The real fun started... - 11/08/15 11:42 PM

Is it wrong....the REAL fun for me is the cooking wink

Russ

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 12:41 AM

food
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 12:43 AM

I'm with you. I've always loved being the camp cook. As an added bonus, everyone else gets cleanup duty.
Posted By: Western

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 12:45 AM

Camp wouldn't be the same without fellas like you (wash your hands often right LOL) I'm a great eater, so a great cook is a must roflmao
Posted By: wtr

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 01:02 AM

grill
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 01:31 AM

I did not have any dove this time around so I used some beef steaks that I then cut into large pieces, stuffed the jalapenos, and wrapped in bacon. I had corn on the cobb, red potatoes roasted for 4 hours with mushrooms, onions, and butter. Apple cobbler finished it off.

Day 2 was pork roast slow roasted with mashed potatoes and green beans and homemade sourdough biscuits.

I love having people to cook for wink

Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 02:11 AM

I don't care how far you are from me, I would not mind the drive, if I could get invited to one of those dinners.

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 02:53 AM

lol.. I'll get you an invite soon wink I am not doing a lot of hunting atm as we have our hands full trying to start a new house.. but keep in touch and I'll come up with a special menu for a visit.. heh

I do not always do the same thing, but apple cobbler is usually there as it just fits well with a ranch visit.

R
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 02:17 PM

Russ, you are the best camp chef I've ever had the pleasure of dining with. The are lucky to have you my friend. cheers food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 02:32 PM

Looks like a nice place/time. No loosing weight at that deer camp! roflmao

Spent the weekend at our place, just me and my old man we lived on biscuits sandwiches and hotdogs with PLENTY of sourkraut... was a gassy ride home.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 03:06 PM

Looks like good clean fun!

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 08:12 PM

Now yer lyin.. but that's okay wink I just love getting folks out there. We are going to add a boxwood stove next year so I can have a fire and have a pot of coffee always hot on the porch. I like my coffee no matter the time of day.

We are also building some more storage on the deck as well as the kitchen so I can make more room for baking stuff etc. Nothing like good buttermilk biscuits in the morning, and not out of a can. Takes me only a few minutes to throw it together, but I gotta get space.. heh. We are getting there, then it'll be a real "chuck wagon" style setup. Not everything gets cooked "over a fire" but if it's good enough, you won't care wink

Pitch, we need to get you and Mike back there soon and get another Axis.

Chevy - the worst bad weekend at the ranch beats the hell out of a good weekend stuck at home in a sub-division. I wish I had pulled the trigger and taken the kids out of school and drug them along though.. they would have made it more fun wink I spent a little time sitting on top of the hill and looking out over the ranch and thinking of life and my dad. He would have loved it out there. Those weekends with your dad, even on biscuits...gotta love them.

R
Posted By: rickym

Re: The real fun started... - 11/09/15 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell

I do not always do the same thing, but apple cobbler is usually there as it just fits well with a ranch visit.

It all sounds delicious. I agree with this statement, I prefer BlackBerry cobbler but they are all good. Not to big on peach.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: The real fun started... - 11/10/15 08:04 AM

Very nice. I got to camp early Friday and smoked a pork shoulder 9 hours for the next night. Went to sleep at 1 am. A kid got his first buck from a pen I cleared and feeder I filled and blind I cleaned out and told him about the buck seen. Maybe I'll get a big buck in return...
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: The real fun started... - 11/10/15 04:16 PM

I'll vouch for you, buddy. Helluva chef. flehan
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: The real fun started... - 11/11/15 12:39 AM

I will look forward to the biscuits, cobbler, and coffee Russ.

And of course another delicious Axis to go with it would be outstanding.

I look forward to helping you stock some quail in the freezer soon. cheers

Re: The real fun started... - 11/11/15 01:56 AM

I need to try blackberry sometime.. but I agree, not a huge fan of peach either.

Duck: make sure and let us know if you get that buck! I know 2 guys this weekend got their first buck. We thought they should get one vs us.. heh

Pitch, soon as I get healed up.. yer on wink

Russ
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum