Texas Hunting Forum

Hit a doe with the truck....again

Posted By: ColemanCty

Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/09/15 03:31 PM

WOndering what the proper procedure is. I was driving home last night and hit a doe on the county road. Doe was still alive, but I could tell she was bunged up pretty bad. In that event, am I supposed to call the game warden so he can dispatch her? Leave her lay in the bar ditch? I know I can't snuff her, tag her and put her in the truck. Hate to see animals suffer. TIA
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/09/15 03:41 PM

Do what you gota do but legally GW or LEO are the only ones able to do so.

I wont let one suffer if it is past gone
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/09/15 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Do what you gota do but legally GW or LEO are the only ones able to do so.

I wont let one suffer if it is past gone

This, call the GW or Sheriff's office and get them to tell you what to do.

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/09/15 05:21 PM

Roger that. Thank you. I will not confess what I did, or didn't do, if you know what i'm sayin.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/09/15 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: ColemanCty
Roger that. Thank you. I will not confess what I did, or didn't do, if you know what i'm sayin.

You did, or didn't do the right thing, if I'm reading what you're not saying.

Also smart to not say anything more.
Posted By: allterrain

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/09/15 08:49 PM

We know you did the right thing? Which right thing did you do?

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/09/15 09:02 PM

cool
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/09/15 11:57 PM

I know the Game Wardens carry special tags for those situations and sometimes hand some of those tags out to State Troopers. If it was clearly an accident, and you are wanting to take the deer so it doesn't go to waste, they will tag it and let you have it.

Now if you swerved to hit a 12 point off the road and there are no skid marks or anything, you'll lose your vehicle. And according to the Game Warden in Tarrant County, people actually aim for bucks sometimes.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/10/15 07:58 AM

Worst thing is to leave them alive for another person to swerve and flip and die.
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/10/15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
I know the Game Wardens carry special tags for those situations and sometimes hand some of those tags out to State Troopers. If it was clearly an accident, and you are wanting to take the deer so it doesn't go to waste, they will tag it and let you have it.

Now if you swerved to hit a 12 point off the road and there are no skid marks or anything, you'll lose your vehicle. And according to the Game Warden in Tarrant County, people actually aim for bucks sometimes.

Seeing some of the bucks around Roanoke, Southlake, & Westlake...I could see that happening...
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/10/15 06:41 PM

be sure and get the person you talked to..name ect
Posted By: splash556

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/10/15 07:16 PM

............................If it was clearly an accident, and you are wanting to take the deer so it doesn't go to waste, they will tag it and let you have it.

My truck won't leave skid marks. Anti-lock brakes. Now if they're checking my skivies after hitting a deer, I might be able to provide proof of skid marks!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/10/15 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
be sure and get the person you talked to..name ect

lol you mean the secretary at the post office wasn't good enough? "she said it was fine if I put this $50 stamp on it"
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Hit a doe with the truck....again - 11/10/15 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: splash556
............................If it was clearly an accident, and you are wanting to take the deer so it doesn't go to waste, they will tag it and let you have it.

My truck won't leave skid marks. Anti-lock brakes. Now if they're checking my skivies after hitting a deer, I might be able to provide proof of skid marks!

My truck has anti-lock brakes. It left a skid mark when I hit a deer a couple months ago and I was driving under 30 mph. I've got a steel bumper so no damage to the truck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum