Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey....geez!

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Turkey....geez! - 11/19/15 10:38 PM

In all my years of deer hunting I've seen turkey once...and then I got on this lease in August. I was told there were turkey here. Which is awesome but can you ever have too much of a good thing? If you can then I'm thinking we have too many turkeys. This mornings hunt I stopped counting at 30 and these were at one feeder! Then I saw three other groups! And the biggest problem is they overwhelm the deer and they leave in a hurry!

They're fun to see and I think they're beautiful but I wish we didn't have this many.

Mel
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/19/15 11:28 PM

Turkey are not a good thing. They rank right there with coons to me. Sorry if that offends Turkey hunters, but I call them corn buzzards.
Posted By: Central texas

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 12:39 AM

I like turkeys ! aim
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 12:44 AM

Hunting turkeys in the spring with calls is way more fun to me than spending countless hours watching over a pile of corn and having target practice on a deer. peep
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 02:01 AM

Corn buzzards are a PITA. I shoot what I have tags for every fall to run them off. Usually get one shot per season and they are gone till spring. banana
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Corn buzzards are a PITA. I shoot what I have tags for every fall to run them off. Usually get one shot per season and they are gone till spring. banana

You're lucky. Ours will be back that afternoon
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

You're lucky. Ours will be back that afternoon

Rifle makes much more noise than a bow trout

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 02:38 AM

I shot one, in the neck, and they scattered for a moment and then went right back to feeding on the corn...
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 07:33 AM

One morning I saw a bunch of turkey coming out of the roost. I figured it there was a bearded one, I would shoot it. I counted 75 hens flying out of the roost and zero gobblers. And that was just one roost, there were at least 3 different groups of hens on the ranch. Another day I counted 13 gobblers that walked right by the stand. I've seen turkey chase deer off. Gets a little annoying during deer season but the gobblers are fun to call up in the Spring.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 12:47 PM

Talk to your lease manager and LO about possibly selling some cheap turkey hunts this coming spring to help control the numbers.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 02:27 PM

I love hunting Turkeys in the Spring.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
In all my years of deer hunting I've seen turkey once...and then I got on this lease in August. I was told there were turkey here. Which is awesome but can you ever have too much of a good thing? If you can then I'm thinking we have too many turkeys. This mornings hunt I stopped counting at 30 and these were at one feeder! Then I saw three other groups! And the biggest problem is they overwhelm the deer and they leave in a hurry!

They're fun to see and I think they're beautiful but I wish we didn't have this many.

Mel

I feel the same way. Pricing is as follows:

1 turkey---$500/turkey
2 turkeys--$200/turkey
3 turkeys--$100/turkey
4 turkeys--$25/turkey

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 07:42 PM

If those were actual prices we will take 8 clap
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 09:00 PM

There is plenty of room for the turkeys as far as I'm concerned......right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy! food
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: elkhunter7x6
Hunting turkeys in the spring with calls is way more fun to me than spending countless hours watching over a pile of corn and having target practice on a deer. peep

up

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Talk to your lease manager and LO about possibly selling some cheap turkey hunts this coming spring to help control the numbers.

I'm a responsible steward of the land. Only hunt with my daughter nowadays. We are looking for a new similar situation for Spring 2016 because our turkey place got sold by the owner.

From this past Spring season.

Posted By: wbpc

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 10:37 PM

Looking for a place to take my son this year. PM me if any of you are interested in getting rid of some of those turkeys. I will gladly pay a daily fee for letting us hunt.

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/20/15 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: wbpc
Looking for a place to take my son this year. PM me if any of you are interested in getting rid of some of those turkeys. I will gladly pay a daily fee for letting us hunt.

As will I if the opportunity is available. Looking to take my wife for her first turkey hunt.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/21/15 01:48 AM

TurkeyHunter. What happened to that birds head? confused2

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/21/15 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
TurkeyHunter. What happened to that birds head? confused2

It was kind of rough looking since it came in close so it was not appropriate to show. The head was folded around to the side.

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/21/15 02:51 AM

We like to see that stuff! slinger
Posted By: HS2

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/23/15 02:47 PM

What counties are yall seeing the turkeys?
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/23/15 06:58 PM

PM me if you want to do some spring turkey hunting for a fee.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/23/15 07:10 PM

I'd be happy to help with this turkey problem. I normally charge a fee, but I could probably be talked into do it for free just this once. grin
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/23/15 08:43 PM

Hate Corn Buzzards

But they taste good
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/23/15 08:50 PM

Just need a Coon wearing a Hula Skirt to complete this picture
mad

Posted By: TooLow

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/23/15 08:52 PM

I had a lot of turkeys in my field this weekend and I saw my first bearded hen. Pretty cool
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/23/15 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TooLow
I had a lot of turkeys in my field this weekend and I saw my first bearded hen. Pretty cool
rifle grill

Re: Turkey....geez! - 11/24/15 12:22 AM

Can't wait till thanksgiving to eat the corn buzzard I shot! But I sure wish they would lay off the corn! As for helping me out with rifle the turkey population...I'm just on a lease...I don't own the land.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum