Texas Hunting Forum

Pheasant-Game Bird or Not??

Posted By: Mako1970

Pheasant-Game Bird or Not?? - 10/20/15 04:38 PM

Has anyone ever pondered why the pheasant is considered a game bird in Texas? They are not from here. They fit the defintion stated by TPWD as exotic fowl since they are not indigenous to North America. They list other birds that fit this same description and they are not regulated. I don't pheasant hunt but it seems TPWD has conflicting requirements for this particular bird. Just wondering what others think about this.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Pheasant-Game Bird or Not?? - 10/20/15 04:48 PM

When I checked on this Pheasant Requires an upland bird stamp. If I am not mistaken that is federal. Some one please correct me on this if I am wrong.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Pheasant-Game Bird or Not?? - 10/20/15 04:57 PM

scratch Now that ya mention it... With my limited grammer, cause it tasts gamie instead of like chicken... 2cents Have hunted pheasant since was a wee-lad up north, as game birds... Pheasants & partrage compete for same type foods & are not considered migratory birds , they weather the cold winters.... flag
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Pheasant-Game Bird or Not?? - 10/20/15 05:04 PM

The upland bird stamp is not Federal. It's however the state wants to classify them, if enough people consider them a game bird, they will be classified as such. It's a political distiction not biological.
Posted By: davidls430

Re: Pheasant-Game Bird or Not?? - 10/20/15 08:22 PM

This is just like the fishes that swim on our lakes and rivers. If there is enough public that believes, it will be controlled.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum