Texas Hunting Forum

Learning how to hunt as an Adult

Posted By: MathGuy06

Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 04:05 PM

Hey guys, I've been looking all over for info on this topic. I can't find too much.

I want to learn how to hunt and go hunting. I've never been hunting. I don't really know anyone that goes hunting.

Do you guys have any advice for me? ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 04:08 PM

Hunters safety first and foremost.
Posted By: esnow74

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

yes, start there then maybe hunt with an outfitter for a doe or hog hunt to get the first animal under your belt with someone experienced.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 04:20 PM

Hog hunts are cheap, high success, and low stress. Next, graduate up to doe hunts, which are very similar. Pick hunts where field dressing is included so you can see how it's done in real life and then watch videos on Youtube for some hints and tips. When you are successful, and you will be, take your game to a good processor, like Kuby's, so you can enjoy the results of your hunt.

So .. hunter's safety course is #1. Next question, have you done much shooting or is that new territory also?
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 04:27 PM

Learn about the firearm that you will be using, gun range time, dry fire practice at home. Pick only one firearm until you can advance. A 22, shotgun, rifle, bow etc. get the education along with Hunter Safety, then advance to the outdoors.
We all had to learn step by step. I don't know your knowledge of firearms.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 04:46 PM

Be safe, have fun.
Posted By: Ringman

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 04:48 PM

Hunter's safety - which has good basics for gun safety.
Before you invest in firearms, I suggest you find a gun range in your area.
There are some real good indoor and/or outdoor ranges. Along with classes in gun safety and operation, you can rent guns to try before you buy. They also can give you a list of folks that provide training for all types of shooting interests.
Get some range time to improve your skills at shooting and then book some inexpensive hunts (as others mentioned, hogs are a good start).
Don't be shy about telling folks that you lack experience. My opinion is that most people in the shooting sports are happy to help out when people are interested in learning. Most run out of patience when people act and talk like the already know everything.
Be safe and enjoy.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
welcome

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 05:40 PM

My apologies, I should have provided more detail.

I'm very busy with life right now (two young kids), so trying to do some long term planning right now.

I've shot handguns, shotguns, and some rifles. I wouldn't say I have had any training who REALLY know what they were doing. So yes, I will need A LOT more practice before I ever went hunting. My old hobby is brazilian jiu-jitsu and my current hobby is lifting weights, so I understand how important "getting your reps in" when learning a new skill.

Thanks Ringman, I was going to ask about getting training for shooting. Sounds like going to the shooting range and talking to people is the way to go.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I greatly appreciate it. Sounds like hogs and then Doe would be the way to go.

What would a good starter rifle?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 05:47 PM

You will need a Hunter Safety Card.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 06:02 PM

welcome

Get involved with shooting and any hunting organizations if you have the time. As with anything, best way to learn is by having a mentor or mentors whom you can learn from.

If you can afford something in the $800-1000 range, a nice Remington 700, Winchester Model 70 (or something similar) in .270 Win. or .30-06 caliber with a nice Leupold Vari - X2 variable power (3-9X, 4-12X or similar) on top will be a good "starter" rifle that will also be a good "finisher" rifle that will last your entire life.

The question of what rifle and caliber to get has a million answers. As with everything starting out, the best advice is to keep it simple. Even those of us hunting for 45 years finally realize that is usually still the best advice.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 06:18 PM

Make some friends that hunt. Hunting alone is like playing golf alone. Not that much fun but better than nothing.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 06:43 PM

welcome ta THF... flag

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: MathGuy06
(snip)

I was afraid you'd ask this, so I'll offer this suggestion. Buy one that fits you well and has cheap and plentiful ammo; if Wal-mart doesn't carry the ammo, then get something else. More specific suggestions get complicated in that I don't know how much you want to spend, whether you want a one-gun-does-everything rifle or if you are willing to get two or three rifles over time. Also, be sure to budget for a quality scope; it's not optional.

The sound bite answer is to buy a Remington 700 in .308, assuming you can find one that fits you and that you can afford.
Posted By: redfred

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 08:31 PM

A good way to get into hunting is to go where the hunters are - shooting ranges, sporting goods and outdoors stores, gun shows. Strike up a conversation and let them know you're just getting started, and if they are like most hunters I know, it will open the gates. You will definitely get pointers, and if you're lucky, maybe an invitation to tag along on a hunt. Don't expect trophy bucks, get the experience you need shooting small game, does, and pigs. If you prove to be a good sportsman and good listener, you will probably get invited back.
As far as a starter rifle, I'd go with a .30-06, .270, or .308, but you can get a hundred answers here, everybody has their favorite. Whatever you get, practice with it, not only sitting at a bench, but in situations like you would find hunting, standing, sitting, kneeling, etc.
As for me, I used to hunt a lot when I was a kid, but about the time I went to college, my Dad (and hunting partner) passed away, I got married and had kids, and got busy with all that entails. I didn't pick up a gun for 30 years. A few years ago, I got a chance to shoot a buck at my boss's ranch and it lit the fire for me all over again. I don't have a lot of money to put into hunting, so I have a few used guns and a Public Hunting license, so I can spend some time outdoors without going broke. I have a few friends that have invited me to hunt on their property, to hunt does or pigs.
Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope you get the chance to hunt soon.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 08:43 PM

Wow......Thanks to everyone for all the great responses. I'm glad this forum was so welcoming to me. I guess I will have to stick around now ..... smile....
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 10:33 PM

It's like a box of chocolate, ya never know what u goin to get.
Welcome to THF.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/16/15 11:12 PM

Keep in mind that hunting requires knowledge and skill in multiple areas. First, you want to learn about shooting and/or archery. Next, you want to learn about the behavior of the animal you're after so you can put together a plan that gives you the best chance of harvesting one. And finally, good woodsmenship skills will help keep you comfortable and safe it all types of weather conditions, even when you find yourself hunting in an unfamiliar area.

I would suggest paying a visit to your local public library where you should find some good books for beginners. You'll likely find one that will include information on all the areas I mentioned earlier. As for magazines, I'm a long time reader of Deer and Deer Hunting because just as the title implies, it covers both deer behaviors and hunting tactics and methods.

Good luck!!
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/18/15 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Keep in mind that hunting requires knowledge and skill in multiple areas. First, you want to learn about shooting and/or archery. Next, you want to learn about the behavior of the animal you're after so you can put together a plan that gives you the best chance of harvesting one. And finally, good woodsmenship skills will help keep you comfortable and safe it all types of weather conditions, even when you find yourself hunting in an unfamiliar area.

I would suggest paying a visit to your local public library where you should find some good books for beginners. You'll likely find one that will include information on all the areas I mentioned earlier. As for magazines, I'm a long time reader of Deer and Deer Hunting because just as the title implies, it covers both deer behaviors and hunting tactics and methods.

Good luck!!

I think this a very good response. But I'll take a different rack:

Why do you want to hunt? Hunting has lots of benefits and disciplines.

Are you interested in getting meat? Proficiency with firearms? Outdoor experience? The thrill of the harvest? Getting interactive with nature/animals? Comraderie of hunting camp/others? The challenge? Most hunters have a combination of all these factors/disciplines - but not always in the same mix or proportions.

This is why you have some guys get into bow hunting, long range shooting, trophy hunting, exotics, meat hunting, etc.

And your interests can change over time.

The shooting part is this easiest, really. It doesn't take much practice to be able to make a reasonable kill zone shot. The difficult part is finding a place to hunt and the cost. Hog hunts are popular and affordable. Exotic meat hunts aren't too much more. Whitetail hunting gets expensive very quick. From paid hunts to leases.

Once you get your safety stuff out of the way, and spend some time at the range, the best thing is to make some friends who are hunters - you can do that right here. Other than bird hunting, hog hunting is great way to get experience on live animals.

The most important thing you will learn - best from an older, more experienced Hunter - is the ethics behind the sport. Learning how to pick your shots, not be a shoot-em-up, and developing a one-shot, one-kill humane harvest.

I -we all -welcome you to the sport. We need more hunters. But we don't want unethical jerks - not implying you are - but most/best hunters are usually those who get into the sport under the wing of a dad/parent, grandfather, older brother, etc who teaches all these "intangibles". It's hard for an adult to get this experience without a mentor.

I, and I'm sure others here, would welcome a chance to provide this if you are willing to learn. Having a buddy on your first hunt is beneficial to offer advice like, "no, don't take that shot", or "there's a good animal to take", "breathe and squeeze". Plus, it will be much more enjoyable to share the experience.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/18/15 03:41 AM

Well said Mr John Humbert, Well said indeed.

the only advice I'd offer is to gain the necessary field skills is to take up the same sport that folks used to start their yourng men with...squirrel hunting.

SUCESSFUL Squirrel hunting will begin to teach you the finer arts of woodsmanship albeit directed as a specie specific..but the skills are tranferable to big game hunting or other forms of rifle hunting. Squirrel hunting is fairly inexpensive compared to deer hunting, needing only a scope sighted mid priced quality & I much prefer a bolt action rimfire here rather than a semi auto Spray & Pray kind of 22lr rifle and a pair of mid range binoculars, plus of course some rough wear clothes and waterproof boots...with enough field position or off hand shooting practice to consistently make 50/60 yard 1 1/2"-2" diameter head shots and a TPW $48 Type II Hunting Permit to be able to hunt public ground plus the usual Hunting License. Then graduate to cottontails and other vermin type game critters of opportunity in the winter and longer shots while you hone your stealthy still hunting skills on the same Type II hunting grounds....then some 100 yard shots with the 22lr that will prepare you for 200-300 yard shots on bigger game with a centerfire rifle.

Patience, learning field lore ie where to look for what kind of critter based on what they eat, where they sleep etc and ID of footprints & other animal sign, and continual distance estimation & confirmation in the field can make a walk in the ungroomed parts of a city park very interesting even without a gun in your hand. Have fun gaining the new Natural World knowledge and the harvesting part will come much easier than you think and is certainly more interesting than sitting in a box blind staring at a corn feeder 100 yards away that was placed by some other guy who knew as little as possible....just that deer are "supposed to come to corn feeders 'cause the guy at the store said they would"...sometimes they do...snd lots of times they don't. You need to know why that happens and what to do about it, if anything. You can't read your way to this knowledge....you need to get out of the civilized world and inot the the Natural World to smell, touch, see, hear what ALL the critters are doing and talking about...but it helps tons to be familiar with what others have learned and make a living sharing that knowledge from commercial How To Books that can be found at used book stores and similar outlets.

Yes it helps tremendously if you have an experieced mentor...but I didn't and didn't start hunting until my late late teens and early 20's. It is never too late to learn a new skill if you keep an open mind and an eager curiosity about Mother Nature. You'll find out the truism of "The Only Dumb ?? is the one you didn't ask". Everybody's got a Nose and an Opinion, pretty soon you recognize reality from fantasy.
Ron

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/18/15 03:58 AM

"Everybody's got a Nose", LOL! Isn't that the truth?

This thread is far more sensible and supportive than I expected. Once again the Forum has exceeded my expectation. Well done. The only thing I can add to the good advice on this thread is this: remember that it's supposed to be fun. Don't worry about doing things "right". If you're having fun and you're legal, then you're doing it right.

smile
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/18/15 03:58 AM

Lots of wisdom and sage advise in this thread.... cheers
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/18/15 11:03 AM

"We need more hunters." That's an understatement for sure. We have plenty of deer "shooters" who simply watch a feeder to see what shows up to eat, while the numbers of those who spend considerable time focusing on tactics and strategy is falling quickly. Should feeders ever become illegal as a result of a disease outbreak, such as CWD, I suspect license sales would fall like a rock.
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/18/15 02:38 PM

I was in the same boat about 3 years ago. All the advice you've gotten so far is correct. There is public land near you where you can hike around and learn to look for sign. I spent a couple years "rifle hiking" with no success (i.e. kills), but I learned a ton. You'll see a lot of people on the forums say you'll get shot at if you hunt public land, but if you hike in a little and avoid opening weekend, you can go entire days without seeing another person.

Go on a couple outfitter hunts to get confidence in your shooting and learn to field dress. Make some connections on the forums and you'll find some good advice and good people.

I can PM you some book recommendations if you're interested.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/18/15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: MathGuy06
My apologies, I should have provided more detail.

I'm very busy with life right now (two young kids), so trying to do some long term planning right now.

I've shot handguns, shotguns, and some rifles. I wouldn't say I have had any training who REALLY know what they were doing. So yes, I will need A LOT more practice before I ever went hunting. My old hobby is brazilian jiu-jitsu and my current hobby is lifting weights, so I understand how important "getting your reps in" when learning a new skill.

Thanks Ringman, I was going to ask about getting training for shooting. Sounds like going to the shooting range and talking to people is the way to go.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I greatly appreciate it. Sounds like hogs and then Doe would be the way to go.

What belt and I hope you haven't stopped!?!?!?!

There's a lot of "good" starter rifles. Most people on here are partial to the Remington 700, and that's a pretty great gun. Savage also makes a great gun, and Ruger's American are also at that price range (the "base models"). Then you get into mid quality M700s, Weatherby Vanguards, Browning's A-Bolt, Tikka T3, and so on. Hope that helps.

welcome
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/18/15 04:43 PM

Fella,

After you get all the preliminary hunting safety done, I'm gonna give you the secrets to a life of successful hunting, fret free.

30-06 or 308 with a Leupold
Trioxane
Rubber Boots
Be Still
Hunt high in the morning, low in the evening

Thats it, you are now a master hunter!
Posted By: Regular Guy

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/19/15 09:30 AM

You need to get out there and try, first and foremost. I recommend a good shotgun to start because it will allow you to hunt everything, from doves to squirrels to deer, with the right load. Get out there and get a few squirrels. Be observant and you can learn a lot about animal behavior, you might even stalk up on a deer. Animals all have habits, once you find a deer you are liable to find him in the same place around the same time of day the next time you are out. Except that next time you bring slugs.

I have never killed a deer, but I have walked right up on several while stalking squirrels in North Carolina- with just a pellet rifle. Which, by the way, is a great way to hone your off-hand skills. Squirrels with an air rifle are a lot of fun. I walked up on the same doe in about the same spot, on probably 3 or 4 consecutive squirrel hunts one season. And i mean right up on her, probably within 15 yards- on public land, during deer season! They have daily habits and follow patterns just like people do.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/19/15 06:00 PM

Most importantly, if you hunt over "feed", it ain't much to be proud of.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/19/15 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Treinta-Treinta
Most importantly, if you hunt over "feed", it ain't much to be proud of.
roflmao
Posted By: HS2

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/19/15 11:20 PM

This year, wait till after hunting season is over and take your kids for hikes in the outdoors. Pack a lunch and make it fun for you and the kids. Look for tracks and scat and signs, and enjoy looking at all the things in the outdoors. That way you can learn what to look for while you're spending time with your family. When the kids get older you can all do it together. The more time you spend, the more you'll get the hang of it. Watch online videos and read message boards like this one.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/20/15 01:20 AM

I started hunting at age 44, with limited time go on outfitter hunts for hogs does or even management bucks.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/20/15 01:23 AM

See trienta trienta above and learn to hunt the wind. When you have the time get on a lease with good folks and seek out advise from the successful experienced hunters. Enjoy it is a lifestyle for a lifetime.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/20/15 12:29 PM

Get a book by Gene Wensel called "Buckskin & Bone". Get a book by Steve Chapman called "A look at life from a deer stand".

I think you achieve Master status when deer is the last thing you worry about while on the stand. You appreciate things like a lone redbird in a backdrop of gray.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/20/15 01:51 PM

To start scouting and hunters safety is a big part. Learn the ways of the woods recognize used trails,scrapes, rubs, poop, feeding areas just any sign of the animal you are trying to hunt.
Posted By: Mako1970

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/20/15 05:51 PM

You haven't really said what you were interested in hunting. Many, like myself, enjoy hunting all sorts of things. A lot of things depend on your situation but I started out with small game like doves, squirrels and rabbits and then moved to ducks and geese. I have only recently got into deer and hogs. One thing I like about small game hunting for beginners is a theoretrical higher potential for success. Normally I would say this for a kid but I guess it could apply to adults as well. I do think having success helps in reducing the frustration level. But that is also atrributed to what your expectation level is. I read in a magazine a long time ago that just getting to go hunting was one of the greatest things. Seeing something was just extra and harvesting was just the ultimate. I have had many hunts where nothing was shot but that didn't make it a disappointment. Nowadays too many people rate the hunt by their success and fail to recognize the thrill of just getting to go.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/21/15 05:02 PM

I had some kids and I stopped (Time and Financial constraints). I was getting very close to my blue belt (I had blue belt level top game......bottom game not so much).......John Machado just opened a school in Allen, so very tempting to start again, just goes back to time constraints.

Do you Train BJJ?

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/21/15 05:04 PM

Wow.....I'm truly overwhelmed by the wealth of info given...I never expected this.....I'm going to have to reread this thread a few times to fully get all of the info dispensed. Thanks so much......
Posted By: GLC

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/21/15 05:38 PM

Do you have a firearm/bow or hunting license yet? May be able to take you hog hunting if we can put together something on a weekend sometimes. If you don't have a shot gun or a rifle I can also loan you one for the hunt but you have to have a license.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/26/15 02:37 AM

Some good info has already been provided in other responses but I want to comment on your jiu-jitsu experience. I don't know any form of martial arts but I believe you have already learned an important aspect of *shooting* (which also relates to hunting) in your jiu-jitsu training and may not even realize it... self-control (calming yourself, thus breathing). Uncontrolled emotion impacts heart rate, vision, breathing... which impacts shooting whether at a target or an animal.

A general firearms safety class, hunters safety, range time, guided hunts, this site and you'll be off and hunting on your own in no time.

To success,
Mickey

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/26/15 02:39 PM

Thanks Mickey, yeah if you don't learn to breathe and relax in Jiu-jitsu, you're going to be in some trouble.....
Posted By: chicklitter

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult - 10/28/15 02:00 AM

I didn't start hunting until 3 years ago (I'll be 35 in a couple of weeks), so learning to hunt as an adult is definitely doable. My husband grew up hunting, but I never did as a kid (fished a lot, though), so I'm lucky in that I have someone who's been showing me the ropes. There are also some older land owners out by us who have kind of adopted us, and they've also helped when I've needed it. But I've also watched a ton of YouTube videos, read a lot, talked to a lot of people, etc. Hunter safety is a must, as is finding a gun you're comfortable with. And as someone who's still pretty new to this hunting thing, I would also add: don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they might be dumb. We all start from the beginning, and I've found that hunters are some of the nicest, most giving people out there. They'll share their stories, their tips, and their time with you if you're willing to learn and serious about what you're doing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum