Texas Hunting Forum

Bee removal

Posted By: tlk

Bee removal - 10/19/15 10:34 AM

We have a huge swarm of bees in deer camp. Problem is they are under our 40 foot storage container. They are aggressive. Anyone know of bee removal person in South Texas?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Bee removal - 10/19/15 10:40 AM

Many on here will tell you to find a bee keeper and he will remove them, shortage of honey bees, etc., etc. That's easier said than done. I couldn't find anyone willing out by Sanderson. The exterminator said that not many want to risk getting some Africanized bees. You stating that they're aggressive sets off alarm bells. Call an exterminator and kill 'em.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Bee removal - 10/19/15 10:47 AM

That's been my experience as well.

I had a hive in a barn a few years ago and called every beekeeper in north Texas and not a single one wanted to come out. Due to my wanting to save the comb, one fella did suggest to wait on a cold day and then spray the hive down with water. He said this would kill the bees in short order and not contaminate the comb.

If that's not up your alley, I agree with Creek in that you should just hire a quality exterminator. Seems like you may have to be prepared to lift the container as well though.
Posted By: texasair

Re: Bee removal - 10/19/15 02:03 PM

I keep bees in the NW Houston area. Here are my thoughts.

In South Texas you are more likely to have some African genes, be careful.

A proper removal will include removing all the eggs, larvae, pollen and honey as well as the bees. This will require some sort of access to the area.
It is hard messy work, and most beekeepers will charge to do it plus travel compensation.

If all of the comb containing all of the above is not removed and the bees are simply killed by an exterminator, you will have continuing problems with varmints, wax moths, rodents, ants, and re infestation by more bees.

Your best bet is to find a local beekeeper, at least you will save on travel expense.

You did not mention the specific location, "South Texas" is a pretty big area. Post up the nearest town.
I have some beekeeper buddies south of San Antonio I may be able to refer to you.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Bee removal - 10/19/15 02:18 PM

There are some beekeepers in the Pearsall area.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Bee removal - 10/19/15 02:50 PM

Smoke em out... Get fire going pile leaves, dead grass & such... flag
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Bee removal - 10/19/15 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
We have a huge swarm of bees in deer camp. Problem is they are under our 40 foot storage container. They are aggressive. Anyone know of bee removal person in South Texas?

Mark, John Janowski.......is this you guys?
Posted By: tlk

Re: Bee removal - 10/19/15 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: texasair

A proper removal will include removing all the eggs, larvae, pollen and honey as well as the bees. This will require some sort of access to the area.
It is hard messy work, and most beekeepers will charge to do it plus travel compensation.

If all of the comb containing all of the above is not removed and the bees are simply killed by an exterminator, you will have continuing problems with varmints, wax moths, rodents, ants, and re infestation by more bees.

Your best bet is to find a local beekeeper, at least you will save on travel expense.

You did not mention the specific location, "South Texas" is a pretty big area. Post up the nearest town.
I have some beekeeper buddies south of San Antonio I may be able to refer to you.

We are about an hour from SA. They are pretty aggressive. Problem is the comb is under the container and no way to get under it. What. Would a pear burner do ? There is a small hole they get in at the base of the container where a varmint has dug. If we cover the hole varmints dig a new one and bees still have access

Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Bee removal - 10/20/15 05:15 AM

Here is a post related to bees but not from South Texas

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5973067/Bees#Post5973067

Re: Bee removal - 10/20/15 05:18 AM

And here is a recent news link related to South Texas bees

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/weird/South-Texas-Farmer-Dies-From-Bee-Attack-310688311.html

I think your problem is worse than mine
Posted By: duk4me

Re: Bee removal - 10/20/15 02:06 PM

I've been reading the forum for quiet a while and this is my first post and its a strange one. TLK please take this dangerous situation seriously. A couple of years ago my wife, my dogs, and I were attacked by africanised bees. Long story short they killed both my dogs, stung my wife 15 times, and stung me approximately 200 to 300 times. They are relentless and the only way to defend yourself is to run as fast and far as you can unless you can get into an enclosed area quickly. They quit stinging me about two hundred yards from the hive.

PLease take this advice get a professional to handle this because you could easily end up dead.

Re: Bee removal - 10/20/15 08:09 PM

No kidding

Did you read that new article that I linked?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Bee removal - 10/20/15 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: duk4me
I've been reading the forum for quiet a while and this is my first post and its a strange one. TLK please take this dangerous situation seriously. A couple of years ago my wife, my dogs, and I were attacked by africanised bees. Long story short they killed both my dogs, stung my wife 15 times, and stung me approximately 200 to 300 times. They are relentless and the only way to defend yourself is to run as fast and far as you can unless you can get into an enclosed area quickly. They quit stinging me about two hundred yards from the hive.

PLease take this advice get a professional to handle this because you could easily end up dead.

You don't happen to be around the San Angelo area, are you? Exact same thing happened to one of our neighbors a few years back.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Bee removal - 10/20/15 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
Originally Posted By: texasair

We are about an hour from SA. They are pretty aggressive. Problem is the comb is under the container and no way to get under it. What. Would a pear burner do ?

There is a small hole they get in at the base of the container where a varmint has dug. If we cover the hole varmints dig a new one and bees still have access

You could cover and put down predator wire, mesh of some sort or concrete around perimeter. After removal and other suggesionts. No expert on bees just thinking about the varmint problem.

Re: Bee removal - 10/21/15 09:01 AM

No we live in Daingerfield the attack was at our lease house north of Clarksville on the Red River. It was one of the northern most verified attacks in Texas. The infestation was so bad they burned and bulldozed the house. We had a couple of members with young children and I shudder to think what would have happened to them if they were attacked.
Posted By: Anderson Custom Photograp

Re: Bee removal - 10/21/15 03:12 PM

I know from experience that you have to remove the hive or another swarm will come along and move in.

Re: Bee removal - 10/21/15 03:22 PM

That is correct in our instance the hive was in the walls of the house and couldn't be removed without totally demolishing the dry wall. The owner was afraid of getting sued so they thought the best recourse was to destroy the house. Shame it was a decent three bedroom older brick house.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Bee removal - 10/21/15 08:58 PM

http://www.beeremovalsource.com/bee-removal-list/texas/
Got one in Laredo and bunch more in the SA area or south of it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Bee removal - 10/21/15 09:04 PM

I would put on an insulated suit and boot/gloves tape up writs and ancles make a bee suit hat and face mask and get everyone else dogs etc away and roach bomb them.

May try moving container afterwards. Have had Africanized bees in the wall of an old farm house we stay in periodically at my grandmothers place if you don't get the comb out they will come back in time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum