Texas Hunting Forum

Gotta call from the lease

Posted By: Cast

Gotta call from the lease - 11/07/15 06:43 PM

The boys at the lease called in, they're muddy and wet. No deer seen, one bobcat down. Buddy's new 4x4 stuck 50 yards beyond my feeder. Look at the road behind my feeder. That's the high end of a long gentle slope so the farther you go, the deeper it gets.

He's driving his new 4x4 and thought it could walk on water I guess. I won't take the gator past my feeder when the road is covered like it is today. This is old pic but today this is how it looks in Throckmorton.

He asked me to haul my tractor out there and pull him out. Regretfully my trailer is parked out back in what is now standing water.

What's that we always say about the difference between 2wd and 4wd?

Is there anybody out there that can help him? Five miles east of town. He is trying a chain come along but there aren't many big trees out there to pull against.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/07/15 06:45 PM

4x4 only means you get further off the main road before you get stuck roflmao
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/07/15 06:47 PM

Yep. Four wheel drive gets you stuck farther off the road. Wish him luck For me.
Posted By: bull279

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/07/15 07:32 PM

4wd either gets you stuck twice as good or twice as fast.

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/07/15 07:34 PM

The difference is how far you gotta walk out.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/07/15 07:34 PM

Yep, when a 4x4 gets stuck he is stuck. Gonna be a rutted mess to repair when it does dry out.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/07/15 07:41 PM

Never good or fun. He can always try this grin

Posted By: Western

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/07/15 07:42 PM

One thing is for sure, probably wont happen again!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/07/15 08:33 PM

cheers Part of hunting... Son & i packed up ta head ta a WMA for a hunt... Hit town, could smelll brakes locked up on the Ram... Pulled inta gas station, banged on brakes, & got em free'd... Looked at son, could tell he was wanten ta still go just like me... Not looken good, asked if he still wanted ta go, twas before cell phones, he said yah, told him don't tell your mom... At WMA hit trail with standing water, started going threw, felt tires slip a little, so stopped, worried about brakes locking up again... We grabbed rifles, & hunted till close ta noon... Got help getting pulled out, couldn't even tell some one got stuck... If brakes wouldn't have up earlier, would have thrown in reversing, think could have gotten out, twas more slipping than stuck... Few weeks they'll laugh bout it.... Stay Safe... flag
Posted By: tlk

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/07/15 10:52 PM

yeah we packed up and came home - no way to get around our lease - nasty nasty mud and we are all in polaris, mules, etc. Sometimes you just plan to come back another day
Posted By: decook

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 01:29 AM

Hundred yards further and 2 feet deeper is what Dad said when I bought my 1st 4WD. He was right.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Cast
The difference is how far you gotta walk out.

up
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 01:50 AM

Always get the tow insurance as long as you aren't trying to get stuck they will pull you out best few dollars per month I spend.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
4x4 only means you get further off the main road before you get stuck roflmao

Put a winch on it and you can get even "stucker" further back in when you try to go places you have no business going to in the first place. I learned a long time ago it is easier to just walk in the last little bit than it is to dig the truck out after pushing it too far!

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 03:50 PM

Cast

Did they get him unstuck?

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 04:13 PM

popcorn Any up date ? Been honest & straight forward bout my bad grammer, rofl being held back in first grade, tis usdta being laughed at & made fun of... As pappy once said: i gotta be me, no one else wants the job... Things learned bout hunten, twas not in an English class, rather by wondering about the woods... WMA that hunt stays wet... At start of ATV trails theirs enough room were person can pull down & park, before the signs marked No Vehicles Beyond This Point , rofl spell check pitched in... Have asked people running it, if its okay ta park their... Never got no tickets nor had problems... If it looked too wet were thought would get stuck with 2wd, parked in different area... Twas driving main road with me Suzuki noticed several trucks lined up on side of road & on ATV trail a 4x4 stuck with several fellow hunters using come-a-long trying ta get hunters out... Went offered my assistance... Walking twards em, they asked, you the GW ? Replied no, but their is reason they have that sign... They put chain across ta stop others .. i got cheap posts.. Ogh, 2cents pulled SD card & switched batteries in a cam. 4 legged critters are moving, they left thar tracks... As pappy says: quit complaining & get out thar & hunt flag

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: bull279
Cast

Did they get him unstuck?

I checked. I'll update when he texts me back. Probably so or they would have hollered for my 4x4.

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 05:48 PM

Yes he is out. No details or pics yet.

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 06:45 PM

Be easy on em... Some need a sign

Quote:
No Vehicles Beyond This Point

rofl Others need a chain... <><><><><><>... flag
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 08:16 PM

When it gets this nasty I ride my horse to my stands. If he gets stuck we have major issues.

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 08:18 PM

Yes he is out. No details or pics yet.

Good deal. I'll bet it will be a heckuva story.

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 08:42 PM

He really tore up my recent road work. Rookie 4x4 driver I guess, trial of passage.

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 10:26 PM

He took on the road I recently cleared. My road won.
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/08/15 10:32 PM

That man is a damn fool. Opening weekend, a lot of rain, 1/2 ton stock truck, 50 yards from another man's feeder, do I need to add more? Now you get to have your azz bounced around rest of season due to him.

You are a calmer man than me Amigo.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 05:35 PM

I grew up with a 2wd ive been stuck my fair share of times im pretty cautious about what I drive into. And I thank the Lord that when it rains at our place the sand gets firmer!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 05:39 PM

my experience is different from ya'lls...my 4 wheel drive keeps me from getting stuck in wet grass, medians, sand and other stuff that stops 4x2's almost immediately.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 05:42 PM

How high's the water, Mama?

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: GUTIT

That man is a damn fool. Opening weekend, a lot of rain, 1/2 ton stock truck, 50 yards from another man's feeder, do I need to add more? Now you get to have your azz bounced around rest of season due to him.

You are a calmer man than me Amigo.

He's the youngun of the group, a Marine, and this is his first outing in his new 4x4. Notice the paper plates. I'll clean up the road next trip out, gonna need the tractor anyhow. I'll give him a break this time. His dumbarse buddy was egging him on and he is plenty hacked about that.

Funny thing is - He has a nice ATV in camp, it would've walked right through it. New 4x4 syndrome...

I'm just a big ol softie.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 06:02 PM

He just didn't hit it fast enough. That's how you get your truck to "walk on water"

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Enter Standman
He just didn't hit it fast enough. That's how you get your truck to "walk on water"

If you have wide tires, speed through and try to float on top. If you have tall skinny tires, hope that when you sink down you hit something solid.

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 06:23 PM

He would've never made it. Going that way around he would need to clear another mile of lowlands. That part he is stuck in is the high ground of the swamp. I don't know why he didn't go around the other way. He still would not have made it to the stand, but close enough to slog it the rest of the way.

I told him I wouldn't take the Gator through that stuff even though it might actually make it, and it has a front mounted winch.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 06:29 PM

Same guy?

Stuck Truck Thread

You sir have the patience of Job, Cast. If one of our lease boys did that, I'd rip them a new one.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 06:52 PM

If you have wide tires, speed through and try to float on top. If you have tall skinny tires, hope that when you sink down you hit something solid.

I should probably put in my sig that most of my advice is given tongue-in-cheek. If it sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do, it's probably just egging on someone who just made a less stupid mistake.

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Same guy?

Stuck Truck Thread

You sir have the patience of Job, Cast. If one of our lease boys did that, I'd rip them a new one.

Wow! That is the same truck. I guess Gremlin is is dumbarse buddy that urged him forward. Did not know that.

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 07:24 PM

I should probably put in my sig that most of my advice is given tongue-in-cheek. If it sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do, it's probably just egging on someone who just made a less stupid mistake.

There's a lot of tight turns, no way to get through them at speed. Not to mention axle breaking holes and surely washouts by now.
Posted By: cletusbodeen

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/09/15 09:26 PM

Same guy?

Stuck Truck Thread

Same one.
Gemlin and I went over to visit. The guy that stuck is friends with Gemlin.
Once stuck we run back to our lease and grabbed my winch and chains. We got it pulled out with the winch.
The guy that got stuck was in 4low and had traction control on. He's still learning how to operate a 4x4.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/10/15 04:32 AM

Never been stuck in my 4x4s. Buy a real one. Lockers front and rear, use appropriate tires and make smart decisions and you won't get stuck.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/10/15 06:25 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Never been stuck in my 4x4s. Buy a real one. Lockers front and rear, use appropriate tires and make smart decisions and you won't get stuck.

Main point there is "make smart decisions", some have to learn the hard way to make better decisions in the future
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/10/15 07:28 AM

Luckily there were no cameras on phones back in the day... We all did the same dang thing. That's why you see so many jacked up trucks on giant rims now. They learned from us.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/10/15 11:52 AM

roflmao

Unfortunate that he had to learn the hard way but sometimes that's what it takes. Young and dumb...most of us have been there...
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/10/15 02:03 PM

[quote=GUTIT]Funny thing is - He has a nice ATV in camp, it would've walked right through it.

Yep, some guys buy a 4WD and never want to miss the chance to see how bad a mud hole they can make it through. Obviously, it didn't take this poor lad long to find one that would bust his ego.

Albeit a truck or ATV, he'll eventually get old enough where going around them doesn't bother him at all.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/10/15 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: cletusbodeen
Same guy?

Stuck Truck Thread

Same one.
Gemlin and I went over to visit. The guy that stuck is friends with Gemlin.
Once stuck we run back to our lease and grabbed my winch and chains. We got it pulled out with the winch.
The guy that got stuck was in 4low and had traction control on. He's still learning how to operate a 4x4.

All that and no mention of a plan to repair the road. SMH.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/10/15 05:01 PM

I have a simple rule of thumb that's served me well driving my 4x4. If I might get through with a 4x2, I'll take it with the 4x4, if I might get through with the 4x4, I find another route.

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/10/15 05:12 PM

^^^ That's a good rule. I'll borrow that if you don't mind.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/10/15 06:49 PM

Been there myself. Young guns think if it looks awesome it is unstoppable just the same way they think about themselves. They will learn they are not invincible and neither are 4wd drives no matter how cool they look.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Gotta call from the lease - 11/10/15 10:35 PM

UH-O
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum