs and decoys....unlocked door implies that contents have no importance and you wouldn't miss them. No reason to temp those with weak morals.

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/20/15 02:58 PM

No, but I don't expect anyone in either of mine if I were to go to them.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/20/15 08:28 PM

I always lock and dead bolt the door on my blind. I don't have much in it to steal,but I spent too much time and money building it for other guy's to tear/trash it up. My friend that I lease the place from was mad because I wouldn't give him a key to it.
I look at it this way,I pay good money to hunt there and I was given an area to hunt in. Nobody else should be hunting my area of the ranch,I don't hunt in theirs.

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/20/15 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly
I always lock and dead bolt the door on my blind. I don't have much in it to steal,but I spent too much time and money building it for other guy's to tear/trash it up. My friend that I lease the place from was mad because I wouldn't give him a key to it.
I look at it this way,I pay good money to hunt there and I was given an area to hunt in. Nobody else should be hunting my area of the ranch,I don't hunt in theirs.

Couldn't have said it better
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/20/15 09:18 PM

We don't lock any of ours. Against lease rules
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/21/15 02:19 AM

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/21/15 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Yep!

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/21/15 12:31 PM

Lease Police will run thru your area at prime time or ram your blind if you don't follow the rules...just what I have heard. whistle

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/21/15 12:59 PM

Lease Police will run thru your area at prime time or ram your blind if you don't follow the rules...just what I have heard. whistle

The one I locks in RS we don't have a Range Officer there

roflmao
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/21/15 01:08 PM

I keep mine locked. It isn't far from a road and it would be easy to walk down and steal the chairs or the heater, or just break things. The lock could be cut, but nothing is fool-proof.

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/21/15 01:11 PM

The one I locks in RS we don't have a Range Officer there

roflmao

whistle

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/21/15 02:32 PM

Yep!
Posted By: nak

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 02:22 AM

I lock mine. I've had a lot of trouble with poachers and recently thieves...I want to known, from a distance, the padlock is still hanging on the door. There is not a lot that scares me, but opening my blind door and finding a poacher or a crack head in there does.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 02:37 AM

We have a lease member who does not feed year round, has a 12 x18 feeder pen and generally does nothing to improve the lease. Out of frustration with him I lock mine at times. If he was to improve his own area I would not mind him hunting my blinds.

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: wilhunt
We have a lease member who does not feed year round, has a 12 x18 feeder pen and generally does nothing to improve the lease. Out of frustration with him I lock mine at times. If he was to improve his own area I would not mind him hunting my blinds.

Shame him.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 02:58 AM

I purposely didn't put a ladder on my high rack so short people couldn't hunt it.

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I purposely didn't put a ladder on my high rack so short people couldn't hunt it.

rofl

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 03:23 PM

I lock mine.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 03:25 PM

Lock mine, wouldn't want my vienna sausage and Oreos to come up missing!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 03:32 PM

On a group lease with friends and the blinds are owned by the rancher. Everyone can hunt any blind. "Blind", in the modern sense, would be a term applied very loosely in this case. Not much there to lock.

When I've been on a lease with guys I don't know, you bet, I lock everything.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 04:29 PM

I lock mine. The land that I hunt on was tied up in a legal battle for the past 7 years because of squatters. I'm sure they are very upset they lost the property to hunt on, but I know they lease the property next door and there is no fence put up yet. So to keep my 2 office chairs and heater in place, I put a lock on it. Everybody on the main portion of the lease locks theirs because of the rancher, who isn;t the owner, shooting deer and trashing the blinds
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Rembrandt
Yes, it's outfitted with heater, office chairs and decoys....unlocked door implies that contents have no importance and you wouldn't miss them. No reason to temp those with weak morals.

DeeAM! And folks tell ME I'm a lock nut. (Very impressive. 'Gives me something to aspire to.)
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 11:03 PM

I don't lock mine so they don't get torn apart and I also post my policy of no weapons allowed so nobody can hunt from my blinds.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/22/15 11:59 PM

I figure my lock just keeps the honest man honest. From what I've seen on deer blind locks. A good crowbar could get you into any blind.
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/23/15 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: Rembrandt

DeeAM! And folks tell ME I'm a lock nut. (Very impressive. 'Gives me something to aspire to.)

The nice thing about digital key pads is we don't need lots of keys floating around that get lost or misplaced. We can also give people their own individual combination code. There is one down side....dead battery can be a problem.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/23/15 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: YellowDog
I figure my lock just keeps the honest man honest. From what I've seen on deer blind locks. A good crowbar could get you into any blind.

^^ This. For me the lock is just a reminder to others that the stuff is not just sitting around, "free" for someone else to "borrow" or break. For my blind, it wouldn't even take a good crowbar, just a strong screwdriver would do the trick.
Posted By: don k

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/23/15 12:55 PM

If you have to lock your blind I don't believe I would want to hunt there.
Posted By: Reich

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/23/15 03:12 PM

I do, I found a complete stranger in my blind years ago. We spend a lot of money and time so why not protect your investment?
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/23/15 03:36 PM

Why? Unless you have built an elevated fortress, I haven't found a blind yet that a 5 dollar screwdriver couldn't access and why have someone tear it up trying. Like many have said, if your hunting with guys where locking your blind is required, then your not having a very good time.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/23/15 03:41 PM

I don't lock anything on the lease. Just stay outta my whiskey.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/23/15 04:11 PM

We don't lock ours, don't need more stuff broken than we already have. Couldn't even go deer hunting last weekend without having to replace another 100' of 5 strand barbed wire fence that a Toyota took out, (probably illegals running, again). We don't have assigned blinds, just discuss who is sitting where and when before hand. If someone has an issue they can work it out themselves like adults.
Posted By: Someone

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/24/15 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Reich
I do, I found a complete stranger in my blind years ago. We spend a lot of money and time so why not protect your investment?

I would like to hear how the ending to that went down
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/24/15 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB
Why? Unless you have built an elevated fortress, I haven't found a blind yet that a 5 dollar screwdriver couldn't access and why have someone tear it up trying. Like many have said, if your hunting with guys where locking your blind is required, then your not having a very good time.

A lock isn't necessarily to keep out fellow leasers. It does deter some like ranch hands, the ranch owner, the neighbors kids, some poachers, leasers kids that seems to think they can do what they want when no one else is around.
Sure a big screw driver can get you into most of them, but at least I will know someone was there. And I can get into almost any car or house with a rock (0$ investment). But people still seem to lock the door.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Who locks their blinds. - 12/24/15 08:57 PM

We do on smaller properties we hunt. There have been poachers that climbed the fence and sat in the blinds before. If you are going to poach where I hunt, you aren't going to do it with ease and in comfort. Large properties never had a problem with poachers that we have seen so we don't lock them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum