Texas Hunting Forum

Follow up on the coon problem...

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/02/15 10:07 PM

Guys,

It was good I went to the lease this past Sat. I had a great time and saw so much it was a real hoot! But the reason I went was to build a cage around my second feeder in order to keep the coons away from the spinner plate. When I got to the feeder and saw the water under the stand I initially considered putting it off and then I checked the level of the corn and wow! I couldn't afford to wait another week. Two weeks ago I topped the feeder off, 300 lb feeder, and it was close to empty. Once the cage was finished I filled it and it took 6 forty lb bags and would have held another 20lbs. It's nuts how much corn those coons were spinning out! Two weeks and 240+ lbs of corn! They broke my solar panel, bent it down, and used it to sit on while spinning the corn out. Got photo to prove it.

Here are the before and after pics of the feeder and pen. It definitely isn't pretty but it definitely works!

Posted By: allterrain

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/02/15 10:15 PM

PVC pipe works. I had coons trip the crank latch and the feeder unreeled to the ground and they emptied it out. Put the pvc on and have not seen any more coons climbing the poles or hanging off the feeder motor. I don't even see any more coons on my cam pics.

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/02/15 10:28 PM

Nice bucks!
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/02/15 10:30 PM

That's a very nice "jungle jim" you built for those coons!!! clap
If you have a 12v motor with a 1/4" shaft, all you would have to do is put a Eliminator spin plate on and be done with it!!! wink
Posted By: Western

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/02/15 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
That's a very nice "jungle jim" you built for those coons!!! clap
If you have a 12v motor with a 1/4" shaft, all you would have to do is put a Eliminator spin plate on and be done with it!!! wink

This^^^

But it would be funny as hell to see the cage covered in coons when the feeder went off, like spraying flys with a pesticide LOL
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/02/15 11:07 PM

I'm a fan of the pvc solution too. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best.
Posted By: Kawabuggy

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/03/15 02:05 AM

It would be awesome if you had one of those internet linked game cameras and a way to briefly electrify the cage around the spinner motor. Think about it, just log in, and if the coons are hanging from the cage, send the signal to turn on an electric cow fence type device attached to the cage and watch the coons fly! That would be an epic video to watch. Maybe a step up coil to really boost the amperage and approach lethal limits for the coons.. Even better. Watch them fall off the cage like squirrels fall off power lines-smoking and/or on fire!!!!

Somebody needs to do this!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/04/15 03:11 AM

I have pvc on one feeder and it does work. Now they go into a tree, out a limb and drop down on top of the barrel. They never give up
Posted By: soooo

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/04/15 06:52 AM

Smear axle grease on the legs.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/04/15 02:08 PM

Buy Eliminator Plates and you can get rid of all that other Smoke and Mirrors..
PVC
Grease
Tack Strips

It wont stop them
Posted By: TruTexican

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/04/15 03:37 PM

I do the simple coon cages and the eliminator plates. Solves the problem for sure. Before I put the plates on, I had pics with 9 or 10 coons in the frame. Now I just get pics of them eating off the ground sometimes. I also trap as many coons and skunks as possible in the off season. That has seemed to help as well.
Posted By: TruTexican

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/04/15 03:39 PM

By the way, I've used a cage like that before and the thing I didn't like about it was that it makes the corn pile up under the feeder and not scatter very well.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/06/15 02:16 AM

you need to spend several weekends during the year down there spotlighting those coons. We started going after them and the skunks about 7 years ago and now we have a lot less problem with them. Also has helped the turkey population.
Posted By: Drop 1

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/06/15 01:14 PM

I like the PVC Trick but as bad as we have wasps in some of the feeder spinning units during the off season I would imagine that filling both ends of the pipe with spray foam would be a good fix for that problem. I built custom cages out of 1/2'' expanded metal with doors to access the unit and have had no problem. We all run CCC dispensing units
Posted By: Two 10's

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/09/15 08:31 PM

tried cages, PVC pipe, tac strips and spincast eliminator and coons still clean corn up on ground so i bought some dog proof coon traps, set them with mashmellows and dog food my problems were over in a month, no more coons and the kids had a blast with a 22 when we checked feeders every morning.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/10/15 01:10 AM

I really think they are part of the quail problem, years ago, there weren't as many. Now they're all over eating everything, including my wire and tractor seat. They also have rabies.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/10/15 04:18 AM

Coons, skunks, opossum, fox. All hard on ground nesting birds. Quail and turkey.
Posted By: bg75074

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/12/15 12:58 PM

I have the same issue, hard on the feeder, I however have a blind which is also where I sleep and can literally get up at any time of night and see 3-6 coons, should I be shooting them?
Posted By: kry226

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/12/15 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: bg75074
I have the same issue, hard on the feeder, I however have a blind which is also where I sleep and can literally get up at any time of night and see 3-6 coons, should I be shooting them?

Absolutely! Execute with violence.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Follow up on the coon problem... - 11/12/15 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Coons, skunks, opossum, fox. All hard on ground nesting birds. Quail and turkey.

All natural known preditors, 2cents been working on the fire ants here... flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum