Texas Hunting Forum

Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer?

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 01:51 AM

If so what kind of gloves work best?

I have arthritis in my hands and cleaning a deer in the cold/rain is a little more challenging. Anyone else deal with this? Is there anything you do that helps?

Thanks,

Mel
Posted By: JCB

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 01:53 AM

I use heavy duty disposable dish washing gloves with the long arm guards on them. You can gut a deer with pretty much no blood on you at all. I use to get them at Dollar Tree but the last ones I bought were not worth a dang.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 01:55 AM

And to combat the cold and rain just do the gutting and skinning while the deer is still warm. The body heat from the animal should be enough to keep your hands warm with the exception of extreme cold temps.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 01:59 AM

My wife works for a eye doctor, so it's usually those rubber exam gloves!!! up
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 01:59 AM

I use surgical gloves. I don't mind the blood but it makes my hands much easier to clean when I have finished.,
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 02:01 AM

I try to remember to wear them, but I usually just jump in to try and get the job done and forget the gloves.
I have big hands and have to go to a medical supply (Oakdell Pharmacy here in San Antonio) to get the X-large size. They are a bit tougher than the normal store bought ones too.
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 02:36 AM

I like to use latex gloves to skin (being very careful not to touch the meat while skinning). Then after I'm done skinning, I discard the gloves and quarter the deer with my bare hands. This keeps the meat clean and pretty much eliminates any gaminess. I almost never gut them. I trim what I can from the ribs and neck and sometimes sneak in behind the guts to get the tenderloins. On a whitetail, you don't miss much by skipping the gutting and it makes it so much easier to keep your meat clean.

Pablo
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 02:43 AM

I have my son, or one of my nephews do the field dressing and loading. If they hear me shoot, whoever is closest knows he better have his knife ready when he gets back to the cabin. up
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 03:03 AM

Dish washing gloves. easy to wash off and keeps the blood off my hands.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
I use heavy duty disposable dish washing gloves with the long arm guards on them. You can gut a deer with pretty much no blood on you at all. I use to get them at Dollar Tree but the last ones I bought were not worth a dang.

Same here!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 03:14 AM

Grouting gloves from Home Depot work pretty well, when I remember them and remember to put them on.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 03:17 AM

No never remember to bring them
Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: DonPablo
I like to use latex gloves to skin (being very careful not to touch the meat while skinning). Then after I'm done skinning, I discard the gloves and quarter the deer with my bare hands. This keeps the meat clean and pretty much eliminates any gaminess. I almost never gut them. I trim what I can from the ribs and neck and sometimes sneak in behind the guts to get the tenderloins. On a whitetail, you don't miss much by skipping the gutting and it makes it so much easier to keep your meat clean.

Pablo

Just wondering if you use the ribs or just throw the ribs away with the internal organs? I might be reading your post wrong but can you explain what you do after you take the front and back quarters off the deer?
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 04:23 AM

These.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-100-pc-x-large-68498.html
Posted By: passthru

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 04:35 AM

Jersey gloves under 5mil Nitril gloves.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Pablo

Just wondering if you use the ribs or just throw the ribs away with the internal organs? I might be reading your post wrong but can you explain what you do after you take the front and back quarters off the deer?

Same here. I haven't gutted a deer in over 10 years. Take out the back straps, then quarters, and neck meat. The ribs don't hold much meat and what's there is usually fat and grissel. Takes me 30 minutes to skin and quarter the deer, the rest goes back into the food chain for the yotes rifle
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 05:33 AM

Mechanic heavy latex gloves, I use them a lot
Posted By: splash556

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 05:57 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Pablo

Same here. I haven't gutted a deer in over 10 years. Take out the back straps, then quarters, and neck meat. The ribs don't hold much meat and what's there is usually fat and grissel. Takes me 30 minutes to skin and quarter the deer, the rest goes back into the food chain for the yotes rifle

Yup. X3. Call me lazy, but it's quick and a lot cleaner.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 09:00 AM

I use the vinyl gloves from Walmart. Work great and actually help keep your hands warmer when skinning on a cold day. I also think they help you grip parts of the deer better, which is safer IMHO.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 12:45 PM

this
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 01:08 PM

I use dish washing gloves. They work well
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 01:46 PM

scratch huntsolo here... Just so happens made a video on that very topic & pud it on me FB page several years ago... laytex gloves work best, yagh, ya never know when ya be down in the woods, cleaning a deer or hog, & your butt go ta itchen don't wanna spoil de meat... flag
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 02:16 PM

I use them, buy them from snap-on they are called double tough and the fingers are knurled.

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 02:25 PM

you don't miss much by skipping the gutting and it makes it so much easier to keep your meat clean.

Pablo

cheers huntsolo here, way back down in the hollows... When ya get a hog down, ya figure out short cuts, some times the elaments do connect, & a spark of sannaty kicks in... Hog on it side, take backstrap & quarters, roll over repete... No gutting through meat in trash bags, then in backpack... Been doing this since the 90's when opened up a WMA down the road... GW can tell differance between a deer & hogs feet... Just leave little hide around holf, for those that rofl slept threw English class... Tell'em the caveman taught ya... rofl i got cheap posts... cheers cool thread... flag
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 02:37 PM

I use the latex gloves, and put on my rain coat! I'll take off the gloves when I'm done, and wash off the rain coat. I also do not gut the deer. I'll hang the deer up by its rear legs, and get just enough of the guts moved to get the tenderloins.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 02:47 PM

Nope.. I don't gut the deer either.. stays with the ribcage.. no gloves needed but if you want some the Kevlar gloves are nice
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 03:06 PM

This is what we do as well. Also if you have a good pair of loppers/hack saw you can get through the ribs and spine very quickly with a couple of snips to access the tenderloins easily.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 03:09 PM

Yes
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 03:35 PM

I don't use gloves even though I probably should. To me, getting a little blood on your hands is just part of hunting.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 03:43 PM

Depends on which vehicle I'm in, where I'm at and what I'm wearing. Always have shoulder length OB gloves in the tool box just bc I never know when I'm going to be shoulder deep off in a cow this time of year, so might as well put them on for easy clean up. If I'm out or not in my truck then it's not a crisis.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 04:59 PM

I use them but I need to buy some that are a little thicker, I always rip the index finger.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 05:10 PM

I like to use gloves but I'm always forgetting to use them. I hang the deer head down when I cape/quarter so I can easily get the tenderloins.Guts are usually left inside the rib cage but it just depends of if the customer wants the ribs or not. If its a hog, I wouldn't attempt without gloves. Too many people I have known to get some type of bacterial infection from hogs when they get a cut on their hand and hog blood get on the cut. But with our deer and antelope I have never had that problem.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 05:14 PM

I wear palpating gloves that go up to my biceps and put latex gloves over the hands. Never get a spot of blood on me and can gut a deer faster since I am not worrying about getting blood all over me. Peel the whole thing off and dispose of when I'm through.

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Depends on which vehicle I'm in, where I'm at and what I'm wearing. Always have shoulder length OB gloves in the tool box just bc I never know when I'm going to be shoulder deep off in a cow this time of year, so might as well put them on for easy clean up. If I'm out or not in my truck then it's not a crisis.

As i've gotten up in-years, i don't leave home with out em... Never know when accident may accure, they keep me dry & warm... i got cheap posts... flag
Posted By: CoachKM

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 05:51 PM

I always use the the surgical latex gloves.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 06:03 PM

Thick nitrile. They seem to tear less than latex
Posted By: Western

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 06:04 PM

Always have surgical gloves in my pack, have two boxes in the Camper. Always use them.

FYI, those gloves are great for starting a fire if you get caught out in bad weather, I have used them several times for that in Colorado, may not be a need here though.
Posted By: DeadRooster

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 06:42 PM

6.3mil powder-free Nitril examination gloves (the black ones that many tattoo artists wear).
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 09:23 PM

I just buy the latex gloves. I can gut a doe and get no blood on me. If I intend to mount a buck, I typically get a little on my arms.

Usually i am driving my pickup after I load the animal in it so I always have gloves with me so I dont get blood all over my the inside of my truck.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 09:29 PM

I keep a large box of latex gloves in my cleaning kit. Sometimes cleaning more than one deer at a time. I learned many years ago that deer blood dries and cracks the skin on my hands really bad. Then the blood also stains my hands after a while. I also had to gut every deer to check things on them for the records. We kept all the cleaned deer in a walk-in. No time to skin everyone of them.
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/03/15 09:43 PM

I guess I'd be the black sheep.

I've worn gloves exactly 1 time while cleaning an animal. This would also be the only time that I've ever cut myself very badly.

I don't wear them, be it deer, hog, birds, whatever.

I also never leave the guts in any animal. Wouldnt even think of it. As soon as they hit the ground, I spill the innards and get the meat to cooling down.
Posted By: Bradgrace

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
I wear palpating gloves that go up to my biceps and put latex gloves over the hands. Never get a spot of blood on me and can gut a deer faster since I am not worrying about getting blood all over me. Peel the whole thing off and dispose of when I'm through.

This is what I do too.
Posted By: bull279

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 01:44 AM

Nitrile gloves. Always have a few spares. Like stated above, blow out the index finger alot.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 02:00 AM

I use the thicker dish washing type gloves. I don't use them 100& of the time with deer, but I do with hogs.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 03:09 AM

Thanks guys! I went and bought a pair of gloves tonight and I hope to use them this coming weekend!
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 05:20 AM

Yep. Not enough meat on whitetail ribs. I do trim what I can from the outside but rarely bother cutting the ribs off.

Pablo
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco
I guess I'd be the black sheep.

I've worn gloves exactly 1 time while cleaning an animal. This would also be the only time that I've ever cut myself very badly.

I don't wear them, be it deer, hog, birds, whatever.

I also never leave the guts in any animal. Wouldnt even think of it. As soon as they hit the ground, I spill the innards and get the meat to cooling down.

I also don't wear any gloves. I also always gut my kill so I can and hang it in our walk-in cooler. Our lease has a nice cleaning station, so I'll usually wait to gut the animal until I get it back there, unless it is warm outside or I'm going to sit in the blind a while longer.
Posted By: Skyline

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 03:18 PM

Like many on here so far, if I get my deer where it has to be packed out I do not gut them, I remove the quarters, backstop, neck meat, tenderloins and ribs. All can be done from the outside.............. same way the Dene indians in Canada's far north do caribou.

If near home I take the game animal home whole, hang/gut/skin in the shop and put the dressed carcass in my walk in cooler. In the shop I wear gloves when I have them. I find them hard to get as I take a XXL or XXXL, depending on the make and the cheap ones just break apart on my hands when I am wearing them.
Posted By: Birdshot101

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I don't use gloves even though I probably should. To me, getting a little blood on your hands is just part of hunting.

+1
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 04:10 PM

If I have some handy I will. Most of the time no.
Posted By: crumrw

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 06:28 PM

I understand the mess with guttin them, but you miss the ribs,heart,liver and tenderloins. On our family trips, those are our camp groceries. No gut, no eat smile

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: crumrw
I understand the mess with guttin them, but you miss the ribs,heart,liver and tenderloins. On our family trips, those are our camp groceries. No gut, no eat smile

You can still get the tenders very easily... heart and liver really wouldn't be an issue either but that's fish bait more than anything.. ribs would make a nice bird cage I guess grin

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 06:37 PM

Will say heart aint all that bad... know a lot of people that eat them..
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 08:53 PM

Latex covered by the large yellow dishwasher gloves. I use them for all game cleaning.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 09:02 PM

Always disposable latex gloves.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/04/15 09:23 PM

I skin deer with my jeep or ground anchor, quarter them and cut out backs traps. Make 2 little cuts to grab the tenderloins and never gut them. After a week on ice there isn't much blood to clean up while processing it.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/05/15 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Always disposable latex gloves.

This^^^^^Deer and hogs....
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/05/15 02:20 AM

NO
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/05/15 04:38 PM

I use the black nitrile gloves or surgical gloves. Diamond grip gloves are good, too!

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/05/15 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch huntsolo here... Just so happens made a video on that very topic & pud it on me FB page several years ago... laytex gloves work best, yagh, ya never know when ya be down in the woods, cleaning a deer or hog, & your butt go ta itchen don't wanna spoil de meat... flag

popcorn tough crowd... Made a video as an ontipanure , as ol saying goes bout opinions, rofl pappy say's: mine stinks , twas gonna send it ta TV show Sharks.. Cure for Nail Bitters.. Laytex Gloves... Yagh, never know when your butt go ta itchen... flag
Posted By: crumrw

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/05/15 06:27 PM

Navasot, you might be pick-n your teeth for a while afterwards, but I love me some deer ribs. food

Anyway, can you explain the technique to get the tenders out without gutting? Sounds interesting on those trips where there isn't a good place to clean an animal and clean up afterwards...also on hogs.

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/05/15 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: crumrw
Navasot, you might be pick-n your teeth for a while afterwards, but I love me some deer ribs. food

Anyway, can you explain the technique to get the tenders out without gutting? Sounds interesting on those trips where there isn't a good place to clean an animal and clean up afterwards...also on hogs.

trick is to be sure and hang them up by their legs.. need nothing more than a rope and a good tree branch. once you skin it take off the shoulders and then straps this way you can get every bit of the straps that lay behind the shoulders.. from there take the flanks and either cut them down or off if you want to keep them.. now your left with a rib cage and the insides are laying down low inside of it... you now have full access to the tenders. get those off then find a vertebrae right near the pelvis and cut though the soft cartilage in-between it and the ribs/guts and all will fall down into your bucket below if you have one. then your left with the hams that you can either use wompers to split or I just cut around the joints on each side and do away with the pelvis all and all... nothing left from there than cutting the knee joins and doing away with the leg/hoof.. Its quick easy and no mess.. and best thing is you should not need any type of wompers or saw during any part of the skinning/quartering process.. id don't even keep one around anymore

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/05/15 09:20 PM

OH! Before you hand up the deer cut down the skin from the rear hoof down past the leg joint your going to hang it from... cutting around that can be tricky while its under pressure
Posted By: bp3

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/05/15 09:48 PM

Didn't use them for years until around 20 years ago my hands would break out with a rash, sure it was from the hair. rifle
Posted By: PMK

Re: Do any of you wear gloves while gutting and skinning deer? - 11/05/15 10:11 PM

I have tried using the blue surgical gloves a few times, most of the time I rip them trying to put them on ... I wear xxl or xxxl work gloves, so the OTC surgical gloves are typically a one size fits most (and I don't fit in the most category). There is no telling how many hundreds, if not thousands of deer & hogs I have gutted/skinned in my life without gloves (my dad was allergic to deer hair, so I got to do all his, my mom's, most of my bros, uncles, cousins, etc. (low man on totem pole)). I can see gloves helping with clean up a bit and mostly keeping the blood odor off your hands, but oh well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum