Texas Hunting Forum

Rain damage on your place..

Posted By: Mr. T.

Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 01:40 PM

Just wondering what last weeks rain did to your hunting area. My land was fine in my hunting area, but I could not get in because the rain washed out a brand new, one week old, $4,000 culvert from the road.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 02:03 PM

OUCH!!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 02:34 PM

Looks like you need a bigger or double that size tin horn. The good news is most of the road base is still there and the tin horn. Just going to take a bit more cash to repair that. I am lucky in that I have a place that drains away from the high spot my house sits on. The rest is a gentle slope so the water is moving through grass and brush to slow it down before it exits my place.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 02:39 PM

Not sure what your flow line is like in that ditch, but my first impression is you need to bury that CMP a bit deeper. If you can get 2' of cover over it, that's ideal and be sure to compact your fill around the pipe with a jumping jack which you can rent as that dirt mixed with that small rock will wash out every time under those conditions and in heavy rains.

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 02:50 PM

Was or is this entrance off a state maintained highway right of way?
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 02:50 PM

I'm almost afraid to go see my place in Nacogdoches. It floods with anything over a few inches" of rain and they got that 3 weeks in a row if thurs/Fri forecast comes true.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 02:56 PM

Looks like the water washed away the loose soil that was used to backfill the culvert. Adding concrete to the entry side would help a lot, especially with more rains coming!!!
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 04:02 PM

top of culvert not even below grade (red), and no-way covered over enough (yellow = 2" ??) to handle rated load.
This install is doomed in every way possible.

I had a 30' oak fall over, but it was half rotted anyway - edge of field, so no damage or worries, just plenty of firewood!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 04:20 PM

Yep, I think you get a do-over on the culvert install. I'm assuming you did it yourself?

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 04:40 PM

Yes, this is the entrance off a hwy onto my property.

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 04:40 PM

Who installed it?

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 04:41 PM

No, I did not do it myself, I paid a company to do it.

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 04:43 PM

I do not want to say who installed it because they said they will come out and redo it. If they do not, then I will let everyone know who it was.

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 04:49 PM

OK, now we're cookin with Propane!
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 04:58 PM

Mr T. If you or anyone else need any recommendations for dirt work west of Fort Worth let me know. I operate a mining operation near Weatherford and have a pretty good feel for who is good, honest, and does jobs right. As others mentioned that was not done correctly at all for the price tag especially.

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 05:07 PM

Thanks, MoBettaHuntR, I'm keeping your name and will send you a pm for information if it is not redone correctly or not done at all.
Posted By: Western

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
Mr T. If you or anyone else need any recommendations for dirt work west of Fort Worth let me know. I operate a mining operation near Weatherford and have a pretty good feel for who is good, honest, and does jobs right. As others mentioned that was not done correctly at all for the price tag especially.

Gilbert pit?

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.

Did you have Texas Highway Dept come out and look at the location to give the okay on how to get it installed? I was told you had to have them come out and inspect the location and give approval. I had to also get them to measure and do a drawing for installation to their requirements. I had to put in a 18" tin horn(for location and volume of water flowing in the ditch) with road base material to cover(6" below highway) and angled concrete ends. I had to call them when I was going to installation so they could come out to inspect it again when it was done and give me their okay.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 09:27 PM

I have some new ruts at my place in Montague County, nothing horrible, but the heavy rains have certainly worked the landscape.

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Did you have Texas Highway Dept come out and look at the location to give the okay on how to get it installed? I was told you had to have them come out and inspect the location and give approval. I had to also get them to measure and do a drawing for installation to their requirements. I had to put in a 18" tin horn(for location and volume of water flowing in the ditch) with road base material to cover(6" below highway) and angled concrete ends. I had to call them when I was going to installation so they could come out to inspect it again when it was done and give me their okay.

Same deal here STX, I know for a fact it applies to state highways, never checked on county roads.

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Same deal here STX, I know for a fact it applies to state highways, never checked on county roads.

I live on a FM road and that is why I had to call them out to see what I could get done with the entrance. They won't just let you put an entrance in anywhere you want to these days. Used to be you bought the culvert and materials and they installed it the correct way they wanted it installed. That doesn't happen anymore.

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 11:11 PM

I live on a FM road and that is why I had to call them out to see what I could get done with the entrance. They won't just let you put an entrance in anywhere you want to these days. Used to be you bought the culvert and materials and they installed it the correct way they wanted it installed. That doesn't happen anymore.

Yes sir, times are changing. BTW, Used to be able to just hire out and put in a water well. I was told by a driller when I had to change my pump this summer, you now need a permit, so now they have a record of all new wells..I wonder if that is a prerequisite to taxing water use they have talked about for so long?

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 11:26 PM

Yes sir, times are changing. BTW, Used to be able to just hire out and put in a water well. I was told by a driller when I had to change my pump this summer, you now need a permit, so now they have a record of all new wells..I wonder if that is a prerequisite to taxing water use they have talked about for so long?

My county has a Ground Water Conservation District. They have to permit all wells here and GPS them (new or old). With that I had a neighbor tell me that if you drill your own well it does not need a permit from the GWCD as told to him by the GWCD. If you hire someone then it must be permited.

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/04/15 11:40 PM

My county has a Ground Water Conservation District. They have to permit all wells here and GPS them (new or old). With that I had a neighbor tell me that if you drill your own well it does not need a permit from the GWCD as told to him by the GWCD. If you hire someone then it must be permited.

1st I heard of excisting wels needing mapping, but I can see they won't let that stop a new tax..Interesting about if you drill your own, pretty safe bet for them, as most folks don't have the ability/equipment to drill.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/05/15 12:52 AM

Our road to the ranch house got washed out very bad from the two storms. Still able to drive down it though. We have water coming out of the ground in places I have never seen.

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/05/15 02:32 AM

I got a permit from Hwy department for the culvert and gave the company who put it in the hwy departments drawing, etc of how it had to be put in.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/05/15 05:30 AM

Our damage was from the June storms. Our pond dam broke twice and one road is rutted so bad you will bottom out and get stuck. We found out the hard way. Had a nice mile and a half walk back to camp at 1:30 one evening.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/05/15 05:45 AM

Our place is on a FM road, last time they worked the road, they put in a concrete culvert and paved right up the gate. We used to have a caliche mud hole there, that we have filled up a few hundred times with rocks from the fields. Now it is nice, we pull off of pavement, through the gate and on to our own caliche road all the way to the house.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/05/15 01:50 PM

Can't get to my place to see. Entrance is washed out.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/05/15 03:27 PM

cheers Times have changed... We first moved here, had ta haul water... We put back money for a water meter, confused2 ended up with water well... Never did have it tested for drinking... As pappy says: doing best i can with what little i got ... Just started raining, rofl got the pots & pans out... A drip is a drop, a drop is water, water is nature, & nature tis Beautiful ... Every one has thar own opinion, rofl mine stinks, tend ta fart a lot... Ya look at all these, water bottleing companies... Was a city water-meter-reader during the water wars... Lakes were dry... It wasn't a popular job, some one had ta do it, rofl tis amazing, we would get caught up & go help out in other departments... Yet they choose high-tech over workers.... Didn't do no good ta complain... Their was things we did, that machine doesn't do... So here the rain tis a Blessing ... As pappy once said: a person with an open mind, has a wider point of view ... flag
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/05/15 09:51 PM

How about this one?

Spend countless hours this summer prepping for deer season. Guess I'm going fishing instead.

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Rain damage on your place.. - 11/06/15 02:04 AM

I think you got taken pretty good on that installation.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum